+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast

Re: Yankees vs Red Sox ALDS Discussion Thread: BRING IT!!!!

I have Yankees in 5. I think weíll lose both games against Sale. Hope Iím wrong!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dannyyankou View Post
    I have Yankees in 5. I think weíll lose both games against Sale. Hope Iím wrong!
    This make no sense as Sale is almost certain to start G5.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    Sale was averaging 90MPH on the fastball in his last start and topped out at 94, that has to concern Boston. I like our chances in this series, we finally have a healthy lineup, a big advantage when it comes to the bullpen, and 4 starters I feel good about. Not to mention, the Yankees aren't scared of Price.
    I think his average Velo his last 4 starts went from 96-94-92-90...

He only pitched 7 innings the past month and a half.

Even if he is on, he shouldnt last too long out there and the Yanks should be able to get into the pen.

Still going to be a tough test. Boston still a big favorite.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post

Even if he is on, he shouldnt last too long out there and the Yanks should be able to get into the pen.

Not sure about Boston being a big favorite. They do have the HFA but if Sale has lost a few miles on his FB, NY all of a sudden becomes the favorite.

This series won't go 5. If Sale comes down to earth, Yankees in 4. If Sale regains his superman power, Boston in 4. Game 1 will determine how this series will go.

ALDS: Yankees-Red Sox Preview scouting report

Game Date Time Matchup TV
    Gm 1 Oct. 5 7:32 p.m. NYY @ BOS TBS
    Gm 2 Oct. 6 8:15 p.m. NYY @ BOS TBS
    Gm 3 Oct. 8 TBD BOS @ NYY TBS
    *Gm 4 Oct. 9 TBD BOS @ NYY TBS
    *Gm 5 Oct. 11 TBD NYY @ BOS TBS
    All times ET | *- If necessary

https://www.mlb.com/news/scouting-re...ms/c-296981728

RED SOX

Mookie Betts
    "The best, because he's 'Mookie the Best.' We changed his last name from two Ts and an S to an S before the T. It's Mookie the Best. I think he's the best player in the game." -- AL East infielder

"I don't know how to pitch to that guy. That guy hits everything. Your best shot is just to mix it up. I think he goes through some periods of time where he struggles with down and away pitches, but they have to be really dotted down and away. I've finished him off with strike-to-ball sliders down and away." -- AL East relief pitcher

J.D. Martinez
    "Video game. He's a video game. He's like that create-a-player you create on a game that has like 100 power, 100 contact." -- AL East outfielder

"At the beginning of the year, he was a guy who was really getting exposed inside. He was looking to go right-center and I think he made an adjustment because I think a lot of teams were pounding him in, in, in. Obviously the numbers say everything. He is getting to everything right now. I tried to sneak a 2-0 fastball kind of up and in on him and he turned and burned me for a homer." -- AL East relief pitcher

Andrew Benintendi
    "He's another really good hitter. I think for Benintendi, you don't want to get beat on the inner half of the plate. Make him try to beat you oppo for damage. He doesn't really go out of the zone very often, but it you can entice him to go out of the zone, it's probably more away than in." -- AL Central starting pitcher

Xander Bogaerts
    "I've had some success against him. He has a flat bat swing and it stays in the zone for a while. I try to throw cutters and sliders off the plate. I do remember I tried to get ahead with the heater one time, missed middle-out, and he hit it off the Green Monster. The success I've had with him has just been spinning him." -- AL East relief pitcher

"He's a good high-ball hitter. So get him to chase up and out of the zone a little bit, and then bury breaking balls, bury offspeed stuff in the dirt. If you leave it in the zone, he can do some damage." -- AL Central starting pitcher

Chris Sale
    "The slider is the first thing. All his stuff plays, but that's the wipeout pitch. You can tell a hitter it's coming and he's still probably not going to hit it." -- NL scout

David Price
    "He's intense out there, so it's at-bats you kind of look forward to. You know it's going to be tough, but the competitor in you enjoys the competition he brings." -- AL East outfielder

Craig Kimbrel
    "For me, the toughest closer in the game." -- AL East infielder

"He's the best pitcher in their 'pen. One of the few bright spots out there the past few months. He needs to be good for them to win in October." -- NL scout

YANKEES

Giancarlo Stanton
    "Mainly, you try to attack him up and in and then down and away; try to get him to chase something down off the plate. He likes to get his arms extended. He likes to feel comfortable in the box. Up and in, and down and away." -- AL Central starting pitcher

Aaron Judge
    "He and Stanton kind of go through a similar phase where they have the same weaknesses. I think you can definitely pound the fastball up and in. You definitely have to get it in. I've always thrown them cutters down and away, off the plate, and they've kind of chased. There are times that Stanton can get to that sinker down and in, and Judge is less prone to that. I think that's a good spot to pitch to him also. But very similar hitters." -- AL East relief pitcher

Gleyber Torres
    "Man, I like Gleyber Torres. He's a glue piece in that lineup with all those power bats. He and [Miguel] Andujar are hitting deep in the order, and teams are going to have to pitch to somebody. Gleyber could be the beneficiary of that." -- NL scout

Miguel Andujar
    "I love his ability to put the bat on the ball. He's so aggressive. He can hit a fastball or a breaking ball, and because he's so aggressive, you can't just throw it on the corners. You have to be extra careful with him, because he can drive the ball to all fields. He's impressed me." -- NL scout

Gary Sanchez
    "The defense has been much maligned, and I think some of it has carried over to the offensive side of the game for him. He's going to be a focal point to how the Yankees perform because of the defensive component behind the plate." -- NL scout

"The bat is what it is. He has some of the best power in the game for his position. The defense could cost them in a close game in the playoffs; that would be one of my main concerns." --NL scout

Masahiro Tanaka
    "Tanaka is back. He's pitching the best on the team, he has the experience and he can change speeds in pressure situations." -- NL scout

"Don't try to hit the splitter." -- AL East infielder

Luis Severino
    "Severino has some of the best stuff in the game. Whether it's fatigue, exhaustion, whatever, he's just not throwing that well. I just don't understand it, because the stuff is so good. In any particular game, he should give you a chance to win." -- NL scout

Zach Britton
    "If you can be as successful as he is in the Major Leagues with one pitch [a sinker] when everyone knows what's coming and guys still have trouble hitting it, it's pretty dominant." -- AL East outfielder

"He's starting to look like his old self. Same M.O. -- he uses his fastball about 94 percent of the time, mixes in a slider here or there. He's throwing better strikes with better command." -- NL scout

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by LIYanks View Post
    Not sure about Boston being a big favorite. They do have the HFA but if Sale has lost a few miles on his FB, NY all of a sudden becomes the favorite.

This series won't go 5. If Sale comes down to earth, Yankees in 4. If Sale regains his superman power, Boston in 4. Game 1 will determine how this series will go.
    Vegas has Boston 3/1 to win WS and Yankees 7/1 so yeah, Boston is a pretty big favorite.
    Baseball is life;

Prediction:

Yanks in 4

NYYF Legend

Happ. Official. This is where he makes the price of Drury worth it.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

When I say favorite, I mean Vegas has them as the favorite. 3/1 odds of winning the WS. Yankees are at 7/1.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Happ. Official. This is where he makes the price of Drury worth it.
    Yep - for good or ill this start and a potential G5 will be how this trade is judged in the days and years to come.
    Baseball is life;

I donít think it all comes down to Sale. No one pitches 9 innings any more, so the bullpens will be a factor. The Yankees have a big edge in the bullpen.

With regard to HFA, itís interesting that the Yankees have a lineup almost entirely of RH hitters. The Sox are choosing to use their 2 lefties in Fenway, which will turn Hicks around and make him a RH hitter as well. The Yankees have a lineup which seems well equipped to tattoo the wall.

By using their 2 lefties in Fenway, theyíre left with 2 righties to pitch in Yankee Stadium where righties who are fly ball pitchers and give up a lot of HRs - like Rick Porcello - can get into trouble real fast.

Interesting choices.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    So does Tarpley replace Lynn on the DS roster?
    i think that is the move. Boone is impressed with Tarpley.
    " You can't think and hit at the same time. "
    - Yogi Berra

NYYF Legend

when do the Yankees announce their roster? I think Houston did it today.
    Baseball is life;

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    my neighbor says and a Redsox Fan- " Yankees face weak A's swinging lineup. they will never face an offensive team like Redsox who's patient and work the count, make pitch count up and put pressure on Yankees pitching, unlike A's."

My Response- Yankees can hit too
    Link?

Wade and Higgy off roster and replaced with Tarpley and CC. For Boston series.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    I donít think it all comes down to Sale. No one pitches 9 innings any more, so the bullpens will be a factor. The Yankees have a big edge in the bullpen.

With regard to HFA, itís interesting that the Yankees have a lineup almost entirely of RH hitters. The Sox are choosing to use their 2 lefties in Fenway, which will turn Hicks around and make him a RH hitter as well. The Yankees have a lineup which seems well equipped to tattoo the wall.

By using their 2 lefties in Fenway, theyíre left with 2 righties to pitch in Yankee Stadium where righties who are fly ball pitchers and give up a lot of HRs - like Rick Porcello - can get into trouble real fast.

Interesting choices.
    Much like Sevyís first inning last night, a healthy Sale will make Boston that much more dangerous. I donít think much about Price in the post-season.

I do think that Yankees have peaked at the right time. We could go all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post

Cora said Sale can throw 100 pitches, so you figure if we keep it close and work counts we'll have a few innings hitting against their bullpen.

NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

I think it's a pretty even matchup. I wish we were the ones that had home field advantage.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    This make no sense as Sale is almost certain to start G5.
    I forgot all about Porcello, my bad. I thought Sale would pitch game 4.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jburke View Post
    I predict Tarpley will get a big strikeout of Benintendi at some point in the series.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jburke View Post
    Great. I love it.

Oh man would it be sweet to ruin their historic season.

NYYF Legend

@BryanHoch

The Yankees arrived late in Boston, so they've cancelled today's workout at Fenway Park.
    They need to fire their travel guy.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    They need to fire their travel guy.
    They just played there last weekend do they really need a workout?
    Baseball is life;

I wonder if we're gonna keep the same lineup verses the lefty, Sale, namely if Cutch will still be leading off?

I wouldn't change a thing at the top. Cutch is a veteran who can hit lefties, but with Judge and Stanton both hitting absolute BOMBS verses Oakland, I'd like to see them hitting back-to-back at Fenway while staring at that green monster than looks like its about 200 Yards away! LOL

LF Cutch
    RF Judge
    DH Stanton
    1B Voit
    C Sanchez (Call it a hunch, but I smell a bustout performance at Fenway vs the lefty)
    CF Hicks
    3B Andujar
    SS Didi
    2B Torres
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

Thread Information