+ Reply to Thread
    R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar

Aretha Franklin, First Lady of Soul, passes at 76

Good morning. Today, we have lost a true member of music royalty. Aretha Franklin, who was honored as both the Queen of Soul and the First Lady of Soul, has left us.

R-I-P

Her appeal, the gift of her gospel-trained voice will forever be something that many have played at home, on the radio, parties, etc for approximately 50 years.

Such class, such grace, having made so many lovely songs which people just loved. A very beautiful human being indeed.

Goodbye, Aretha. May God Bless Your Soul.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Aretha Franklin; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J; Smokin' Joe

Re: Aretha Franklin, First Lady of Soul, passes at 76

Posted in the other thread:

http://www.nyyfansforum.com/showthre...=1#post8566369

Edit: Rather than just posting a link to follow, I'll just move the whole text of the post over here.

20 years or so ago VH1 ran their first Divas show, starring Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Gloria Estefan, and Shania Twain. All cute (except Celine), all wearing tight slinky dresses, and all using the same way of expressing emotion - hold the mic a little tighter, lean forward, raise an arm, sing louder, and add a little warble.

Then Aretha came on for the finale, the size of a truck and with the same graceful moves, draped in an enormous black dress. They all sang "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman," and Aretha took those poor little girls to school. Celine actually tried to match up with her, which was mostly embarrassing. Aretha showed those fashionable young stars how to sing a song, and what soul is.

Aretha's breakthrough hit was a remake of an Otis Redding song, and she left Otis in the dust. That’s amazing.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Quoted for emphasis.
    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3
    Aretha showed these fashionable young stars how to sing a song, and what soul is.
    A generational talent. RIP.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Thanks for posting this.

My own thoughts were from some legal secretary who tried singing that song and Rock Steady. All the women groaned, and said that if she doesn't have an angelic voice, to please step off stage.

The secretary sang Ok, heard quiet applause, but something less challenging would have been preferred.

I'm hearing that in 1968, Aretha was the first black woman on the cover of Time magazine. Also, around 1987, she was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, a year ahead of the Beatles.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Aretha Franklin; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J; Smokin' Joe

To be named the Queen of Soul some 45+ years ago when there were other heavy hitters is amazing. Other worthy women back then included:

Chaka Khan
    Diana Ross
    Gladys Knight
    Patti Labelle

All of the above are long-time musical Godesses.

I just heard that in 1998, Aretha filled in at the Grammys for an ailing Luciano Pavarotti, the great opera tenor. She even did great at that.

Incredible talent. I remember at the Grammys when Pavarotti was too ill to perform Aretha jumped in and sang Nessun Dorma. Brought the house down as she always did. I know she was the Queen of Soul but she had excellent piano chops. When she performed at the Kennedy Center in tribute to Carol King she again brought the house down. King went nuts because Aretha played the piano. Brought Obama to tears.

First woman to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. 1st recorded album at age 14.
    One of greatest talents and an ambassador for civil rights.
    The presidency doesn't change who you are. It reveals who you are. First Lady Michelle Obama (2015)

Rest in peace. A legend in our time. The world is poorer without her in it.
    "A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people."
    -- Declaration of Independence

I never really sat around listening to Aretha Franklin, never owned one of her albums, and in a relative sense, couldn't tell you much about her personal history or career.

And yet I felt an unexpected loss today while watching some of the coverage. Perhaps that's a mark of a truly transcendent artist.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    I never really sat around listening to Aretha Franklin, never owned one of her albums, and in a relative sense, couldn't tell you much about her personal history or career.

And yet I felt an unexpected loss today while watching some of the coverage. Perhaps that's a mark of a truly transcendent artist.
    I had a similar experience in 1994 re Miles Davis. Mom told me how great Duke Ellington and Miles were as band leaders and instrumentalists. After Miles passed, I was walking by Citicorp Center (53rd St & Lexington in Midtown).

Downstairs, looking down from big windows, was a either a church or very large meeting room. Below, I saw Jesse Jackson, Dizzy Gillespie, Max Roach. It then hit me just how important that Miles Davis was.

Back then, you could go to Tower Records by NYU on Broadway or J&R Music World by City Hall, ask one of their knowledgeable employees about albums which had important songs, or included other major artists. That's what I did.

Miles played with his best known disciple, soprano/tenor sax master John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, who followed Coltrane, and countless percussionists, pianists, bassists.

For Aretha, there were so many wonderful studio albums, and I think live albums recorded in concert. Get a good range of songs, then sit back and enjoy.

New Yorker magazine has several articles. Here's a nice one of her breaking into the San Francisco market:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cu...?mbid=nl_Daily 081618&CNDID=44231377&utm_source=Silverpop&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily 081618&utm_content=&spMailingID=14075899&spUserID=MjMzNzcyODQ3MDgxS0&spJobID=1461484072&spReportId=MTQ2MTQ4NDA3MgS2

NYYF Legend

Edit: Rather than just posting a link to follow, I'll just move the whole text of the post over here.

20 years or so ago VH1 ran their first Divas show, starring Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Gloria Estefan, and Shania Twain. All cute (except Celine), all wearing tight slinky dresses, and all using the same way of expressing emotion - hold the mic a little tighter, lean forward, raise an arm, sing louder, and add a little warble.

Then Aretha came on for the finale, the size of a truck and with the same graceful moves, draped in an enormous black dress. They all sang "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman," and Aretha took those poor little girls to school. Celine actually tried to match up with her, which was mostly embarrassing. Aretha showed those fashionable young stars how to sing a song, and what soul is.

Aretha's breakthrough hit was a remake of an Otis Redding song, and she left Otis in the dust. That’s amazing.

The post belongs here in "just Conversation" so everyone can see it. Aretha was a great lady and a great voice. I'll bet her albums will have a great surge of people buying them to remember her and that voice.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

She was one of a kind. People try to imitate her but never duplicate her.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Other then Aretha's passion for all music she graced our country with her other passion, Civil/Woman's rights:

*Queen of Soul Also Leaves A Powerful Civil Rights Legacy*

Aretha Franklin, who was born and rose to fame during the segregation era and went on to sing at the inauguration of the first black president, often used her talent, fortune and platform to inspire millions of black Americans and support the fight for racial equality.

"The earth lost a lot of music when she went home today, but the heavens rejoice. Heaven has a new lead singer for the gospel choir," said the Rev. Jesse Jackson, a longtime friend who visited her the day before her death. "She gave so much to so many people, from Dr. King, to Mandela, to Barack Obama."

Franklin, who died Thursday at 76, was a close confidante of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and a financial lifeline to the civil rights organization he co-founded, the Southern Christian Leadership Conference. The Queen of Soul's commitment to civil rights was instilled by her father, the Rev. C.L. Franklin, who also knew King and preached social justice from his pulpit at New Bethel Baptist Church in Detroit.

The church, in fact, was the first place King gave his "I Have a Dream" speech in 1963. Among those in the congregation were Aretha Franklin and Mahalia Jackson. It was Jackson who later urged the civil rights leader to "tell them about the dream, Martin" at the March on Washington, where he delivered the oration for which he is most famous....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news...acy/ar-BBM1qXJ

"Her songs were songs of the movement," Andrew Young, the former King lieutenant U.N. ambassador, said Thursday. "R-E-S-P-E-C-T. ... That's basically what we wanted. The movement was about respect."

King and Franklin were like spiritual siblings, sharing a bond rooted in their Christian faith, Young said. King would often ask Franklin to sing his favorite songs, "Amazing Grace" or "Precious Lord, Take My Hand." When King was assassinated in 1968, Franklin sang "Precious Lord" at his funeral in Atlanta.

Long after the civil rights movement ended, Franklin remained committed to social justice, helping Sharpton as he began his organization, the National Action Network, in New York. She would call Sharpton for updates on the emerging Black Lives Matter movement, asking about such cases as those of Trayvon Martin and Eric Garner.

Aretha was quite a lady.
    The presidency doesn't change who you are. It reveals who you are. First Lady Michelle Obama (2015)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BRenninger View Post
    Other then Aretha's passion for all music she graced our country with her other passion, Civil/Woman's rights:

*Queen of Soul Also Leaves A Powerful Civil Rights Legacy*

Aretha Franklin, who was born and rose to fame during the segregation era and went on to sing at the inauguration of the first black president, often used her talent, fortune and platform to inspire millions of black Americans and support the fight for racial equality.

"The earth lost a lot of music when she went home today, but the heavens rejoice. Heaven has a new lead singer for the gospel choir," said the Rev. Jesse Jackson, a longtime friend who visited her the day before her death. "She gave so much to so many people, from Dr. King, to Mandela, to Barack Obama."

Franklin, who died Thursday at 76, was a close confidante of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and a financial lifeline to the civil rights organization he co-founded, the Southern Christian Leadership Conference. The Queen of Soul's commitment to civil rights was instilled by her father, the Rev. C.L. Franklin, who also knew King and preached social justice from his pulpit at New Bethel Baptist Church in Detroit.

The church, in fact, was the first place King gave his "I Have a Dream" speech in 1963. Among those in the congregation were Aretha Franklin and Mahalia Jackson. It was Jackson who later urged the civil rights leader to "tell them about the dream, Martin" at the March on Washington, where he delivered the oration for which he is most famous....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news...acy/ar-BBM1qXJ

"Her songs were songs of the movement," Andrew Young, the former King lieutenant U.N. ambassador, said Thursday. "R-E-S-P-E-C-T. ... That's basically what we wanted. The movement was about respect."

King and Franklin were like spiritual siblings, sharing a bond rooted in their Christian faith, Young said. King would often ask Franklin to sing his favorite songs, "Amazing Grace" or "Precious Lord, Take My Hand." When King was assassinated in 1968, Franklin sang "Precious Lord" at his funeral in Atlanta.

Long after the civil rights movement ended, Franklin remained committed to social justice, helping Sharpton as he began his organization, the National Action Network, in New York. She would call Sharpton for updates on the emerging Black Lives Matter movement, asking about such cases as those of Trayvon Martin and Eric Garner.

Aretha was quite a lady.

Great post. Thanks. The only way I can improve it is to change your last word from "lady" to "human being". I wouldn't limit her greatness to gender. And I know what you meant, you didn't intend to put limits on her greatness.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Absolutely right Andy. Initially I typed "dame."

In true form, FOX News used a picture of Patti LaBelle in their Aretha obituary.

First thing I thought of when remembering her performances. What was so telling is that all those ladies were at the peak of their, and Aretha came in and just showed that there was still a sizable gap between them at their best and her. Unbelievable talent. The angels in heaven just got significantly more talented.
    Ask me about my groin pull.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

She reigned supreme on her rendition of Son of a Preacher Man. Her LP ‘Amazing Grace’ makes me want to grab a shovel and dig to prove existence of a god.

That voice.

Rest in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    In true form, FOX News used a picture of Patti LaBelle in their Aretha obituary.
    #SorryNotSorry because we’re racist pieces of sh...t.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1979 View Post
    First thing I thought of when remembering her performances. What was so telling is that all those ladies were at the peak of their, and Aretha came in and just showed that there was still a sizable gap between them at their best and her. Unbelievable talent. The angels in heaven just got significantly more talented.
    I'm glad someone else remembers that, and remembers it the same way I do. It was a jaw-dropping performance.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1979 View Post
    I'm glad someone else remembers that, and remembers it the same way I do. It was a jaw-dropping performance.
    Been a long time since I watched. But it never gets old.

https://youtu.be/rXctMw2wRCE
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    Been a long time since I watched. But it never gets old.

https://youtu.be/rXctMw2wRCE
    The cute little girls are up there singing a pop song. Aretha is singing gospel, and has the whole congregation going nuts.

Twenty years later, and Céline Dion is still embarrassing.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

She was a gift.

I think she was about 22 here.

https://youtu.be/G1p92gQTQCg

This must be what heaven will sound like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy75z0trlDk

Thank you eternally, Aretha Franklin, for being such a beautiful human being.

Thank you so much for using such a blessed voice so wisely, and always seeking new musical challenges.

Thank you for using your considerable fame to benefit others, and not just yourself.

Thank you so much for showing your love and support to your fellow black people, since you were a devoted civil rights activist.

Thank you, in a decade when most of the R&B hits were from male groups, your beloved voice gave power to other females, and created a major market for those songs.

Roberta Flack, Betty Carter, Sister Sledge, Pointer Sisters, Deniece (Niecy) Williams, Minnie Riperton, Stephanie Mills, Anita Baker, Janet Jackson, En Vogue were amongst the countless songbirds who later benefitted.

Thanks for just being a beautiful human being.

Even when your heart was in the lost and found, she beautifully emphasized with changing the pauses and octaves, how someone came in and claimed it ... when he made you a natural woman.

Thanks for your true love of music, including that someone must respect by giving you your "propers" (proper respect). You were the alpha female, insisting that whatever a man wanted, he needn't look elsewhere, you had it. But he had to give you that R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

That alone changed the approach of how many women behaved and were treated.

I grew up with 2 beautiful nieces in Brooklyn in the late '70s, and we all loved that music.

Even understanding their very differing but very warm and loving personalities was helped by Aretha's music of sisterhood and brotherhood.

The love and respect shall always be there. Thank you so much, Aretha. Thank you dearly, and God Bless everything about your Beloved Soul.

Thread Information