+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32 39 40 41 42
Results 1,026 to 1,043 of 1043
  1. #1026
    NYYF Legend

    ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada's basement

    Re: 2018 MLB Postseason Games Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    Still, thereís more prefessional ways to make the point. I would feel the same about a Yankees manager that said something like that.
    Eh. It's part of what makes his players willing to run through a wall for him. Nothing affable and approachable (Boone) about that.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

  2. #1027
    NYYF Triple Crown

    trentonthunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United States

    Re: 2018 MLB Postseason Games Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    Still, thereís more prefessional ways to make the point. I would feel the same about a Yankees manager that said something like that.

    David Ortiz said Boston was "our f'in city" after the muslims bombed the marathon.
    They loved him for it. Cora was just taking after his good friend.
    [

  3. #1028

    Re: 2018 MLB Postseason Games Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    Still, there’s more prefessional ways to make the point. I would feel the same about a Yankees manager that said something like that.
    I wish Boone would show some emotion like that. You could tell all season the Red Sox players loved Cora and would do anything for him because he stood up for them. Boone drives me crazy because we have all this talent on the Yankees and the coach can't inspire them. We can talk lineups all day long but the intangibles, like having a manager that seems more like an encouraging big brother than a school principal, are big parts of a team's success.

  4. #1029
    Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Danville, NH

    Re: 2018 MLB Postseason Games Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BUZZARDS BAY View Post
    Out of character for Cora.
    ...Judge being stupid.
    No class in baseball since Steinbrenner. Postseason trolling was revealing. Not everyone in Boston loved Ortiz's profanity.

  5. #1030
    Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Danville, NH

    Re: 2018 MLB Postseason Games Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    I was pissed until I watched the video. He was putting it back in the Boston media's face, saying they were all writing how the sky is falling, etc. Really had nothing to do with the Yanks.
    A lot of contempt for the Boston Media. I thought Price's 'holding all the cards' comment was an indication that he was out of Boston, but then he announced he was staying, so I guess it was a shot at his critics. I get it, and maybe this was part of their 'all in' attitude, but this team ought to act like champions.

  6. #1031

    Re: 2018 MLB Postseason Games Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
    A lot of contempt for the Boston Media. I thought Price's 'holding all the cards' comment was an indication that he was out of Boston, but then he announced he was staying, so I guess it was a shot at his critics. I get it, and maybe this was part of their 'all in' attitude, but this team ought to act like champions.
    Price was never leaving. He'd never be able to secure a 4/127 deal on the market right now.

  7. #1032
    Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    New Bedford

    Re: 2018 MLB Postseason Games Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Allens Wolfpack View Post
    He was responding to the Sox chances for a division and how those odds could improve if key contributors come back from injury. I didn't read it as "we were banged up and we still won!^#@%!" vs "Here are some things that could offset potential regression".
    Bingo. Those of you with reading comprehension understood perfectly, and I'm glad you outnumber the rest.

    Quote Originally Posted by Allens Wolfpack View Post
    Several of the examples were valid IMO. As for Pedroia, I agree he is not the MVP-esq player he once was, but he just has to be better than what they were trotting out at 2nd most of the year etc. If he is only a 2 or 3 WAR player next year, I expect that would be an improvement but I admittedly didn't bother to go see how 2b finished out this year.
    Your argument vis a vis Pedroia is reasonable, but I'm sticking with my "~5 WAR player" tag. It's roughly what his full years at the ML level average out to, and it's what he was most recently before his knee was taken out. Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't bet that he makes a full recovery and reverts back to that level, but it's a real possibility to take into consideration when evaluating the potential of next year's squad.

    Quote Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
    A lot of contempt for the Boston Media. I thought Price's 'holding all the cards' comment was an indication that he was out of Boston, but then he announced he was staying, so I guess it was a shot at his critics. I get it, and maybe this was part of their 'all in' attitude, but this team ought to act like champions.
    Contempt is generous for those scumbags. Not every writer, broadcaster, and talking head in Boston is a lazy, inflammatory, instigating provocateur with nothing new, original, or unique to say, but the loudest and most visible often are. This region has long been infested with such leeches, and it took decades for bonafide Red Sox legends like Ted Williams and Jim Rice to recover from their efforts.

    Credit where credit is due, though; they made Price's success this postseason even more enjoyable to those of us who see through their dishonest profiteering.

  8. #1033

    Re: 2018 MLB Postseason Games Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows View Post
    Your argument vis a vis Pedroia is reasonable, but I'm sticking with my "~5 WAR player" tag. It's roughly what his full years at the ML level average out to, and it's what he was most recently before his knee was taken out. Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't bet that he makes a full recovery and reverts back to that level, but it's a real possibility to take into consideration when evaluating the potential of next year's squad.
    Nope. Not happening.

    At 35 years old, Pedroia would be well into his decline phase even without knee problems. To expect a healthy to reach acareeraverage WAR would be a reach. Heís been a 5 WAR player only once in the past 5 years. But the fact is that his knee is shot. Heís not ever coming back to be an everyday player. Heís been able to play a full season only once in the last 4 years. Heís not going to start now.

  9. #1034
    Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    New Bedford

    Re: 2018 MLB Postseason Games Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    Good post.
    I feel like this should be the response every time I post.

    Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    The Sox should still make the play-offs as the first WC--I don't doubt that at all, but I have serious questions about them keeping up with the Yankees for the division provided, again, that the Yankees make worthwhile additions to the team while the Sox keep more or less the same team.

    It should be a great year next year. We have been especially looking forward to this off-season and what it will produce in helping shape the roster for next year and beyond.
    I don't think I've ever been more hyped to see how the offseason pans out. I'm even kind of excited vicariously for fans of other teams. Phillies, Braves, Yankees, White Sox, Mets, and even the Padres likely to make some splashes in some way, shape, or form. There's just so much that can happen, and the unique state of the market makes things all the more interesting.

  10. #1035
    Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    New Bedford

    Re: 2018 MLB Postseason Games Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Nope. Not happening.

    At 35 years old, Pedroia would be well into his decline phase even without knee problems. To expect a healthy to reach acareeraverage WAR would be a reach. Heís been a 5 WAR player only once in the past 5 years. But the fact is that his knee is shot. Heís not ever coming back to be an everyday player. Heís been able to play a full season only once in the last 4 years. Heís not going to start now.
    That's also a reasonable possibility, and I lean more toward that direction myself. I'm not gonna count the guy out, though. In fact, I had most of those feelings back in 2015- he was on the wrong side of 30, had spent much of the previous few years banged up, missed a lot of time, in 2014-15, and I had always predicted he'd age poorly because of his size and how hard he played. Then he got healthy and posted a year in line with his career averages in 2016. We'll never know what would have happened if he hadn't have fallen prey to the Baltimore Butcher, but I can't count the guy out. You just never know with these things.

  11. #1036

    Re: 2018 MLB Postseason Games Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows View Post
    That's also a reasonable possibility, and I lean more toward that direction myself. I'm not gonna count the guy out, though. In fact, I had most of those feelings back in 2015- he was on the wrong side of 30, had spent much of the previous few years banged up, missed a lot of time, in 2014-15, and I had always predicted he'd age poorly because of his size and how hard he played. Then he got healthy and posted a year in line with his career averages in 2016. We'll never know what would have happened if he hadn't have fallen prey to the Baltimore Butcher, but I can't count the guy out. You just never know with these things.
    Actually there does come a time when you do know and weíre there.

    I agree with you about his size and how hard he played. He always played bigger than he was. He eschewed a lighter bat and instead swung an axe handled, maple bat. Maple, a harder and less forgiving wood than ash, is what Barry Bonds used in his 73 HR season. I believe that all of that has worn him down as we all knew that it inevitably would.

    Pedey is no longer just on the wrong side of 30, heís now on the wrong side of 35. As iconic and beloved figure in Boston as Derek Jeter was in NY, he is now trying to make the same kind of come back from injury that Jeter did in his final season, except with even more working against him. Jeter averaged 3-4 WAR over his career, but in his final season it was 0.2. Thatís the kind of decline youíll see in Pedey IF he can stay on the field. I think itís highly doubtful that he can stay on the field at this point.

  12. #1037
    Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Danville, NH

    Re: 2018 MLB Postseason Games Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows View Post
    Not every writer, broadcaster, and talking head in Boston is a lazy, inflammatory, instigating provocateur with nothing new, original, or unique to say, but the loudest and most visible often are. This region has long been infested with such leeches, and it took decades for bonafide Red Sox legends like Ted Williams and Jim Rice to recover from their efforts.
    I miss Eddie Andelman. He was a fan and I loved his show. Michael Felger is a Packers fan. He always talks about You and Your team. I hate that. I'm a fan and want to hear great things about my teams.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows View Post
    Credit where credit is due, though; they made Price's success this postseason even more enjoyable to those of us who see through their dishonest profiteering.
    True.

  13. #1038

    Re: 2018 MLB Postseason Games Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Actually there does come a time when you do know and weíre there.

    I agree with you about his size and how hard he played. He always played bigger than he was. He eschewed a lighter bat and instead swung an axe handled, maple bat. Maple, a harder and less forgiving wood than ash, is what Barry Bonds used in his 73 HR season. I believe that all of that has worn him down as we all knew that it inevitably would.

    Pedey is no longer just on the wrong side of 30, heís now on the wrong side of 35. As iconic and beloved figure in Boston as Derek Jeter was in NY, he is now trying to make the same kind of come back from injury that Jeter did in his final season, except with even more working against him. Jeter averaged 3-4 WAR over his career, but in his final season it was 0.2. Thatís the kind of decline youíll see in Pedey IF he can stay on the field. I think itís highly doubtful that he can stay on the field at this point.
    I sense his career as he knew it is over. For his peace of mind I expect the Sox will give him the opportunity to give it one more try ......maybe.
    If the Sox feel it's a long short they my move Mookie back to 2nd base which is his natural position and could very possible make a move to acquire Harper to play right field.
    Don't think the Yankees will be in on Harper given their glut of outfielders under contract. Shocked they are bringing back Brett with Ellsbury ready to return. Not sure what Cashman is thinking.

  14. #1039
    Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    New Bedford

    Re: 2018 MLB Postseason Games Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BUZZARDS BAY View Post
    I sense his career as he knew it is over. For his peace of mind I expect the Sox will give him the opportunity to give it one more try ......maybe.
    If the Sox feel it's a long short they my move Mookie back to 2nd base which is his natural position and could very possible make a move to acquire Harper to play right field.
    Don't think the Yankees will be in on Harper given their glut of outfielders under contract. Shocked they are bringing back Brett with Ellsbury ready to return. Not sure what Cashman is thinking.
    Bringing back Gardner was the smart move. Doesn't matter whether or not Ells is ready; at this point in their careers, Gardner is a far better player. Jacoby picked up the nickname DLsbury way back when he was still in his prime, and deservedly so. I always liked him, and still have fond memories, but everything Bill Marsh said about Pedroia above applies tenfold to Ells.

    Gardner is the perfect role player. He is a patient, professional hitter with a little pop, a smart baserunner, and provides good to very good defense at all three outfield positions. He's coming off a disappointing season, but I think he'll probably bounce back very nicely as a well rested, roving 4th OF next year.

    No chance the Sox go after Harper. Henry is in one of his spending moods lately, but what little payroll flexibility we have right now will likely be dedicated to bringing back some of the guys who are up for FA the next year or two.

    I don't think the Yankees have any serious interest in Machado, and only a little in Harper. They already have studs at 3B, SS, and RF, and if they are smart they will dedicate their resources toward rotation depth, a couple bullpen arms, a utility IF, and possibly a defense first catcher so Sanchez can DH a bit more often.

  15. #1040

    Re: 2018 MLB Postseason Games Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BUZZARDS BAY View Post
    I sense his career as he knew it is over. For his peace of mind I expect the Sox will give him the opportunity to give it one more try ......maybe.
    If the Sox feel it's a long short they my move Mookie back to 2nd base which is his natural position and could very possible make a move to acquire Harper to play right field.
    I agree. Pedey will get the Jeter treatment.

    Interesting point about Mookie. I forgot about that. He would have awesome offensive value at 2B.

  16. #1041

    Re: 2018 MLB Postseason Games Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows View Post
    Bringing back Gardner was the smart move. Doesn't matter whether or not Ells is ready; at this point in their careers, Gardner is a far better player. Jacoby picked up the nickname DLsbury way back when he was still in his prime, and deservedly so. I always liked him, and still have fond memories . . .
    As a Yankee fan who lives in New England and has family in Boston, I got to see a lot of Ellsbury when in was with the Red Sox. I too always liked him and his sweet stroke that generated lots of line drives.

    As for his DL reputation being deserved, I strongly disagree. More like the fact that Red Sox fans have for generations liked to eat their own, a habit which seems to have been picked up by Yankee fans lately.

    Did Ellsbury deserve the criticism for missing most of a season after a collisiin with 3Bman Adrian Beltre, who was built like a fullback or for the fact that the Red Sox medical staff missiagnosed his multiple rib fractures? Ellsbury was still getting adjusted to LF, a move which he had accepted without complaint afterthe Red Sox brought in 37 year old Mike Cameron to play CF when the collision with Beltre occurred early in the season.

    Was Ellsbury dogging it after the collision at 2B when Reid Brignac fell on his shoulder? Did that make him fragile? If youíve ever had a shoulder injury, you know how debilitating those injuries can be. You canít even sleep. That injury cost him half a season. How was it his fault that Brignac fell on him and tore up his shoulder?

    Why did Ellsbury never get credit for playing through a stress fracture in his right foot in 2013? All major leaguers play hurt and Ellsbury played through his share of hurts. Base stealers in particular play with more than their share of pain after all those slides. They all talk about it in retirement.

    Lazy reporters and lazy fans - not referring to you - sit back in the comfort of their viewing accommodations and criticize players for not trying, or for dogging it. At his peak in Boston, Ellsbury averaged 152 games in his healthy seasons (2008, 09, 11). He was headed toward another 150 game season in 2013 until he suffered that stress fracture I mentioned above that cost him 3 weeks (17 games) in September. But he came back before the end of the season and starred in the playoffs while playing on that stress fracture. He played 134 games in the regular season that year. The next year he played 149 games in his first season in NY.

  17. #1042
    Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Danville, NH

    Re: 2018 MLB Postseason Games Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Why did Ellsbury never get credit for playing through a stress fracture in his right foot in 2013?
    Scott Boras. Everyone knew this kid was up for auction. Everyone knew he would end up in pinstripes. All we could hope was that he would suck.

  18. #1043
    Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    New Bedford

    Re: 2018 MLB Postseason Games Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    As a Yankee fan who lives in New England and has family in Boston, I got to see a lot of Ellsbury when in was with the Red Sox. I too always liked him and his sweet stroke that generated lots of line drives.

    As for his DL reputation being deserved, I strongly disagree. More like the fact that Red Sox fans have for generations liked to eat their own, a habit which seems to have been picked up by Yankee fans lately.

    Did Ellsbury deserve the criticism for missing most of a season after a collisiin with 3Bman Adrian Beltre, who was built like a fullback or for the fact that the Red Sox medical staff missiagnosed his multiple rib fractures? Ellsbury was still getting adjusted to LF, a move which he had accepted without complaint afterthe Red Sox brought in 37 year old Mike Cameron to play CF when the collision with Beltre occurred early in the season.

    Was Ellsbury dogging it after the collision at 2B when Reid Brignac fell on his shoulder? Did that make him fragile? If you’ve ever had a shoulder injury, you know how debilitating those injuries can be. You can’t even sleep. That injury cost him half a season. How was it his fault that Brignac fell on him and tore up his shoulder?

    Why did Ellsbury never get credit for playing through a stress fracture in his right foot in 2013? All major leaguers play hurt and Ellsbury played through his share of hurts. Base stealers in particular play with more than their share of pain after all those slides. They all talk about it in retirement.

    Lazy reporters and lazy fans - not referring to you - sit back in the comfort of their viewing accommodations and criticize players for not trying, or for dogging it. At his peak in Boston, Ellsbury averaged 152 games in his healthy seasons (2008, 09, 11). He was headed toward another 150 game season in 2013 until he suffered that stress fracture I mentioned above that cost him 3 weeks (17 games) in September. But he came back before the end of the season and starred in the playoffs while playing on that stress fracture. He played 134 games in the regular season that year. The next year he played 149 games in his first season in NY.
    I know you weren't attributing those emotions and sense of blame to me or my post, but I'll clarify for those who might not get that. DLsbury was a deserved nickname simply because he was often hurt while he was here (and has been ten times worse since he left). It isn't because he's a bad guy, or a gold bricker, or a crybaby bitch who didn't want to play through the pain, or because it's his own stupid fault he was hurt. Again, nothing but love for the guy. Some guys are just more fragile than others, and others are just the victims of unfortunate circumstance. It is what it is.

    I always liked guys like Ellsbury, Youkilis, and for a more extreme example, Rocco Baldelli, and it actually makes me slightly sad when I think about what their respective careers became. Pedroia is in a similar boat the last 5-6 years. Again, no blame. It isn't necessarily anybody's fault. It sucks, though, and I think it's okay as fans to complain when the constantly hurt guy you desperately want to succeed gets hurt again.

    On a similar note, I couldn't be more happy to see Lowrie doing what he has done in Oakland the last couple of years. More astute Sox fans always knew he was capable of putting up numbers like that if he could just stay healthy, and it's great to see him finally do so. Better late than never.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts