+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Avenatti for President

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    So, the author’s contention is that Trump was a candidate who rose to power strictly as a creation of the media. This is the kind of dangerous bloviating that gives Trump a kind of legitimacy as someone who actually won the election and ignores the role of Russian interference in the election that put him over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Yes, they need to win over independents, and they need to get their supporters to turn out in larger numbers. Yuuuuuggge numbers.
    I's only 2018. These are the elections they need to win now, and right now they're looking pretty good.

I think Trump will continue to shoot himself in the foot. His popularity may never drop below a certain number, but I'm beginning to think that number may end up being lower than we thought.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    What happens in 2018 will have a yooj effect on how the Democrats in Congress, as well as possible presidential candidates, approach the next two years.

This year there hasn’t been any real need to run directly against Trump, because he’s doing their work for them. The motivation to vote against him has been building, and every time he opens his mouth it gets stronger. Democrats have been running on issues like income/wealth inequality (higher minimum wage, undo some of the tax cuts in higher brackets), access to healthcare (Medicaid expansion, re-fortifying the ACA if not moving straight to Medicare for all), investment in public schools and infrastructure, action on climate change, voting rights, and more. They’ve got issues, they’ve got an agenda. What they don’t have is a bumper-sticker slogan, but that’s certainly not the same as running solely on "Republicans are bad."

Sure, they’re running against Republicans. They’re running against the dismantling of the EPA, the CFPB, and banking/financial regulations, against reckless foreign and trade policy, against they cynical efforts to undermine the rule of law, and so on. But in each case they’re not just tearing down, they’re talking about rebuilding what’s being torn down already.

Conor Lamb ran on issues and won. Danny O'Connor ran on issues and came within a whisker of an impossible win. Trump's protegé Kris Kobach could actually lose Kansas. The Republicans will have to pump money and resources into races that should have been completely safe.

The Democrats are doing just fine.
    Running on government programs won’t make the Democrats more appealing to key voting blocks.

Michigan is a perfect example of why the Democrats need to re-evaluate their approach. No state should have been more readily a slam dunk for the Democrats in 2016 after what Obama did to save the auto industry and what state level Republicans did to screw up something as basic as Flint’s water system. Yet Hillary lost Michigan.

Both statistical surveys and anecdotal reports on the ground from people like Michael Moore showed that despite the fact that auto industry jobs were saved, people in Michigan didn’t have hope for the future. That’s precisely where the Democrats have to find a different message and a different approach to government. As a country, we need to rejuvenate American optimism that tomorrow will be better than today, that the next generation will do better than their parents. Right now that’s lacking and voters are not convinced that Democrats have the answer.

So, the author’s contention is that Trump was a candidate who rose to power strictly as a creation of the media. This is the kind of dangerous bloviating that gives Trump a kind of legitimacy as someone who actually won the election and ignores the role of Russian interference in the election that put him over the top.
    He doesn't say that at all.
    Last edited by Texsahara; 08-17-18 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Why does he end every tweet with #BASTA? Is it an acronym?
    It means "enough" in Italian, so I'm assuming that's what it's about. Like, enough of this horse.................

Running on government programs won’t make the Democrats more appealing to key voting blocks.

Michigan is a perfect example of why the Democrats need to re-evaluate their approach. No state should have been more readily a slam dunk for the Democrats in 2016 after what Obama did to save the auto industry and what state level Republicans did to screw up something as basic as Flint’s water system. Yet Hillary lost Michigan.

Both statistical surveys and anecdotal reports on the ground from people like Michael Moore showed that despite the fact that auto industry jobs were saved, people in Michigan didn’t have hope for the future. That’s precisely where the Democrats have to find a different message and a different approach to government. As a country, we need to rejuvenate American optimism that tomorrow will be better than today, that the next generation will do better than their parents. Right now that’s lacking and voters are not convinced that Democrats have the answer.
    You think restoring Medicaid expansion and the other efforts to destroy the ACÁ administratively won’t sell? Making higher education more affordable? Increased oversight over financial institutions, increased consumer protection, action on climate change? Those things can all be contrasted with the incredible damage the Republicans have done?

Clean water in Flint is a great local issue, but you’ve rejected local issues in favor of a broad national message. But you think that moving the party more forcefully to the left and taking stands on those issues will hurt them. So is your alternative yet another stab at centrist, New Democrat mushiness? If that’s what you’re suggesting, then someone from the Hillary-Biden school should be your choice, because that’s exactly what the Democrats have been doing for the last 20+ years. It’s exactly what’s left them as a party without a coherent message oe personality.

They will get independents because Trump will lose them. What they need to do is keep their newly energized base energized in two years. They need a more progressive agenda, and they need a candidate who can sell it. That won’t be as hard as you think. The Tea Party agenda is not what people want; while infrastructure programs may be attacked as "more big government," it’s a very popular idea that can be sold easily.

Edit: You want a message? This will do.

Terry McAuliffe????
    Successful businessman, Governor of Virginia, has run successful national campaigns, Chairman of the DNC, visiting fellow at the JFK School of Government, Chairman of the National Governor's Association, has taken all the "proper" Democratic positions on all the issues, under 65. That's not a solid resume?

Plus, he's pretty clearly interested in the job.

So, yeah, Terry McCauliffe.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Successful businessman, Governor of Virginia, has run successful national campaigns, Chairman of the DNC, visiting fellow at the JFK School of Government, Chairman of the National Governor's Association, has taken all the "proper" Democratic positions on all the issues, under 65. That's not a solid resume?

Too closely tied to Hillary.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Too closely tied to Hillary.
    That could hurt him, although he chaired her 2008 campaign, and not her 2016 fiasco. What's the Statute of Limitations for getting Hillary's stench off of you (politically)?

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

That could hurt him, although he chaired her 2008 campaign, and not her 2016 fiasco. What's the Statute of Limitations for getting Hillary's stench off of you (politically)?
    You tell me. You’re far more finely attuned to that smell than I am.

But whether it’s the stench or not, if the idea is to bring vigorous new leadership to the Democratic Party, McAuliffe is very much not the guy.

He’d spend all his time during the campaign answering questions about the various scandals he’s been involved in over the years. See the linked article below, which is 2 years old so it doesn’t even include the latest lawsuit against him alleging fraud in a green-car investment scheme.

https://washingtonexaminer.com/terry...of-the-iceberg

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    It means "enough" in Italian, so I'm assuming that's what it's about. Like, enough of this horse.................
    It's what an Italian/Spanish/Latino/Brazilian parent will yell at a kid when whatever they are doing has reached the level where you are ready to throttle them. It means "STOP!!" It works in Italian, Spanish and Portuguese, so to me it is a perfect exclamation in response to the current situation. That said, I can see the lack of appeal to the Anglocentric majority out there.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    It's what an Italian/Spanish/Latino/Brazilian parent will yell at a kid when whatever they are doing has reached the level where you are ready to throttle them. It means "STOP!!" It works in Italian, Spanish and Portuguese, so to me it is a perfect exclamation in response to the current situation. That said, I can see the lack of appeal to the Anglocentric majority out there.
    I know that’s the clear meaning, but in this case I like to think there’s also a hint of "YA DUMB BASTA!"

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar

You can consider him whatever you want, but you obviously don’t know anything about him.
    If "him" = Avenatti, I would agree.

If "him" = Giuliani, then I would disagree.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Aretha Franklin; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J; Smokin' Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    If "him" = Avenatti, I would agree.

If "him" = Giuliani, then I would disagree.
    Him = Avenatti.

Sorry if I confused something.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar

Him = Avenatti.

Sorry if I confused something.
    Not a problem. I'd mentioned Rudy, Libby Pataki, Hillary Clinton and maybe a few others.

Thanks for clarifying.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Aretha Franklin; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J; Smokin' Joe

He’d spend all his time during the campaign answering questions about the various scandals he’s been involved in over the years.
    That certainly hasn't been a consideration for the Democratic Party in the past. In the very RECENT past.

- President Barack Obama

That certainly hasn't been a consideration for the Democratic Party in the past. In the very RECENT past.
    I’m talking about real scandals, not invented ones.

i'd consider him for president. His style alone is a breath of fresh air.

Worst case scenario, he can be a great advocate or speech coach for whoever's the best candidate to give fiery and inspiring speeches.

Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    I concur.

Quote Originally Posted by nyy42 View Post
    i'd consider him for president. His style alone is a breath of fresh air.

Worst case scenario, he can be a great advocate or speech coach for whoever's the best candidate to give fiery and inspiring speeches.
    2nd best case scenario; He's not a politician so for those who have lost all hope on backing politicians, he's an alternative to the norm without being a TV star.

Quote Originally Posted by mr1961 View Post
    2nd best case scenario; He's not a politician so for those who have lost all hope on backing politicians, he's an alternative to the norm without being a TV star.
    I can’t imagine that "not a politician" would still be considered desirable, but that’s just me.

The fact that Avenatti’s name has surfaced tells us a lot about the state of leadership in the Democratic Party. The country is crying out for a counterweight to Trump. Where is that person?

I campaigned in 3 states for Obama. Good and decent man, but I couldn’t have been more disappointed with his presidency. He was far too passive. The signature accomplishments of his administration were:

1. Saving the economy;
    2. Implementation of national health care;
    3. TPP;
    4. Nomination of Merrick Garland.

The problem is that all 4 needed to be sold to the American public. Relentlessly. Our current situation is a reflection on the fact that this wasn’t done. Not by Obama. Not by Clinton. And no one has emerged in the 2 years since the election as an effective spokesman for taking the country in a positive direction.

Obama had been an inspirational candidate, but he was not an inspirational president. Avenatti has shown what an effective spokesman can do for his client. He has shown a knowledge of how to work the media to the advantage of his cause. This is a critical skill in the modern world. He. Has shown backbone and an ability to stand up to the opposition. His campaign has destroyed Cohen, who will in turn destroy Trump.

I would like an experienced politician who can lead the country, who can bring us together, and who can destroy the villains who have been exploiting the USA for their own personal gain. That politician better possess the smarts and other qualities that Avenatti has shown. Unfortunately I haven’t seen that person among the experienced politicians in either party. It’s very discouraging.

NYYF Legend

The hell with nicey-nice Democrats, I love this guy:

https://twitter.com/MichaelAvenatti/...80675022827520

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    The hell with nicey-nice Democrats, I love this guy:

https://twitter.com/MichaelAvenatti/...80675022827520
    Gadflies are great to have around. They should never be put in positions of actual power.

Thread Information