View Poll Results: Who will get more MVP vote points, Judge or Severino?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Judge

11 57.89%
  • Severino

8 42.11%
+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

Who Will Get More MVP Vote Points, Judge or Severino?

Who will get more MVP vote points, Judge or Severino?

Re: Who Will Get More MVP Vote Points, Judge or Severino?

Wait -- do the fans even vote for pitchers?
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Wait -- do the fans even vote for pitchers?
    MVP, not All-Star. It's a wee tad early to be addressing this question.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    MVP, not All-Star. It's a wee tad early to be addressing this question.
    Right, thanks.

I wouldn't have thought Aaron Judge should really be in the MVP conversation, but I looked it up and he's tied with Severino at 4.8 WAR, tops on the team. (Trout has 6.7 and deGrom leads the NL with 5.0.)
    Last edited by sweet_lou_14; 07-05-18 at 07:58 AM.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

As good as Severino is, her need to have a 2017 Scherzer type season to be considered for MVP. Iím not sure Judge is putting up MVP numbers though. It depends on his second half. Right now Trout has to be the front runner. The man is in his own tier. Heís a monster.
    In Cashman I trust.
    Players come and go, flags fly forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    As good as Severino is, her need to have a 2017 Scherzer type season to be considered for MVP. Iím not sure Judge is putting up MVP numbers though. It depends on his second half. Right now Trout has to be the front runner. The man is in his own tier. Heís a monster.
    Trout is far and away the best player in the league. For MVP, Iím looking at Judge/Betts/JD Martinez/Josť Ramirez/Lindor. Between the teams and the guys, there will be some falling back and pulling ahead. Severino unlikely to get much love.

NYYF Legend

Trout is far and away the best player in the league. For MVP, Iím looking at Judge/Betts/JD Martinez/Josť Ramirez/Lindor. Between the teams and the guys, there will be some falling back and pulling ahead. Severino unlikely to get much love.

Judge at this moment in time will not get the nod over trout, but the question is, who will get more votes, Judge or severino? As a pitcher, Sevy has a handicap in MVP voting so Judge gets my vote.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

Trout is far and away the best player in the league. For MVP, I’m looking at Judge/Betts/JD Martinez/Josť Ramirez/Lindor. Between the teams and the guys, there will be some falling back and pulling ahead. Severino unlikely to get much love.
    The ol' "valuable" conundrum. I wish it were the Most Outstanding Player but who wants to say "MOP"? Trout IMO should be MVP provided all things remain equal. Your level of contribution to the team is a constant, regardless of whether your teammates are good or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    The ol' "valuable" conundrum. I wish it were the Most Outstanding Player but who wants to say "MOP"? Trout IMO should be MVP provided all things remain equal. Your level of contribution to the team is a constant, regardless of whether your teammates are good or bad.
    Iím talking about "will," not "should."

I kind f gave up on that argument years ago. The "valuable" argument turns out to involve tortured reasoning by which you have to play for a team that wins (because they could have lost without you, so how valuable can you be?) but doesnít win by too much (because they could have won without you, so how valuable can you be?). Besides, the word "valuable" was probably picked for P.R. Purposes, because it had a nice ring. I doubt they were expecting it to require a textual originalist approach.

On the other hand, i doubt they were expecting it to rely on complex statistical analysis, either, so the WAR arguments bore me equally (never mind the issues with using WAR as a precise measurement).nnof course, it doesnít take any complex analysis to know that Trout is the best.

But itís also supposed to be fun, and whatís the fun of spending 15 years knowing in April that Mike Trout will win if he doesnít get hurt?

When it comes down to it, I canít take it as seriously as many do. We know the kind of player-season theyíre going to reward, and Iím usually OK with it. Whatever the MVP should be, thatís what it is. If one of the five guys I mentioned pulls away and wins it, Iím fine with that. I only have a problem in one of those Mo Vaughn/Juan Gonzalez/Pudge Rodriguez years, where there are a half-dozen players who are obviously better. Thatís just stupid.

NYYF Legend

Right now Trout is the MVP but Judge will get more votes than Severino. Luis would have to have a 1978 Guidry season to get a lot of MVP votes and even Guidry did not win the MVP.

Thread Information