+ Reply to Thread

Thread: September 28-30

NYYF Legend

September 28-30

So let's say it's the last weekend in September. The final 3 games of the season are vs. the Red Sox @ Fenway. Let's also say the two teams are tied after Sunday. There will then be a game on Monday to decide the division. The wildcard game would be played on Tuesday, & the ALDS would start on Wednesday. Potentially the Yanks could be playing 6 pressure-packed games in a row.

Whoever starts for the Yanks on Friday won't pitch again until Wednesday, assuming they make it to the ALDS. Monday's & Tuesday's sudden death starters (if necessary) can't pitch @ Fenway on Saturday and Sunday.

With the roster as currently constructed, name your rotation for the weekend series, then name your Monday & Tuesday starters. Remember you still have a 40-man roster for the weekend.
    Last edited by sjb23; 06-29-18 at 01:30 PM.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Re: September 28-30

I wish the tie breaker came down to season series. The teams play 18 or 19 times. Why play another game especially with a wild card
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

NYYF Legend

Severino on Sunday or Monday, depending how the first 2 games play out. If we can clinch on Sunday, Sevy gores that day. I'm OK with Tanaka or CC pitching twice in the ALDS, in this scenario.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    I wish the tie breaker came down to season series. The teams play 18 or 19 times. Why play another game especially with a wild card
    Under the old system the winner of the season series would have been declared the Division winner. Can not be done now with the second place team going to the WC playoff.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Severino on Sunday or Monday, depending how the first 2 games play out. If we can clinch on Sunday, Sevy gores that day. I'm OK with Tanaka or CC pitching twice in the ALDS, in this scenario.
    If you're holding Severino until Sunday or Monday, then someone else would have to pitch the wild card game Tuesday, if the Red Sox win the division. Who do want to give that start to? It'll probably be at home against the Mariners/James Paxton.

I think I want Severino pitching any sudden-death game that's going to be played - which would be Tuesday. Gotta get into the ALDS to have a chance for a championship.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    If you're holding Severino until Sunday or Monday, then someone else would have to pitch the wild card game Tuesday, if the Red Sox win the division. Who do want to give that start to? It'll probably be at home against the Mariners/James Paxton.

I think I want Severino pitching any sudden-death game that's going to be played - which would be Tuesday. Gotta get into the ALDS to have a chance for a championship.
    By Monday, i meant a WC game, but I would use Sevy on Sunday if it's a "win and we clinch" game.

NYYF Legend

By Monday, i meant a WC game, but I would use Sevy on Sunday if it's a "win and we clinch" game.
    Interesting take. I'm hoping that as Cashman decides what to do, these crucial dates in Sept/Oct are the reason why he needs to get another ace to go along with Severino. Because there's going to be some very crucial games that are back-to-back.

NYYF Legend

Interesting take. I'm hoping that as Cashman decides what to do, these crucial dates in Sept/Oct are the reason why he needs to get another ace to go along with Severino. Because there's going to be some very crucial games that are back-to-back.
    If we end up playing Boston in the ALDS, and Sevy was used on Sunday, 09/30, to clinch the division, I have no qualms opening the ALDS with CC. Especially if he's healthy and rested. His record against Boston the past couple of seasons is excellent.

NYYF Legend

If we end up playing Boston in the ALDS, and Sevy was used on Sunday, 09/30, to clinch the division, I have no qualms opening the ALDS with CC. Especially if he's healthy and rested. His record against Boston the past couple of seasons is excellent.
    So then you'd go with CC on Wed for ALDS Gm#1 & Tanaka on Thurs (both @ YS in this scenario) for the all-important Gm#2? Severino would be ready for Gm#3 @ Boston.

NYYF Legend

So then you'd go with CC on Wed for ALDS Gm#1 & Tanaka on Thurs (both @ YS in this scenario) for the all-important Gm#2? Severino would be ready for Gm#3 @ Boston.
    That's correct. And Sevy in Game 3, and anyone-but-Gray in Game 4, if we didn't sweep.

Thread Information