+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 257
  1. #1
    Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tejas

    2018 Offense Performance Thread

    We haven't had one of these in a while, and it's surprising no one made one in the off season.

    I just noticed how not good Thames was in his professional career. Why is he the hitting coach anyway? He was never a good hitter. Career high of 123 OPS+. Career average of .246/.309/.485/.895. In ten years he didn't play more than 110 games in a single season.

    I guess it's not surprising virtually every (every?) hitter is performing below expectations this year. Then again, we have a very long history of having great hitters come over and turn into dead pull hitters with no average and/or hitters that can't adjust for their glaring weaknesses. Optimistic things will improve, especially certain individuals, but the long history of this trend is bothersome.

    Lazy research but here are 2017 vs 2018 vs career (less 2018) OPS+
    Sanchez: 126 vs 96 vs 138
    Walker 111 vs. 54. vs. 114
    Torres: NA
    Didi: 106 v. 118 vs. 95 (I have a feeling this will come down a lot as it's held up by his April tear)
    Andujar: NA
    Gardner: 104 vs 100 vs 100
    Hicks: 122 vs 106 vs 86
    Judge 171 vs. 161 vs. NA but technically 157 since he had 20-something games in 2017
    Stanton: 166 vs 113 vs 146
    Bird (nothign to really compare even though he played in 2015 and 2016)
    Last edited by ThePinStripes; 06-18-18 at 12:09 AM.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

  2. #2
    NYYF Triple Crown

    Vin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005

    Re: 2018 Offense Performance Thread

    On the flip side, it can be argued that there are a lot of bad players/athletes who turn out to be good/great coaches. In fact most good/great coaches, weren’t good players at all and especially not hall of famers.

  3. #3
    Yankees your 27 time WS Champs MyBoysKaosHavoK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    2112 The Temples Of Syrinx....

    Re: 2018 Offense Performance Thread

    Q- Asked about his teams execution. "I'm all for it". John McKay...

    I kind of expected Judge & Gardner to be doing what they are so far. Really no complaint from me toward them. I do kind of expect 99 to pick it up. Gardner is just getting old. I thought Andujar & Gleyber could hit which they are. Torres power though I didn't expect. Bird, El Gary, Mike Stanton, Didi I expected a lot more from. (But Bird was hurt so I'll give him some slack) Hicks is fools gold. I expected him to be mediocre....

    There is still time for improvement. I wish they would bring up Clint & Drury and get rid of Walker who is useless now....

    I don't know if its the hitting coach or not. Its not affecting Torres, Andujar or Romine although if he played more I would expect him to be exposed....
    In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King......

  4. #4
    NYYF Legend

    Snatch Catch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CA

    Re: 2018 Offense Performance Thread

    These guys have collectively been dogs for the past few weeks. The RISP bloodbath is especially frustrating.

    Most times in baseball you just have to wait it out if you believe in the talent/ability. Doesn't mean there haven't been more "shut the TV off and walk away" moments at the hands of this offense than I anticipated heading into the season.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

  5. #5
    NYYF Legend

    kan_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong

    Re: 2018 Offense Performance Thread

    Yankees are 7-6 when they dont hit a HR this season, best record in MLB

    https://twitter.com/ktsharp/status/1...772338176?s=19

  6. #6
    NYYF Legend

    Snatch Catch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CA

    Re: 2018 Offense Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Yankees are 7-6 when they dont hit a HR this season, best record in MLB

    https://twitter.com/ktsharp/status/1...772338176?s=19
    This is an incredible, perspective altering stat. Amazing.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

  7. #7

    Re: 2018 Offense Performance Thread

    I love how the season is going but Sanchez acts like he is not even trying half the time at the plate. His defense is only good when he is hitting otherwise he should be batting 8th but for some reason Boone thinks he is still a top hitting catcher. Bat him 8th like all the rest of the catchers in the league who hit 200.

  8. #8
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: 2018 Offense Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    This is an incredible, perspective altering stat. Amazing.
    Work on your trolling

    Nothing wrong with the occasional esoteric stat.

  9. #9

    Re: 2018 Offense Performance Thread

    Was kinda hoping having such a deep lineup would keep them from having such a long (~2/3 week) drought, but doesn't really work when 3/4 of their sluggers are cold.

  10. #10
    NYYF Legend

    Snatch Catch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Work on your trolling

    Nothing wrong with the occasional esoteric stat.
    I was being dead serious. It goes contrary to one of the loudest complaints about this team from fans.

  11. #11
    Devoted Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Rhode Island

    Re: 2018 Offense Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Yankees are 7-6 when they dont hit a HR this season, best record in MLB

    https://twitter.com/ktsharp/status/1...772338176?s=19
    Does anyone know where we can see this stat for all teams?

    I do find it hard to believe the best record in baseball is 1 single game above 500.

  12. #12
    NYYF Legend

    kan_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by 24Rickey View Post
    Does anyone know where we can see this stat for all teams?

    I do find it hard to believe the best record in baseball is 1 single game above 500.
    I go through individual team batting game log at Baseball Reference:

    Astros 9-11
    Red Sox 10-10
    Mariners 11-12
    Indians 6-13
    Angels 10-9

    Top 5 scoring team in AL
    Yankees, Astros, Red Sox, Indians, Angels

  13. #13
    Devoted Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Rhode Island

    Re: 2018 Offense Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    I go through individual team batting game log at Baseball Reference:

    Astros 9-11
    Red Sox 10-10
    Mariners 11-12
    Indians 6-13
    Angels 10-9

    Top 5 scoring team in AL
    Yankees, Astros, Red Sox, Indians, Angels
    Ok so there about the same as everyone else in the top 5.

  14. #14
    Booney SLURPEE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York

    Re: 2018 Offense Performance Thread

    Despite winning series, they haven't hit well in a month. The rookies are slumping now. This when the other bats suppose to pick them up..

  15. #15
    NYYF Legend

    Snatch Catch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CA

    Re: 2018 Offense Performance Thread

    Over the past 2 weeks the only thing besides the starting pitching keeping this Yankees team from going into a complete tailspin is their slugging.

    They collectively have posted .218 / .291 / .426 / .718 over the last 14 days. That's good for a 94 wRC+, or slightly below league average.

    Looking at some components separately, the .218 BA is good for 27th in the league during that time, and the .291 OBP puts them 25th. The .426 SLG ranks 10th, and a .206 ISO is 3rd overall.

    They've been absolutely dreadful at getting hits and getting on base in general over the past two weeks. Not just "bad for a good team", but legitimately one of the worst teams in the league at it.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

  16. #16
    Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tejas

    Re: 2018 Offense Performance Thread

    Judge is now the only player with OBP above .350.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

  17. #17
    NYYF Legend

    kan_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Judge is now the only player with OBP above .350.
    League average is .316.

    The Yankees .330 OBP rank second in the league, only behind the Astros.

  18. #18
    Devoted Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Rhode Island

    Re: 2018 Offense Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    League average is .316.

    The Yankees .330 OBP rank second in the league, only behind the Astros.
    Lot of at bats by guys below league average.

    Austin,Andujar,bird,sanchez,walker.

    I think only one of those guys is even over 300.

  19. #19
    NYYF Legend

    kan_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by 24Rickey View Post
    Lot of at bats by guys below league average.

    Austin,Andujar,bird,sanchez,walker.

    I think only one of those guys is even over 300.
    Yankees OBP by positions this season

    C .330 (league average .292)
    1B .282 (league average .316)
    2B .321 (league average .303)
    3B .321 (league average .327)
    SS .321 (league average .328)
    LF .356 (league average .330)
    CF .337 (league average .310)
    RF .366 (league average .322)
    DH .338 (league average .322)

  20. #20
    Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada's basement

    Re: 2018 Offense Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Yankees OBP by positions this season

    C .330 (league average .292)
    1B .282 (league average .316)
    2B .321 (league average .303)
    3B .321 (league average .327)
    SS .321 (league average .328)
    LF .356 (league average .330)
    CF .337 (league average .310)
    RF .366 (league average .322)
    DH .338 (league average .322)
    Might the following be true: the shift is helping to create a league of three-true-outcome hitters as it now dictates hitters to embrace #launchangles.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

  21. #21
    Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tejas

    Re: 2018 Offense Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Yankees OBP by positions this season

    C .330 (league average .292)
    1B .282 (league average .316)
    2B .321 (league average .303)
    3B .321 (league average .327)
    SS .321 (league average .328)
    LF .356 (league average .330)
    CF .337 (league average .310)
    RF .366 (league average .322)
    DH .338 (league average .322)
    Yeah, our OBP is .330 and league average is .316. We're supposed to be above average. That's not the point. We're not supposed to be an 82 win team- and if anything, our offense is supposed to be way stronger than our pitching.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

  22. #22
    NYYF Legend

    smckdwn989's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    58.77 Miles From The Stadium

    Re: 2018 Offense Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Yeah, our OBP is .330 and league average is .316. We're supposed to be above average. That's not the point. We're not supposed to be an 82 win team- and if anything, our offense is supposed to be way stronger than our pitching.
    The Yankees lead the league in OPS, (3rd in OBP), and are 3rd in runs scored (playing 4 less games than the two teams above them). The Yankees aren't just above average, they are a top 3 offense and haven't even hit full stride.

  23. #23
    NYYF Legend

    kan_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Yeah, our OBP is .330 and league average is .316. We're supposed to be above average. That's not the point. We're not supposed to be an 82 win team- and if anything, our offense is supposed to be way stronger than our pitching.
    They're first in run scored per game, second in OPS+.

    They're third in run allowed per game, third in ERA+.

  24. #24
    Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tejas

    Re: 2018 Offense Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    The Yankees lead the league in OPS, (3rd in OBP), and are 3rd in runs scored (playing 4 less games than the two teams above them). The Yankees aren't just above average, they are a top 3 offense and haven't even hit full stride.
    Not hitting full stride is the concern.

    And the two teams ahead of us in offense (where we are expected to be #1) are Boston and Houston- the two teams we will likely face in October. And they both have not only better ERA+ than us in the regular season, they're way ahead of us if you only look at #1-3 pitchers (October pitching).

    Offense needs to pick up.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

  25. #25
    NYYF Legend

    smckdwn989's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    58.77 Miles From The Stadium

    Re: 2018 Offense Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Not hitting full stride is the concern.

    And the two teams ahead of us in offense (where we are expected to be #1) are Boston and Houston- the two teams we will likely face in October. And they both have not only better ERA+ than us in the regular season, they're way ahead of us if you only look at #1-3 pitchers (October pitching).

    Offense needs to pick up.
    I'd argue this, but Kan_t pretty much gave you all the stats you need to see, the yankees aren't behing houston or boston in terms of runs per game or ops+.

    Severino matches up against anyone, time will tell if we make a big splash and improve the rotation but we definitely have the edge when it comes to bullpen.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts