+ Reply to Thread
Page 1157 of 1218 FirstFirst ... 157 657 1057 1107 1147 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1167 1207 ... LastLast
Results 28,901 to 28,925 of 30431
    NYYF Legend

Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    I recently read somewhere the Yanks chose LeMahieu over the other available FA utility players (Gonzalez included, who I had my eyes on since November) because of his defense, realizing how shaky their IF defense might be.
    Too bad we didn't need a 2nd baseman. This was easily my least favorite move of the offseason. Now they'll shoehorn him into the lineup at all costs to justify the signing. They're already talking about him as a backup 1st baseman. The guy with a career 84 wRC+ against RHP is going to get reps at 1B.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    Not to mention what Gerrit Cole was traded for compared to what the asking price for the Yankees was.

And somehow Moncada=Sale if Cashman signed him
    Teams always charge a Yankees premium over what other teams offer.

NYYF HOF

If they’re pinching pennies they should have gone for Iglesias over DJL. He looks like he’s gonna sign a minor league deal.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    Mo bends. Mo don't break.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by luis pecorino View Post
    Yup...

And, despite their age difference, I’ll take Sale over Severino 10 out of 10 times.

But you would take 6 years of control of Severino + Gary Sanchez + 2 other prospects over 3 years of Sale at $13 per year.

I still think they should have signed Moncada for either trade chip usage or kept him if he realized his potential, but without Moncada there's no way I would have dealt Severino and Gary for Sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Mixwell View Post
    Let's not forget about the Schilling trade after the Yankees offered a legitimate package to Arizona and they turned around and sent him to Boston for a bag of balls.
    That was still back when the Yankees were king though and hated by everyone (I guess the latter hasnt changed) and the Red Sox were the lovable loser underdogs. Now the RS are the top payroll in baseball and have 4 titles in 14 years.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

Quote Originally Posted by mb123 View Post
    Let's just hope Severino stats from 2nd half '19 are not a sign of whats to come:
    5-6
    5.57 ERA
    .290 BA
    Severino actually recovered from that slump and put up a 2.04 ERA in his last 3 starts. Not to minimize what was an awful run, but it was a stretch of 9 games, not the entire 2nd half.

To continue the earlier comparison, Sale had a 9 game stretch in the 2nd half of 2015 when he put up a 5.24 ERA, and he had an even worse 9 game run the following season with a 5.56 ERA and a .291 BAA.

These things happen and I’m confident that they are just growing pains for Severino. As much as he struggled, I can’t ignore how sensationally good he was for the first half when he went 14-2 with a 2.31 ERA and may have been the best pitcher in the league or how good he was the year before when he finished 3rd in CYA voting. A bad 2 months doean’t negate all the good things he showed before that.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Too bad we didn't need a 2nd baseman. This was easily my least favorite move of the offseason. Now they'll shoehorn him into the lineup at all costs to justify the signing. They're already talking about him as a backup 1st baseman. The guy with a career 84 wRC+ against RHP is going to get reps at 1B.
    I hope he hits and does well, but this was definitely the eye-brow raising move of the offseason. If it doesn't work out, I think a lot of people will be less likely to say things like "the Yankees have so much information we don't" and to put that faith in analytics we haven't seen.

Oh and please grab Jose Igelias on that minor league deal. He'd have a much clearer path to a roster spot and playing time here than with the Reds with the last spot on the bench still open and a Tulo injury or ineffectiveness a distinct possibility. The faith in Tyler Wade and Gio Urshela as our primary depth options is perhaps even more eye-brow raising than the DJL addition.

Not a fan of DJL signing, but if he can hit more like his 2016/2017 road splits (.298/.350/.400/.750) and plays the bulk of his time at 2nd base then he could be an asset. 2/$24M looking like an overpay right now though.
    Let's Go Yankees!

Quote Originally Posted by Pakimobzta View Post
    Not a fan of DJL signing, but if he can hit more like his 2016/2017 road splits (.298/.350/.750) and plays the bulk of his time at 2nd base then he could be an asset. 2/$24M looking like an overpay right now though.
    His BP bat today was unimpressive.

Same with gleybars. Surprised how short he is.

NYYF Legend

The most perplexing thing for me about the 2019 team - they literally benched Andujar in the playoffs because of his defense and they benched Gardner for the second half of the season (and the playoffs), yet they went back and slotted Andujar at 3B and Gardner as the starting LF.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    The most perplexing thing for me about the 2019 team - they literally benched Andujar in the playoffs because of his defense and they benched Gardner for the second half of the season (and the playoffs), yet they went back and slotted Andujar at 3B and Gardner as the starting LF.
    Unless Ellsbury is truly toast and Gardner is slated for expensive 4th OF (which I guess is OK given how long he's been with the org) I did not understand resigning him.

I can somewhat understand counting on Andujar under the theory that they believe he can improve defensively with the off season work program they had for him even if I'm not crazy about the idea of him starting 140 games at 3B myself.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

I think this situation naturally resolves itself second half when Didi is back. Gardner goes back to the bench as a 4th OF who occasionally might split time with DJL when an OF needs a DH day. Andujar would play a lot more DH barring massive improvements. Tulo if still around and healthy is the last man on the bench. If someone else gets injured or is ineffective they'll shift and possibly trade for someone, but they also have Frazier and Bird as backup plans too.

I think Gardner is the 4th OFer now, and maybe they felt Andujar could get better in the off season since last year he was a rookie? I mean, they left Gary as the starting catcher too and he was a butcher back there.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Unless Ellsbury is truly toast and Gardner is slated for expensive 4th OF (which I guess is OK given how long he's been with the org) I did not understand resigning him.

I can somewhat understand counting on Andujar under the theory that they believe he can improve defensively with the off season work program they had for him even if I'm not crazy about the idea of him starting 140 games at 3B myself.
    The Gardner signing actually makes sense, but I think they overpaid when you see all these guys struggling to find work and signing minor league deals. Still the CF market was weak enough that, who knows. But the Yankees were looking for a part time starting OF that improves their LF defense when Stanton is not there, is ideally left handed, and can backup Hicks in CF. Would I have rather had someone like Harper, Brantley or Marwin Gonzalez. Yes, of course, but Harper and Brantley are everyday OFs so it would mean Andujar everyday at 3B or you're sitting a really good hitter. And none of the 3 can really play CF although I would've happily given Marwin a shot at it given his strong work in LF. Of available options at the prices they ultimately signed for I think Marwin would've made the most sense assuming he can play CF (I don't see why not).

Oh and Ellsbury is almost assuredly toast. One way (injuries) or another (ineffectiveness). I can't see a successful comeback.

NYYF Legend

Exactly. Of course it's even more frustrating because there were legitimate upgrades available this offseason. And by upgrades, I mean 2 of the best young players in the game today.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Marwin gets 2/21 - Cashman, you just made the awful DJL contract look even sillier.

Well done.
    For me personally, I've never been a fan of Marwin like that, so his contract coming in right around the same neighborhood actually gives me a bit of justification to the LeMaiheu contract.

In fact, given the Yankees need of IF defense and flexibility, I have no problem at all with them taking DJ over Gonzalez.

Whether or not the contracts will return value or there's an overpay is a different story, but if they're both going to command similar deals and the Yankees were hell bent to sign one, I'm completely at peace with getting LeMaiheu for 2/24 instead of Gonzalez for 2/21.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...es/2952414002/

And, until mid-January, they never seriously entertained any thoughts of signing Machado, believing he’d be out of their price range. They instead were active in the trade market. They had extensive talks with the New York Yankees about Miguel Andujar, who was runner-up in the Rookie of the Year voting, hitting .297 with 27 homers and 92 RBI. Yet, he also had a .948 fielding percentage, tied for the second-lowest among third basemen who played 100 games.

The Padres wound up passing on Andujar, but recognized the irony Friday that if they had acquired him, Machado easily may have been having a press conference this same day, only in Tampa with the Yankees, who were believed to be Machado’s first choice.

“We had a lot of trade talks with different teams," Padres GM A.J. Preller said, “but it’s not as if we ever got to the two-yard line with any team."

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ken711 View Post
    Teams always charge a Yankees premium over what other teams offer.
    When George ran the team it was called, "The Yankees Tax."

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    For me personally, I've never been a fan of Marwin like that, so his contract coming in right around the same neighborhood actually gives me a bit of justification to the LeMaiheu contract.

In fact, given the Yankees need of IF defense and flexibility, I have no problem at all with them taking DJ over Gonzalez.

Whether or not the contracts will return value or there's an overpay is a different story, but if they're both going to command similar deals and the Yankees were hell bent to sign one, I'm completely at peace with getting LeMaiheu for 2/24 instead of Gonzalez for 2/21.
    The hot corners are going to be hot garbage defensively and Didi will be back at some point which means Torres will be pushed back to second by midseason. 12M/year for a utility bench player is pretty egregious.

DJ was very lackluster in bp, that can't translate well to games. Gleybar, i just didn't get the same "feelings" as i did when i seen andujar,tulo,voit during bp. The sound was weaker than i expected.

NYYF Legend

I’m not a Marwin fan either, but they signed DJL to be something he is not, and something that Marwin IS (a UTL INF). Given the choice right now, I think Cashman would take Marwin 10/10 times had he known Marwin would sign for less than DJL. Instead he rushed to sign DJL for some strange reason. Easily my least favorite signing since Ellsbury.

NYYF Legend

I’m not a Marwin fan either, but they signed DJL to be something he is not, and something that Marwin IS (a UTL INF). Given the choice right now, I think Cashman would take Marwin 10/10 times. Instead he rushed to sign DJL for some strange reason. Easily my least favorite signing since Ellsbury.
    I strongly disagree with this, primarily because I don't accept the premise that LeMaiheu can't be a utility IF simply because he hasn't done it before. If DJ, a defensive stud in an up the middle position, can play the corners just respectably, that entire point goes up in smoke, and I personally think that scenario is likely/probable.

The question with the LeMaiheu contract to me is the offensive side of things, and if the Yankees belief that the Coors effect on players moving on from the Rockies leaves them completely different types of producers is correct or not - that playing at Coors Field changes the DNA of how a player produces in a way that is not easily/linearly transferable to what he'd look like upon leaving.

NYYF Legend

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...nd-scott-boras

The Washington Nationals are officially moving on from Bryce Harper.

"Nothing's certainly changed on our end," owner Mark Lerner told NBC Sports Washington's Todd Dybas Friday. "We've moved on. As I said back then and we had to. There was no way we could wait around. Bryce, I'm sure will make his decision hopefully in the next few days, but we've filled out our roster and like I said, we wish him nothing but the best."
    "But there's always that, the door's cracked a little bit," Lerner added. "I have no clue at this point what they're up to. We really haven't heard from them in a couple months."

I strongly disagree with this, primarily because I don't accept the premise that LeMaiheu can't be a utility IF simply because he hasn't done it before. If DJ, a defensive stud in an up the middle position, can play the corners just respectably, that entire point goes up in smoke, and I personally think that scenario is likely/probable.

The question with the LeMaiheu contract to me is the offensive side of things, and if the Yankees belief that the Coors effect on players moving on from the Rockies leaves them completely different types of producers is correct or not - that playing at Coors Field changes the DNA of how a player produces in a way that is not easily/linearly transferable to what he'd look like upon leaving.
    Yea Marwin defensively has not been very sound on the infield. He's capable of playing sub-par defense across all infield positions which has a lot of value, but is also not what the Yankees were looking for with a lot of defensive question marks and their best defensive infielder out for around half the season. Now if people said Marwin over Gardner that makes much more sense to me as Marwin is a better OFer than INFer and while he has virtually no experience in CF, I think he could play it. And worst case scenario Judge and Frazier would still be options if he couldn't.

I actually am not at all worried about DJL at 3B and moving around the infield. I think he'll make the transition fairly well. Do you get as much value when he plays 3B instead of 2B? Probably not, but there was a need for a defensive lynch pin in a Didi-less infield and Torres will see plenty of time at SS giving us plenty of DJL's gold glove 2B defense.

His offense is absolutely what gives me pause and makes me question the use of the money. It sounds like the Yankees feel his contact approach to RF will play well. I'm less confident given his numbers and the fact that in the age of advanced defensive analytics and spray charts getting non-HR base hits in YS RF is going to be tough if they play him to go that way (teams have reversed shifted on him before).

I’m not a Marwin fan either, but they signed DJL to be something he is not, and something that Marwin IS (a UTL INF). Given the choice right now, I think Cashman would take Marwin 10/10 times had he known Marwin would sign for less than DJL. Instead he rushed to sign DJL for some strange reason. Easily my least favorite signing since Ellsbury.
    I know Lowrie is banged up already but he and Marwin made more sense because of our lack of lefty bats.
    Fully operational Death Star

Thread Information