+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Keto Diet

Keto Diet

Anyone here been on the Keto Diet? I'm giving it a try - need to drop about 15 and it apparently works faster than other diets.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Cy Young

Re: Keto Diet

2 of my co-workers have been doing it for a couple months.

One says he lost almost 20 lbs, the other looks pretty much the same as before.

Jingoism is not Patriotism

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Iíll hang up and listen...
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

NYYF Legend

I'd be leery about it.

There have been many low carb diets (Adkins for instance) which restrict carbs and concentrate on high levels of proteins. This causes an immediate substantial weight less because you immediately eliminate large amounts of water. these diets put you into Ketosis which burn fats and cause weight loss. But there are dangers in eating large amounts of protein. The best way is by reducing portion size, eating the right foods, reducing (not eliminating) carbs like bread and pasta, and trying to exercise more
    I'd consult a doctor before trying this fad.
    I've lost 40# over two years following the advice above.

I am now below the weight I was when I graduated College (almost 60 years ago)

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    I'd be leery about it.

There have been many low carb diets (Adkins for instance) which restrict carbs and concentrate on high levels of proteins. This causes an immediate substantial weight less because you immediately eliminate large amounts of water. these diets put you into Ketosis which burn fats and cause weight loss. But there are dangers in eating large amounts of protein. The best way is by reducing portion size, eating the right foods, reducing (not eliminating) carbs like bread and pasta, and trying to exercise more
    I'd consult a doctor before trying this fad.
    I've lost 40# over two years following the advice above.

I am now below the weight I was when I graduated College (almost 60 years ago)

Andy
    I did a lot of research before starting. The amount of information out there is staggering. Going into ketosis for short periods isn't harmful, and for long periods there is no evidence of of harm even though it's not advised. The reasons I decided to try it are most twofold: 1. Humans have only been eating high levels of carbs (breads etc.) for a short time compared to the beginning of human history, so we've evolved on high fat foods (meats), berries and nuts; and 2. up until recently we've glorified low fat diets and gave sugar a free pass, which is totally wrong, especially when you understand how your body deals with natural sugars of all kinds. So, after I've finished losing the weight I'll go back to some carbs but will stay away from the sugar altogether.

Finding food ideas will take some time but it's not as difficult as it seems. Everything in the grocery stores has carbs in it, mostly through added sugar, except for meats and most vegetables. Also trans fats are a big no-no.
    Let the kids play.

All diets work.

The key is finding one that you can sustain after you reach your goal. Keto won't hurt you short term, but might be difficult to keep up. I personally find it too restrictive on fruits, and never got over the hump to have the body convert to fats as primary fuel source. Plus, carbs aren't the evil they're made out to be - lack of exercise burning them off is.

Easiest diets I've seen to maintain:

1. Eat meat / veggie / fruits only 6 days a week, then eat anything you want one day a week.
    2. IF - eat during an 8 hr feed window, then "fast" for 16 hours.

And remember, the key to any diet is posting less here and moving around more. The opposite of that is likely contributing to some significant weight gain here.
    Hideki Matsui is capable of anything

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    All diets work.

The key is finding one that you can sustain after you reach your goal. Keto won't hurt you short term, but might be difficult to keep up. I personally find it too restrictive on fruits, and never got over the hump to have the body convert to fats as primary fuel source. Plus, carbs aren't the evil they're made out to be - lack of exercise burning them off is.

Easiest diets I've seen to maintain:

1. Eat meat / veggie / fruits only 6 days a week, then eat anything you want one day a week.

And remember, the key to any diet is posting less here and moving around more. The opposite of that is likely contributing to some significant weight gain here.
    The 8 hr feed window is something I can maintain forever, with rare exception. Fruit, in this diet, is called "nature's dessert" but I won't decrease my intake much. Blackberries are the berries of choice right now, but they're not cheap. I have apples trees on my property so once they're ready for picking I'll be having one of those a day too. As for exercise, I get plenty. I live adjacent to a national park and we hike in there as often as we can.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    The 8 hr feed window is something I can maintain forever, with rare exception. Fruit, in this diet, is called "nature's dessert" but I won't decrease my intake much. Blackberries are the berries of choice right now, but they're not cheap. I have apples trees on my property so once they're ready for picking I'll be having one of those a day too. As for exercise, I get plenty. I live adjacent to a national park and we hike in there as often as we can.

The best advice one could give is to avoid ALL processed foods. Fruits and veggies (many have carbs) are good. Nuts, salads (esp if you use vinegar and olive oil,) fish , white meats and use red meats once in a while
    Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    I'm a big fan of this.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

That's awesome about the park.

Here's a link to IF and the 8 hour window. They say it helps regulate insulin levels, but I wondered if it's just another way to maintain calories. Either way, I know many who have tried it successfully.

https://rippedbody.com/leangains-guide/
    Hideki Matsui is capable of anything

Iíve heard of it but I prefer steve gundrys diet which is to remove lectins from your diet. You should check it out
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    Iíve heard of it but I prefer steve gundrys diet which is to remove lectins from your diet. You should check it out
    Nope. I know a couple people into this and it's complete nonsense.

https://nutritionstudies.org/the-pla...md-commentary/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theskep...pplements/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...rticle/523686/
    I am not free while any woman is unfree, even when her shackles are very different from my own.

--Audre Lorde

As for keto, I know many people who've lost a lot of weight on it, but I don't know how sustainable that is. They lost it fast, sometimes what seems to me to be too fast. I know it wouldn't be sustainable for me and I also worry about the safety of it. This article discusses some dangers:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rd....t-dangers/amp/

Another good one:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2017072712089
    I am not free while any woman is unfree, even when her shackles are very different from my own.

--Audre Lorde

Youíre entitled to that opinion but myself and other family members have done it and we all feel way better. All I do is just follow the yes and no list. And there is a lot of foods you can eat
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    As for keto, I know many people who've lost a lot of weight on it, but I don't know how sustainable that is. They lost it fast, sometimes what seems to me to be too fast. I know it wouldn't be sustainable for me and I also worry about the safety of it. This article discusses some dangers:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rd....t-dangers/amp/

Another good one:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2017072712089

I agree. No diet is worth your time and effort if it cannot be sustained long term. Over my many years, I have tried a multitude of diets and I have lost plenty of weight. Unfortunately I have always gained the weight I lost plus some. At my highest weight I was 235 lbs. Far too much.

I am now down to 190 and losing. I intent to reach 175 the slow and easy way that I described earlier in this post.

Fad diets waste your time and effort. They never work in the long term. Please take my word for it.

Regards

Andy

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DizGhBRUwAAOhQR.jpg:large

I repeat don't order chicken dumplings from Chinese restaurant

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DizGhBRUwAAOhQR.jpg:large

I repeat don't order chicken dumplings from Chinese restaurant

Well it's better than using cats.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    Well it's better than using cats.

Andy
    Probably catbirds.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Probably catbirds.

That too

Andy

A couple of months into this and it's working out great. I'm never hungry! So far I'm down 10, so probably 5 more and that'll do it. I'm going to get blood work done in about a month to see what has changed as a result of the high fat diet.

It was tough to do this in the summer, but I tried out the new Corona Premier which has less than 3 grams of carbs, and it's pretty good! First one left kind of a weird after taste, but I've been putting in a decent amount of lemon or lime juice and that takes the after taste away completely.
    Let the kids play.

A couple of months into this and it's working out great. I'm never hungry! So far I'm down 10, so probably 5 more and that'll do it. I'm going to get blood work done in about a month to see what has changed as a result of the high fat diet.

It was tough to do this in the summer, but I tried out the new Corona Premier which has less than 3 grams of carbs, and it's pretty good! First one left kind of a weird after taste, but I've been putting in a decent amount of lemon or lime juice and that takes the after taste away completely.
    I love and it feel pretty good on it. Some days itís a challenge and Iíve slipped up but overall I feel much better and have more energy.

Results are in. Weight loss was just about 15 pounds over 4 months, which was my goal. Blood work showed basically no substantial changes in any category since a year ago, with sugar slightly lower and cholesterol slightly higher, although the good cholesterol went up a good amount. I'll maintain the 16 hour fast since I'm no longer hungry during that period anyway, and keep the sugars and carbs to much lower pre-diet limits.
    Let the kids play.

Thread Information