+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22 29 30 31 32

Re: Yankees vs Red Sox ALDS Discussion Thread: BRING IT!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    Well it was fun while it lasted....that said the Red Sox outplayed us all season. This 2018 Yankees team got too comfortable all year and it showed losing to below .500 teams....this better be a learning experience for next year.
    Not so sure that their comfort level was at issue. How do you mean that?

Quote Originally Posted by KayForPresident View Post
    I don't remember where I saw it but I saw a quote by Boone somewhere that said something along the lines of "We have a championship team in there."

Really.

REALLY?

REALLY?!??!?

I honestly think part of the problem here is that everyone in that clubhouse believes that they ARE a championship team. They're NOT. Not until they actually, you know, win a championship. So I don't know if it's a stats thing where they see these numbers and think that they SHOULD win or if it's generational thing (Trying not to say "millennial") where they just think a championship is their birthright. Whatever it is we need a manager that puts things into better perspective. Instead what we have is a manager who embraces these expectations.

I will see if I can find the actual quote. It may have actually been Judge who said it which would make it even worse.
    I vaguely remember that comment, but can't remember who said it. I don't know whether the team thought it, but there was a time during the Yankees drive to the ALE lead that the YES team(s) seemed to think so. I'm thinking of those games where Kay would try to get Cone and Paul ("It's kinda") O'N to take up the question of whether the 2018 team was better than the 1998 team. Eventually, these discussions ceased, of course, but I remember wondering whether the team itself might have entertained such comparisons.

In the end, they were a third-best American League 2018 team. Certainly, the Judge injury hurt. But their rotation was never superior to that of the REd Sox or (especially) of Houston, and this became all too evident during this series.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    All season Boston had a year like the 98 Yankees. Not surprising it continued in the playoffs. Things like your worst hitter hitting his first career opposite field HR into the first row and that turns out to be the series winning run. Hopefully they come down to earth next season and we make improvements.
    They also have a great manager!!!!

NYYF Legend

All season Boston had a year like the 98 Yankees. Not surprising it continued in the playoffs. Things like your worst hitter hitting his first career opposite field HR into the first row and that turns out to be the series winning run. Hopefully they come down to earth next season and we make improvements.
    It seemed like after game 2, every bounce went their way and every ball in play found a hole. With that said, give credit where due. Boston showed up, pitched well, played great defense, and took advantage of the opportunities that were given to them.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    It seemed like after game 2, every bounce went their way and every ball in play found a hole. With that said, give credit where due. Boston showed up, pitched well, played great defense, and took advantage of the opportunities that were given to them.
    It also seemed like every time the Yankees hit one on the screws, the ball went directly to a defender.

But, fully agree, the Red Sox showed up, and did just about everything well. I still hate them, and hope Houston sweeps them, but that's a different issue altogether.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Sure. Boston deserved to win. Of course do not like to like that they won, lol

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

Sure. Boston deserved to win. Of course do not like to like that they won, lol
    You know, it lingers for me not because they won, but how they won. All the missed opportunities w RISP, w the Stanton no outs bases juiced K in the 7th was he poster moment. We just pissed that game away. And games 3 and 4, we also had major RISP failure, but Boone was so awful he almost single handed.y tanked 3 and made 4 an uphill climb. A great team likely overcomes those obstacles, but we all know we had challenges, mostly w SP and key O holes, going into the series. And thatís where it lingers for me, a la Torre one and out teams 05-07, along w a few key moments from 04. In the final analysis, itís on the players, but also very frustrating when the manager is asleep at the wheel. If AB stanches the bleeding in the 4th inning buy shortening Sevy or bringing in D Rob, do we stabilize and pull out that game ?? If Boone doesnít zone out 3rd inning game 4 and we stop one or both runs from scoring, do we force a game 5 w both Tanaka and Happ ready to go ?? If Tom Gordon isnít burned in relief in a blowout game 4, does he have more in the tank later on ?? If Torre protests instead of applying steak sauce when Joba getting devoured by bugs, do we pull that one out ?? So all these tainted games reside in the same memory bank and occasionally come to the surface like a bad meal. Moving forward, I hope Boone stops defending and comes to understand just how wrongheaded his lack of urgency and precision was the last two games. And of course, I hope the Astros absolutely destroys the Red Sox. Hey, who says shadenfreudeís such a bad thing anyway ?? Cheers,

NYYF Legend

Actually Gordon was very good when he finally pitched in game 4. 2 shutout extra innings. But Torre was afraid to use him in the 8th inning which was the problem. Gordon was gassed in game 5 when Torre used him.

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

Actually Gordon was very good when he finally pitched in game 4. 2 shutout extra innings. But Torre was afraid to use him in the 8th inning which was the problem. Gordon was gassed in game 5 when Torre used him.
    Sorry, brain cramp here, the blowout was of course game 3. Why burn your #2 in a blowout, was the point.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JSG View Post
    Sorry, brain cramp here, the blowout was of course game 3. Why burn your #2 in a blowout, was the point.
    That was the head scratcher. Strange as it sounds we might have been better off had Rivera given up 2 runs in the ninth of game 4. Then a rested Gordon probably does not blow the two run lead in game 5.

What we can appreciate now is that the Yankees from 1996-2003 were even more extraordinary than we thought.

Everyone knows except Larry
    #HarperWatch

NYYF Legend

Watching the Brewers/Dodgers series. At the first sign of trouble the Brewers pull their starter to go to their strong bullpen. Because they only care about today's game. Meanwhile our manager keeps the starter in to try to steal outs. No wonder Brewers have won 12 consecutive games.

Watching the Brewers/Dodgers series. At the first sign of trouble the Brewers pull their starter to go to their strong bullpen. Because they only care about today's game. Meanwhile our manager keeps the starter in to try to steal outs. No wonder Brewers have won 12 consecutive games.
    Based on his comments that's not going to happen anymore.
    #HarperWatch

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    We won't know for sure for 6 months and 12 months for the answer to that comment.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    Why didn't it happen in Game 4, though? To be honest, I thought that he would have the quickest trigger with CC considering what happened in Game 3 with Sevy. Nope. Repeated that same mistake again. I was fine with leaving CC until Kinsler got that double, but as soon as he did, he should've been pulled.

Came to an end tonight.
    What we can appreciate now is that the Yankees from 1996-2003 were even more extraordinary than we thought.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jnewmark View Post
    Came to an end tonight.
    They were going to lose a game eventually.

If Yankees knew about it, how is it that they didnít have someone watching for it?
    Thatís another organizational failure

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Obnoxio View Post
    If Yankees knew about it, how is it that they didnít have someone watching for it?
    Thatís another organizational failure
    Youíd think people would look up from their tablets and spreadsheets and see whatís happening around them. This team seems so unaware - signs, start times, not yielding to being called off popups, pitchers tipping pitches, two runners standing at 3rd base.

Just fundamentally unsound.

Comparing these two photos. Yankees dugout steps and Redsox dugout steps at Fenway park. Which is Best of two photos? Redsox players mindset they play for a championship now?

Thread Information