+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 11 12 13 14
    Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar

Re: 2018 MLB Postseason Games Thread

First Game 7 in the NLCS since 2012 when the San Francisco Giants came back from 3-1 down and beat the St. Louis Cardinals.

Last time a team on the road won a NLCS Game 7 was back in 2006 when the Cardinals beat the New York Mets.

The Dodgers last Game 7 was back when they won it all in 1988 after beating the Mets.

As for the Milwaukee Brewers, this will be their first Game 7 as a franchise since losing to the Cardinals in the 1982 World Series.
    "Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows View Post
    Yankees are better set up over the next five years, IMO. Much more payroll flexibility, more years left before their kids hit arbitration or free agency. I've been saying for a while now that the Sox need to cash in on this window sooner than later. We'll probably have another good chance next year, but it's only going to get tougher from there. This Yankees organization does not needlessly chase superstars and hamstring themselves the way they used to. I actually expect them to pass on Machado and Harper entirely unless they get lucky with the years/AAV like the Sox did with JD. The smart move would be to sign a couple of good (and not even necessarily front-line) SP while the need is still great and while the market is so buyer friendly. Trust the kids, maybe pick up a couple good role player types for depth and to help the team's maturation process.
    You can also say the same thing with the 'small-market' teams like the Milwaukee Brewers. How long will this current team stay together?

This is a very good opportunity for them to win it all now because they don't know when they will be back.

Look at the Kansas City Royals, they capitalized on their small window with a title in 2015.

I have a curious question for all of you.

How many teams have you seen won at least one World Series in this current 30-team format since you were born?

Me? I saw 21 out of 30 teams won at least one Fall Classic since I was born in November 1983. The nine teams I have yet to see win a World Series in my lifetime: Pittsburgh Pirates, Texas Rangers, Seattle Mariners, Baltimore Orioles, Tampa Bay Rays, San Diego Padres, Montreal Expos/Washington Nationals, Colorado Rockies and Milwaukee Brewers.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post

How many teams have you seen won at least one World Series in this current 30-team format since you were born?

Me? I saw 21 out of 30 teams won at least one Fall Classic since I was born in November 1983. The nine teams I have yet to see win a World Series in my lifetime: Pittsburgh Pirates, Texas Rangers, Seattle Mariners, Baltimore Orioles, Tampa Bay Rays, San Diego Padres, Montreal Expos/Washington Nationals, Colorado Rockies and Milwaukee Brewers.
    I didnít actually look it up, but I was born in 1969. The only teams I remember winning that you donít would be the Pirates in Ď79 and Orioles in Ď83
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Ah but there’s only been 30 teams since 1998. Is that what you meant? Last 20 years with 30 teams would produce a bigger list. Or do you mean since birth?

If since birth my list is same as yours except for Pirates and Orioles. I think the rest have never won.

Quote Originally Posted by yanksftw View Post
    the Red Sox are simply the best run franchise in baseball and it's not even close. For all the noise the Cashman makes about analytics, he is miles behind Red Sox FO when it comes to actually grasping the fundamental concepts and innovating in that department.
    The best run organization is still paying or has paid off the contacts of the followInglis players:

$217 million - David Price
    $95 million - Pablo Sandoval
    $88 million - Hanley Ramirez
    $82 million - Rick Porcello

Itís not like they donít make their share of bad decisions. And some are real doozies.

Quote Originally Posted by BUZZARDS BAY View Post
    Dodgers offense doesn't come anywhere near Yankees or Astros. For that reason I believe Bostons pitching will hold up. Couple that with Bostons offense being the best in all of baseball leads me to favor another WS championship for the red sox. To think otherwise is wishful thinking driven by hate of boston.
    Youíre underrating the Dodgersí offense. They didnít have both Manny and Turner in the lineup at the same time until August. For the first 4 months there offense averaged 4.7 runs per game. For August/September, it jumped to 5.4 runs per game.

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    Ah but thereís only been 30 teams since 1998. Is that what you meant? Last 20 years with 30 teams would produce a bigger list. Or do you mean since birth?
    Since birth.

NYYF Legend

First Game 7 in the NLCS since 2012 when the San Francisco Giants came back from 3-1 down and beat the St. Louis Cardinals.

Last time a team on the road won a NLCS Game 7 was back in 2006 when the Cardinals beat the New York Mets.

The Dodgers last Game 7 was back when they won it all in 1988 after beating the Mets.

As for the Milwaukee Brewers, this will be their first Game 7 as a franchise since losing to the Cardinals in the 1982 World Series.
    The only other time the Brewers made it to the series in 1982, was best 3 out of 5 format and Brewers won game 5 off of the Angels . So maybe they do it to the Dodgers this time around.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    The best run organization is still paying or has paid off the contacts of the followInglis players:

Itís not like they donít make their share of bad decisions. And some are real doozies.
    $72 million - Rusney Castillo in AAA till 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post

It’s not like they don’t make their share of bad decisions. And some are real doozies.
    And they are in the World Series. Imagine how good things would be if they had not made those mistakes? Management takes a lot of big swings -- missing on some connecting on the others. Right now, it looks like they are doing a pretty good job.
    Last edited by wizwor; Yesterday at 08:02 PM.

Another chapter in the Boston vs. Los Angeles sports rivalry will be written.

The Los Angeles Dodgers take on the Boston Red Sox in 114th edition of the MLB World Series.

I bet a lot of San Francisco Giants fans don't like doing this, but they should root for their bitter rivals to win it all this year.

That way, the Giants will be the team of the 2010s decade outright.

Quote Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
    And they are in the World Series. Imagine how good things would be if they had not made those mistakes? Management takes a lot of big swings -- missing on some connecting on the others. Right now, it looks like they are doing a pretty good job.
    The Red Sox still have to capitalize on their chances though with the Yankees are reemerging as a quality World Series contender and the Dodgers and the Astros will be here for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
    Nice try.

Referring to Celtics-Lakers?

Dodgers-Red Sox series. Bah humbug.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

The Los Angeles Dodgers take on the Boston Red Sox in 114th edition of the MLB World Series.
    Not sure about that Boston vs. Los Angeles sports rivalry (too young to appreciate the Celtics vs Lakers rivalry), but these teams last met in 1916 when Babe Ruth and the Red Sox topped Casey Stengel and the Brooklyn Robins four games to one.

I bet a lot of San Francisco Giants fans don't like doing this, but they should root for their bitter rivals to win it all this year.

That way, the Giants will be the team of the 2010s decade outright.
    Team of the 2010s sounds like a banner the Indianapolis Colts would hoist.

FWIW, the winner of the 2016 World Series won three others between 1910 and 1919, so, I guess, the Red Sox were the team of the 1910s.

Should the Sox win, they would be the undisputed 'team of the millennial' with four wins to the Giants three.

Thread Information