View Poll Results: Which Hypothetical 3B Trade Would You Make?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trade Drury for a #3 starter, stick with Andujar for hopefully the next decade+

23 53.49%
  • Trade Andujar for a #1, give Drury 3B, and hope he produces like they believe he's capable

20 46.51%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Trading a 3B Hypothetical

Right now with Andujar tearing it up in the Bronx and Drury posting eye-opening numbers with SWB the Yankees have the best kind of problem. This really couldn't have worked out much better for Cashman following the trade for Drury despite some significant worry in between.

So without anywhere to play these two 3B, the questions start orienting towards a trade.

Andujar should be the more valuable of the two considering the production of his first 50 games at the ML level as well as having 5+ years of control left. Drury might not be to the same level, but it sounds like his talent is still legitimately respected around the Majors and he's leading the International League in wRC+ at the moment. He has 3+ years of control left, with the possibility for it to be 4+ if he stays in AAA until 7/2(ish).

I've posited recently that Andujar and not much else could potentially bring back a true ace type pitcher. Rookie hitters with defined positions (especially on the dirt) mashing in the Majors never get moved - they are always off limits in negotiations. So if the Yankees made Andujar available I believe the return would be MASSIVE.

Drury would also provide a nice return, but something more mid-rotation like, in my opinion.

So even though I could be wrong, lets operate under the assumption that I'm not and choose which hypothetical move you'd rather make:

Keep Andujar and move Drury for a #3 type starter

OR

Trade Andujar for an ace type (assuming one comes available) and roll with Drury at 3B
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Re: Trading a 3B Hypothetical

Can we add multiple top prospects to Drury to make him equivalent to Andj in this hypothetical?
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Can we add multiple top prospects to Drury to make him equivalent to Andj in this hypothetical?
    This is an interesting question, and the route I'd prefer (and think is actually possible), but lets say that - just for the sake of this specific conversation - these are the only two options.

NYYF HOF

Assuming by #1 you mean DeGrom or Bumgarner. U'd trade Andujar.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    This is an interesting question, and the route I'd prefer (and think is actually possible), but lets say that - just for the sake of this specific conversation - these are the only two options.
    So I can trade Andj for DeGrom straight up?

If so, gun to my head, no other solution to hold on to Andj, I make that trade.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

lots of variables, but most importantly, how long do we have the #1 pitcher under control for. 1 year rental? No thanks. 2.5 years? Yes.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

I would trade Andujar for a legit ace. While his bat is probably better than Drury's, it's likely not by a significant margin. Not to where you bypass a bonafide ace just to have a slight offensive upgrade at 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    I would trade Andujar for a legit ace. While his bat is probably better than Drury's, it's likely not by a significant margin. Not to where you bypass a bonafide ace just to have a slight offensive upgrade at 3rd.
    Andujar is batting .310 with a 136 OPS+.

The *best* season Drury has ever had is batting .282 with a 101 OPS+.

That's (35pts) bigger than the difference between Torres (+143) and Hicks (+111). Unless you think Adujar (to date) is slightly better at the plate than Hicks, you may want to take a look at their numbers.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TheHugeUnit2 View Post
    Assuming by #1 you mean DeGrom or Bumgarner. U'd trade Andujar.
    Yes, that type of pitcher, though without a ton of control like Andujar.

So I can trade Andj for DeGrom straight up?
    Essentially yes. Maybe some upper-level solid guys like a Tate/Acevedo thrown in along with a Estrada/Avelino type, but nothing off of their generally accepted top-5 or so prospects and none of the big ticket babies just entering the system.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    lots of variables, but most importantly, how long do we have the #1 pitcher under control for. 1 year rental? No thanks. 2.5 years? Yes.
    Definitely not a 1 year rental, figure more like already in his arb years or with a few years left on a team friendly contract signed years ago. deGrom-like 2+ years of control or so.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Andujar is batting .310 with a 136 OPS+.

The *best* season Drury has ever had is batting .282 with a 101 OPS+.

That's (35pts) bigger than the difference between Torres (+143) and Hicks (+111). Unless you think Adujar (to date) is slightly better at the plate than Hicks, you may want to take a look at their numbers.
    Well the season isn't over. We don't know if he's going to hit .300. Before this hot streak he was at .270-.280.
    My main point was, what we know Drury did in Arizona, isn't going to kill production at 3rd. I would gladly take his 2016 year in addition, to say having deGrom behind Severino.

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    Well the season isn't over. We don't know if he's going to hit .300. Before this hot streak he was at .270-.280.
    My main point was, what we know Drury did in Arizona, isn't going to kill production at 3rd. I would gladly take his 2016 year in addition, to say having deGrom behind Severino.
    As would I, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking it wouldn't be a big loss offensively.

Lots of variables here, but this is a good theoretical.

Assuming it's something like Andujar for deGrom/Bumgarner vs. Drury for Hamels/Ross, I would trade Andujar. We really need that dominant SP to complete this team. Another #3/4 isn't going to move the needle much this year.

The downgrade on offense hurts, but we can more than make up for it over the offseason. It will be much more risky to try improve the rotation via free agency.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Rob035 View Post
    Lots of variables here, but this is a good theoretical.

Assuming it's something like Andujar for deGrom/Bumgarner vs. Drury for Hamels/Ross, I would trade Andujar. We really need that dominant SP to complete this team. Another #3/4 isn't going to move the needle much this year.

The downgrade on offense hurts, but we can more than make up for it over the offseason. It will be much more risky to try improve the rotation via free agency.
    Sound logic all around.
    Calmer than you are

Speaking strictly in terms of need with the way the roster is constructed, I would say there is a greater need to obtain a number one type starter. I would be willing (were I the GM) to include Andujar in such a trade.

Would have no problem with trading Andujar for degrom. My problem is Mets fans want frazier too. No. Too much. You get Andujar and some lower level prospects. Low meaning guys our organization are not in love with reguardless of where they are playing
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

NYYF Legend

I don't think Drury has a lot of value in a trade. He is likely perceived as little more than a utility infielder based on his track record and his recent injury probably does not help his trade value. It would definitely have to be Drury+ to even net a middle of the rotation starter.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I don't think Drury has a lot of value in a trade. He is likely perceived as little more than a utility infielder based on his track record and his recent injury probably does not help his trade value. It would definitely have to be Drury+ to even net a middle of the rotation starter.
    As long as itís drury + not anything absurd Iím okay with that.
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

Miguel Andujar entered the season as Baseball America's 59th-ranked prospect on the eve of his 23rd birthday. Andujar has been among baseball's top rookie position players to date:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...lter=&players=

... but consensus projections have Andujar dropping from his current wRC+ of 140 to 102 the remainder of the season:

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...78&position=3B

MLB front offices are likely to disregard hot starts in favor of broader pictures. I doubt that six years of Andujar would be enough to land Jacob deGrom or a similarly elite starter.

Three-plus years of Brandon Drury, who has posted a career fWAR of 1.1 in 297 games, is unlikely to fetch a No. 3 starter.

NYYF Legend

Who cares about those terrible projections? What was Andj projected to hit pre-season?
    Calmer than you are

Who cares about those terrible projections? What was Andj projected to hit pre-season?
    MLB front offices (with their own proprietary projections).

NYYF Legend

who are these hypothetical #1 & #3 that are available for Andujar or Drury?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
    MLB front offices (with their own proprietary projections).
    That's nice. However, as noted, those projections have been very wrong already. Reality is a better measure here. Not poor fangraphs projections based on outdated systems (eg not using statcast data).
    Calmer than you are

That's nice. However, as noted, those projections have been very wrong already. Reality is a better measure here. Not poor fangraphs projections based on outdated systems (eg not using statcast data).
    FOs have proprietary systems that have been using statcast type data for at least 5 years before it was available to us. Who knows what kind of data they're collecting now that we don't have publicly available
    Youíre inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.í- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    FOs have proprietary systems that have been using statcast type data for at least 5 years before it was available to us. Who knows what kind of data they're collecting now that we don't have publicly available
    No doubt. However, quoting those fangraphs ones just make no sense. They are waaaaaaay terrible.
    Calmer than you are

NYYF Legend

Any opportunity to get an ace has to be taken consideration of.
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

Thread Information