+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar

Re: 2018-19 NBA Basketball Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    I know it's pretty hard to compare eras, and the Celtics with Russell went to 10 Finals in a row, but this Warriors team has to be the most talented group in NBA history, right?
    The Splash Brother era Golden State Warriors are right up there in their own way.
    "Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

Hello basketball fans,

The United States men's national basketball team are gunning for their third straight FIBA Basketball World Cup in China from August 31 to September 15, 2019.

Here's the player pool Jerry Colangelo picked for the 2019 squad.
    https://www.usab.com/news-events/new...nouncment.aspx

Who are your 12?

Here's mine and yes Mike (dabomb2045), you can participate too.

Starting Five
    C: Andre Drummond, Detroit Pistons
    PF: LeBron James, Los Angeles Lakers
    SF: Kawhi Leonard, Toronto Raptors
    SG: DeMar DeRozan, San Antonio Spurs
    PG: Damian Lillard, Portland Trail Blazers

Bench
    C: DeAndre Jordan, New York Knicks
    PF: Draymond Green, Golden State Warriors
    SF: Jimmy Butler, Philadelphia 76ers
    SF: Paul George, Oklahoma City Thunder
    SG: C.J. McCollum, Portland Trail Blazers
    PG: Kemba Walker, Charlotte Hornets
    SF: Khris Middleton, Milwaukee Bucks

Thoughts?

For the first time in franchise history, the Toronto Raptors advance to their first NBA Finals appearance after a 100-94 win in Game 6 over the Milwaukee Bucks and win the Eastern Conference Finals series, 4-2.

The Raptors will try to derail the Golden State Warriors' chances for a three-peat starting on Thursday in Scotiabank Arena.

It is Toronto's first Big Four Pro Sports League (NBA, NHL, MLB and NFL) finals appearance since the Blue Jays won it all in 1993.

2019 NBA Finals Schedule: Toronto Raptors vs. Golden State Warriors
    http://www.nba.com/playoffs/2019/nba-finals-schedule

BB55's Pick - 2019 NBA Finals: Toronto Raptors vs. Golden State Warriors

Keys for TOR
    - Kawhi Leonard's payback on the Warriors (see Zaza Pachulia in G1 of the 2017 WCF)
    - The supporting cast led by Kyle Lowry, Marc Gasol and Pascual Siakam chip in
    - All the small things including turrnovers, fouls and offensive rebounding
    - Capitalize now

Keys for GSW
    - Strength in Numbers to ease the burden off the Splash Brothers and KD
    - All the small things including turnovers, fouls and offensive rebounding
    - Turn off the distractions including Drake and play basketball to win
    - Sizzle your way to a three-peat

Prediction: This is arguably the Golden State Warriors' opponent that they have face outside of the LeBron James-led Cleveland Cavaliers squad.

The Warriors on a high after winning six straight with Kevin Durant and DeMarcus Cousins' banged up.

But the Toronto Raptors should deserve more credit after what they've gone through to reach their first ever NBA Finals appearance in their 24-year history including three dramatic wins over the Milwaukee Bucks after trailing 2-0 in the Eastern Conference Finals.

This series is going to comedown to the little things like turnovers, fouls, offensive rebounding and composure and which depth will shine the brightest.

I think this series will last longer since both teams are relatively similar. The Raptors should give the Warriors fits in this series and they should be hungrier to win a title if Kawhi decides to leave T.O. after the season.

But the Warriors' experience especially winning games without KD and Boogie should hold the Raptors off in an amazing war.

BB55's Pick: GSW over TOR in six.

NBA Finals MVP picks
    If GSW wins: Stephen Curry
    If TOR wins: Kawhi Leonard

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post

Prediction: This is arguably the Golden State Warriors' opponent that they have face outside of the LeBron James-led Cleveland Cavaliers squad.
    Can't argue with that.

Personally I don't think either of these teams would have any chance against the 1949-50 Sheboygan Red Skins.

HelloNewman's keys to victory for Sheboygan:

- Take advantage of fact that there are no African-American players in NBA yet.
    - Take advantage of fact that there is no shot clock yet.
    - Take advantage of fact that there's no place to stay in Sheboygan in 1950 except for the Y and a couple of youth hostels
    - Hit your two-handed set shots

HelloNewman's finals MVP picks:

- If it's Golden State: Rick Barry
    - If it's Toronto: Dave Stieb
    - If it's Sheboygan: Whoever was good on Sheboygan that year.
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Can't argue with that.

Personally I don't think either of these teams would have any chance against the 1949-50 Sheboygan Red Skins.

HelloNewman's keys to victory for Sheboygan:

- Take advantage of fact that there are no African-American players in NBA yet.
    - Take advantage of fact that there is no shot clock yet.
    - Take advantage of fact that there's no place to stay in Sheboygan in 1950 except for the Y and a couple of youth hostels
    - Hit your two-handed set shots

HelloNewman's finals MVP picks:

- If it's Golden State: Rick Barry
    - If it's Toronto: Dave Stieb
    - If it's Sheboygan: Whoever was good on Sheboygan that year.
    Looks like Noble (Jorgy) Jorgensen.

Also Siakam was unreal last night.

NYYF Triple Crown

Another key for the Raptors: Make sure Drake always lets loose on Green to throw him off his game.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Looks like Noble (Jorgy) Jorgensen.
    Ah yes, good ol' Jorgy. He was a noble drone indeed, I still recall those golden afternoons watching him work out in the old Sheboygan Armory, playing one-on-one with the local teens, sharing a cigarette with them, he never turned down an autograph request, not one. What a crowd pleaser!

Jorgy, whatever court in hoops heaven you're playing H-O-R-S-E on right now, I salute you.

Kawhi Leonard? Pfffft!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Another key for the Raptors: Make sure Drake always lets loose on Green to throw him off his game.
    How did that work last night?
    I have a feeling the players will have more to do with the outcome than the spectators.
    Wednesday night at Oracle should be interesting, hopefully Klay Thompson can play and at something close to 100%. Seeming him limp off was not a comforting site for Warrior fans.

Huge game for Boogie Cousins coming back from injury, hopefully KD can go by G4 or G5.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

This is a loss for the Golden State Warriors: Kevon Looney out indefinitely with a collarbone injury
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...t-indefinitely

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    How did that work last night?
    I have a feeling the players will have more to do with the outcome than the spectators.
    Wednesday night at Oracle should be interesting, hopefully Klay Thompson can play and at something close to 100%. Seeming him limp off was not a comforting site for Warrior fans.

Huge game for Boogie Cousins coming back from injury, hopefully KD can go by G4 or G5.
    Speaking of Dubs' injuries, Kevon Looney is out indefinitely with a collarbone injury.

Steve Kerr hopes that Damian Jones will fill in well in his absence along with Andrew Bogut.

These two games inside Oracle Arena this week will be huge for both teams.

The Warriors want to hold serve at home after stealing home court from the Raptors, but the Raptors had a key road win in their last two playoff series against the 76ers in Game 4 of the ECSF and Game 5 against the Bucks in the ECF.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Well, actually it was Green who prodded Drake at the end of game # 1. That stuff is fuel for Draymond, he thrives on conflict and he plays better with it. Better to ignore anything that guy says

NYYF Legend

new controversy, Warriors part owner sitting courtside shoved Kyle Lowry during yesterday's game and was ejected,

Say what you will about Drake but he never shoved anybody during a game

As a Raptors guy, I was honestly more scared about facing the Bucks in the ECF than I was about facing GSW in the finals. I couldn't get myself to believe the Raps would overtake Giannis, but it happened.

Anyways - they're up 2-1. If you're a Raptors fan you have to feel pretty good about their chances to win it all. Game 4 will be critical for both teams. GSW has to get back into this game, but the Raptors could effectively not have to fly back to California again, if they manage to win Game 4, and then Game 5 back in Toronto. I think that'll motivate them a bit.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by armstrong View Post
    As a Raptors guy, I was honestly more scared about facing the Bucks in the ECF than I was about facing GSW in the finals. I couldn't get myself to believe the Raps would overtake Giannis, but it happened.

Anyways - they're up 2-1. If you're a Raptors fan you have to feel pretty good about their chances to win it all. Game 4 will be critical for both teams. GSW has to get back into this game, but the Raptors could effectively not have to fly back to California again, if they manage to win Game 4, and then Game 5 back in Toronto. I think that'll motivate them a bit.
    As a Warriors guy I figured any one of MIL/TOR/PHI would create some match-up problems for even a healthy Warriors lineup but liked GSW chances if everyone was good to go. Down KD, Klay, Looney and a just returning Boogie who probably doesn't have his wind I don't know if GSW can overcome that.

I'm hoping KD is back Friday and Klay doesn't reinjure the hammy right away.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by armstrong View Post

Nick Nurse turning out to be a good basketball mind. Also Raptors played GSW well with a full team in the regular season, won both games. It's a good matchup for them and the team got a ton of confidence after getting past the Bucks

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Nick Nurse turning out to be a good basketball mind. Also Raptors played GSW well with a full team in the regular season, won both games. It's a good matchup for them and the team got a ton of confidence after getting past the Bucks
    Both matchups were early and players were out on both sides so I don't take too much stock in those but yes, the Raptors length on defense matches up well with GSW as does their ability to hit 3s.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Durant out G4
    Thompson going to try and go G4
    Baseball is life;

Well, the Golden State Warriors can choose either of these two options in Game 4 on Friday.

1. Stephen Curry and company could be like the 2014 Miami Heat when LeBron, D-Wade and Chris Bosh had no answers for the San Antonio Spurs' sublime ball movement and knocking down shots and went out on a whimper in five games.

Or

2. The Dubs could be like the 2015 team that came back and win the title after trailing 2-1 after splitting the first two games and losing Game 3.

Draymond Green predicts the Warriors will win in six.
    https://www.si.com/nba/2019/06/06/dr...nals-six-games

Well, Dray was money last year when he guaranteed the Warriors will beat the Houston Rockets to win the 2018 Western Conference Finals despite the Dubs trailing 3-2.
    https://sports.yahoo.com/draymond-gr...205616557.html

Let's see if it's Book It Part 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Durant out G4
    Thompson going to try and go G4
    And Draymond Green is producing another guarantee: Warriors in six.
    https://www.si.com/nba/2019/06/06/dr...nals-six-games

NYYF Legend

Warriors owner Stevens fined $500,000 and banned from all NBA games for a year

Mark Stevens is actually an investor/minority owner under Joe Lacob and Peter Gruber.

Still, it was classless for him to push Kyle Lowry.

Lowry was just trying to save the ball from going out of bounds and where's he going to land once going out of bounds?

I don't know how many games Stevens has sat courtside, but he should know better. I also don't know if alcohol played a role.

No matter what, it's a huge blemish on Stevens where he can't remove it.

Honestly? This is NOT enough. I agree with Lebron who has been vocal about his displeasure with the lack of severity of the punishment.

It wasn't a "big" push. The problem is, fans are NOT ALLOWED to touch the players. Think about what it would've been like to be a Raptors on the court at that moment? 20 thousand people screaming at you hating your guts, everyone's emotions on super-high, one GSW fan "assaults" a Raptor (in this case, Lowry), can you see how something like that can escalate? It's a safety matter for the massively out-numbered visiting players. You can't endanger the players like that. Obviously, such a push wouldn't happen if the fan was on the sidelines as a visitor in an arena - he would only do that if he had the crowd behind him, in a home-court situation. The risk of escalation and literal harm to the opposing team may seem extreme and unlikely, but it is absolutely not something you can risk. If one person attacks a player, it could encourage the mob to attack the entire team.

This to me is deserving of a lifetime ban.

NYYF Legend

Any thoughts on why the hell Nick Nurse decided to call a timeout with a 103-97 lead, all the momentum, the ball, 3 minutes or so left and the arena going nucking futs? Free up Kawhi for one more 3 and the series is OVER. Talk about having a champ on the ropes and letting him off.

Thread Information