+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Michael Kay will stay Yankees voice after unique negotiations

Michael Kay will stay Yankees voice after unique negotiations
    By Andrew Marchand June 12, 2018 | 12:12p

https://nypost.com/2018/06/11/yankee...-gary-sanchez/

Kay and YES Network are putting the finishing touches on a three-year contract with a network option for two more. At the end of the three years, Kay will be 60 years old. He wants to call Yankee games for as long as possible.

I dont see any end in sight, Kay told The Post. I want to keep doing this as long as I want to and as long as they want me to.

God Hell No, t Michael Kay will stay? He's awful play by play announcer.

Re: Michael Kay will stay Yankees voice after unique negotiations

I don't hate him as much as most people seem to... but maybe I've just gotten used to him.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

YES played this brilliantly. They planted Rucco in there so we'd appreciated Kay more.
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    YES played this brilliantly. They planted Rucco in there so we'd appreciated Kay more.
    Seriously, I think Kay is nothing special before but Ruocco makes him look like Vin Scully.

Had to log in to comment.

Glad others share the same opinion regarding Rucco.

Rucco is abysmal.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Seriously, I think Kay is nothing special before but Ruocco makes him look like Vin Scully.
    Indeed. I wonder if Kay recommended Ruocco for the job just so Kay could shine in comparison.

Kay's man crush on Paul O'Neill is hard to take though.

NYYF Legend

That is a good summation of how I feel. If Ruocco becomes the TV voice of the Yankees I think Ill have to start watching the games on mute. How can such a great franchise have such sub-par announcers?
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

NYYF Legend

I wonder if under his new contract he will be making less road trips.

Yankees your 27 time WS Champs MyBoysKaosHavoK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    That is a good summation of how I feel. If Ruocco becomes the TV voice of the Yankees I think I’ll have to start watching the games on mute. How can such a great franchise have such sub-par announcers?
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. I don't mind Kay but I can't stand Ruocco...
    In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King......

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by MyBoysKaosHavoK View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. I don't mind Kay but I can't stand Ruocco...
    I'm neutral on Kay, always have liked Singleton (wish he would stay) and probably like many others here, I watch Ruocco on mute with music playing in the background. Growing up in the 70's and 80's, I certainly miss Rizzuto, White and Messer.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Man_With_No_Plan View Post
    I don't hate him as much as most people seem to... but maybe I've just gotten used to him.
    Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel. I've always thought Singleton was their best play-by-play announcer, but he'll be gone anyway.

The one thing they need to do - and won't - is to make sure Michael Kay and Paul O'Neill aren't in the booth at the same time. I would accomplish that by getting rid of O'Neill, but they won't do that, either.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel. I've always thought Singleton was their best play-by-play announcer, but he'll be gone anyway.

The one thing they need to do - and won't - is to make sure Michael Kay and Paul O'Neill aren't in the booth at the same time. I would accomplish that by getting rid of O'Neill, but they won't do that, either.
    Cosigned. I don't mind Kay, unless he's paired with O'Neill.

NYYF Legend

Plus Kenny seems lifeless this year, which is surprising given how exciting the team is. I can't point to any one thing, but somehow he just doesn't have it anymore.

I despise Kay. I don't like him as a personality and I hate the way he does baseball games. The talk show compulsion drives me nuts. God, I miss Rizzuto, White and Messer.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Actually, I think the Kay and Leiter pairing is the worst by far. They go full throttle sports talk radio during the broadcast. The game they're supposedly broadcasting is a mere inconvenience for them.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Actually, I think the Kay and Leiter pairing is the worst by far. They go full throttle sports talk radio during the broadcast. The game they're supposedly broadcasting is a mere inconvenience for them.
    Yeah, but I like Leiter. That helps a little. O'Neill...well, you know.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Yeah, but I like Leiter. That helps a little. O'Neill...well, you know.
    Al always sounds to me like he drank 5 red bulls and had 6 cups of coffee before a broadcast.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Holy cow I really like Kay and O'Neil, but you add in Cone and it's like icing on the cake

As long as I don't have to listen to Sterling or Ruocco I'm fine. Actually Sterling's voice is amazing especially in those documentaries, but he and Suzyn doing play x play reminds me of senile convention.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Man_With_No_Plan View Post
    Same. Unlike most here, I don't mind Kay. He can certainly go off on tangents, particularly when he's with Paulie, but for the most part he's listenable. Ruocco, on the other hand, God help us if we have to endure much more of him. Can't another network steal him from us, please?

Thread Information