+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    I was going to post something, but this sums up my thoughts perfectly.

Addicted Member

Re: 2018 Offense Performance Thread

My bad 26 innings and 1 run.

18 innings and 1 run of tampa but by all means someone post the season totals to try and prove a point.

The offense has not been good for some time.

Shut out by Toronto for 12 innings in a 13 inning game.

Shut out by the mets.

1 run off a pitcher with a 9 era last week.

1 run in the last 26 innings.

NYYF Cy Young

And the first time this month they did so when the opposition started their bullpen.

"Stay Thirsty my Friends"

The Yankees came in hitting .128 with runners in scoring position in their previous 15 games ÔŅĹ last in baseball. They went 1-for-8 with RISP on Saturday.

NYYF Legend

Now 7-8 When they do not hit a HR.

Glad to see there's not too many on the ledge here. The best teams from every season are always going to have a few days, or even a week, where they just plain stink at some level. Still haven't lost 3 in a row this year.
    Let the kids play.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Glad to see there's not too many on the ledge here. The best teams from every season are always going to have a few days, or even a week, where they just plain stink at some level. Still haven't lost 3 in a row this year.
    They'd get swept by any of the greatest teams in history.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    A few days...or a week.

It's been weeks.

In 3 games against tampa this week..a bad team. They had 3 games where they scored a total of 2 runs.

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    They'd get swept by any of the greatest teams in history.
    You probably won't think so after their next 9 game winning streak where they pummel the opposition and pitch lights out.
    Let the kids play.

They haven't scored in a full 9 innings against Font and Nuno. The whole concept of an opener is to pitch 1-3 innings, Font put up a goddamn quality start. These lulls are expected to happen, but the entire team sucking balls w/ RISP for such an extended stretch is killer.

And the first time this month they did so when the opposition started their bullpen.

Didn't they lose the game Font started at home as well?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nyyankeefan4life View Post
    They went 1-for-8 with RISP on Saturday.
    I'm actually surprised they had that many at bats with someone on 2nd or 3rd.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    They had leadoff doubles that didn't score in the 2nd and 3rd innings - that's 6 right there!
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

unacceptable performance today. We should crush Tampa. Tampa deserves no credit

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by LouisLitt View Post
    Didn't they lose the game Font started at home as well?
    Yes, last Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Yeah, problems hitting with RISP pretty much always turn out to be just problems with hitting.

As for 7-8 in games where they donít hit HR, isnít it great that they homered in the other 59 games? Including 4 of 7 against Houston?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Now 7-8 When they do not hit a HR.
    The Astros are 10-12.

The Red Sox are also 10-12. They're 3-12 since 15 April.

Their fans likely complain the same that their teams couldn't win games when they don't hit HR.

same.
    ďLove is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.Ē Ė Yogi Berra

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yeah, problems hitting with RISP pretty much always turn out to be just problems with hitting.

As for 7-8 in games where they donít hit HR, isnít it great that they homered in the other 59 games? Including 4 of 7 against Houston?

You are dangerously close to suggesting the team is deficient in the stat which has become the third rail of baseball analysis. I will play fool to your angel. BA is the thing that counts with RISP. OBP doesn't do it if first is vacant, a walk does not score anybody. SLG is nice, but just your measly basehit gets the job done, which is scoring the guy from second or third, so the measure of performance is rightfully BAw/RISP.

I'll go out on a limb and say that BA is one of the best predictors of BAw/RISP. So I have to ask, if BA is not important, then why is BAw/RISP also not important and not to be mentioned?

Yes, I guess I'm trolling, but I really am bemused by the disconnect here.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    I disagree with the home run thing- they just hit a lot and you're more likely to win when you hit a home run than when you don't.

But your players, for the past decade, all become dead pull hitters and stop spraying the ball around. I find it hard to believe it's a coincidence this happens over and over again. It started (as far as I remember) with Giambi and Teix. It still happens.

I don't understand how a major league player can't hit away from the shift at least half the time when a shift is on. Ground ball, fly ball, whatever. Hell, just dumb luck stats gets you there half the time (left side or right side).
    I want to reemphasis this.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    You are dangerously close to suggesting the team is deficient in the stat which has become the third rail of baseball analysis. I will play fool to your angel. BA is the thing that counts with RISP. OBP doesn't do it if first is vacant, a walk does not score anybody. SLG is nice, but just your measly basehit gets the job done, which is scoring the guy from second or third, so the measure of performance is rightfully BAw/RISP.

I'll go out on a limb and say that BA is one of the best predictors of BAw/RISP. So I have to ask, if BA is not important, then why is BAw/RISP also not important and not to be mentioned?

Yes, I guess I'm trolling, but I really am bemused by the disconnect here.
    Just as BA's importance was long overstated, I would say that its unimportance is noe overstated. It is not useful as the sole indicator of a playerís offensive ability, but since its highly correlated with bot OBP and SA, for obvious reasons, itís not without value. Overall, Iíd say that BA with RISP is closely tied to verall BA, which in turn is closely tied to overall OBP. This BA with RISP can still be seen as a subset of overall offensive production.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Just as BA's importance was long overstated, I would say that its unimportance is noe overstated. It is not useful as the sole indicator of a playerís offensive ability, but since its highly correlated with bot OBP and SA, for obvious reasons, itís not without value. Overall, Iíd say that BA with RISP is closely tied to verall BA, which in turn is closely tied to overall OBP. This BA with RISP can still be seen as a subset of overall offensive production.
    The whole OBP/SLG focus is great for individual performance, but imo throughout a team lineup in a day-to-day basis, it would be nice to have a few guy that try to get hits on the regular. Watching this team is like watching an NFL team go 5 WR and deep routes every play.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Slickman View Post
    The whole OBP/SLG focus is great for individual performance, but imo throughout a team lineup in a day-to-day basis, it would be nice to have a few guy that try to get hits on the regular. Watching this team is like watching an NFL team go 5 WR and deep routes every play.
    This is really the key, IMHO. People talk about the HR being the most efficient way to score. It's not. The most efficient way to score is the guy who got on with a single when some OTHER dude hits a home run. Also, if someone is already in scoring position, scoring him with another single is pretty darn efficient, too. It's not a case of 'too many home runs', it's too many home run HITTERS. A balanced lineup is superior, especially if you can avoid the black holes.

My other contrary view is that a $ spent on upgrading your worst hitter will always have a better return that one spent upgrading the top of the line-up.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Outside of Friday and Sunday against Boston, the offense has been dreadful for 2 months. Wake up.

Our batting average with RISP is only 14th. That’s kinda pathetic. Time to ban pre or post game meals until the average goes up. Figure out who the culprits are. We should be hitting around .300 with RISP

Thread Information