+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    I agree to your first point. There's not.

As to the second, why would Boras care? His client is still getting paid. Boras would complain if something underhanded was affecting his client's NEXT contract. Ellsbury's injuries aren't affecting his future employment near as much as his playing performance. If anything, Ellsbury looks better as a denizen of the Disabled List than he would as the Yankees' fifth outfielder (and without his contract, sixth).
    If Ellsbury is being kept on the DL fraudulently, that could definitely affect his next contact. .

NYYF Legend

Re: Do you think the yankees are commuting insurance fraud with ellsbury?

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    If Ellsbury is being kept on the DL fraudulently, that could definitely affect his next contact. .
    positively or negatively?

I honestly don't think there is any fraud. But I also think they are being "as cautious" as possible with his recovery.

It would not surprise me at all if his string of injuries lasts the whole year.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    It's been three full years since he managed an OPS+ north of 100. He'll be 37 when this albatross of a contract expires. I would contend that the biggest adverse affect to Ellsbury's NEXT contract would come from allowing him to step up to the plate. Who's going to sign a sub-par, late 30s, no power outfielder?

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

It's been three full years since he managed an OPS+ north of 100. He'll be 37 when this albatross of a contract expires. I would contend that the biggest adverse affect to Ellsbury's NEXT contract would come from allowing him to step up to the plate. Who's going to sign a sub-par, late 30s, no power outfielder?
    ...who is as fragile as glass.

His only chance to improve on that description is to show that he's got more than that left. It might be a slim chance, but otherwise his situation is exactly what you describe.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

The Mets?

Wait, does anybody really think there will be a "next contract" for Ellsbury? Three years from now I would rather sign Johnny Damon.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Thread Information