+ Reply to Thread
Page 1197 of 1218 FirstFirst ... 197 697 1097 1147 1187 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1207 ... LastLast
Results 29,901 to 29,925 of 30431

Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JLJ81 View Post
    Keuchel is coming off one of his worst seasons and is 31 years old. he also has some injury history. He's pitched 200 innings in only 1 of his last 3 seasons. Last year he had his worst WHIP since 2013, his worst k/9 since 2014, his worst strikeout to walk ratio since 2013, most walks in his career, and gave up the most hits in his career by a wide margin.

He wanted ace type money. He's worth #3 or #4 type money now.

Either he will get a 1 year higher AAV deal or he is looking at Happ type money on a 2-3 year deal.

With Kershaw's shoulder barking like it is, I expect Keuchel to be a Dodger any second, now.

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    With Kershaw's shoulder barking like it is, I expect Keuchel to be a Dodger any second, now.
    It makes a lot of sense for Keuchel to join the NL. He wouldn't have to face the DH and he should go to a pitcher friendly park like San Diego, San Francisco, NY Mets, Pittsburgh, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    The 1996 Yankees had its share of free agents too. Even thought we traded for Cone, we signed him as a free agent prior to the 1996 season. Key, Gooden and Rogers were free agent signings too. Along with Duncan, Girardi and Boggs. Strawberry was purchased from some independent team so he was basically a free agent too. A great team with some key trades before the season and mid-season. I can still vividly remember Girardi hitting that triple and running those bases like his butt was on fire. Paulie making that great catch with his strain hammy. Leyritz homerun and Charlie Hayes catching the last out. I had tears in my eyes. It was 18 long years since I last experienced a Yankee WS championship.
    Hereís where the big money went on that team:

1. Sierra/Fielder - both acquired in trades.
    2. Paul OíNeill - acquired in the Roberto Kelly trade. Felt like one of our own.
    3. Kenny Rogers - a Free Agent disappointment. Not a big factor in winning.
    4. David Cone - acquired in trade & then re-signed. A New Yorker.
    5. John Wetteland - acquired in trade.

Yes, that team did have its share of Free Agents, but except for Rogers, they were not making the big money on that team. The next highest salary on that team was Bernie who was making substantially less than Wetteland. The salaries scaled down from there.

Cone was a special case. While he was technically a FA, everyone knew when the Yankees traded for him that he was staying here. Moreover, the fact that he had come up through the Metsí organization and established himself as a star here made it feel like he was coming home. In fact, the additions of Gooden and Darryl made it feel like a homecoming for all 3, a Metsí reunion in the Bronx. They were all New Yorkers at heart, our own.

Speaking of Gooden and Darryl, they along with Duncan all made less than a million $$$ apiece. Doc and Darryl in particular were more reclamation projects than typical FAs. George was going through his Father Flanagan phase, turning Yankee astadium into Boysí Tiwn East.

While itís true that this team had itís share of FAs, itís success wasnít built around FAs. The stars of that team were Bernie, Pauly, Derek, Andy, and Mo.

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Hopefully. It may be optimistic though to assume he's back to his old self that quickly. The smart play is to assume you won't get much if anything from him this year while hoping he can be an asset if injuries pile up. I guess though we should at least have a good sense of what to expect from him prior to the trade deadline. I personally think of him more as a 2020 option and am holding out hope he's healthy enough to start his minor league rehab in July and spends probably a good month plus getting it all back. Ideally, we'll have that luxury with him, but we'll see.
    I think thatís exactly how theyíre playing it, which is why they signed CC for a year. The normal time table for the return of a pitcher who had surgery when he did would be rehab in July and major leagues around the trade deadline or so. Every case is different.

The point is that heíll be back to give it a shot if they need him. They already have a full rotation, so they may not need him. In that case, they can go slow with his return. But if they do need him, heís there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    I think thatís exactly how theyíre playing it, which is why they signed CC for a year. The normal time table for the return of a pitcher who had surgery when he did would be rehab in July and major leagues around the trade deadline or so. Every case is different.

The point is that heíll be back to give it a shot if they need him. They already have a full rotation, so they may not need him. In that case, they can go slow with his return. But if they do need him, heís there.
    Hopefully they donít CMW him.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    Will Montgomery be like Kaprielan who had TJS in April 17 and just made 40 man roster last fall or Wheeler who lost 2 seasons? Or Strassburg at about 12 months? Maybe a September call up.
    Kaprielian is a bad comp. his progress in returning was set back by unrelated shoulder problems.

Wheeler is an interesting case because his delays in returning were due to arm problems although not involving the tendon on which the TJ surgery had been done. There is no doubt that TJ surgery comes with risk. Some players never make it back. Perhaps arm problems like Wheelerís while not directly related to the original tendon tear, are indirectly related to a damaged arm.

Thereís really no way of knowing what Montyís path back will be. Just as with Didi, all the Yankees can do is plan on the normal progression of return and then deal with whatever happens if itís different. Just one of many unknowns in any season.

Here’s where the big money went on that team:

1. Sierra/Fielder - both acquired in trades.
    2. Paul O’Neill - acquired in the Roberto Kelly trade. Felt like one of our own.
    3. Kenny Rogers - a Free Agent disappointment. Not a big factor in winning.
    4. David Cone - acquired in trade & then re-signed. A New Yorker.
    5. John Wetteland - acquired in trade.

Yes, that team did have its share of Free Agents, but except for Rogers, they were not making the big money on that team. The next highest salary on that team was Bernie who was making substantially less than Wetteland. The salaries scaled down from there.

Cone was a special case. While he was technically a FA, everyone knew when the Yankees traded for him that he was staying here. Moreover, the fact that he had come up through the Mets’ organization and established himself as a star here made it feel like he was coming home. In fact, the additions of Gooden and Darryl made it feel like a homecoming for all 3, a Mets’ reunion in the Bronx. They were all New Yorkers at heart, our own.

Speaking of Gooden and Darryl, they along with Duncan all made less than a million $$$ apiece. Doc and Darryl in particular were more reclamation projects than typical FAs. George was going through his Father Flanagan phase, turning Yankee astadium into Boys’ Tiwn East.

While it’s true that this team had it’s share of FAs, it’s success wasn’t built around FAs. The stars of that team were Bernie, Pauly, Derek, Andy, and Mo.
    I never said it's success was built around free agents, I said they had their share of free agents. We all knew who were the stars of that team. Furthermore, Cone was a free agent and though he was declared a free agent in early November, he didn't sign until just days before Christmas. Anyhow, my point is that Yankees team had about a quarter of their roster taken up by free agents. The amount of money they signed for isn't part of my argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    Hopefully they donít CMW him.
    Ugh.

I never said it's success was built around free agents, I said they had a number of free agents. We all knew who were the stars of that team. Furthermore, Cone was a free agent and though he was declared a free agent in early November, he didn't sign until just days before Christmas. Anyhow, my point is that Yankees team had about a quarter of their roster taken up by free agents. The amount of money they signed for isn't part of my argument.
    I understand. I thought you made great points. I wasn’t being critical, just approaching it from a different POV.

There’s no arguing with the fact that they had the highest payroll in baseball, that they had a lot of FAs, and that a number of them were making good money. Your points were well taken.

I appreciate that you got me thinking about that team. Brought back great memories.

I see CC has signed with ESPN as a baseball analyst. Remember when we thought ESPN was bias against the Yankees? Evidently, the President of ESPN is a big-time Yankees fan from Scarsdale.

https://www.sny.tv/yankees/news/yank...utor/304773386

I understand. I thought you made great points. I wasnít being critical, just approaching it from a different POV.

Thereís no arguing with the fact that they had the highest payroll in baseball, that they had a lot of FAs, and that a number of them were making good money. Your points were well taken.

I appreciate that you got me thinking about that team. Brought back great memories.
    They had the highest payroll, but it was like 61-62 million. Talk about revenue and payroll growth.

Speaking of that 1996 team. Does anybody remember a game between the Yankees and Orioles in which Mo came in and loaded the bases with no outs in a close game at Yankee Stadium? You could tell on TV, he was pissed so he proceeded to strike out the next three batters on 9-10 pitches. His stuff was simply nasty during that pitch sequence.

Speaking of that 1996 team. Does anybody remember a game between the Yankees and Orioles in which Mo came in and loaded the bases with no outs in a close game at Yankee Stadium? You could tell on TV, he was pissed so he proceeded to strike out the next three batters on 9-10 pitches. His stuff was simply nasty during that pitch sequence.

Ahh the Betances special.

Ball 4, Ball 8, Ball 12...
    Strike 3, Strike 6, Strike 9..

No runs, no hits, no errors, no contact, 3 men left on..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    Ahh the Betances special.

Ball 4, Ball 8, Ball 12...
    Strike 3, Strike 6, Strike 9..

No runs, no hits, no errors, no contact, 3 men left on..
    If anyone did that it was D-rob in 2011.
    Every batters faced were either K or BB. When he was on, he wasn't just unhittable, you couldn't make contact.

He had a 399 ERA+. His WHIP (1.125) was higher than his ERA (1.08). Think about that. To put that into perspective, Mo's highest ERA+ was 316 (and he was only above 300 twice) and he averaged 205 through his career. His lowest ERA ever was 1.38. His highest WHIP was 1.186.
    Basically, he had a lower ERA than Mo's best season, 30% higher ERA+ than Mo's best season while having a WHIP that matched Mo's worst season (which correlated to a 239 ERA+/1.88ERA if you're wondering)

Of the 272 batters faced, 143 were non-contact (BB, K, HBP)- 52.6%. 100 were K - 36.6%. 36.6% K rate. (13.5K/9IP). And about 44% of hitters that didn't BB, K'ed

Let me compare to Mo's debatably best (2008) season, which was strangely age 38 for him:
    259 BF, 77K, 2HBP, 6BB (crazy, only 6).
    32.8% non-contact result
    29.7% k rate

If you're wondering Mo's average just to put into perspective:
    30.3% non-contact result
    23% k rate
    Career 1.000 WHIP, 2.12 ERA

(No, Im not saying D-rob was a better pitcher over their career. I'm just pointing out how crazy his season was)

edit: math
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

NYYF Legend

i will go one better. Only us old timers will remember though. Back in Sept 1978. Yankees at home vs. Seattle. Seattle was really bad that year. Jim Beattie pitching. Had one of his better games. Held Seattle to scoreless through 7. Gave up a 2 run triple to someone in the 8th. Yankees still ahead 4-2 heading into the 9th. Lyle came in and did not have it. Gave up a couple of hits and a RBI double. Runners on 2nd and 3rd, no one out.

Gossage comes in. You can see during his warm-ups that he is breathing fire. Fired 9 pitches, all strikes, one faster than the next. They could not touch him. 3 Ks, inning over. No pitch guns in those days, but he was as fast as ever.

Another amazing memory from that day was a base-loaded, 2 out triple by Chambliss to plate 3 in the 1st. Chris was not the fastest guy around, but he really motored around the bases that time. Place went nuts. By the way, Seattle intentionally walked Pinella to get to Chambliss, and he made them pay, big time.

Iím surprised Key wasnít one of the top paid guys.

Also, I believe NYY won every playoff game Rogers started that year

So sonny gray was talking a little trash about the coaches. Maybe justified. They are pretty inept.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moscutter View Post
    So sonny gray was talking a little trash about the coaches. Maybe justified. They are pretty inept.
    I donít think we should blame the coaches for Grayís remarkable inability to pitch at Yankee Stadium.

Luis Severino scratched from today's game with right shoulder discomfort.

Yeah, that would be our season right there. This team cant catch a beeak...
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    Luis Severino scratched from today's game with right shoulder discomfort.

Yeah, that would be our season right there. This team cant catch a beeak...

If serious, Dallas Keuchel come on down....

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Obnoxio View Post
    Iím surprised Key wasnít one of the top paid guys.

Also, I believe NYY won every playoff game Rogers started that year
    They actually won every game he appeared in, he made 1 relief appearance and 3 starts He was kind of a good luck charm in the playoffs that year. Though they seemed to win in spite of him rather than because of him as he complied a 14.14 ERA and 3.00 WHIP over 7 IP and 4 appearances. LOL
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by RI Yankee Fan View Post
    Keuchel just got a bunch of leverage if that's the case.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

NYYF Legend

Yankee Twitter is in full blown panic mode about Severino right now. Can't say I'm not concerned.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    Keuchel just got a bunch of leverage if that's the case.

Truth.

Esp with the other news that CC won't be ready for opening day.

I can't imagine the Yankees would roll down two starters and use Cessa and Company as stop gaps..........

Oh wait, yes I can.

Quote Originally Posted by RI Yankee Fan View Post
    More like Cessa, step on up.

Thread Information