+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2018-19 NBA Basketball Season Thread

I can't believe they almost decided the finals on a minor illegal screen. Not that it wasn't illegal, but that happens probably 10x in a normal game and gets called 2 of them. And it came close to ending the finals

It would be like if this next fast and furious movie ended in a speeding ticket and the rock in jail overnight

Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Any thoughts on why the hell Nick Nurse decided to call a timeout with a 103-97 lead, all the momentum, the ball, 3 minutes or so left and the arena going nucking futs? Free up Kawhi for one more 3 and the series is OVER. Talk about having a champ on the ropes and letting him off.
    Well, Nick Nurse called the timeout to give the Raptors rest.
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...e-raptors-rest

It was a bad idea. That timeout also gave the Warriors a chance to regroup.
    "Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

James Harden and Anthony Davis headline Team USA's 2019 FIBA Basketball World Cup provisional roster
    https://www.espn.com/olympics/basket...rld-cup-roster

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Excuse my ignorance, but where did this Kwhai guy come from? I never heard of him before this playoff season.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but where did this Kwhai guy come from? I never heard of him before this playoff season.
    San Diego St originally. He was always defensive minded but blossemed as a scorer in 2014.
    He was finals MVP in 2014 when San Antonio beat LeBron's Heat that was kind of his coming out party.
    He's also a 2 time Defensive player of the year.
    He got hurt in the WCF 2 years ago when ZaZa Pachulia came down in his landing space. The Spurs were up 27 at that point in G1 v GSW - Kawhi didn't play again and GSW came back won that game and swept the series.
    Then last year he had one of the most mysterious quad injuries ever in the NBA that limited him to like 14 games or something and had a falling out with Spurs management and coaches forcing his trade out of San Antonio
    He's pretty much been regarded as a top 5 player give or take since his finals MVP
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    San Diego St originally. He was always defensive minded but blossemed as a scorer in 2014.
    He was finals MVP in 2014 when San Antonio beat LeBron's Heat that was kind of his coming out party.
    He's also a 2 time Defensive player of the year.
    He got hurt in the WCF 2 years ago when ZaZa Pachulia came down in his landing space. The Spurs were up 27 at that point in G1 v GSW - Kawhi didn't play again and GSW came back won that game and swept the series.
    Then last year he had one of the most mysterious quad injuries ever in the NBA that limited him to like 14 games or something and had a falling out with Spurs management and coaches forcing his trade out of San Antonio
    He's pretty much been regarded as a top 5 player give or take since his finals MVP
    I thought he was a rookie.

Yeah if you have no rooting interest, these have been fun years to watch the NBA. Loads of talent.

NYYF Legend

Kind of sucks for the Raptors, but unfortunately this finals will be remembered as the one where all the warriors got hurt primarily. Secondarily for how good Kawhi is

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Kind of sucks for the Raptors, but unfortunately this finals will be remembered as the one where all the warriors got hurt primarily. Secondarily for how good Kawhi is
    But the Dubs also had breaks with their opponents injuries in their 2015, 2017 and 2018 title runs.

In all, congratulations Toronto Raptors and their fans for overcoming their playoff demons to win it all.

I bet ruthianblast is going crazy in downtown SF right now.

As for the Dubs, they tried their best to get a three-peat, but it wasn't meant to be.

Its hard not to see it that way. We were on our way to a Game 7 until Klay went down. Losing TWO superstars? Nobody can overcome that. Its a miracle GS even stayed in the game.

Also remember Cousins was playing maybe at 50%. Dude could barely jump. GS for several minutes in the 4th had a Cook, Jerebko, Livingston, Bogut, Green lineup out there. Thats like a"2nd quarter, November game vs Suns" group.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    But the Dubs also had breaks with their opponents injuries in their 2015, 2017 and 2018 title runs.
    2015 was a lot of injuries on the Cavs, but still not to this level. This is more like if LeBron and Love and Tristan Thompson were all out, leaving Kyrie by himself (at least in Game 3 and the pivotal part of Game 6).

NYYF Legend

World's smallest violin for the poor Warriors

2015 was a lot of injuries on the Cavs, but still not to this level. This is more like if LeBron and Love and Tristan Thompson were all out, leaving Kyrie by himself (at least in Game 3 and the pivotal part of Game 6).
    Yeah but there was no Draymond Green figure on the 2015 Cavs who was still there playing and putting up a triple-double in Game 6.

I also suspect the 2015 Cavs would have liked to have Boogie, even a hobbled one.

Lebron was operating with a much thinner cast, they were starting Iman Shumpert and Matt Dellavedova (yikes!) at the end there. This Warrior team was deeper and more able to absorb injuries than that Cav team.

I take nothing away from the Raptors, not a thing. Any more than I take away from the 1978 Yankees for making up 14 games on an injury-plagued Red Sox team.
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

NYYF Legend

Injuries are part of the game. Sucks that Durant only played 12 minutes and Klay missed important parts of G2, G6 and all of G3 and that Boogie was coming back after missing 45 days. And even with that they were a missed Steph Curry jumper away from forcing G7

But holy cow Thompson tears his ACL, comes back to shoot free throws then tells Kerr “Two minutes rest I’ll be back.” Damn.

Warriors will look quite different next year.

Congrats to the Raptors on their first title.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    World's smallest violin for the poor Warriors
    Ok, tough guy talking head. Well done killing your strawman.

A ruptured Achilles and a torn ACL to 2 of the best 3 Warriors players in the middle of pivotal Finals games is going to be remembered above everything except the Kawhi trade and his performance.

I'm not a Warriors fan, and I know what has been memorable for me. It's not like 2015 Kyrie and Love injuries are not remembered as a major factor, and this was another level.

NYYF Legend

This just in, Raptors GM Masai Ujiri accused of punchinga cop in Oakland. Cell video shows it was the cop beating him up

https://newsone.com/3854281/raptors-...e-fight-video/

Sounds like AD is going to the Lakers for Ball, Ingram, Hart and three #1s, including this year’s 4th overall.
    (Wojnarowski)

Lakers and Yanks making moves at the same time...with a game on...with the US Open on...I can barely breathe

Those title starved Lakers fans sure deserve this. So many years of pain and suffering. Meanwhile, the Knicks have just repeatedly kicked me in the balls for 30+ years. Its a good life.

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Those title starved Lakers fans sure deserve this. So many years of pain and suffering. Meanwhile, the Knicks have just repeatedly kicked me in the balls for 30+ years. Its a good life.
    Ten years is a lifetime!

I enjoyed another season of talking NBA hoops with all of you.

I'll see all of you next season.

NYYF Legend

Hope the Lakers (and the Mavericks) crash and burn. AD is a stud but I'm thinking big man LeBron is going to get brittle as these years go on. Knicks what can you say just stay the course don't to anything stupid. I think that's Perry mindset

NYYF Legend

2 million people parade

Thread Information