+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: 2018 Jonathan Loaisiga Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo_T View Post
    Avg spin rate (Curve + slider classifications)

1. Severino (2906 rpm)
    2. Gray (2782)
    3. Loaisiga (2672)
    4. Robertson (2627)
    5. Holder (2581)
    6. Betances (2554)
    7. German (2519)
    8. Cessa (2473)
    9. Chapman (2458)
    10. Tanaka (2397)

Avg spin rate (4-seam)

1. Robertson (2588 rpm)
    2. German (2492)
    3. Chapman (2491)
    4. Shreve (2438)
    5. Green (2431)
    6. Gray (2428)
    7. Gallegos (2426)
    8. Loaisiga (2366)
    9. Betances (2361)
    10. Severino (2358)

JL is up there with the team leaders based on last night's showing.
    Interesting numbers - especially surprised that Gray actually has a better spin rate on his curves/sliders than Robertson, whose curve has always been lethal.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

Loaisiga isn’t a big guy at 5-11, 165, but he has no shortage of arm strength, working with a fastball that can hit 98 and a plus breaking ball. His change-up isn’t quite as consistent as the curve but he projects as a starter. Although he walked four in his MLB debut his command and control where one of his best attributes in the minors and this will likely be true in the majors as well once he gets a bit more experience.

Grade-wise, the pre-season C+ made sense for a guy who was in the New York-Penn League last year but is certainly too low right now. I think he’s at least a Grade B and you can make a case for more.
    https://www.minorleagueball.com/plat...mpression=true

NYYF Legend

Don't agree about his changeup. Was just as strong if not stronger than the curveball last night.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Don't agree about his changeup. Was just as strong if not stronger than the curveball last night.
    Most of the changeups had more side-to-side movement but they were well located on or off the outside corner as well as enough fade and arm-speed to work well. He threw a couple devastating changeups that had bottom and tumble to them that show what kind of potential that pitch can have for Jonny L. Ultra impressive stuff, even with the nerve-induced walks. (And it seemed early on that he was also not getting anyhing from the ump on any pitches remotely close to the corners)

Still, his breaking ball was even better IMO. He threw some real yackers for swinging strikes that were just beautiful to watch as Rays hitters flailed at it.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/jona...pment-machine/

The pitch also featured above-average spin of 2,366 rpms, per Statcast data, and above-average lift at 9.5 inches.

While he missed with this following location, the fastball got over the swing of Wilson Ramos.

https://gfycat.com/famousdampannelid

A high-velocity, high-spin fastball? Check. A swing-and-miss breaking ball? Check. What appears to be a potentially plus changeup? Check. Plus command? That’s what Loaisiga demonstrated in the minors. That’s a very intriguing skill set and starting point. And it’s yet another out-of-nowhere success story for the Yankees, who are either having incredible luck with these types of high-upside, high-risk, low-cost arms, or Brian Cashman and company are on to something.

Yeah, we'll see as today's game is a good match up for Loaisiga as I still have some doubts about him. Not about his stuff, but whether he's ready for the majors. Not many innings at AA ball and not a lot of innings in any league for that matter. There is still a lot of room for developmental growth. Can he do so on the major league level and still keep the Yankees in most of his games pitched? It remains to be seen. I wanted Germán to remain in the majors because I think he's good enough to keep the Yankees in most of his starts. I'm not so sure about Loaisiga yet.
    God, I love Yankee fans as they're never satisfied!

NYYF Legend

Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Johnny Lasagna. Sounds like one of the wiseguys that Jimmy the Gent rounded up for the Lufthansa Heist.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Johnny Lasagna. Sounds like one of the wiseguys that Jimmy the Gent rounded up for the Lufthansa Heist.
    This morning, Gio on Boomer and Gio (WFAN) said Cone stole Johnny Lasagna moniker from him because he said it on the radio in the last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Yeah, we'll see as today's game is a good match up for Loaisiga as I still have some doubts about him. Not about his stuff, but whether he's ready for the majors. Not many innings at AA ball and not a lot of innings in any league for that matter. There is still a lot of room for developmental growth. Can he do so on the major league level and still keep the Yankees in most of his games pitched? It remains to be seen. I wanted Germán to remain in the majors because I think he's good enough to keep the Yankees in most of his starts. I'm not so sure about Loaisiga yet.
    Without little doubt, Germán even with his fastball command issues at times is a more refined pitcher than Loaisiga. Loaisiga couldn't command any of his pitches last night. He just doesn't have enough experience so we're going to get appearances like the one last night. The question is do the Yankees stick with him for another start?

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    The question is do the Yankees stick with him for another start?
    Not sure what other options they have until Tanaka is able to return. Cole perhaps?

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Good news: His next game is against Baltimore
    Bad news: It's a double header
    Good news: We can call someone from AAA
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Not why sure some are so quick to write off Loaisiga after a poor start but ready to crown German our next stud.

German had a string of bad starts from May 12 into June.

German and Loaisiga had similar beginnings actually. Both looked pretty phenomenal in their first start. Loiasiga was knocked around a bit in his second and German was knocked around pretty good in his next 4. After going 6 no-hit against Cleveland in his first start, Oakland tagged him for 6 ER in 5 IP in his second start.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jmg32 View Post
    Not why sure some are so quick to write off Loaisiga after a poor start but ready to crown German our next stud.

German and Loaisiga had similar beginnings actually. Both looked pretty phenomenal in their first start. Loiasiga was knocked around a bit in his second and German was knocked around pretty good in his next 4. After going 6 no-hit against Cleveland in his first start, Oakland tagged him for 6 ER in 5 IP in his second start.
    Yes after his 6 shut out innings performance against the Indians, his next two start pitching line is:

5IP, 6ER, 6H, 3BB, 1SO, HR
    3.2IP, 6ER, 4H, 3BB, 6SO, 2HR

I don't think many people thought he was ready at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmg32 View Post

Nobody is writing off Loaisiga, but there is no denying that he needs more seasoning, it's up to the Yankees to determine where he gets that development time. He was pitching in SI last year and only has 33 innings at Trenton. Germán has limited experience too, but at least he pitched in AAA and had a couple of cups of coffee in the big leagues last season. Both pitchers are not fully developed, but Loaisiga even more so.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Good news: His next game is against Baltimore
    Bad news: It's a double header
    Good news: We can call someone from AAA
    I don't understand what you mean. We don't play Baltimore until July 9, two and a half weeks away. He'll make at least two starts before then.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Thread Information