+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1

    Team Hero: Oct. 3 vs Oakland in the Wild Card Game

    TH: Luis Severino, Dellin Betances and Aaron Judge

    HM: Luke Voit, Giancarlo Stanton and Aaron Hicks
    Last edited by Battingly; 10-04-18 at 11:17 AM.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

  2. #2

    Re: Team Hero: Oct. 3 vs Oakland in the Wild Card Game

    TH: Betances

    HM: Judge, Sevy, Voit

  3. #3

    Re: Team Hero: Oct. 3 vs Oakland in the Wild Card Game

    Gonna go with Dellin...what a difference a year makes!

    Always happy to see him do well. Local kid who came up through the system and who has put up some great numbers over the past 5 years (all for less than what Lance Lynn makes in a year).

  4. #4

    Re: Team Hero: Oct. 3 vs Oakland in the Wild Card Game

    Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42 View Post
    Gonna go with Dellin...what a difference a year makes!

    Always happy to see him do well. Local kid who came up through the system and who has put up some great numbers over the past 5 years (all for less than what Lance Lynn makes in a year).
    Dellin also, even when hes not pitching well, never skips an interview or makes excuses. Love that guy.

  5. #5
    NYYF Legend

    JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Still under the unfinished breezeway

    Re: Team Hero: Oct. 3 vs Oakland in the Wild Card Game

    Clearly Judge. His HR in the first inning set the stage for the game.

    Dellin gets a STRONG HM, but things may have gone very differently if the game was tied at 0 in the 5th.
    Do not fear, all we want to do is talk.

    Only words, and then your thoughts.

  6. #6
    The Best Ever ! jnewmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Stax 1966

    Re: Team Hero: Oct. 3 vs Oakland in the Wild Card Game

    Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    TH: Betances

    HM: Judge, Sevy, Voit
    Gotta go with this one.
    What we can appreciate now is that the Yankees from 1996-2003 were even more extraordinary than we thought.

  7. #7
    Member
    AussieYank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Sydney AUS

    Re: Team Hero: Oct. 3 vs Oakland in the Wild Card Game

    Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    TH: Betances

    HM: Judge, Sevy, Voit
    Me too.

    Betances was a rabbit in the headlights last season with runners on and any kind of pressure. Last night he just came in and dealt! For two innings! A brilliant performance under pressure.

  8. #8

    Re: Team Hero: Oct. 3 vs Oakland in the Wild Card Game

    Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    TH: Betances

    HM: Judge, Sevy, Voit
    WPA seems to agree with you, except for Voit.

    Betances .252
    Judge .173
    Severino .086
    Andujar .059

    ...

    Voit .009

    Voit's number is hurt by the fact that the Yanks' win probability was already at 95.5% before his at-bat.

    For the curious: When Khris Davis hit that home run to make the score 6-2, the impact on win probability was negligible (from 99.1% down to 97.6%).
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

  9. #9
    Member
    Murcer and Munson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Williston,Vt.

    Re: Team Hero: Oct. 3 vs Oakland in the Wild Card Game

    TH: Judge
    HM: Bettances,Severino
    "Thurman (Munson) was indispensable and irreplaceable...." - Yankees Owner George Steinbrenner

  10. #10

    Re: Team Hero: Oct. 3 vs Oakland in the Wild Card Game

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    WPA seems to agree with you, except for Voit.

    Betances .252
    Judge .173
    Severino .086
    Andujar .059

    ...

    Voit .009

    Voit's number is hurt by the fact that the Yanks' win probability was already at 95.5% before his at-bat.

    For the curious: When Khris Davis hit that home run to make the score 6-2, the impact on win probability was negligible (from 99.1% down to 97.6%).
    I would ask, though, what the win probably for Oakland would be had Voit's triple not happened. If he doesn't get that hit and then subsequently score the 6th run, Davis's homerun makes it 3-2. Of course, you can't assume that everything will happen exactly the same way but 3-2 is a VERY different game. Pitchers change their approach. The A's suddenly feel a jolt of confidence. Maybe Boone panics and brings in Chapman. A whole host of other things could happen. I don't put a lot of stock in those percentages.

    That said, Betances played the biggest role in last night's win. Judge would be a close second as he really set the tone. (IMO)
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

  11. #11

    Re: Team Hero: Oct. 3 vs Oakland in the Wild Card Game

    Quote Originally Posted by KayForPresident View Post

    I would ask, though, what the win probably for Oakland would be had Voit's triple not happened. If he doesn't get that hit and then subsequently score the 6th run, Davis's homerun makes it 3-2. Of course, you can't assume that everything will happen exactly the same way but 3-2 is a VERY different game. Pitchers change their approach. The A's suddenly feel a jolt of confidence. Maybe Boone panics and brings in Chapman. A whole host of other things could happen. I don't put a lot of stock in those percentages.
    That is a great point. I love Sweet Lou's stats, always interesting and often surprising, and I know all about the fallacy of the predetermined outcome (i.e. can't assume Davis hits the HR if we didn't extend the lead), but its more than fair to say "WHAT IF" cause we're talking about the leagues leading HR hitter this year, so it very well could have happened ... and then, yes, its 3-2, not 6-2, and nail-biting time.

    That said, I'm a big believer that tack-on runs are all important, you can't have a big enough lead to make me feel comfortable. I've lived long enough to see big leads implode and those are the most devastating losses of them all. Heck, even at 6-0 I was not yet popping any corks. :-)

    But I'll tell you this, Voit's 2R Triple followed by Didi's Sac Fly Run gave me the first chance of the night to slightly exhale.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

  12. #12
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The Bronx

    Re: Team Hero: Oct. 3 vs Oakland in the Wild Card Game

    TH: Severino
    HM: Judge, Voit, Betances
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

  13. #13

    Re: Team Hero: Oct. 3 vs Oakland in the Wild Card Game

    Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    TH: Severino
    HM: Judge, Voit, Betances
    Makes sense.

  14. #14
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: Team Hero: Oct. 3 vs Oakland in the Wild Card Game

    Team Hero/Honorable Mention (in alphabetical order by last name): Dellin Betances, Aaron Judge, Luis Severino, Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuke Voit.

  15. #15

    Re: Team Hero: Oct. 3 vs Oakland in the Wild Card Game

    Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    But I'll tell you this, Voit's 2R Triple followed by Didi's Sac Fly Run gave me the first chance of the night to slightly exhale.
    Totally.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

  16. #16
    Yankees your 27 time WS Champs MyBoysKaosHavoK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    2112 The Temples Of Syrinx....

    Re: Team Hero: Oct. 3 vs Oakland in the Wild Card Game

    TH- Betances

    HM- Judge, Severino, Voit
    In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King......

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts