+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Yankees vs. Athletics Wild Card News & Discussion

The regular season officially came to a close yesterday. 100 wins for the Yankees. Impressive considering the injuries and inexperience of the coaching staff which, in my opinion, costed the team some wins.

Who do you think will start Wednesday's game?

Re: Yankees vs. Athletics Wild Card News & Discussion

I don't like our chances against the A's bullpen. Tampa beat us out many times this year using "the opener" bullpen game strategy, and their bullpen is not as good as Oakland.

I'm still trying to figure out the 25 man roster. More than 10 pitchers would be a waste, so I think Wade and Bird will be there. Might come down to either Holder or Torreyes, neither of which should get in the game.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out the 25 man roster. More than 10 pitchers would be a waste, so I think Wade and Bird will be there. Might come down to either Holder or Torreyes, neither of which should get in the game.
    I actually think the Yankees should play the WC game with a short bench and long bullpen - absent injury (or defensive substitution in Andújar's case), no one in the starting lineup is going to be replaced. So, my bench would be Romine, Hecchavaria and Walker.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    I actually think the Yankees should play the WC game with a short bench and long bullpen - absent injury (or defensive substitution in Andújar's case), no one in the starting lineup is going to be replaced. So, my bench would be Romine, Hecchavaria and Walker.
    Wade might be a consideration to PR.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

In addition to Walker, Romine, and Hechy, Gardner obviously will be on the bench. There will not be more than 12 pitchers. One of those will be Holder, based on his season, not the last outing. I think another will be Tarpley. He at least will be one of 12 on the ALDS if they win Wednesday. I think the top 12 are the four starters, the five premier relievers, Holder, Tarpley and Lynn over Gray as a long man. I think for the playoff game, they might carry Bird rather than one of the starters or, more likely, Lynn. Maybe Wade also.

I would start Sevy with a very quick hook if he is not dominating. Give him a chance, because if he is on, no one will hit him.

NYYF Legend

I still think they should go with Happ. He held Oakland to one run over 6 innings at Oakland. Severino can be dominate but Oakland hit him in that same series. This is not the Twins. Can't afford to be three runs down early in this game like last season.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Wade might be a consideration to PR.
    Absolutely. And, if he runs for Voit they'll need Bird. No need to carry CC, Cole, or any of the September pitching callups except maybe Tarpley.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by 1936-1939JoeNLou View Post
    I don't like our chances against the A's bullpen. Tampa beat us out many times this year using "the opener" bullpen game strategy, and their bullpen is not as good as Oakland.

Those games were played with a different team.. we are playing and hitting a lot better now and are pretty much healthy.. The Rays seem to own us with that strategy this year I'd agree, until this last series when we were pretty much whole, the results then were very different..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Absolutely. And, if he runs for Voit they'll need Bird. No need to carry CC, Cole, or any of the September pitching callups except maybe Tarpley.
    I imagine they'll go Walker, who has more defensive flexibility than Bird.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    I still think they should go with Happ. He held Oakland to one run over 6 innings at Oakland. Severino can be dominate but Oakland hit him in that same series. This is not the Twins. Can't afford to be three runs down early in this game like last season.
    Ymike, I agree.

Though not throwing Sevy Sunday makes me think it will be him. And with the extra rest hes gotten lately thanks to Boone (credit where it is due) he’s looked a lot more like 1st half Sevy. I think his 2nd half struggles were from loss of command due to hitting a wall.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

I imagine they'll go Walker, who has more defensive flexibility than Bird.
    I think both will be on WC roster. If they win Bird is off the ALDS roster for a pitcher. I think walker is a lock for each round off the bench.
    Baseball is life;

i still think they should go with happ. He held oakland to one run over 6 innings at oakland. Severino can be dominate but oakland hit him in that same series. This is not the twins. Can't afford to be three runs down early in this game like last season.
    ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NYYF Legend

This is my lineup guess:

McCutchen
    Judge
    Hicks
    Stanton
    Voit
    Didi
    Andujar
    Sanchez
    Bae

Although I wouldn't mind if they put Voit a little higher...maybe switch with Stanton.
    Calmer than you are

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Ymike, I agree.

Though not throwing Sevy Sunday makes me think it will be him. And with the extra rest hes gotten lately thanks to Boone (credit where it is due) he’s looked a lot more like 1st half Sevy. I think his 2nd half struggles were from loss of command due to hitting a wall.
    I agree with that but still there is no margin for error in this game. Would rather see Severino open up the Boston series. If he dominates, great, but at least if he does not there will still be more games to be played. Happ has not lost a game for us yet and he was strong against the A's. Any other team this decision is a no brainer.

NYYF Legend

This is my lineup guess:

McCutchen
    Judge
    Hicks
    Stanton
    Voit
    Didi
    Andujar
    Sanchez
    Bae

Although I wouldn't mind if they put Voit a little higher...maybe switch with Stanton.
    Good lineup. Although I would bat Torres instead of Bae.

NYYF Legend

I agree with that but still there is no margin for error in this game. Would rather see Severino open up the Boston series. If he dominates, great, but at least if he does not there will still be more games to be played. Happ has not lost a game for us yet and he was strong against the A's. Any other team this decision is a no brainer.
    You have to win the WC game to get to the ALDS so I agree with you. But if they are playing for the WS Happ in G1 (and available for G5 if necessary) v Boston makes the most sense.
    This is my lineup guess:

McCutchen
    Judge
    Hicks
    Stanton
    Voit
    Didi
    Andujar
    Sanchez
    Bae

I agree this or something really really close to it will be the starting lineup.
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by 1936-1939JoeNLou View Post
    This worries me too. Especially when you think back to game 7 of the ALCS last year. 27 curveballs in a row, or whatever it was. You can't really do that as a starter but you can do that if you're only pitching a couple innings. I feel like our lineup can be pitched to and having to face a fresh are every inning or two is going to be difficult.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

Anyone else hate that this game is played Wed instead of Tues? 'm guessing hitters don't want consecutive (three consecutive days for those who didn't play on Sunday) off-days since it disrupts their timing. I realize both teams have to deal with this, but seems like this could be a bigger deal for a power hitting team like the Yanks.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by poneil2321 View Post
    Anyone else hate that this game is played Wed instead of Tues? 'm guessing hitters don't want consecutive (three consecutive days for those who didn't play on Sunday) off-days since it disrupts their timing. I realize both teams have to deal with this, but seems like this could be a bigger deal for a power hitting team like the Yanks.
    The A's live and die by the long ball as much as the Yankees.

I mean they didn't break the MLB record like the Yanks but the were 2nd behind the Yanks (and did have the MLB leader in Khris Davis) with 227 despite playing in a ball park that depresses HR output.

A's hit 136 HRs on the road 91 at Home
    Yanks hit 144 at Home, 123 on the Road,

So away from the hone ball park the A's out homered the Yanks.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    In addition to Walker, Romine, and Hechy, Gardner obviously will be on the bench. There will not be more than 12 pitchers. One of those will be Holder, based on his season, not the last outing. I think another will be Tarpley. He at least will be one of 12 on the ALDS if they win Wednesday. I think the top 12 are the four starters, the five premier relievers, Holder, Tarpley and Lynn over Gray as a long man. I think for the playoff game, they might carry Bird rather than one of the starters or, more likely, Lynn. Maybe Wade also.

I would start Sevy with a very quick hook if he is not dominating. Give him a chance, because if he is on, no one will hit him.
    I forgot Gardy in my original post - he should be on the bench as well.

I don't see the purpose of putting all four starting pitchers on the Wild Card roster - I don't think I would put more than two on the roster, in fact. The remainder of the pitchers should be relievers.

As for who the relievers should be: Chapman, Betances, Britton, Robinson and Green are no brainers. I think Tarpley and Holder make sense as well, but after those pitchers, the remaining options have warts - I would rather the second SP become the long man, although then there is the issue of that pitcher properly warming up.

So, with nine pitchers identified and thirteen position players, there are potentially three additional spots to debate.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by poneil2321 View Post
    What I think is more interesting is that by pre-scheduling all the series, baseball basically lost the ability to flex with regards to the game 163 scenarios playing out today - neither of the losers today will have any time off between losing today and playing the NLWC game tomorrow.

Either Colorado or LA will have to fly to Chicago/Milwaukee after today's game and Colorado had to hop from Denver to LA after yesterday's game.

Of course, there probably is no way you can leave flexibility in the schedule AND account for all the possibilities. I mean, if the two games today were one in each league, there would be no winners and no losers with regards to playing a WC game on Tuesday.

NYYF Legend

FOR WC only - ALDS with change I think they will go -

Starting 9
    McCutchen (LF)
    Judge (RF)
    Hicks (CF)
    Stanton (DH)
    Voit (1B)
    Didi (SS)
    Andujar (3B)
    Sanchez (C)
    Torres (2B)

SP (3)
    Sevy (?)
    Tanaka (?) Long man if Sevy knocked out
    Happ (?) (emergency extra inning long man)

RP (8)
    Chapman, Britton, Betances, Robertson, Green, Holder, Kahnle, Tarpley (early LOOGY only)

Bench (5)
    Romine, Walker, Gardner, Bird (situational PH only or 1b defense replacement), Wade (PR only)

If they win I suspect they will drop Kahnle & Bird for CC & Lynn for the ALDS roster and might swap out Wade for someone like Torreyes.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Kahnle cannot be on this roster. There is absolutely no scenario where he should pitch in this game.
    Calmer than you are

NYYF Legend

Kahnle cannot be on this roster. There is absolutely no scenario where he should pitch in this game.
    probably but who would replace him?
    Baseball is life;

Thread Information