+ Reply to Thread

Happy 50th Birthday, Bernie Williams!

Today, September 13th, is Bernie's 50th birthday. Happy Birthday, Bernie!

Since retiring from baseball, Bernie is distinguishing himself as a very talented jazz guitarist. Check out his website, http://www.bernie51.com/ for upcoming area appearances!

Devoted Member

Re: Happy 50th Birthday, Bernie Williams!

Quote Originally Posted by njyankeesfan View Post
    Today, September 13th, is Bernie's 50th birthday. Happy Birthday, Bernie!

Since retiring from baseball, Bernie is distinguishing himself as a very talented jazz guitarist. Check out his website, http://www.bernie51.com/ for upcoming area appearances!
    He is doing a Q&A with Brandon Steiner at the Stadium on Sept 20th

Thanks for the info, YankeeJimBeam.

Here's a great, soulful rendition of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxqo3EmR4Sg

YankeeJimBeam, do you have any link to the Steiner event on 9/20, with further information? Tried to find it online but no success; thanks!

Devoted Member

YankeeJimBeam, do you have any link to the Steiner event on 9/20, with further information? Tried to find it online but no success; thanks!
    It was available thru Yankeelegacyclubrewards

Bernie playing guitar doesn't do much for me. Bernie playing baseball - through 2002, anyway - was remarkable. Over the course of 7 years, 1996-2002, Bernie was the best player on a powerhouse team. Not the best every single year, but clearly the best over the whole span, and without even one down year. OPS+ ranged from 131-160, WRC+ from 132-158, WAR from 3.9 - 5.1 (Fangraphs) or 4.0 - 5.4 (b-r). He was one helluva ballplayer.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Bernie playing guitar doesn't do much for me. Bernie playing baseball - through 2002, anyway - was remarkable. Over the course of 7 years, 1996-2002, Bernie was the best player on a powerhouse team. Not the best every single year, but clearly the best over the whole span, and without even one down year. OPS+ ranged from 131-160, WRC+ from 132-158, WAR from 3.9 - 5.1 (Fangraphs) or 4.0 - 5.4 (b-r). He was one helluva ballplayer.
    He sure was. I think he was a bit underappreciated on those teams in retrospect. He's left out of the "Core 4" but was just as important to the success of those teams as those guys.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

NYYF Legend

I feel old.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeJimBeam View Post
    It was available thru Yankeelegacyclubrewards

Thanks, YankeeJimBeam!

-tz, I hear you! Watching clips of the "dynasty" teams, everyone looks so YOUNG, lol. Surely I didn't get that much older, too? (lol)

I have seen Bernie perform a couple of times now, and he is truly a serious student of music, and he is a quite talented Latin Jazz guitarist. If you like a broad variety of music, you might enjoy seeing Bernie in a whole new endeavor.

Happy 50th to Bernie! Grew up watching Bernie and the dynasty teams, he's my favorite Yankee ever.

Finally got a chance to check out the monument and plaque for him at Monument Park a few weeks ago. Glad to see him enjoying his next chapter in music.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    In the 1998-99 time window I was living in North Carolina and loved to poke the bear by telling people down there that Bernie Williams was a better hitter overall than Ken Griffey Jr. (not that North Carolinians have a special connection to Griffey, they just didn't know Bernie very well). I may not have been precisely right but by some SABR-measures Bernie was right there with Griffey in those years.

Anecdote: He almost ran me over once in 1989. He was playing for the AA Albany-Colonie Yankees at Heritage Park (ye olde dump, torn down now). The stadium was such a piece of junk that after pregame practice, the players had to run through the right field plaza where fans could stand to get to the locker room. Here came the A-C Yankees and I'm wandering aimlessly with a beverage and here comes Bernie (yes, I knew him, he was THE Yankees celebrity prospect in 1989). We saw each other at the last minute and he went thataway and I went thisaway and we did not collide. God, I always get a Ray Bradbury butterfly feeling from that memory (Alternate universe: "Aimless drunk idiot fan collides with future star in pregame, he tears up his knee, never reaches potential.") So you see, my footwork in 1989 contributed to the dynasty. Revere me.

I would not rush out to buy his albums or see him in concert but he is no joke on gee-tar, and Paul McCartney is among his fans.

Edit: By the way, he's still officially active. Never announced his retirement.

HelloNewman, thanks for sharing your great story!

Just one correction---Bernie actually has retired (finally!), in April 2015. See the article at the link: https://www.mlb.com/news/bernie-will...es/c-120295846

Interestingly, the time frame for being on the Hall of Fame ballot began after he played his last MLB game, so he dropped from the ballot after a couple of years; his retirement didn't affect the timeline for HOF consideration.

NYYF Legend

Just one correction---Bernie actually has retired (finally!), in April 2015. See the article at the link: https://www.mlb.com/news/bernie-will...es/c-120295846

Thanks, I missed that. So he retired a Staten Island Yankee

Part of the reason he didn't report to Spring Training in 2007 was because he wasn't guaranteed a major league contract. So it's ironic that he retired from the Staten Island Yankees. I think that step was necessary to trigger whatever retirement benefits would be available from MLB.

I think he also did the right thing by giving himself the time to make sure he was ready to walk away from baseball, since he was not forced to retire through injury and I suspect that he would have been able to play somewhere had he wanted to.

Devoted Member

From last night. Sorry for some reason could not rotate image
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeJimBeam View Post
    From last night. Sorry for some reason could not rotate image

Thanks, YankeeJimBeam. How long was the Q&A? What did he talk about, generally? Any other highlights of the event? How many people attended? (I finally discovered the Legacy Rewards web site, found out I have 40,000 or so points (who knew? lol), but I'm guessing this event was offered a while ago and filled up, as it was no longer listed when I checked. Will have to go on the web site more often and see what's there! Hope you enjoyed the event!

Devoted Member

Thanks, YankeeJimBeam. How long was the Q&A? What did he talk about, generally? Any other highlights of the event? How many people attended? (I finally discovered the Legacy Rewards web site, found out I have 40,000 or so points (who knew? lol), but I'm guessing this event was offered a while ago and filled up, as it was no longer listed when I checked. Will have to go on the web site more often and see what's there! Hope you enjoyed the event!
    The event lasted about 45 min with about 100 in attendance. Half Q&A with Brendon Steiner and half from audience (it was videoed and I think is on Steiner Sports facebook page). discussed

Music (including jamming with Paul ONeil)

Not taking up switch hitting until second year in Yanks organization

Contrary to myth did not wear 51 as a tribute to Puerto Rico. Instead it was assigned to him. Was offered number 6 at one point but passed on opportunity

Flattered that he is in discussions with Core Fore

Jamming with musicians. they liked he was an athlete and he liked being able to jam with them including Bonnie Raitt, Elvis Costello and the son of David Brubeck.

Overall a very talented, articulate and engaging speaker.

YankeeJimBeam, thanks for the summary! Sounds like it was a fun event!

Did he perform during the 7th inning stretch? I thought since he was there, maybe that was part of the plan. His rendition of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" would have been a memorable addition!

Thread Information