+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Cy Young

Tomorrow's Start time

Tomorrow, all major league games have the same start time 3:05 EDT. Is this something new?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubeFmHEVzQ0

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Re: Tomorrow's Start time

Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    Tomorrow, all major league games have the same start time 3:05 EDT. Is this something new?
    They have been doing this for a few years now. It makes sense, so if playoff teams are still in doubt...their games start at the same time.
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    I think this is the 3rd year they have done this. I like it.
    "Any day is a good day when you can play baseball."

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyA View Post
    I think this is the 3rd year they have done this. I like it.
    Why do you like it?

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee-1 View Post
    Why do you like it?
    Because, for example:
    Suppose hypothetically the Yankees and Oakland had been going down to the wire on the last day for playoff position.
    In the old system, Yankees playing at 1:00 in Boston, Oakland playing at 4:00 on the west coast
    Yankees game could be over and Oakland's game could then be meaningless and uninteresting.
    OR, Yankees could have to wait until Oakland's game ended to know what they are doing the next day.

This new way, nobody has that situation and everyone is playing at the same time. That's why MLB did it that way.
    "Any day is a good day when you can play baseball."

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyA View Post
    Because, for example:
    Suppose hypothetically the Yankees and Oakland had been going down to the wire on the last day for playoff position.
    In the old system, Yankees playing at 1:00 in Boston, Oakland playing at 4:00 on the west coast
    Yankees game could be over and Oakland's game could then be meaningless and uninteresting.
    OR, Yankees could have to wait until Oakland's game ended to know what they are doing the next day.

This new way, nobody has that situation and everyone is playing at the same time. That's why MLB did it that way.
    More to the point: If the Yankees game is over, Oakland's strategy can change. If they need one more win, they go all out and use their best players. If it's a meaningless game, they can rest everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    More to the point: If the Yankees game is over, Oakland's strategy can change. If they need one more win, they go all out and use their best players. If it's a meaningless game, they can rest everybody.

It's this reason more than anything.. It avoids giving a team with a later start time an advantage..

If two teams both have big games on last day, the team that plays first then plays it like it's at least a regular season game, if not with even more urgency. They may push their best starter, or go nuts with their bullpen. Maybe they work their closer and big setup guys 2-3 innings each. In short they play it do or die. If the die is then cast by the time the second team plays, they can coast.. Suddenly, just because of game start times, the wild card game has a huge advantage swing, one team is going with a rested full deck, while the other has burned their best starter and taxed their bullpen. Huge advantage to rested team..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

The idea came out of the crazy end to the season the year the Sox collapsed when four games ended in wild fashion. I like it.

NYYF Legend

The Yankees don't play tomorrow. There is no start time.
    Do not fear, all we want to do is talk.

Only words, and then your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    The Yankees don't play tomorrow. There is no start time.
    My understanding is that tomorrow's start time is midnight.

Thread Information