+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

Being on Both Sides of a No-Hitter in One Year

The Philadelphia Athletics' Bill McCahan pitched a complete game loss (although the bottom of the ninth wasn't necessary) when Cleveland's Don Black pitched a no-hitter on July 10, 1947 in Game 1 of a doubleheader. On September 3, 1947, McCahan pitched a no-hitter against Washington. Does anybody know of another pitcher who pitched a no-hitter and started a game his team got no-hit in one year?

NYYF Legend

Re: Being on Both Sides of a No-Hitter in One Year

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    The Philadelphia Athletics' Bill McCahan pitched a complete game loss (although the bottom of the ninth wasn't necessary) when Cleveland's Don Black pitched a no-hitter on July 10, 1947 in Game 1 of a doubleheader. On September 3, 1947, McCahan pitched a no-hitter against Washington. Does anybody know of another pitcher who pitched a no-hitter and started a game his team got no-hit in one year?
    I have found one so far. On April 14, 1917, Ed Cicotte of the Chicago White Sox no-hit the St. Louis Browns. On May 5, 1917, Cicotte was the starting and losing pitcher when Ernie Koob of the Browns no-hit the White Sox.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...91704140.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...91705050.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    I have found one so far. On April 14, 1917, Ed Cicotte of the Chicago White Sox no-hit the St. Louis Browns. On May 5, 1917, Cicotte was the starting and losing pitcher when Ernie Koob of the Browns no-hit the White Sox.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...91704140.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...91705050.shtml
    So Cicotte is the only pitcher to have been involved on both sides of no-hitters and to have been portrayed by David Strathairn in a movie?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    So Cicotte is the only pitcher to have been involved on both sides of no-hitters and to have been portrayed by David Strathairn in a movie?
    I believe Strathairn starred in "The Bill McCahan Story," so you would be incorrect.

Here's another: on April 27, 1944, Jim Tobin of the Boston Braves no-hit the Brooklyn Dodgers. On May 15, Tobin started and lost as Clyde Shoun of the Cincinnati Reds no-hit the Braves.

And another: On July 1, 1951, Bob Feller of the Indians no-hit the Tigers. On July 12, Feller was starter and loser as Allie Reynolds of the Yankees no-hit the Indians. This was the first of Reynolds' two no-hitters that season.

NYYF Legend

This one requires a little stretching, but on Sept. 25, 1956, Sal Maglie of the Brooklyn Dodgers no-hit the Philadelphia Phillies. On October 8, he was starter and loser in Don Larsen's perfect World Series game.

Edit: On we go. On May 5, 1962, Bo Belinsky of the Los Angeles Angels of Los Angeles no-hit the Baltimore Orioles. On June 26, Belinsky was the starter and loser when the Angels were no-hit by Earl Wilson of the Boston Red Sox.

This one requires a little stretching, but on Sept. 25, 1956, Sal Maglie of the Brooklyn Dodgers no-hit the Philadelphia Phillies. On October 8, he was starter and loser in Don Larsen's perfect World Series game.

Edit: On we go. On May 5, 1962, Bo Belinsky of the Los Angeles Angels of Los Angeles no-hit the Baltimore Orioles. On June 26, Belinsky was the starter and loser when the Angels were no-hit by Earl Wilson of the Boston Red Sox.
    Strathairn would be a terrible choice to play Bo Belinsky. A young Dennis Quaid would be more like it.

NYYF Legend

July 2, 2013: Tim Lincecum is the starter and loser as the Reds' Homer Bailey no-hits the Giants. On July 13, Lincecum no-hits the Padres.

Those are all I could find since 1891. It may have happened in that year, when Tom Lovett of the Brooklyn Grooms no-hit the New York Giants on June 22. On July 31, Amos Rusie of the Giants no-hit the Grooms. Not able to tell if Rusie started on June 22 or if Lovett started on July 31. There were also possible occurrences in 1880 and 1888.

I have to say, thatís damn fine research.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I have to say, that’s damn fine research.
    Thank you, it certainly is.

Last decade, I lived in the same rural Dutchess County hamlet David Strathairn does. Nobody could ever recall seeing him. Real hermit type.

I could see 1980s Dennis Quaid as Bo. But who plays Mamie Van Doren?

Thank you, it certainly is.

Last decade, I lived in the same rural Dutchess County hamlet David Strathairn does. Nobody could ever recall seeing him. Real hermit type.

I could see 1980s Dennis Quaid as Bo. But who plays Mamie Van Doren?
    Melanie Griffith, same era?

NYYF Legend

Thank you HelloNewman.

Thread Information