+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Re: Michael Kay will stay Yankees voice after unique negotiations

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    This is a great point that should be brought up more.

Just me but I don't remember Frank Messer on talk radio ripping people.
    Frank Messer was a consummate professional and a "nuts and bolts" announcer. But talk about " hear no evil and see no evil" that was Frank. He bent over backwards to avoid controversy. Bill White on the other hand did not mind poking the bear every now and then.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    YES played this brilliantly. They planted Rucco in there so we'd appreciated Kay more.
    He's awful.

But I'll add this: listen to the rest of the league on MLB.tv and suddenly realize that Michael is one of the best.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    Frank Messer was a consummate professional and a "nuts and bolts" announcer. But talk about " hear no evil and see no evil" that was Frank. He bent over backwards to avoid controversy. Bill White on the other hand did not mind poking the bear every now and then.
    A few of us here grew up on Messer, White and Rizutto. They rotated from radio to TV during each game. They were all good but a lot of times I would follow Rizutto during the games since he was more entertaining.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    A few of us here grew up on Messer, White and Rizutto. They rotated from radio to TV during each game. They were all good but a lot of times I would follow Rizutto during the games since he was more entertaining.
    When I was a kid often the last voice I heard before I feel asleep was Rizzuto, Messer, or White. I still have the little transitor radio I used to sneak under my pillow.

When I was a kid often the last voice I heard before I feel asleep was Rizzuto, Messer, or White. I still have the little transitor radio I used to sneak under my pillow.
    I did the same. I wish I still had mine.

Baseball on the radio used to be the soundtrack for my summer - always there as a distinctive background hum, even if I wasnít paying close attention. Now I donít have a radio I can carry around all the time, and I donít think I could spend my whole summer with Ma and Pa Kettle.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I did the same. I wish I still had mine.

Baseball on the radio used to be the soundtrack for my summer - always there as a distinctive background hum, even if I wasnít paying close attention. Now I donít have a radio I can carry around all the time, and I donít think I could spend my whole summer with Ma and Pa Kettle.
    I didn't have to sneak as long as I kept the volume lowwwwwww. On nights the Yankees were off, the challenge was to find an out-of-town game on my Sears Silvertone tabletop radio. Red Sox were a relatively easy find on WTIC out of Hartford, as were the Phillies on WCAU. You needed skilled dialing fingers to get the Orioles on WBAL; the Indians on WWWE (THREE-double-yew-EEE!!) required the fingers of a safecracker. Pirates came in pretty well on KDKA. One night when the sunspots were crackling I actually got the Cardinals on KMOX. I was very proud of that one.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    I didn't have to sneak as long as I kept the volume lowwwwwww. On nights the Yankees were off, the challenge was to find an out-of-town game on my Sears Silvertone tabletop radio. Red Sox were a relatively easy find on WTIC out of Hartford, as were the Phillies on WCAU. You needed skilled dialing fingers to get the Orioles on WBAL; the Indians on WWWE (THREE-double-yew-EEE!!) required the fingers of a safecracker. Pirates came in pretty well on KDKA. One night when the sunspots were crackling I actually got the Cardinals on KMOX. I was very proud of that one.
    I think the best I did was Detroit, on my transistor radio. I definitely got Cleveland once or twice.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Thread Information