+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: July 20, 1963

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar

Re: July 20, 1963

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    Thanks for your very kind comments they mean a lot coming from you. You put me in good company comparing me to Scooter. Anyone who knows Nancy will tell you that I got the better of the deal, she is one remarkable woman. I know how fortunate I have been.

Thanks again

Andy
    Andy, my friend, I am all too happy to express those well-deserved kind words to you. Any man who can constantly make such beautiful references to his Beloved Wife deserves a lot of credit. You've done just that, showing that it's all about the Love, and I was all too happy to read this.

I've mentioned Phil Rizzuto before to you, since I believe that in his Hall of Fame speech, he rambled on to many wild cheers about his wife Cora, his love of Italian pastry, etc. It was very obvious that his long-time wife was truly the love of his life, and he was unhesitant in giving her full credit for his happiness.

I first visited this site upon hearing that there were even people there who saw Joe DiMaggio play. Both Al (Sixty One) and yourself were the elder schooled Yankee fans.

DiMaggio ended his career in 1951, and you started your Yankee fandom in 1946-1947. This meant you'd seen the end of Joe D's career, the entirety of Yogi, who I believe was your favorite Yankee, and all of Mickey's years as well.

When we met at the parking lot of the Forum Party around 2003, we spoke 1-on-1, you listened carefully to me. I said that this is a man who chooses his words wisely, is very intelligent, and has lots of love in his heart.

My focus has since shifted from your being a very, very long-time Yankee fan who's made us all proud, to your being a very beautiful human being.

Thank you very much, Andy, for being who you are. Your life has been lived very wonderfully, and you've shared this with us.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get upÖget up; Aretha Franklin; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J; Smokin' Joe

Congrats on that!
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    Andy, my friend, I am all too happy to express those well-deserved kind words to you. Any man who can constantly make such beautiful references to his Beloved Wife deserves a lot of credit. You've done just that, showing that it's all about the Love, and I was all too happy to read this.

I've mentioned Phil Rizzuto before to you, since I believe that in his Hall of Fame speech, he rambled on to many wild cheers about his wife Cora, his love of Italian pastry, etc. It was very obvious that his long-time wife was truly the love of his life, and he was unhesitant in giving her full credit for his happiness.

I first visited this site upon hearing that there were even people there who saw Joe DiMaggio play. Both Al (Sixty One) and yourself were the elder schooled Yankee fans.

DiMaggio ended his career in 1951, and you started your Yankee fandom in 1946-1947. This meant you'd seen the end of Joe D's career, the entirety of Yogi, who I believe was your favorite Yankee, and all of Mickey's years as well.

When we met at the parking lot of the Forum Party around 2003, we spoke 1-on-1, you listened carefully to me. I said that this is a man who chooses his words wisely, is very intelligent, and has lots of love in his heart.

My focus has since shifted from your being a very, very long-time Yankee fan who's made us all proud, to your being a very beautiful human being.

Thank you very much, Andy, for being who you are. Your life has been lived very wonderfully, and you've shared this with us.

You make me blush. Speaking of AL (sixty one) I haven't heard from him in a long time He lives a handful of miles from me.

In noting Phil and Cora, How can we forget Yogi and Carmen, also two devoted couples who are members of the Yankee family

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Any sage advice or wisdom you wish to bestow upon us youths to help ensure we make it?

@tyler - Sheís always right.

@Andy - congrats man, 55 is a good long run. Sounds like you both made a good choice all those years ago.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Andy, I thought this deserved a bump. Today marks 35 years that Mrs Maynerd and I have been married. That seems a long time. For you and Nancy, that must seem like child's play.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Reject Fascism

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Andy, I thought this deserved a bump. Today marks 35 years that Mrs Maynerd and I have been married. That seems a long time. For you and Nancy, that must seem like child's play.
    Happy Anniversary!
    2018: the year the USA put children in cages

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar

Maynerd, Happy Anniversary to you and Mrs Maynerd. Like Andy, I'm sure that you both are blessed.
    Last edited by Jersey Yankee; 08-15-18 at 05:33 PM. Reason: I misspelled "Mrs Maynerd"
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get upÖget up; Aretha Franklin; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J; Smokin' Joe

NYYF Legend

Congrats to you both. It's great when you can look back and see where you have been and have no regrets.

Take care

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Congrats, Andy! That's a helluva run! For my wife and I to reach that milestone we'd have to go another 40 years which would put me at 86 years old. YIKES!

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    I have been a member of this board since Jim invited me to join in Feb 2000 and before that I was a member of the old Yankee dot com board. Does anyone remember our old lawyer friend Dom from that old board?
    I remember! Amazing how long ago that was now. I have fond memories of those days.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by KayForPresident View Post
    Congrats, Andy! That's a helluva run! For my wife and I to reach that milestone we'd have to go another 40 years which would put me at 86 years old. YIKES!

I remember! Amazing how long ago that was now. I have fond memories of those days.

Good to hear from another long time member
    Andy

NYYF Legend

Sorry Iím late with this. Congrats, Andy! I havenít been on this board for awhile. I have been married for 54 years...two sons and four grandchildren. It must be the area we live in...Branchburg and Raritan.😀😀👍 keep writing your responses on this board . I have always respected them and often share the same views.
    Al

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    Sorry Iím late with this. Congrats, Andy! I havenít been on this board for awhile. I have been married for 54 years...two sons and four grandchildren. It must be the area we live in...Branchburg and Raritan.😀😀👍 keep writing your responses on this board . I have always respected them and often share the same views.
    Al

We missed you and your sage inputs. Don't be a stranger here

Andy

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post

Sorry I havenít been posting lately. I had a busy summer with a long trip to Alaska....great adventure! My wife and I celebrated our 54th wedding anniversary on June 21th with family and friends....Andy has me beat by one year.😄😃

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    Sorry I havenít been posting lately. I had a busy summer with a long trip to Alaska....great adventure! My wife and I celebrated our 54th wedding anniversary on June 21th with family and friends....Andy has me beat by one year.😄😃

I know you had a great time in Alaska. It is my favorite place in the world.

Andy

Thread Information