+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

October 2, 1978--40 Years! Bucky F. Dent

I think this deserves a thread. For me, it was my apogee as a Yankee fan, to date. I watched in a crowded graduate student pub on the banks of the Charles a few miles from Fenway with a cadre of five other New York fans. I will never forget the six of us going nuts in front of 150 shocked and silent Sox fans. It doesn't get any better.

It's my sig for a reason...although I was watching the Sox feed and did not hear Bill White's call at the time. I doubt the Sox feed has ever been rebroadcast, but I still remember. The announcer never said "home run", never gave the score, never said the Yankees took the lead. He sort of went catatonic, and then mumbled, over and over, "Bucky Dent has hit it in the netting over the left field wall," as if that meant it didn't count. Very weird. I think he was in shock. I'd love to see it again.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Re: October 2, 1978--40 Years! Bucky F. Dent

Hard to believe it's been that long.

For those of you too young to remember this firsthand, the lead-in to the Oct 2 MOMENT made it that much more enjoyable. In mid-to-late July, the Yankees were in 4th place. They were 14 games behind the Red Sox. This was the year Billy Martin was fired for saying "one's a born liar - the other's convicted." It's the year he was announced as NEXT year's manager during the Old Timer's Game. It was the year Guidry went 25 and 3. It was Gossage's first year as a Yankee.

Then, in the 163rd game, the Yankees were behind, in Fenway, 2-0 after 6. Close enough that one heroic swing could make a difference. But far enough behind that it felt like a gut punch. Who would be the hero? Reggie? Thurman? Chambliss? Piniella? Nettles? There was a cast of characters, any one of which could be the one. Nope. Bucky. Freaking. Dent.

Prior to that game, Bucky had hit a sum total of 4 home runs in 1978. In fact, after 6 seasons in the big leagues, this was Bucky's 23rd CAREER Home Run.

In no particular order, my favorite moments as a Yankee fan are Dent's HR, Chambliss' walk-off, Boone's ALCS walk-off, Mickey's 500th, and Reggie's 'Mr October' game.

40 years. Wow.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

I wasn't alive but I read October Men a few years back. One of the few books I've read in one sitting.

I know it was over a longer period of a few months climbing back from 14 games down culminating in that game 163, but that moment must have been how I felt watching the Aaron Boone HR in 2003.

Speaking of having it take place over several months, I know Billy Martin was fired and rehired, but please tell me whoever was manager of the Sox lost his job after giving up that big a lead in 60some games.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    I wasn't alive but I read October Men a few years back. One of the few books I've read in one sitting.

I know it was over a longer period of a few months climbing back from 14 games down culminating in that game 163, but that moment must have been how I felt watching the Aaron Boone HR in 2003.

Speaking of having it take place over several months, I know Billy Martin was fired and rehired, but please tell me whoever was manager of the Sox lost his job after giving up that big a lead in 60some games.
    It was Don Zimmer,wasn't it?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Joba's Beard View Post
    It was Don Zimmer,wasn't it?
    Yeah Zimmer was the Red Sox manager that year. Though I had to look it up.
    Totally forgot Eckersley won 20 games for the Sox that year and can't believe "closer" Bob Stanley went 15-2 with 10 SV in 141.2 IP and 3 starts to boot. Those were different times.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

I've been avidly rooting for the Yankees for 52 years, with mild interest in 1966.

That game is my all time favorite game.
    That moment, my all time favorite moment.
    That season, my favorite season.
    Do not fear, all we want to do is talk.

Only words, and then your thoughts.

Old. This thread makes me feel old. Not one Yankee fan at work under 45 years old can speak of this year from memory.

Those that know me, know I'm a Red Sox fan. Pretty much always have been. That year was a great year going into August. Then the wheels came off, just as NY was going on an unbelievable tear. Evans get's beaned. Zimmer benches Lee. The Boston Massacre. Bobby Sprowl gets the ball in games that he clearly wasn't ready. Memory may be fading but Butch Hobson's bone chips and Fred Lynn's hamstring pulls may have been in the mix as well. Modern day tortoise and the hare.

I remember the Sunday before listening to the Sox come from behind in the standings to catch NY to force the tie-breaker. Yes... even with the 14.5 game lead on August 14th, NY not only caught Boston but went ahead.

I was delivering newspapers back then. To this day I remember the address of the house that I was at when Dent hit the dinger off Mike Torrez. With Yaz's homer off Guidry, NY still needed Reggie's shot to ice it.

Read recently that the game marked the end of that era's rivalry. The Boston ownership, seeing free agency on the rise, decided to dismantle the team before they all walked. Lynn, Fisk, and Burleson all gone within a couple of years. Even Tiant left Boston to go to NY. NY had its own dismantling with the Munson tragedy, the revolving door that was Billy Martin, and Father Time hitting some of the veteran's.

The rivalry of the early 2000's didn't touch the four years between '75 and '78. Doubt the current burgeoning youth movement between the two teams will come close to those years as well.

Raise a glass to the old day's... as we will most likely never see a pennant race like this ever again.

Ask me about my groin pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1979 View Post
    I remember the Sunday before listening to the Sox come from behind in the standings to catch NY to force the tie-breaker. Yes... even with the 14.5 game lead on August 14th, NY not only caught Boston but went ahead.
    Yeah, most people forget that part. It was a 14-game lead, and it was July 19 - when the Yankees won the first of five straight before Martin said, "You can't fire me, I quit." (A week later it was announced that he would return as manager in 1980, not 1979.) That was the start of a 42-15 tear that put the Yankees up by 3.5 games on September 16, which the Red Sox whittled down to 1 game on September 23.

For 6 days after that, the Yankees and Sox won every day. It was insane. Finally, on October 1, the Red Sox beat Toronto while the Yankees were losing to Cleveland, forcing the tie and the one-game playoff. Dent hit his home run with a bat he borrowed from Mickey Rivers.

Little-known fact: in the spring of 1978, I was in the hospital with an unspecified but possibly fatal illness. Ron Guidry visited me and promised me that, in honor of my name, he would go 25 and 3 that season. It gave me the strength to live.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

I remember playing stick ball in the street listening to the game on the radio. After Dent hit the HR I went in to watch the rest of the game. My biggest memory of the game was Lou Pinella in RF losing the ball in the sun but still deeking the runner into not scoring.
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I've been avidly rooting for the Yankees for 52 years, with mild interest in 1966.

That game is my all time favorite game.
    That moment, my all time favorite moment.
    That season, my favorite season.
    Pretty much all of this.

Chambliss' HR comes close, because it sent the Yankees to the first World Series I could fully appreciate them being in. But, '78 was such a special year to be a Yankee fan.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yeah, most people forget that part. It was a 14-game lead, and it was July 19 - when the Yankees won the first of five straight before Martin said, "You can't fire me, I quit." (A week later it was announced that he would return as manager in 1980, not 1979.) That was the start of a 42-15 tear that put the Yankees up by 3.5 games on September 16, which the Red Sox whittled down to 1 game on September 23.

For 6 days after that, the Yankees and Sox won every day. It was insane. Finally, on October 1, the Red Sox beat Toronto while the Yankees were losing to Cleveland, forcing the tie and the one-game playoff. Dent hit his home run with a bat he borrowed from Mickey Rivers.

Little-known fact: in the spring of 1978, I was in the hospital with an unspecified but possibly fatal illness. Ron Guidry visited me and promised me that, in honor of my name, he would go 25 and 3 that season. It gave me the strength to live.
    The funny thing about that, and I have no idea why it stuck with me all these years, is the Ken Harrleson and Dick Stockton who were the television crew for the Sox those years. On the day that the Sox had their 14.5 game lead, Stockton and Harrleson were going over the standings and the Hawk, laughing, "Yeah, New York is done."

Hated that guy ever since.

By the way, glad you didn't die. If he went 26-2, where would you have been.
    Last edited by Archer1979; 10-02-18 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Wanted to make a not dying joke
    Ask me about my groin pull.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Old. This thread makes me feel old. Not one Yankee fan at work under 45 years old can speak of this year from memory.

Those that know me, know I'm a Red Sox fan. Pretty much always have been. That year was a great year going into August. Then the wheels came off, just as NY was going on an unbelievable tear. Evans get's beaned. Zimmer benches Lee. The Boston Massacre. Bobby Sprowl gets the ball in games that he clearly wasn't ready. Memory may be fading but Butch Hobson's bone chips and Fred Lynn's hamstring pulls may have been in the mix as well. Modern day tortoise and the hare.

I was delivering newspapers back then. To this day I remember the address of the house that I was at when Dent hit the dinger off Mike Torrez. With Yaz's homer off Guidry, NY still needed Reggie's shot to ice it.

Read recently that the game marked the end of that era's rivalry. The Boston ownership, seeing free agency on the rise, decided to dismantle the team before they all walked. Lynn, Fisk, and Burleson all gone within a couple of years. Even Tiant left Boston to go to NY. NY had its own dismantling with the Munson tragedy, the revolving door that was Billy Martin, and Father Time hitting some of the veteran's.

The rivalry of the early 2000's didn't touch the four years between '75 and '78. Doubt the current burgeoning youth movement between the two teams will come close to those years as well.

Raise a glass to the old day's... as we will most likely never see a pennant race like this ever again.

Fantastic post. Cheers!

I canít craft the words as to why this is, except to say that cable sports packages, MLB Extra Innings, etc prevent it from ever happening again. That season lived in the sports page as much as it did the TV and radio. We only had access to a couple teams. This Week in Baseball proved to us that there were indeed stars on other teams.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

NYYF Legend

Unless you were a fan of the 2007 Colorado Rockies.

There have been some great pennant races over the years and "playoff" races with the advent of the WC.

This was indeed one of the great races and one the great comebacks but Yankee and Red Sox fans in particular remember it more.
    Baseball is life;

The funny thing about that, and I have no idea why it stuck with me all these years, is the Ken Harrleson and Dick Stockton who were the television crew for the Sox those years. On the day that the Sox had their 14.5 game lead, Stockton and Harrleson were going over the standings and the Hawk, laughing, "Yeah, New York is done."

Hated that guy ever since.

By the way, glad you didn't die. If he went 26-2, where would you have been.
    It was touch and go before the Yankees lost game 162. If they had won, Guidry would have ended the season at 24-3.

The sad part is you'll probably never have a regular season one game play-off game between the Yankees and Sox because of the wild card. The 162 game regular season drama with a Sox/Yankees summer isn't the same anymore.Oh well.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    The sad part is you'll probably never have a regular season one game play-off game between the Yankees and Sox because of the wild card. The 162 game regular season drama with a Sox/Yankees summer isn't the same anymore.Oh well.
    There really arenít pennant races anymore, period.

That's the truth. The Yankees pretty much decided to play for 2nd place since the middle of July. I'd happily live without the wild card.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Awesome but I liked Boone's HR better. That whole game was bonkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Awesome but I liked Boone's HR better. That whole game was bonkers.
    Thank God for Grady Little

Quote Originally Posted by fredmuggs
    That's the truth. The Yankees pretty much decided to play for 2nd place since the middle of July. I'd happily live without the wild card.
    When we were young (well, when muggs was less old), you played a full season, within your league, and ONE TEAM advanced. It was all or nothing. World Series or bust. And sure, that made for some nail-biting pennant races. But it also made for some blowouts. Back in the 50s, it wasn't unusual for the Yankees to have an eight game lead at the end of the season. Not exactly riveting pennant fever.

Then, in '69, they went to divisional play. Doubled the number of teams going to the post-season, from two to four. Not exactly a pennant race any longer, but there were additional opportunities to have meaningful games in September. The problem was that if the second-best team in a league was in the same division as the leader, they would be shut out of the playoffs.

In '94, they went to three divisions, and introduced the wild card to keep an even number of teams. It also eliminated the situation where the second-best team would stay home.

And after a couple years where the Wild Card won the World Series, there were cries that the 162 game marathon didn't mean anything, and the one-game Wild Card play-in was introduced. This allowed two additional teams to play in the post season, and provided a pretty strong incentive to be the division champion, rather than reach the playoffs as a wild card.

I honestly don't hate the changes. I like that the wild card team needs to burn a pitcher just to get to the Division Series. I like the fact that ten teams have post-season slots. Beats two, and it beats the NBA and NHL, where seemingly everybody goes to the playoffs.

Look at the mess the NL was in this year. After 162 games, it took an extra game to figure out who the winner was in two of the three divisions. Not a pennant race, in the purest sense of the word, but it sure was meaningful baseball all the way to the end of the season, and an extra day past that.

- President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

The one team per league did lead to some strange results like when the Yankees won 103 games but finished 8 games back and didn't make the WS setting the stage for Willie Mays iconic catch.

Even the 2 team format had some weird results. Like the 103 Giants missing the playoffs by 1 game while the 97 win Philles would go on to beat the 104 win Braves before making Joe Carter famous.
    Baseball is life;

Devoted Member

More than memorable. Can never forget it.
    If you can't change your mind, you can't change anything

NYYF Legend

I ran home from school and could not get home fast enough. I sat in our kitchen and watched the game on a 13 inch color tv and thought that it was one of the greatest event that I had ever seen. Jumping up and down when Dent hit it out and then thinking that the game was all but over, when Reggie hit that HR. Only to sweat it out on every Gossage pitch as he went multiple innings to get the save.

Thread Information