+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 81
  1. #26

    Re: Avenatti for President

    Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    I was going to disagree with your assessment of yourself, but then I remembered you're a Red Sox fan.


    Itís twoo, itís twoo.

  2. #27
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: Avenatti for President

    I have to admit, seeing him debate Trump would be great TV. Maybe he'll run as a Republican and primary Trump. Who wouldn't watch Trump, Avenati and Kasich debate on TV?

  3. #28

    Re: Avenatti for President

    Iím wondering who people here think is out there who can lead the Democrats to victory. I honestly canít see anyone. A party canít base itís campaign on just telling the voters how bad the other party has been. They have to be prepared with a plan to improve peopleís lives and have a candidate who can sell it. That was the problem with Hillary.

  4. #29
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Avenatti for President

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Iím wondering who people here think is out there who can lead the Democrats to victory. I honestly canít see anyone. A party canít base itís campaign on just telling the voters how bad the other party has been. They have to be prepared with a plan to improve peopleís lives and have a candidate who can sell it. That was the problem with Hillary.
    I don't understand why you're looking at the Democratic party from the point of view of the Republican's criticisms. Right now they're running a midterm election, not a presidential election. They're running it differently in different places, because the idea is to win the House, at least. If you think that they've been running this election by just telling people how bad the Republicans are rather than proposing plans, you're just not paying attention.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  5. #30
    Get Off My Lawn. Maynerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs

    Re: Avenatti for President

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Iím wondering who people here think is out there who can lead the Democrats to victory.
    At this point prior to the 2008 election, you could likely have said the same thing. I don't think anyone had yet imagined the rise of Barack Obama. He had made one prominent speech and served a year and a half in the Senate. I'd guess that 9 out of 10 Americans couldn't have told you who he was.

    They need to go with someone energetic, under 70, well spoken. If the Democrats give us Hillary or Bernie or Warren or Biden, they're giving us four more years of Trump. To be honest, it would serve the party well to go with someone from somewhere other than NY or California. Too many voters in "flyover states" that have less and less trust in the Coastal Elites. That hurts Gillibrand and Harris.

    But the person "who can lead the Democrats to victory" may very well be someone the average Kansas voter doesn't know yet, or at least not very well.

    Booker? Bullock? Hickenlooper? Inslee? Klobuchar? McAuliffe?

    "But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

  6. #31
    R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    North Jersey somewhere

    Re: Avenatti for President

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Qualified? Iím not sure what that means.

    * * *


    Whoís the Democrat whoís shown s/he actually has the ability to lead?
    I'll just change the last word from "lead" to "win", since you can't lead if you're not in office.

    I think that both Gov Andrew Cuomo and Sen Corey Booker are a bit too in love with their voices to win. I'm not too sure how many of their supporters there are outside of the tri-state area.

    How-evah, I'll count one guy as both being capable, familiar with national politics, is nationally recognized, and has been elected and re-elected several times in his offices. Before having defeated Long Island's own Al D'Amato (aka Sen Pothole), this man was a Congressman from Brooklyn, which then went to Bill De Blasio, who you may have heard of:

    Sen Charles Schumer

    I think that Schumer at least has a chance of winning. He knows Trump and Trump knows him.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get upÖget up; Aretha Franklin; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J; Smokin' Joe

  7. #32
    Get Off My Lawn. Maynerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs

    Re: Avenatti for President

    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    I think that Schumer at least has a chance of winning.
    Not even a prayer.

    "But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

  8. #33
    Administrator Bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    The Boonies

    Re: Avenatti for President

    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    At this point prior to the 2008 election, you could likely have said the same thing. I don't think anyone had yet imagined the rise of Barack Obama. He had made one prominent speech and served a year and a half in the Senate. I'd guess that 9 out of 10 Americans couldn't have told you who he was.

    They need to go with someone energetic, under 70, well spoken. If the Democrats give us Hillary or Bernie or Warren or Biden, they're giving us four more years of Trump. To be honest, it would serve the party well to go with someone from somewhere other than NY or California. Too many voters in "flyover states" that have less and less trust in the Coastal Elites. That hurts Gillibrand and Harris.

    But the person "who can lead the Democrats to victory" may very well be someone the average Kansas voter doesn't know yet, or at least not very well.

    Booker? Bullock? Hickenlooper? Inslee? Klobuchar? McAuliffe?
    Yes, the party needs to go young and smart. Somebody that hopefully gets the message out that there are things much more important than a wall and tax cuts for the wealthy. Things like health care for everybody at affordable rates, deficit reduction, infrastructure investments and school safety, or in other words, things Trump was going to do but didn't because he's too preoccupied with what he thinks is America's business. This person needs to be impressive, have no skeletons in the closet and capture the attention of the country's youth. Most of all, this person has to convince everyone that if we don't reign in spending and continue to under tax, the future will be bleak.
    Let the kids play.

  9. #34

    Re: Avenatti for President

    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    At this point prior to the 2008 election, you could likely have said the same thing. I don't think anyone had yet imagined the rise of Barack Obama. He had made one prominent speech and served a year and a half in the Senate. I'd guess that 9 out of 10 Americans couldn't have told you who he was.

    They need to go with someone energetic, under 70, well spoken. If the Democrats give us Hillary or Bernie or Warren or Biden, they're giving us four more years of Trump. To be honest, it would serve the party well to go with someone from somewhere other than NY or California. Too many voters in "flyover states" that have less and less trust in the Coastal Elites. That hurts Gillibrand and Harris.

    But the person "who can lead the Democrats to victory" may very well be someone the average Kansas voter doesn't know yet, or at least not very well.

    Booker? Bullock? Hickenlooper? Inslee? Klobuchar? McAuliffe?
    Gillibrand? Harris?
    I am not free while any woman is unfree, even when her shackles are very different from my own.

    --Audre Lorde

  10. #35

    Re: Avenatti for President

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I don't understand why you're looking at the Democratic party from the point of view of the Republican's criticisms. Right now they're running a midterm election, not a presidential election. They're running it differently in different places, because the idea is to win the House, at least. If you think that they've been running this election by just telling people how bad the Republicans are rather than proposing plans, you're just not paying attention.
    I am paying attention, I just donít agree with your take on it.

  11. #36
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    I am paying attention, I just donít agree with your take on it.
    Whoís basing their campaign on nothing but how bad the Republicans are, without presenting an agenda?

  12. #37

    Re: Avenatti for President

    Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Yes, the party needs to go young and smart. Somebody that hopefully gets the message out that there are things much more important than a wall and tax cuts for the wealthy. Things like health care for everybody at affordable rates, deficit reduction, infrastructure investments and school safety, or in other words, things Trump was going to do but didn't because he's too preoccupied with what he thinks is America's business. This person needs to be impressive, have no skeletons in the closet and capture the attention of the country's youth. Most of all, this person has to convince everyone that if we don't reign in spending and continue to under tax, the future will be bleak.
    Agreed with everything above, but also needs to appeal to the moderates. This was Reagan's strength, as was Bill Clinton.

    The biggest problem with the 2016 election is that, to me, neither candidate represented where most of the voters were. I voted Hillary since Trump was too far right, and Hillary was closer to the middle (though not by much). Had Bernie gotten the nomination, Trump would have gotten my vote. It was really the choice of who I thought was going to do the least amount of damage.
    Ask me about my groin pull.

  13. #38
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Avenatti for President

    What happens in 2018 will have a yooj effect on how the Democrats in Congress, as well as possible presidential candidates, approach the next two years.

    This year there hasnít been any real need to run directly against Trump, because heís doing their work for them. The motivation to vote against him has been building, and every time he opens his mouth it gets stronger. Democrats have been running on issues like income/wealth inequality (higher minimum wage, undo some of the tax cuts in higher brackets), access to healthcare (Medicaid expansion, re-fortifying the ACA if not moving straight to Medicare for all), investment in public schools and infrastructure, action on climate change, voting rights, and more. Theyíve got issues, theyíve got an agenda. What they donít have is a bumper-sticker slogan, but thatís certainly not the same as running solely on "Republicans are bad."

    Sure, theyíre running against Republicans. Theyíre running against the dismantling of the EPA, the CFPB, and banking/financial regulations, against reckless foreign and trade policy, against they cynical efforts to undermine the rule of law, and so on. But in each case theyíre not just tearing down, theyíre talking about rebuilding whatís being torn down already.

    Conor Lamb ran on issues and won. Danny O'Connor ran on issues and came within a whisker of an impossible win. Trump's protegť Kris Kobach could actually lose Kansas. The Republicans will have to pump money and resources into races that should have been completely safe.

    The Democrats are doing just fine.

  14. #39
    Get Off My Lawn. Maynerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs

    Re: Avenatti for President

    Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    Gillibrand? Harris?
    I mentioned them both in my second paragraph. They will both be hurt on the national stage by the states they reside in. That may seem unjust and unfair, largely because it is, but I don't see 2020 as an opportunity for a New York Democrat or a California Democrat to lure back the blue-leaning voters in mid-America.

    "But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

  15. #40
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Avenatti for President

    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    I mentioned them both in my second paragraph. They will both be hurt on the national stage by the states they reside in. That may seem unjust and unfair, largely because it is, but I don't see 2020 as an opportunity for a New York Democrat or a California Democrat to lure back the blue-leaning voters in mid-America.
    If we have to look ahead to 2020, I donít think the Democrats should focus too much on the rural white Trump voters. They need to win back the Obama voters who didnít show up in 2016, and I think the suburbs will be key. The suburban voters, especially women, seem to be good and ready to show up to votes against Trump, and a good candidate from either coast, one who communicates well, should do just fine.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  16. #41

    Re: Avenatti for President

    Hamilton Nolan‏ @hamiltonnolan

    The degree to which the political media has failed to learn the most important lessons of 2016 can be precisely measured by the political legitimacy granted Michael Avenatti

    https://splinternews.com/the-living-...ure-1828354923
    Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing. ~Arundhati Roy

  17. #42

    Re: Avenatti for President

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Heís more qualified than Trump, and itís not close.

    Not much of an argument, is it?
    Damning with faint praise, that is.

  18. #43
    Get Off My Lawn. Maynerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs

    Re: Avenatti for President

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    They need to win back the Obama voters who didnít show up in 2016, and I think the suburbs will be key. The suburban voters, especially women, seem to be good and ready to show up to votes against Trump, and a good candidate from either coast, one who communicates well, should do just fine.
    I agree. But I think there's a certain distrust in 48 states of the NY and CA political machines, and those votes will be even more important than the suburbs. That's why I think a Terry McAuliffe or a Steve Bullock or a John Hickenlooper might fare better than a Kirsten Gillibrand or a Kamala Harris. Both are potentially terrific candidates, but both will need to overcome some distrust from voters in states more than 100 miles from an ocean.

    I have nothing to base that on. It's simply a feeling I get out here in mid-America.

    I'm impressed with Gillibrand, but 'female Senator from New York' will allow her to be portrayed as Hillary 2.0, which will (unfairly) hurt her.

    Regardless, the Democrats need to avoid putting anyone forward who was born before 1950, or the young voters will stay home once again.

    "But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

  19. #44
    R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    North Jersey somewhere

    Re: Avenatti for President

    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Not even a prayer.
    Why do you think that Chuck Schumer has no chance of winning? Too liberal? Or too much of a media whore?

    At least I believe that he is qualified, if that counts for anything.

    On the GOP side, I'd thrown in Mike Bloomberg. A real billionaire, and capable of running a municipality. This despite being an Łber liberal who is also Public Enemy #1 of the NRA.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get upÖget up; Aretha Franklin; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J; Smokin' Joe

  20. #45
    R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    North Jersey somewhere

    Re: Avenatti for President

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I don't see what Avenatti brings to the table. He seems like another narcissistic, publicity whore with no government experience. We should be able to do better than that.
    If he had successfully argued cases before the USSC, I'd at least give him some consideration. Since his platform for a client is a porn star, I don't consider his alleged candidacy any more serious than Howard Stern's when he ran for NY governor. Howard dropped out when asked for his tax returns.

    Perhaps if Rudy Giuliani had actually run against Hillary for the late Sen Daniel Patrick Moynihan's seat, I would have considered him worthy years ago.

    Instead, Rudy never declared his candidacy against Hillary, leaving then NYS First Lady Libby Pataki FURIOUS.

    I consider Avenatti to be a joke, suitable more for late night monologues than the front page of the Washington Post, NY Times or Wall St Journal.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get upÖget up; Aretha Franklin; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J; Smokin' Joe

  21. #46
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: Avenatti for President

    Why does he end every tweet with #BASTA? Is it an acronym?

  22. #47
    R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    North Jersey somewhere

    Re: Avenatti for President

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Why does he end every tweet with #BASTA? Is it an acronym?
    I found 2 answers:

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sla...ag-happen.html

    -and-

    https://www.dictionary.com/e/trendin...s-2018-4-6-13/
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get upÖget up; Aretha Franklin; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J; Smokin' Joe

  23. #48

    Re: Avenatti for President

    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    If he had successfully argued cases before the USSC, I'd at least give him some consideration. Since his platform for a client is a porn star, I don't consider his alleged candidacy any more serious than Howard Stern's when he ran for NY governor. Howard dropped out when asked for his tax returns.

    Perhaps if Rudy Giuliani had actually run against Hillary for the late Sen Daniel Patrick Moynihan's seat, I would have considered him worthy years ago.

    Instead, Rudy never declared his candidacy against Hillary, leaving then NYS First Lady Libby Pataki FURIOUS.

    I consider Avenatti to be a joke, suitable more for late night monologues than the front page of the Washington Post, NY Times or Wall St Journal.
    You can consider him whatever you want, but you obviously donít know anything about him.

  24. #49

    Re: Avenatti for President

    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    I agree. But I think there's a certain distrust in 48 states of the NY and CA political machines, and those votes will be even more important than the suburbs. That's why I think a Terry McAuliffe or a Steve Bullock or a John Hickenlooper might fare better than a Kirsten Gillibrand or a Kamala Harris. Both are potentially terrific candidates, but both will need to overcome some distrust from voters in states more than 100 miles from an ocean.

    I have nothing to base that on. It's simply a feeling I get out here in mid-America.

    I'm impressed with Gillibrand, but 'female Senator from New York' will allow her to be portrayed as Hillary 2.0, which will (unfairly) hurt her.

    Regardless, the Democrats need to avoid putting anyone forward who was born before 1950, or the young voters will stay home once again.
    Terry McAuliffe????

    Agree with your 1950 statement. I guess that rules Bernie out?

  25. #50

    Re: Avenatti for President

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    If we have to look ahead to 2020, I don’t think the Democrats should focus too much on the rural white Trump voters. They need to win back the Obama voters who didn’t show up in 2016, and I think the suburbs will be key. The suburban voters, especially women, seem to be good and ready to show up to votes against Trump, and a good candidate from either coast, one who communicates well, should do just fine.
    Yes, they need to win over independents, and they need to get their supporters to turn out in larger numbers. Yuuuuuggge numbers.
    Last edited by Bill Marsh; 08-17-18 at 12:38 AM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts