+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Michael Kay will stay Yankees voice after unique negotiations

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Why would he walk away?
    theoretically ---

Became father not too many years ago, appears to be in successful marriage (though who knows), has ton of money, could still do NY-based YES work and keep his radio show. He's already ceding plenty of YES work to Ruocco.

This is not a prediction. I don't know what's in his heart. I'm just saying it's plausible he might.

I like Kay alright. He and Sterling were the team on WABC when I was a teenager in early 90s and would be able to get the Yankees night games on AM radio in South Carolina. Good memories.

NYYF Legend

I wish Singlton would change his mind and lot leave.......he is great with Rucco and would be a great mentor for him.

Michael Kay was good last night with the Rays analyst.

Clap clap, clap-clap-clap ArodEra's Avatar

Micahel Kay's wife. That's all my shallow a$$ got for now.

NYYF Legend

I'm Just used to Kay now. I like When Kenny and Cone do the games alone.
    I like Rucco.
    George Grande...The one who got away..

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Micahel Kay's wife. That's all my shallow a$$ got for now.

When it comes to looks, he married way, way up.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

I miss the Kenny and Kaat days...

'Kick ass. Pop champagne. And get some ho's.'

Yankees your 27 time WS Champs MyBoysKaosHavoK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Seriously, I think Kay is nothing special before but Ruocco makes him look like Vin Scully.
    Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    That is a good summation of how I feel. If Ruocco becomes the TV voice of the Yankees I think I’ll have to start watching the games on mute. How can such a great franchise have such sub-par announcers?
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. I don't mind Kay but I can't stand Ruocco...
    In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King......

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by MyBoysKaosHavoK View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. I don't mind Kay but I can't stand Ruocco...
    I'm neutral on Kay, always have liked Singleton (wish he would stay) and probably like many others here, I watch Ruocco on mute with music playing in the background. Growing up in the 70's and 80's, I certainly miss Rizzuto, White and Messer.

Poor Ruocco so hated before he really gets his baseball announcing career in full swing.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Ball 2008 View Post
    Growing up in the 70's and 80's, I certainly miss Rizzuto, White and Messer.
    I do, too, but honestly, Scooter was horrible. I mean, I loved the man like a strange Uncle, but he was a terrible announcer. "Pete's Bakery over in Hillside sent up a beautiful box of cannolis. And, Holy cow, these things are good. I don't normally like when they add chocolate chips to the filling, but these are just perfect. Hey. Holy Cow, there are two outs. Wonder what happened."

White and Messer needed to be there to tell you about the game, because Scooter was generally busy with other things. The scorecards used to stay in place in the booth, and they used to say that when they followed Scooter over to the radio booth, there would be a handful of notations saying "DSI." That was Scooter's shorthand for "didn't see it."

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    I do, too, but honestly, Scooter was horrible. I mean, I loved the man like a strange Uncle, but he was a terrible announcer. "Pete's Bakery over in Hillside sent up a beautiful box of cannolis. And, Holy cow, these things are good. I don't normally like when they add chocolate chips to the filling, but these are just perfect. Hey. Holy Cow, there are two outs. Wonder what happened."

White and Messer needed to be there to tell you about the game, because Scooter was generally busy with other things. The scorecards used to stay in place in the booth, and they used to say that when they followed Scooter over to the radio booth, there would be a handful of notations saying "DSI." That was Scooter's shorthand for "didn't see it."
    I disagree. Rizzuto was a wonderful announcer, he just wasn’t a good baseball announcer. He did a great radio show, though. Did you know that North By Northwest was his favorite movie? And holy cow, he was listening to the ninth inning when he was driving home yesterday, and he couldn’t believe it!

IIRC, the notation was WW, for Wasn’t Watching.

I know a lot of you have issues with YES announcers, but ESPN's crew isn't very good. I'm sorry Arod, but he needs to improve his game with the mike and what he talks about. I've been trying to give Mendoza the benefit of the doubt, but she's not good either. Their play-by-play guy isn't bad.
    Last edited by Yankees1962; 07-02-18 at 11:15 AM.

I know a lot of you have issues with YES announcers, but ESPN's crew isn't very good. I'm sorry Arod, but he needs to improve his game with the mike and what he talks about. I've been trying to give Sanchez the benefit of the doubt, but she's not good either. Their play-by-play guy isn't bad.
    I disagree. I think both are excellent. They’re well-prepared, intelligent, know what they’re talking about, love talking baseball, and speak English - comfortably - rather than dumb-jockspeak. The p-b-p guy is generic, but I really like listening to Rodríguez and Mendoza.

I think SNB broadcast would be significantly better if Jessica and Buster switched roles.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I disagree. I think both are excellent. They’re well-prepared, intelligent, know what they’re talking about, love talking baseball, and speak English - comfortably - rather than dumb-jockspeak. The p-b-p guy is generic, but I really like listening to Rodríguez and Mendoza.
    Thanks for the name correction on Mendoza. As to her and Arod's performance as broadcasters, it's a difference in opinion so I'll leave it at that. I think the thing that bother me is when they were talking about players that played for both the Sox and Yankees, her choice as to the one that hurt the most was Johnny Damon.

Thanks for the name correction on Mendoza. As to her and Arod's performance as broadcasters, it's a difference in opinion so I'll leave it at that. I think the thing that bother me is when they were talking about players that played for both the Sox and Yankees, her choice as to the one that hurt the most was Johnny Damon.
    And for me, when they mentioned Boggs and Clemens, I said, "Hello? Damon?" The Red Sox fans I knew felt that one as the biggest betrayal.

As the t-shirt said, "Looks like Jesus. Throws like Mary. Acts like Judas."

And for me, when they mentioned Boggs and Clemens, I said, "Hello? Damon?" The Red Sox fans I knew felt that one as the biggest betrayal.

As the t-shirt said, "Looks like Jesus. Throws like Mary. Acts like Judas."
    Really, he was a hired mercenary for both the Sox and Yankees, they broke the curse. I'm sure some Sox fans were upset because Damon went back on his word. Not quite the same as Boggs winning a WS title and the curse still going on.

NYYF Legend

I disagree. Rizzuto was a wonderful announcer, he just wasn’t a good baseball announcer. He did a great radio show, though. Did you know that North By Northwest was his favorite movie? And holy cow, he was listening to the ninth inning when he was driving home yesterday, and he couldn’t believe it!

IIRC, the notation was WW, for Wasn’t Watching.
    Early Scooter was much better than late scooter. I spent a lot of time listening to early 60s Yankee games on my trusty little 7-transistor Sony, often with the little white earphone cord running up my sleeve in stealth mode during study hall. He really called the game in those days. with help from Messer, White, and others. I remember being able to visualize the game from the radio call, something that is impossible with the Kettles. I don't think he even left early back then.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Really, he was a hired mercenary for both the Sox and Yankees, they broke the curse. I'm sure some Sox fans were upset because Damon went back on his word. Not quite the same as Boggs winning a WS title and the curse still going on.
    When Boggs left, the Sox didn’t want to re-sign him, and they did their usual PR job of trashing the player they were tired of. It was 4 years before he won a title, and Sox fans really didn’t consider him "their guy" anymore.

Damon was part of the deified team that broke the curse. When he left, by choice, it was a betrayal.

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Early Scooter was much better than late scooter. I spent a lot of time listening to early 60s Yankee games on my trusty little 7-transistor Sony, often with the little white earphone cord running up my sleeve in stealth mode during study hall. He really called the game in those days. with help from Messer, White, and others. I remember being able to visualize the game from the radio call, something that is impossible with the Kettles. I don't think he even left early back then.
    No, he didn’t leave early, because he (and everyone else) did both radio and TV then. They didn’t have separate teams. It was only when they moved him to radio only that he started leaving after 7.

And yes, he was much better earlier. Even later, he would say something that would remind me just how profound his knowledge and understanding of the game was. Once a pitch came inside on someone, and the other announcer though it hit the batter's hand. Rizzuto immediately said no, it hit the knob of the bat, and added, "what you gotta do in that situation is fall down, and pinch the side of your hand so it turns red, then show it to the ump." I realized, holy cow, he knew in the instant what had to be done, and had undoubtedly done it a dozen or two times.

Clap clap, clap-clap-clap ArodEra's Avatar

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Yes yes yes. People don't realize that, he didn't start to go goofy until the late 1970s. In 1994 I think it was, WFAN on Christmas night replayed the national radio broadcast of Game 7 of the 1964 World Series when the Cardinals beat the Yankees 7-5. Rizzuto and Joe Garagiola did the broadcast and it was fascinating. Phil was dead serious, on top of every pitch and every factoid, right down the line. It was Garagiola who was the "comic relief" on that broadcast.

Billy Crystal ought to be spat on for the way he depicted Rizzuto in 61*, in search of some cheap laughs he teleported goofy 1980s Phil back into 1961. Bull. Mel Allen and Red Barber would have thrown him out of the booth and locked the door if he acted like that back then.

Nitpick: If you listened to him in the early 1960s you weren't hearing him with White and Messer. Messer joined the broadcast team in 1968. White was first baseman for the Cardinals back then; he joined the broadcast team in 1971, replacing the regrettable Bob Gamere, who is a separate story himself (and not in a good way).

No, he didn’t leave early, because he (and everyone else) did both radio and TV then. They didn’t have separate teams. It was only when they moved him to radio only that he started leaving after 7.

And yes, he was much better earlier. Even later, he would say something that would remind me just how profound his knowledge and understanding of the game was. Once a pitch came inside on someone, and the other announcer though it hit the batter's hand. Rizzuto immediately said no, it hit the knob of the bat, and added, "what you gotta do in that situation is fall down, and pinch the side of your hand so it turns red, then show it to the ump." I realized, holy cow, he knew in the instant what had to be done, and had undoubtedly done it a dozen or two times.
    I think you mean TV only. I don't recall hearing Scooter on the radio much in the 1980s. I agree about how the knowledge would sometimes seep through, though. I may have been a lousy high school utility infielder while Phil was a great MLB shortstop, but I learned that if you have a big goon barreling in on you on a double play like he wants to put you in left field, drop down sidearm and aim for his face. He'll get down. Phil taught me that, on television.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Yes yes yes. People don't realize that, he didn't start to go goofy until the late 1970s. In 1994 I think it was, WFAN on Christmas night replayed the national radio broadcast of Game 7 of the 1964 World Series when the Cardinals beat the Yankees 7-5. Rizzuto and Joe Garagiola did the broadcast and it was fascinating. Phil was dead serious, on top of every pitch and every factoid, right down the line. It was Garagiola who was the "comic relief" on that broadcast.

Billy Crystal ought to be spat on for the way he depicted Rizzuto in 61*, in search of some cheap laughs he teleported goofy 1980s Phil back into 1961. Bull. Mel Allen and Red Barber would have thrown him out of the booth and locked the door if he acted like that back then.

Nitpick: If you listened to him in the early 1960s you weren't hearing him with White and Messer. Messer joined the broadcast team in 1968. White was first baseman for the Cardinals back then; he joined the broadcast team in 1971, replacing the regrettable Bob Gamere, who is a separate story himself (and not in a good way).

I think you mean TV only. I don't recall hearing Scooter on the radio much in the 1980s. I agree about how the knowledge would sometimes seep through, though. I may have been a lousy high school utility infielder while Phil was a great MLB shortstop, but I learned that if you have a big goon barreling in on you on a double play like he wants to put you in left field, drop down sidearm and aim for his face. He'll get down. Phil taught me that, on television.
    Yes, TV, you’re right.

His deterioration became complete in the late 80s/early 90s, when the team’s suckitude was so great that there just wasn’t much of anything to say about it. There’s a wonderful book, Holy Cow! The Poetry of Phil Rizzuto which presents bits of his ramblings as free verse. Almost all of it, IIRC, was taken from 1991-2.

Thread Information