+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 154
  1. #76
    Administrator Bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    The Boonies

    Re: Arizona senator John McCain has died

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    The flag over the White House was at half-staff yesterday, when Trump wasn’t there. Today, he’s back.

    Two days is required, but someone of McCain's stature should have extended half-staff at least through the date of services. What I'd like to say about Trump's decision here would surely break our Community Standards of which I helped to script.
    Let the kids play.

  2. #77
    Get Off My Lawn. Maynerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs

    Re: Arizona senator John McCain has died

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Which is why he will never be respected as a person. Shows how pathetic and spiteful he is.
    First, do you honestly think Trump talked to whoever raises the flag over the White House? Do you even think POTUS knows who that is?

    Second, the US Flag Code state that the US Flag will be flown at half-mast following the death of a member of Congress on the day of the death and the next day.

    I don't like Trump. I'm aghast at how he handled McCain's death. But, the flag over the White House is NOT an example of how pathetic and spiteful he is.

    "But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

  3. #78
    Administrator Bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    The Boonies

    Re: Arizona senator John McCain has died

    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    First, do you honestly think Trump talked to whoever raises the flag over the White House? Do you even think POTUS knows who that is?

    Second, the US Flag Code state that the US Flag will be flown at half-mast following the death of a member of Congress on the day of the death and the next day.

    I don't like Trump. I'm aghast at how he handled McCain's death. But, the flag over the White House is NOT an example of how pathetic and spiteful he is.
    I think he was asked and consulted about it and made the decision to stick with two days. Past presidents have made decisions to extend for prominent people. We probably won't know for sure for some time.
    Let the kids play.

  4. #79
    Hope is eternal
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Arizona senator John McCain has died

    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    First, do you honestly think Trump talked to whoever raises the flag over the White House? Do you even think POTUS knows who that is?

    Second, the US Flag Code state that the US Flag will be flown at half-mast following the death of a member of Congress on the day of the death and the next day.

    I don't like Trump. I'm aghast at how he handled McCain's death. But, the flag over the White House is NOT an example of how pathetic and spiteful he is.
    Strongly disagree. If he did it it most definitely is. I also find it hard to believe he had nothing to do with it. But believe what you wish. The rest of the country is displaying the flag at half mast until the public viewing which is often done for someone like a John MCCain. Trump couldn’t wait to get it back up. pathetic and spiteful indeed.
    Trading insults is a waste of time. Persuade why someone should see your point.

  5. #80
    Hope is eternal
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Arizona senator John McCain has died

    Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    I think he was asked and consulted about it and made the decision to stick with two days. Past presidents have made decisions to extend for prominent people. We probably won't know for sure for some time.
    For sure, no, but I find of hard to believe he wasn’t, at the very least, consulted and most likely behind it.
    Trading insults is a waste of time. Persuade why someone should see your point.

  6. #81

    Re: Arizona senator John McCain has died

    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    First, do you honestly think Trump talked to whoever raises the flag over the White House? Do you even think POTUS knows who that is?

    Second, the US Flag Code state that the US Flag will be flown at half-mast following the death of a member of Congress on the day of the death and the next day.

    I don't like Trump. I'm aghast at how he handled McCain's death. But, the flag over the White House is NOT an example of how pathetic and spiteful he is.
    It is typical that a proclamation for someone of his stature be issued by the president extending the lowering of the flag until after interment. Whether the president himself was responsible or his staff doesn't really matter. It is at best ignorant and more likely petty and vindictive.
    Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing. ~Arundhati Roy

  7. #82

    Re: Arizona senator John McCain has died

    The flag is at half mast over the Capitol.
    The presidency doesn't change who you are. It reveals who you are. First Lady Michelle Obama (2015)

  8. #83
    Hope is eternal
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Arizona senator John McCain has died

    Quote Originally Posted by BRenninger View Post
    The flag is at half mast over the Capitol.
    And in states all over the country.
    Trading insults is a waste of time. Persuade why someone should see your point.

  9. #84
    Get Off My Lawn. Maynerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs

    Re: Arizona senator John McCain has died

    Quote Originally Posted by BRenninger View Post
    The flag is at half mast over the Capitol.
    If so, it's by Presidential Order.

    4USC, Section 7
    By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory.
    The only authority to lower the flag upon a dignitary's death is the President of the United States. So, if it's up in one place, and down in another, one of them is out of compliance with the Presidential directive. The US Capitol does not make its own rules.

    "But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

  10. #85
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: Arizona senator John McCain has died

    Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    Yes, point taken on that. While it can certainly easily be read that way, I like to think he meant it as a general defense of Obama, somewhat inarticulately stated, rather than an implication that Arabs can't be those things, though.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.ec4ef7171a88

    It was both the most memorable moment from John McCain’s 2008 presidential campaign and a glimpse into the future of the Republican Party and America’s angry and divisive modern-day politics.

    Played and replayed constantly since the senator’s death on Saturday at age 81, the moment seems to presage the rise of the “birther movement,” the era of “alternative facts” and the presidency of Donald Trump less than a decade later.

    At a high school about 30 miles south of Minneapolis, a blond woman in a red shirt addresses McCain, who is in the final weeks of what will be his second failed run for the White House.

    “I gotta ask you a question,” she says. “I do not believe in, I can’t trust Obama. I have read about him, and he’s not a . . . he’s an Arab.”

    “No, ma’am,” McCain replies, shaking his head and taking the microphone from her. “He’s a decent family man and citizen that I just happen to have disagreements with on fundamental issues, and that’s what this campaign is all about.”
    Granted, it was his running mate who routinely said that Obama was nothing short of a terrorist and the base ate that up, but he still did the right thing there, and was probably the last Republican to do so. Hell, even in 2011 John Boehner wouldn't fully commit to saying Obama was born in America when given the chance. I believe he said something like "it's not my job to tell the American people what to think."

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Any official statement from the WH or just that simpering, little tweet?
    The White House staff had a full statement written and ready to go and baby-man vetoed it.

  11. #86
    NYYF Legend

    JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Still under the unfinished breezeway

    Re: Arizona senator John McCain has died

    A guy dies and political arguments on NYYFans.com ensue.
    Do not fear, all we want to do is talk.

    Only words, and then your thoughts.

  12. #87
    Hope is eternal
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Arizona senator John McCain has died

    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    If so, it's by Presidential Order.

    4USC, Section 7
    The only authority to lower the flag upon a dignitary's death is the President of the United States. So, if it's up in one place, and down in another, one of them is out of compliance with the Presidential directive. The US Capitol does not make its own rules.
    So he felt it was worthy to be hung at half staff at the Capital and states throughout the country but didn’t feel it worth over the White House. Good grief.
    Trading insults is a waste of time. Persuade why someone should see your point.

  13. #88

    Re: Arizona senator John McCain has died

    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    First, do you honestly think Trump talked to whoever raises the flag over the White House? Do you even think POTUS knows who that is?

    Second, the US Flag Code state that the US Flag will be flown at half-mast following the death of a member of Congress on the day of the death and the next day.

    I don't like Trump. I'm aghast at how he handled McCain's death. But, the flag over the White House is NOT an example of how pathetic and spiteful he is.
    I don't know the protocol about how long a flag is lowered. For some reason, I would have said it's at half mast until after the internment, but I don't have evidence of that.

    But this is EXACTLY why what tone Presidents set matter. Perception is reality. If Barack Obama, on the left, or George W Bush, on the right, had been in office both knew how to handle easy situations like this. A dignified and proper tribute (coupled with the fact that neither would have mocked his capture to begin with) would set a tone and then if a flag WAS properly raised now, people wouldn't automatically assume the worst.

    But when you mock a POW who served his country and ridicule the fact that he was captured, while you yourself talk about 'easy' ways to get a purple heart, mock a gold star family because they're Muslim, and trivialize what veterans did by comparing their service to your STD situation, then, well, you deserved all criticism...even when perhaps in this specific instance you didn't do anything wrong.

  14. #89
    Get Off My Lawn. Maynerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs

    Re: Arizona senator John McCain has died

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    So he felt it was worthy to be hung at half staff at the Capital and states throughout the country but didn’t feel it worth over the White House. Good grief.
    You're not getting the point. He signed some sort of proclamation that the flag of the United States would be lowered to half mast for a certain period of time. The US Code directs two days for a Member of Congress, but POTUS has some flexibility.

    I don't know for how long the order stipulated in Senator McCain's case. But, there's no method of directing the flag to be flown at half staff at the Capitol and at full staff at the White House. So, someone is doing it wrong. Could be the Capitol. Could be the White House.

    My point is that you can't use the Capitol as the counter-argument to the flag at the White House. Because any flag flown at half staff is doing so at the direction of the President. Individual government agencies or government buildings do NOT make up their own rules.

    "But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

  15. #90
    Hope is eternal
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Arizona senator John McCain has died

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    I don't know the protocol about how long a flag is lowered. For some reason, I would have said it's at half mast until after the internment, but I don't have evidence of that.

    But this is EXACTLY why what tone Presidents set matter. Perception is reality. If Barack Obama, on the left, or George W Bush, on the right, had been in office both knew how to handle easy situations like this. A dignified and proper tribute (coupled with the fact that neither would have mocked his capture to begin with) would set a tone and then if a flag WAS properly raised now, people wouldn't automatically assume the worst.

    But when you mock a POW who served his country and ridicule the fact that he was captured, while you yourself talk about 'easy' ways to get a purple heart, mock a gold star family because they're Muslim, and trivialize what veterans did by comparing their service to your STD situation, then, well, you deserved all criticism...even when perhaps in this specific instance you didn't do anything wrong.
    This. I don’t question that he was within his right but to do it this soon (and he realizes this too) but doing it this soon signifies there is nothing out of the ordinary. The Capital and the states are recognizing him for something more. For me it isn’t just perception, there is a reason he lowered the White House flag before the rest of the country did.
    Trading insults is a waste of time. Persuade why someone should see your point.

  16. #91
    Hope is eternal
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Arizona senator John McCain has died

    Wow. Trump is rightly being blasted by Democrats and Republicans for his petty decision.
    Trading insults is a waste of time. Persuade why someone should see your point.

  17. #92
    Hope is eternal
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Arizona senator John McCain has died

    https://twitter.com/billkristol/stat...614439936?s=21

    One such tweet from that ultra liberal Bill Kristol (sarcasm).
    Trading insults is a waste of time. Persuade why someone should see your point.

  18. #93
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: Arizona senator John McCain has died

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Wow. Trump is rightly being blasted by Democrats and Republicans for his petty decision.
    The GOP is infested and should be put out of its misery.

    https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/statu...53685830623233

    John McCain favorability ratings by party via Fox News poll -->

    Democrats:
    60% favorable
    29% unfavorable

    Republicans:
    41% favorable
    48% unfavorable

  19. #94
    NYYF Cy Young

    Tyler Durden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The CT/MA Border, aka Pink Sox Territory

    Re: Arizona senator John McCain has died

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    A guy dies and political arguments on NYYFans.com ensue.
    We're the internet. It's what we do.
    Jingoism is not Patriotism

  20. #95
    Hope is eternal
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Arizona senator John McCain has died

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    The GOP is infested and should be put out of its misery.

    https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/statu...53685830623233
    Agreed. Though quite a few of the sane ones have come out with the respect warranted.
    Trading insults is a waste of time. Persuade why someone should see your point.

  21. #96
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Arizona senator John McCain has died

    For those of you keeping score at home, this will make two major funerals and a royal wedding to which the President of the United States was explicitly not invited. Is that a record?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  22. #97
    NYYF Cy Young

    Tyler Durden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The CT/MA Border, aka Pink Sox Territory

    Re: Arizona senator John McCain has died

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    The GOP is infested and should be put out of its misery.

    https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/statu...53685830623233
    I really expected those results to be inverted on both sides.

    I think that poll also shows a problem on the DNC side if 60% of Dems view favoribly a right-wing anti abortion, anti gay marriage warhawk who voted lockstep with Trump more than 80% of the time.

    Trump is a symptom of a problem both parties had a hand in creating. Clean house in both.
    Jingoism is not Patriotism

  23. #98

    Re: Arizona senator John McCain has died

    In my state (Dem. Gov) ordered all flags at half staff until McCain's internment. A quick drive around town, the USPS, VFW, SS bldg. and the VA clinic are all at half staff.
    The presidency doesn't change who you are. It reveals who you are. First Lady Michelle Obama (2015)

  24. #99
    Hope is eternal
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Arizona senator John McCain has died

    Quote Originally Posted by BRenninger View Post
    In my state (Dem. Gov) ordered all flags at half staff until McCain's internment. A quick drive around town, the USPS, VFW, SS bldg. and the VA clinic are all at half staff.
    Mine as well.
    Trading insults is a waste of time. Persuade why someone should see your point.

  25. #100

    Re: Arizona senator John McCain has died

    Via the Daily Beast, Vietnam News spoke with Colonel Trần Trọng Duyệt, the man who ran the Hỏa Lò Prison where McCain was held.

    In addition to praising McCain for his bravery and toughness as a soldier, Duyệt also gave credit to McCain for working to normalize relations between the United States and Vietnam after America’s eventual defeat in the war.

    “At that time I liked him personally for his toughness and strong
    stance,” he said. “Later on, when he became a US Senator, he and Senator John Kerry greatly contributed to promote Vietnam-U.S. relations so I was very fond of him. When I learnt about his death early this morning, I feel very sad. I would like to send condolences to his family. I think it’s the same feeling for all Vietnamese people as he has greatly contributed to the development of Vietnam-U.S. relations.”


    ###

    https://www.rawstory.com/2018/08/joh...refused-offer/
    The presidency doesn't change who you are. It reveals who you are. First Lady Michelle Obama (2015)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts