+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Michael Kay will stay Yankees voice after unique negotiations

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yes, TV, youíre right.

His deterioration became complete in the late 80s/early 90s, when the teamís suckitude was so great that there just wasnít much of anything to say about it. Thereís a wonderful book, Holy Cow! The Poetry of Phil Rizzuto which presents bits of his ramblings as free verse. Almost all of it, IIRC, was taken from 1991-2.
    My early memories of Phil are pristine (even if I could not remember the names of his early partners) because I moved to Brazil in 1980 when he was still on his game, and came back in 1996, when he was well into his late phase.

Here is a taste of Holy Cow!:

O Holy Cow! The Poetry of Phil Rizzuto - "Poem No. 61"

Here comes Roger Maris
    They're standing up.
    Waiting to see if Roger
    Is going to hit
    Number sixty-one.
    Here's the windup.
    The pitch to Roger.
    Way outside.
    Ball one.

The fans are starting to boo.
    Low...
    Ball two.
    That one was in the dirt.
    And the boos get louder. Two balls no strikes
    On Roger Maris...

Here's the windup.
    Fastball
    HIT DEEP TO RIGHT-
    THIS COULD BE IT.
    WAY BACK THERE.
    HOLY COW.
    HE DID IT.
    SIXTY-ONE HOME RUNS.
    They're fighting for the ball out there.

October 1, 1961, WPIX-TV
    Boston at New York
    Roger Maris batting against Tracy Stallard
    Fourth inning, no score, bases empty
    Final: Yankees 1, Red Sox 0
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    My early memories of Phil are pristine (even if I could not remember the names of his early partners) because I moved to Brazil in 1980 when he was still on his game, and came back in 1996, when he was well into his late phase.

Here is a taste of Holy Cow!:
    Thatís one of the relatively rare early works. This is more typical of his mature oeuvre:

To Speak with Espy,
    To Smile with Tears

I just told him, I said:
    "Look,
    Youíre a professional.
    Youíve got to stop this squabbling in the papers.
    Itís the worst thing you can do.
    Just go out there and play your regular game.
    Show them that youíre capable
    Of playing every day."
    He smiled for the first time.
    I said, "Geh."
    (Now you wonít believe this.)
    I said, "GET THREE FOR THREE!"
    I know...
    It sounds like I made it up.
    I really did make it up.
    Itís such a lousy game
    That I gotta make up something.

April 12, 1991
    New York at Kansas City
    Storm Davis pitching to Steve Sax
    Seventh inning, no outs, one base runner
    (Following Alvaro Espinoza's third hit)
    Royals lead 8-4

NYYF Legend

So one day Phil and Bill are whiling away a dull game and they start talking about middle names. Phil mentions that his is "Francis" and asks Bill what his is. Bill says his is "DeKova" (it really is).
    White: "Ever heard that name before?"
    Phil: "Sure ... (pause) ... there's North DeKova, South DeKova ...."

Another time they're in Toronto and Phil is upset because he got a traffic ticket in his rental car on the way to the ballpark. But he's not saying the cop was wrong, for some reason he's upset because his ticket has the Canadian maple leaf emblem on it.
    Phil: "Why do they put the maple leaf on it, why?"
    White: "It's the national emblem of Canada."
    Phil: "I know but why do they need to put it on the traffic ticket?"
    White (chuckling now): "Wait a minute, are you SURE that was a maple leaf? Maybe it's some other kind of leaf. Maybe it wasn't a traffic ticket at all. Maybe they got you for something else."
    Phil: "I don't get what you mean, White."
    White: "I'm just saying, maybe you got busted for a leaf that's not a maple leaf."
    Phil: "I don't get it ... (long pause) .... ohhhh-ohhhh, I get it! Poison ivy!"

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel. I've always thought Singleton was their best play-by-play announcer, but he'll be gone anyway.

The one thing they need to do - and won't - is to make sure Michael Kay and Paul O'Neill aren't in the booth at the same time. I would accomplish that by getting rid of O'Neill, but they won't do that, either.
    Holy cow I really like Kay and O'Neil, but you add in Cone and it's like icing on the cake

As long as I don't have to listen to Sterling or Ruocco I'm fine. Actually Sterling's voice is amazing especially in those documentaries, but he and Suzyn doing play x play reminds me of senile convention.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    So one day Phil and Bill are whiling away a dull game and they start talking about middle names. Phil mentions that his is "Francis" and asks Bill what his is. Bill says his is "DeKova" (it really is).
    White: "Ever heard that name before?"
    Phil: "Sure ... (pause) ... there's North DeKova, South DeKova ...."

Another time they're in Toronto and Phil is upset because he got a traffic ticket in his rental car on the way to the ballpark. But he's not saying the cop was wrong, for some reason he's upset because his ticket has the Canadian maple leaf emblem on it.
    Phil: "Why do they put the maple leaf on it, why?"
    White: "It's the national emblem of Canada."
    Phil: "I know but why do they need to put it on the traffic ticket?"
    White (chuckling now): "Wait a minute, are you SURE that was a maple leaf? Maybe it's some other kind of leaf. Maybe it wasn't a traffic ticket at all. Maybe they got you for something else."
    Phil: "I don't get what you mean, White."
    White: "I'm just saying, maybe you got busted for a leaf that's not a maple leaf."
    Phil: "I don't get it ... (long pause) .... ohhhh-ohhhh, I get it! Poison ivy!"
    Early in the 1971 season, Curt Flood left the Senators and went to Spain.
    Messer (I think): What do you think, Phil, maybe Curt Flood went to Spain to become a matador.
    Phil: Yep, yep, maybe that, or maybe a bullfighter!

Has this guy done a road series other than Boston all year? Sweet deal for him.

Quote Originally Posted by ace View Post
    Has this guy done a road series other than Boston all year? Sweet deal for him.
    He does 125 game schedule so the answer is yes.

Forum Regular

I saw John Sterling walking near Fenway after yesterday's game. I'm a big fan and I tried to say hello, but he just kept walking. I did notice he was not looking so great; he was gaunt and moving slowly, so I am hoping all is well and I wish him the very best. As always he was very well-dressed...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Fiftysixthst View Post
    I saw John Sterling walking near Fenway after yesterday's game. I'm a big fan and I tried to say hello, but he just kept walking. I did notice he was not looking so great; he was gaunt and moving slowly, so I am hoping all is well and I wish him the very best. As always he was very well-dressed...
    Being 80 and working every game all across the country would take its toll, I imagine.

@RealMichaelKay
    15s16 seconds ago
    More Michael Kay Retweeted Clint Frazier

Clint, I would never question someone's injury. Never. In fact, I have gone out of my way to say how I felt for you this year and how badly I know how you want to play. It is beyond my comprehension that you would think I would minimize what you are going through.

Michael Kay

Verified account

@RealMichaelKay
    Following Following @RealMichaelKay
    The next time I make light of someone's injury will be the first time. I should have said how unfortunate you and Ellsbury's injuries are. It came out in a clumsy way. If you took it the wrong way, I apologize and look forward to speaking with you personally.

NYYF Legend

He said shame on Clint Frazier for not getting healthy.

He can't spin that to say it came out clumsy. I'm not buying that. YES should suspend him.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

Devoted Member

Sounds like quite a backhanded apology.

Quote Originally Posted by Norge View Post
    Sounds like quite a backhanded apology.
    I think he'll address it again on his show as he usually admits his mistakes on his show.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    He said shame on Clint Frazier for not getting healthy.

He can't spin that to say it came out clumsy. I'm not buying that. YES should suspend him.
    Yeah right. He'll apologize on his radio show that YES simulcasts.

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    @RealMichaelKay
    15s16 seconds ago

Clint, I would never question someone's injury. Never. In fact, I have gone out of my way to say how I felt for you this year and how badly I know how you want to play. It is beyond my comprehension that you would think I would minimize what you are going through.
    Well, you did Michael and you need to apologize for your comments.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I think he'll address it again on his show as he usually admits his mistakes on his show.
    That's not a mistake. That's him trying to be edgy, controversial. He's bad at it and comes off as an ass.

Now that he's been called out he's trying to save face.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

Michael Kay

Verified account

@RealMichaelKay
    Following Following @RealMichaelKay
    More
    @clintfrazier one more thing: I just did something I hate by "apologizing if you took it the wrong way." No. That puts the onus on you. It should be on me for saying something that came out the wrong way. I apologize for my clumsy delivery. My bad.

I didn't hear it live, but I'm having an extremely hard time understanding how he was being "facetious" and WHY you would even make that statement jokingly. Thats extremely insensitive head injuries are not to be treated lightly.
    Twenty Seven and Counting.

That's not a mistake. That's him trying to be edgy, controversial. He's bad at it and comes off as an ass.

That's your opinion, mine is different and life goes on.

NYYF Legend

I'm far from Kay's biggest fan but in listening to the clip it sounds like he got carried away and lumped in Frazier with Ellsbury. I find it hard to believe that he truly thinks Frazier is bs'ing his injuries or is soft like Ells.

While both guys have been injured the majority of the season they couldn't be more different. With Ells its been one thing after the next while Frazier is dealing with post concussion symptoms and when it comes to the brain you don't mess around to win a few more baseball games.

Regardless, I think Kay did the right thing in apologizing and I think Frazier is frustrated and angry that he's injured when he finally had a shot for some real playing time and didn't appreciate being called out so he tweeted his response. I think the Yankees would have preferred he didn't but I can't say I blame the guy.

NYYF Legend

Straining for rowdy, yuk-it-up "guy talk." YES thinks it's a good idea to run a promo where he compares Ron Blomberg with Abraham Lincoln.

Edit: Just heard the Frazier clip. He sounded serious as hell. At least in the dopey Blomberg promo they're all kind of laughing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Straining for rowdy, yuk-it-up "guy talk." YES thinks it's a good idea to run a promo where he compares Ron Blomberg with Abraham Lincoln.
    I don't mind that promo, but i heard that convo live so i know the context.
    Youíre inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.í- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    I don't mind that promo, but i heard that convo live so i know the context.
    I put this in the Frazier thread, but it's probably better here:

I'm not excusing Kay because what he said didn't sound "facetious", but I think maybe he was speaking as a frustrated fan to Yankee management for being in a position where Robinson and Voit are on the field in an important series.

When he (the fan in Kay) asks management (as most of us would love to) why they are in this position, the answer is "injuries to Ellsbury and Frazier", at which point he goes off on Cashman and company by saying "Well, shame on them for being hurt - you need to be better prepared or find better options".

Again, not excusing it, because it sounded bad and his mouth outran his brain. And he needs to have a better apology ready on his show.

Ellsbury is pretty quiet on the subject though.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Fiftysixthst View Post
    He may not have seen you.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Thread Information