+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Get Jeter/Posada for the first pitch

It's probably impossible because of his still new role with Miami, but how great would it be to have Jeter throw (flip while running off the field) out the first pitch of the WC game to Posada? This quote is from 2014, 13 years after it happened, so traumatic for that organization:

"the A's have opted to skip past the flip play when they roll their own video tribute to Jeter on Sunday. As A's vice president of sales and marketing Jim Leahey told the San Francisco Chronicle, the Coliseum video has "conspicuously eliminated all references to that play.""

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/news/fli...eer/c-79619840

Make this happen, people.

NYYF Legend

Re: Get Jeter/Posada for the first pitch

I've come to the conclusion that Jeter is basically never going to show up for anything Yankees related. No first pitch, no Old Timers Day, no ceremonies....If he didn't come to the stadium to sit in the owners box and watch his own team play against the Yankees then he isn't coming for anything else.
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

That would be quite something, lol

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that Jeter is basically never going to show up for anything Yankees related. No first pitch, no Old Timers Day, no ceremonies....If he didn't come to the stadium to sit in the owners box and watch his own team play against the Yankees then he isn't coming for anything else.
    I do think he will come back in the future, but to make an appearance in his first year of owning/running the Marlins seemed appropriate. He had a legitimate reason for not attending the 1998 celebration, but I could see him at the 2000 celebration in 2020.

I seriously hope he comes to an OTD at least once - what I want to see is him getting announced and into the batters box, then Marino sprints out of the pen (okay, dugout) to pitch to him. My over/under on shattered bats is three.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Designated for Assignment

Jeter will never set foot in Yankee Stadium as long as:

1. he’s involved with the Marlins;
    2. Cashman is running the team.

He’s still butthurt over Cashman not giving him a blank check when negotiating his final 3-year Yankee contract during the winter of 2010-11 and will likely carry a petty grudge until the day he dies. That’s just who he is.

I’m sure I’m in the minority, but it’s my opinion that the post-2003 Derek Jeter was a self-absorbed diva compared to the young, hard-nosed catalyst that he was for those great dynasty teams.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Iím sure Iím in the minority, but itís my opinion that the post-2003 Derek Jeter was a self-absorbed diva compared to the young, hard-nosed catalyst that he was for those great dynasty teams.
    I 100% agree with this. Jeter is not one of my favorite yankees. My top 10 favorite list of yankee players I have personally watched (I'm 40) does not include him.

NYYF Legend

It would be great to see Joe Girardi and Joe Torre throwing out the first ball.😀😀🤗

NYYF Legend

Since Jeter is no longer a Yankee... let's get Jeremy Giambi to throw out the first pitch.
    Do not fear, all we want to do is talk.

Only words, and then your thoughts.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Since Jeter is no longer a Yankee... let's get Jeremy Giambi to throw out the first pitch.
    That would be funny. Funnier would be for Oakland to have him throw the first pitch in game 3.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Jeter will never set foot in Yankee Stadium as long as:

1. heís involved with the Marlins;
    2. Cashman is running the team.

Heís still butthurt over Cashman not giving him a blank check when negotiating his final 3-year Yankee contract during the winter of 2010-11 and will likely carry a petty grudge until the day he dies. Thatís just who he is.

Iím sure Iím in the minority, but itís my opinion that the post-2003 Derek Jeter was a self-absorbed diva compared to the young, hard-nosed catalyst that he was for those great dynasty teams.

couldn't agree more
    Listen to the bell Grossbard, it tolls for thee.

NYYF Legend

Let's dispense with any pregame ceremonies and just play ball

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post

Andy
    I like the cut of your jib.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Andy
    I'm with you Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I like the cut of your jib.
    Agreed, and that saying is one of my wife's favorite sayings.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I'm with you Andy.

Agreed, and that saying is one of my wife's favorite sayings.

Your wife is one smart lady. She sounds as if she cuts right to the core

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Bernie's doing the honors. Hopefully no one finds it too big a distraction from the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post

Bernie's doing the honors. Hopefully no one finds it too big a distraction from the game.
    Great choice.

I was actually gonna suggest this the other day, but got distracted before I could post it and later forgot about it.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

NYYF Legend

That's not a distraction. It has been a tradition to have someone throw out a first pitch. The suggestion made by this post would have been a sideshow.

Andy

NYYF Legend

Your wife is one smart lady. She sounds as if she cuts right to the core

Andy
    That she is, that she does. She's far smarter than her dumb husband.

That's not a distraction. It has been a tradition to have someone throw out a first pitch. The suggestion made by this post would have been a sideshow.
    And a fine tradition it is, though one which does fall outside the confines of just playing ball. As a big fan of Bernie's, I'm glad to hear that choosing him managed to walk the fine line between tradition and sideshow.

NYYF Legend

And a fine tradition it is, though one which does fall outside the confines of just playing ball. As a big fan of Bernie's, I'm glad to hear that choosing him managed to walk the fine line between tradition and sideshow.

I do not think that the line between tradition and sideshow is a fine line unless you consider having RoseAnn Barr sign the National Anthem while scratching her crotch.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    It would be great to see Joe Girardi and Joe Torre throwing out the first ball.😀😀🤗
    It was so odd listening to Girardi talk to mike f on the fran yesterday. It was like he was a divorced husband talking about his ex wife.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks1026 View Post
    It was so odd listening to Girardi talk to mike f on the fran yesterday. It was like he was a divorced husband talking about his ex wife.

I am sure that is pretty much how he feels. A consolation prize is another job with either the Cubs or a Florida team.

Andy

I am sure that is pretty much how he feels. A consolation prize is another job with either the Cubs or a Florida team.

Andy
    I believe the Cubs came out and said Maddon will coach in 2019. A Girardi jeter reunion would be interesting.

NYYF Legend

Aaron Boone should throw out the first pitch on Monday.

Devoted Member

Hopefully they also allow him to play his acoustic Take me out to the Ballpark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxqo3EmR4Sg

Thread Information