+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Re: 2018 Luke Voit Performance Thread

Voit is a FA isn’t he?

Quote Originally Posted by nyyankeefan4life View Post
    i like voit at the plate even though it was a small sample.. as for first he is a butcher with the glove...
    Voit is a future DH.
    Greg Bird's miserable 2018 left a gaping hole. The Yanks were counting on him big time as a LH bat. Voit helped. But I'd be amazed to see him starting at 1B next season. I think he can hit, and the power is legit. But his defense is rough.
    Maybe it's just me...but a Yankees team with a RH bat at first base... just doesn't seem right.
    Trade Stanton to get a LH hitting 1st baseman and shift Voit to DH.
    That'd work.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Obnoxio View Post
    Voit is a FA isn’t he?
    Yes - in 2024.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Ok
    Someone linked to a salary site that shows St Louis signed him to one year deal. I probably misunderstood what it showed.
    Thanks for correction

Released Outright

I think Voit should stay at 1b if they cant fix Bird's hitting Bird = he can't hit a lick and does not use the whole plate, pitchers already know his weakness , but the office will make a zillion excuses for his 2018 results anyway , he's the family favorite !

Knowing Voit's arm strength I think learning LF would be a perfect place for him , he was a catcher in college ( most catchers long toss somewhere 300' ) I have seen him throw across the diamond from a bad fielding throw near the rolled tarp , LF is an area where we have a weak arm strength lately , i'll bet my bottom dollar his strength is exceptional . A Lot of older Yankees moved to LF after their infield days but their hitting continued well . The price is right, his salary is just like most on this team . Save the $$$ on pitching .

The Yankee MO 2018 was as stay under the luxury tax , 2019 is time to spend it

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by keo View Post
    Voit is a future DH.
    Greg Bird's miserable 2018 left a gaping hole. The Yanks were counting on him big time as a LH bat. Voit helped. But I'd be amazed to see him starting at 1B next season. I think he can hit, and the power is legit. But his defense is rough.
    Maybe it's just me...but a Yankees team with a RH bat at first base... just doesn't seem right.
    That'd work.
    Voit defense is rough ...not

Quote Originally Posted by keo View Post
    Voit is a future DH.
    That'd work.
    His career fielding % at first base is .995.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Jmg32 View Post
    His career fielding % at first base is .995.
    His defensive WAR is -4.4 last year. I'e become a fan (I am bias to left glove and like McBroom) and my only issue is digging out the throws (mainly from Andújar). He will be sweet with improvement here. Voit seems to missed the swipe and they get an extra out. I always felt Tex was great and would like to see Tex work with him on this point. I still feel we will have competition with Bird in ST.

@RandyJMiller
    Following Following @RandyJMiller
    More
    Boone, “We’re very excited about the player we got (in Voit). No question he grabbed that job, but there’s all kinds of things that can transpire over the winter and spring training …. But he certainly has a leg up. #Yankees

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    His defensive WAR is -4.4 last year. I'e become a fan (I am bias to left glove and like McBroom) and my only issue is digging out the throws (mainly from Andújar). He will be sweet with improvement here. Voit seems to missed the swipe and they get an extra out. I always felt Tex was great and would like to see Tex work with him on this point. I still feel we will have competition with Bird in ST.
    I don't really do analytics. But if your career fielding % at a particular position is .995, then you're alright. Mattingly's was .996.

Fielding percentage is almost totally meaningless, as it ignores the balls you don't get to.

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Fielding percentage is almost totally meaningless, as it ignores the balls you don't get to.
    I dunno about all that. But, even though it's only part of the equation, if you have a fielding percentage of .995, you're doing alright.

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    @RandyJMiller
    Following Following @RandyJMiller
    More
    Boone, “We’re very excited about the player we got (in Voit). No question he grabbed that job, but there’s all kinds of things that can transpire over the winter and spring training …. But he certainly has a leg up. #Yankees
    So it safe to say Voit has a "Birdseye" view of his competition....I'll show myself out.
    Quote Originally Posted by DEADSOX
    We won, stop bitching. Bitches.
    This Administration reminds me of Reservoir Dogs...Evil white guys in suits, few roles for women and Mr. Orange lies through the whole thing.

NYYF Triple Crown

I don't really do analytics. But if your career fielding % at a particular position is .995, then you're alright. Mattingly's was .996.
    I am not into stats as much as I should but use WAR. Don't even like the defense WAR but it does give a picture if he bad. Interesting to use Mattingly as a comp. I think Voit has a long way to go. It's a nice thought. I just mentioned defense WAR as another tool and I saw 2 major errors (I think both were with BoSox) called on Andujar throws in the dirt that I felt should have been caught for the out. Voit solved a hole for me this off season so I think we are in agreement. (I think Boone used Walker at 1st as a defensive move one game but is probably wrong)

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

I dunno about all that. But, even though it's only part of the equation, if you have a fielding percentage of .995, you're doing alright.
    On balls that you played.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

NYYF Legend

Where are you getting this dWAR from? I don't think he was even in the majors long enough to get that negative a dWAR.

BBRef has his dWAR for 2018 as -0.9. In contrast, Miguel Andujar, who everyone agrees is not a defensive star, has a dWAR of -2.2.

Luke Voit has only played 66 major-league games at 1b. Any defensive stats have too much noise to tell us much.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nyyankeefan4life View Post
    i like voit at the plate even though it was a small sample.. as for first he is a butcher with the glove...
    I wonder what they say about butchers who are bad at their job? Do they say "He's a first baseman with a meat cleaver"?

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    I wonder what they say about butchers who are bad at their job? Do they say "He's a first baseman with a meat cleaver"?
    “Jesus, Lou, you Angel Hernandezed that side of beef.”

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    They give them nicknames like "Dr. Strangecleaver."

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Luke Voit has only played 66 major-league games at 1b. Any defensive stats have too much noise to tell us much.
    and that's what they said about Bird after the HR against Miller ..." 1b for the next decade "

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Where are you getting this dWAR from? I don't think he was even in the majors long enough to get that negative a dWAR.

BBRef has his dWAR for 2018 as -0.9. In contrast, Miguel Andujar, who everyone agrees is not a defensive star, has a dWAR of -2.2.
    I am wrong and thank for for the correction. Should I be using BBRef? I use FanGraphs mostly because I like this site and OBP, OPS,K%, BABIP, wRC+, and WAR. The numbers for Voit is Off 16.8 Def -4.4 WAR 2.2. I assumed the -4.4 was part of WAR which was my mistake. Both are negative but what I posted was not dWAR but some overall defensive stat (I don't know but I use). Thanks again.

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...11&position=1B

NYYF Legend

I am wrong and thank for for the correction. Should I be using BBRef? I use FanGraphs mostly because I like this site and OBP, OPS,K%, BABIP, wRC+, and WAR. The numbers for Voit is Off 16.8 Def -4.4 WAR 2.2. I assumed the -4.4 was part of WAR which was my mistake. Both are negative but what I posted was not dWAR but some overall defensive stat (I don't know but I use). Thanks again.

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...11&position=1B
    Many posters on this forum swear by fangraphs. I use BBRef because it is easy for me.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Many posters on this forum swear by fangraphs. I use BBRef because it is easy for me.
    Thanks for the reply. I am still learning stats and what they really mean. I will use the BBRef in the future for the oWAR and dWAR to avoid confusion.

Cashman made it known that Bird, Voit and perhaps Andujar will compete for the full-time 1B position come spring training time.

Thread Information