+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Re: Yankees vs Red Sox ALDS Discussion Thread: BRING IT!!!!

My prediction - Yankees will sweep the Red Sox. Cleveland will take the Astros in five.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    They need to fire their travel guy.
    Or at minimum the assistant to the travel guy.

Quote Originally Posted by JeterForPresident View Post
    Or at minimum the assistant to the travel guy.
    I see whatcha did there.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

Quote Originally Posted by LIYanks View Post
    Much like Sevy’s first inning last night, a healthy Sale will make Boston that much more dangerous. I don’t think much about Price in the post-season.

I do think that Yankees have peaked at the right time. We could go all the way.
    The big question is, how many innings will Sale pitch? Sevy was successful because when he handed off the baton, the bullpen continued and finished what he had started. What will the Boston bullpen do?

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    My prediction - Yankees will sweep the Red Sox. Cleveland will take the Astros in five.
    Astros aren't losing in 5. Their bullpen is too good. Bauer/Hand....and then that's it with the Indians bullpen. Miller isn't the same.

Indians/Astros starting staffs are elite. I see Astros in 4.

Yankees in 4. Bullpen will hurt Sox and Chris Sale won't be great. I think Price is going to look good.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyyankou View Post
    I have Yankees in 5. I think we’ll lose both games against Sale. Hope I’m wrong!
    Yankees crush Sale...he hasn't shown me he is a playoff pitcher.
    I do believe Price will have a good series.

Yankees in 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    I don’t think it all comes down to Sale. No one pitches 9 innings any more, so the bullpens will be a factor. The Yankees have a big edge in the bullpen.

With regard to HFA, it’s interesting that the Yankees have a lineup almost entirely of RH hitters. The Sox are choosing to use their 2 lefties in Fenway, which will turn Hicks around and make him a RH hitter as well. The Yankees have a lineup which seems well equipped to tattoo the wall.

By using their 2 lefties in Fenway, they’re left with 2 righties to pitch in Yankee Stadium where righties who are fly ball pitchers and give up a lot of HRs - like Rick Porcello - can get into trouble real fast.

Interesting choices.
    Well, they have to use Sale in game 1 so he's available for game 5 and there's no WAY they let Price pitch in YS where he would absolutely melt. I don't think they have much choice in the matter.

And while no one pitches 9 innings anymore if Sale is his old self he can easily pitch 7. That leaves us 2 innings to get to their bullpen or 1 inning if you believe Kimbrel is going to be his usual lights-out self and 0 innings if Kimbrel is tapped for multiple innings (I honestly don't know his history there though.) I don't know, I still think this is going to come down to how well Sale pitches. Stating the obvious here, I know, but my hope is that we get to him in the 1st inning if only to get him up over 20 pitches and take the crowd out of the game.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

Quote Originally Posted by Jburke View Post
    Cora said Sale can throw 100 pitches, so you figure if we keep it close and work counts we'll have a few innings hitting against their bullpen.
    Cora doesn’t know. In his last outing, Sale threw 92 pitches, couldn’t complete 5 innings, and gave up 3 runs to the worst team in baseball. If he pitches like that tomorrow night, the Yankees will be delighted.

Cora doesn’t know. In his last outing, Sale threw 92 pitches, couldn’t complete 5 innings, and gave up 3 runs to the worst team in baseball. If he pitches like that tomorrow night, the Yankees will be delighted.
    And they wont feel great about game 2. Down 0-1 with Price, who we own, on the mound.

I would be pretty nervous if I'm a Red Sox fan. Seems like their 108-win team is a letdown ready to happen. Sale could come out throwing high 80s...then Price?

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    I would be pretty nervous if I'm a Red Sox fan. Seems like their 108-win team is a letdown ready to happen. Sale could come out throwing high 80s...then Price?
    The Yankees are a letdown if they don’t win either
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

NYYF Legend

This series against the Red Sox will undoubtedly cause cases of agita, high blood pressure spikes, drinking binges, self-doubt, and loss of sleep.

But in the end........JUBILATION!

Yankees in 4 very tough, very close, very long games! Full of ups and downs, it'll be the best rollercoaster ride we'll ever be on!

IMO, the key is to split these first two games in Fenway, then beat 'em into submission @ the Stadium. Gotta get a win tonight or tomorrow. Boone needs to get every team member to buy into playing with a sense of urgency while remaining calm, cool, and collected. HA !

Tall order - but the key to victory!
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

I don’t think it all comes down to Sale. No one pitches 9 innings any more, so the bullpens will be a factor. The Yankees have a big edge in the bullpen.

With regard to HFA, it’s interesting that the Yankees have a lineup almost entirely of RH hitters. The Sox are choosing to use their 2 lefties in Fenway, which will turn Hicks around and make him a RH hitter as well. The Yankees have a lineup which seems well equipped to tattoo the wall.

By using their 2 lefties in Fenway, they’re left with 2 righties to pitch in Yankee Stadium where righties who are fly ball pitchers and give up a lot of HRs - like Rick Porcello - can get into trouble real fast.

Interesting choices.
    Sale is their ace, so he gets game 1. No issues there.

My take is they want to avoid having Price pitch in YS, where he really gets tattooed.

The Post’s experts predict the winner of this upcoming Yankees-Red Sox ALDS:

https://nypost.com/2018/10/05/the-po...site%20buttons

Ken Davidoff: Yankees in 4

Maybe the last two months have been a long con by Chris Sale and the Red Sox to lull the Yankees into a Game 1 slumber. The bet here is no, that Sale is experiencing his standard second-half drop-off, only worse. The Yankees, riding high after securing home-field advantage for the wild card then capitalizing on it, are ready to go on a roll.

George A. King III: Red Sox in 5

Extra outs hurt in the regular season. They kill in October and the Yankees have problems at third base and behind the plate. Boston’s lineup is a little bit deeper than the Yankees’. The bullpen edge goes to the Yankees, but not enough to get them to the ALCS.

Dan Martin: Yankees in 5

If Chris Sale and David Price are on top of their games, the Yankees will be in trouble. But the disparity in the strengths of the two bullpens figures to play a huge role in the series — especially if Sale continues to have issues with his velocity. Neither team has handled the other’s star hitters, so expect to see Mookie Betts, Andrew Benintendi and J.D. Martinez and Aaron Judge, Giancarlo Stanton and … Luke Voit put up some big numbers.

Joel Sherman: Red Sox in 5

In a battle of closely matched teams the home-field advantage favors the Red Sox and so does their heady, aggressive ability to capitalize on mistakes, and the defense of Gary Sanchez, Voit and Miguel Andujar opens a scary door for the Yankees.

Mike Vaccaro: Yankees in 4

The teams battled across 162 games simply to earn the right to have one extra home game … and that could all vanish in a matter of hours. The Yankees’ mission is to split the first two games; if they do, good luck to Boston to try to figure out what the Twins, Indians, Astros and A’s haven’t been able to the past two years: winning even one game in The Bronx.

I don't think we'll see any surprises. At least one team will put up a big offensive number in each game (5+ runs), and luck is going to be a big player. Hopefully our hard hit balls find holes and theirs find gloves, Andujar isn't over-tested in the field and the rest of our defense doesn't give them extra outs. I like our chances of stealing one of the first two games, but the entire series is a crap shoot...anything can happen.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by KayForPresident View Post
    Well, they have to use Sale in game 1 so he's available for game 5 and there's no WAY they let Price pitch in YS where he would absolutely melt. I don't think they have much choice in the matter.

And while no one pitches 9 innings anymore if Sale is his old self he can easily pitch 7. That leaves us 2 innings to get to their bullpen or 1 inning if you believe Kimbrel is going to be his usual lights-out self and 0 innings if Kimbrel is tapped for multiple innings (I honestly don't know his history there though.) I don't know, I still think this is going to come down to how well Sale pitches. Stating the obvious here, I know, but my hope is that we get to him in the 1st inning if only to get him up over 20 pitches and take the crowd out of the game.
    let me just get this straight - you think if Chris Sale makes more than 20 pitches in the first inning it will "take the crowd out of the game" in a playoff game at Fenway against the Yankees?

Quote Originally Posted by AllRise View Post
    let me just get this straight - you think if Chris Sale makes more than 20 pitches in the first inning it will "take the crowd out of the game" in a playoff game at Fenway against the Yankees?
    You must not know any Sox fans. They'll be cursing about the Bruins by the 2nd inning.

NYYF Legend

I'm feeling strangely confident about this series.

To me, this series is about Chris Sale all the way..
    The Yankees destroy lefties, but Sale is not a lefty that anyone destroys.... when he is right..
    So that's really the key.. If Sale is on his game then he becomes a mountainous task.

That's why game 1 is so crucial. If Sale is not at his best and we beat him tonight, it will be demoralizing for the Sox. Their best pitcher, not at his best, losing at home, surrendering home field. And then walking into game 2 tomorrow in a near must win scenario with David Price, a guy who gets hammered in the postseason and whom the Yankees own, needing to save their season for all intents and purposes. Game 1 is a must for them. For us, a split in Fenway is mission accomplished, so I think game 1 means more to them than us..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Never know how these games play out.

I doubt the Yankees sweep. I have them winning in four but splitting the first two. I don't think the RS are a good matchup for the Tanaka. When was his last well pitched game against them? Game 2 imo, will be a high scoring game. I'd be thrilled to be wrong though.

If Price is pitching well against the Yankees, that likely means a pitchers ump is behind the plate or he's getting a lot of breaks in the field. Otherwise, I just don't see it. He no longer has the stuff to get the Yankees out. Also, Yankee hitters simply see the ball well out of his hand.

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    The Post’s experts predict the winner of this upcoming Yankees-Red Sox ALDS:

https://nypost.com/2018/10/05/the-po...site%20buttons

Ken Davidoff: Yankees in 4

Maybe the last two months have been a long con by Chris Sale and the Red Sox to lull the Yankees into a Game 1 slumber. The bet here is no, that Sale is experiencing his standard second-half drop-off, only worse. The Yankees, riding high after securing home-field advantage for the wild card then capitalizing on it, are ready to go on a roll.

George A. King III: Red Sox in 5

Extra outs hurt in the regular season. They kill in October and the Yankees have problems at third base and behind the plate. Boston’s lineup is a little bit deeper than the Yankees’. The bullpen edge goes to the Yankees, but not enough to get them to the ALCS.

Dan Martin: Yankees in 5

If Chris Sale and David Price are on top of their games, the Yankees will be in trouble. But the disparity in the strengths of the two bullpens figures to play a huge role in the series — especially if Sale continues to have issues with his velocity. Neither team has handled the other’s star hitters, so expect to see Mookie Betts, Andrew Benintendi and J.D. Martinez and Aaron Judge, Giancarlo Stanton and … Luke Voit put up some big numbers.

Joel Sherman: Red Sox in 5

In a battle of closely matched teams the home-field advantage favors the Red Sox and so does their heady, aggressive ability to capitalize on mistakes, and the defense of Gary Sanchez, Voit and Miguel Andujar opens a scary door for the Yankees.

Mike Vaccaro: Yankees in 4

The teams battled across 162 games simply to earn the right to have one extra home game … and that could all vanish in a matter of hours. The Yankees’ mission is to split the first two games; if they do, good luck to Boston to try to figure out what the Twins, Indians, Astros and A’s haven’t been able to the past two years: winning even one game in The Bronx.
    I love to read some of these guys talk about the Yankees’ problems and how they’re going to cost them.

Andujar’s D? Devers is worse and the Sox know it. Holt? Nope, they’re going to turn to Nunez whom Yankee fans knowis no prize in the field. And he’s got bad knees which have flared up in the 2nd half. And no bat. That’s the best they’ve got?

Sanchez is bad? The Sox are so lacking behind the plate that they couldn’t settle on one guy. Their 3 catchers combined to bat about .190. With no walks. And no power. And can’t throw anyone out. You think we’ve got problems?

I could go on, but I’d love to see a more balanced analysis dealing with the strengths ANDweaknesses of BOTH teams.

Quote Originally Posted by AllRise View Post
    OK, maybe "take them out of the game" is too strong. I don't mean "take them out of the game" like a 5-run 1st inning would. Think of it this way - if Sale comes out and has an easy 1-2-3 inning with 2 Ks and and a weak ground ball on 12 pitches their confidence goes through the roof. But if the Yankees get a guy or two on and make Sale labor it plants that seed of doubt. It becomes a series at that point. The sooner it is established that Sale is mortal in this series the better. That's what I'm saying. And that goes for both sides.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

I'm going Yankees in 5 though. I want to celebrate on their turf.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

NYYF Legend

I'm gonna say Yanks in 4. As always game 1 is huge and which Sale comes out will probably determine that. I'm saying 4 because if it goes 5 then I stress out too much.

Left-Handed Catcher

I’m fairly confident. But I wouldn’t stick too closely to the Yanks vs. Price advantage.

Price doesn’t fare well against the Yankees overall, but he gets massacred in The Bronx rather than just being pedestrian at Fenway.

As a member of the Sox vs the Yankees since ‘16:

at Fenway: 4.90 ERA
    at Yankee Stadium: 11.78 ERA

That said, I think Hicks will be a major factor offensively this series.

Thread Information