+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Re: Yankees vs. Athletics Wild Card News & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I really hope that was not the logic behind this decision. You cannot be looking ahead to the division series. Lose tomorrow night and the season is over. I can only surmise they were thinking of bullpenning the wildcard game but figured they might as well roll the dice that they are going to get "good Severino". If he doesn't look sharp they pull him immediately and it becomes a bullpen game anyway. But Happ seemed like the obvious choice to me.
    Something tells me it was. Which is bad obviously

I agree, happ was the best choice
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

Would have gone with Happ as well, though I prefer Sevvy going rather than Tanaka
    #HarperWatch

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Very poor decision. They only care about Friday. And the thought that Happ could pitch a game 5 that might never happen. What if Happ had won tomorrow and Yankees beat Boston in 4 games?
    Not only Happ. I trust Tanaka in a do-or-die game more than Severino. His less than stellar second half and last year WC game just come to mind when I think of him.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Very poor decision. They only care about Friday. And the thought that Happ could pitch a game 5 that might never happen. What if Happ had won tomorrow and Yankees beat Boston in 4 games?
    I think they feel Sevy is the best option for tomorrow and it's not about Friday. I personally think they're wrong and it's incredibly risky to start Sevy as he hasn't been the consistently reliable option he was in the first half or that Happ has been lately, but I don't think they're managing ahead they're just banking on Sevy's upside over Happ's performance.

Happ is on the roster though, so Sevy should be on the shortest of hooks. He doesn't even have to give up a run to get pulled in my book. Just watch his command and you'll know what you're likely to get. It would not, in my opinion, be overly reactionary to pull him after putting a couple base runners on. Will they do that, I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Khris Davis, Piscotty, and Matt Chapman. Their three best hitters, hit lefties significantly worse.
    Good point, although with Piscotty that seems to be recent development (which is what matters, of course...just saying).

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I really hope that was not the logic behind this decision. You cannot be looking ahead to the division series. Lose tomorrow night and the season is over. I can only surmise they were thinking of bullpenning the wildcard game but figured they might as well roll the dice that they are going to get "good Severino". If he doesn't look sharp they pull him immediately and it becomes a bullpen game anyway. But Happ seemed like the obvious choice to me.
    I don't necessarily think that was the logic behind it but it is the ultimate reality. Assuming Sevy doesn't implode in the first inning (again ) and he gives us 4-5 innings then Happ goes game 1. If Sevy DOES implode, you still have the option to bring in Happ.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

NYYF Legend

Severino finished his last 3 starts with a 2.04 era 17.2IP, 18K's so it's not like he finished poorly down the stretch. I'm not thrilled with the decision, but i'm also not downright negative about it.

Somebody needs to steal his Lucky Charms.

(ETA: Yes, I know he's Australian.)
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    Severino finished his last 3 starts with a 2.04 era 17.2IP, 18K's so it's not like he finished poorly down the stretch. I'm not thrilled with the decision, but i'm also not downright negative about it.
    Yep. Lot of bridge jumpers on Twitter right now.

David Cone likes the move.

Yeah and the start before that he got yanked after 2.2 innings after coughing up 6 Hits, 5Ers (6Rs) and had the messiest wild pitch/passed ball first inning any baseball fan has ever seen. Oh who was the opponent? Oakland. And who was the catcher? That's right, Sanchez.

Gee, let's recreate that magic!

It should have been Happ and I definitely think they're looking ahead towards the RS.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    David Cone likes the move.
    Was he on air with someone? I'd like to hear his take on things. thanks.

NYYF Cy Young

I find myself wondering if part of what went into their decision had to do not with the ALDS, but with Severino’s future as the Yankee Ace. For him to take that next step would be to pitch the WC game and do well; they need him to do that and he needs do do it for his own confidence in being the “ace”. Maybe they think that not starting him would cause or reinforce a lack of confidence that would impede his taking that step. It would also keep them from finding out if he really can be that sort of Cy Young ace.

Quote Originally Posted by Slickman View Post
    Yeah and the start before that he got yanked after 2.2 innings after coughing up 6 Hits, 5Ers (6Rs) and had the messiest wild pitch/passed ball first inning any baseball fan has ever seen. Oh who was the opponent? Oakland. And who was the catcher? That's right, Sanchez.

Gee, let's recreate that magic!
    "Something bad happened once; I'm going to ignore recent success and a strong overall body of work so I can focus on that."

I think what makes the move look bad Is Thursday morning recap if they lose. If happ and romine go out there and they lose, eh it was the safe play. But if sevy and Sanchez go out there and they lose, it's what the heck where you thinking? Could you imagine if sevy and romine start a arguing again? Sanchez missing easy balls? Boone might else well just back up and leave.

Let's Go Yankees!

It's all about the team, not just one starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42 View Post
    "Something bad happened once; I'm going to ignore recent success and a strong overall body of work so I can focus on that."
    That's not the case at all. Severino's been one of the worst SPs in MLB after the AS break.

NYYF Legend

I'd have gone with Happ because he's been the best most consistent pitcher the Yankees have had since he came over from Toronto and he shut down the A's in oakland a few weeks ago.

But going with Sevy isn't a sky is falling scenario, going with Lynn or Gray that would be stupid but Sevy has pretty much replicated last year though he did struggle a lot in August and early September which is why I wouldn't be handing him the ball for a winner take all game.

That said, if Sevy brings his A game he's one of the top pitchers in baseball so I hope he's dealing tomorrow.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

lol, talk about cherry picking. Why his last three? Why not his last 4? Last four would be Sept. Why would you pick 3 and not 4, especially when that 4th game is the absolute most relevant one because IT WAS AGAINST OAKLAND.

Severino in Sept (4 starts) 20.1 IP, 20H, 10R, 9ER, 5BB, 21K, 33FB, 26GB, 3.98 ERA; 1.23 WHIP.

Last Start vs. Oakland: 2.2 IP, 6H, 5ER, 3k, 1BB, 59 pitches (a month ago)

Meanwhile, his last start against Boston was 7IP, 6H, 1ER, 1BB, 6k 109pitches.
    2 starts before that: 5.2IP/4ER/7H/ and 6.2IP/0ER, 2H

Aside from him not being the best pitcher, why on Earth would you want his next start to be against Oakland rather than Boston?

It's not the end of the world, but it's a very poor decision where the correct decision was very obvious.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Quote Originally Posted by Slickman View Post
    Lol, you can't be serious.
    Likewise.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    lol, talk about cherry picking. Why his last three? Why not his last 4? Last four would be Sept. Why would you pick 3 and not 4, especially when that 4th game is the absolute most relevant one because IT WAS AGAINST OAKLAND.

Severino in Sept (4 starts) 20.1 IP, 20H, 10R, 9ER, 5BB, 21K, 33FB, 26GB, 3.98 ERA; 1.23 WHIP.

Aside from him not being the best pitcher, why on Earth would you want his next start to be against Oakland rather than Boston?

If you want to cherry pick Sevy threw 6 IP of 1 R ball and 7 Ks v these same A's back in May.

I've already said I'd have gone Happ but Boone want's to go Sevy, I just hope it works out.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post

You mock the guy for cherry picking...then proceed to cherry pick? And if you're factoring in a potential matchup against Boston (which I hope to God the Yankees didn't do here), then wouldn't you want Happ for 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Jburke View Post
    Sounds like theyre going with Liam Hendricks as an opener.
    Fun fact: He has a 6.32 ERA against the Yankees.

Oakland is genius for going with a bullpen game. The Yanks can't seem to figure out how to hit middling relievers with high ERAs.

Thread Information