View Poll Results: Which Hypothetical 3B Trade Would You Make?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trade Drury for a #3 starter, stick with Andujar for hopefully the next decade+

23 53.49%
  • Trade Andujar for a #1, give Drury 3B, and hope he produces like they believe he's capable

20 46.51%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Trading a 3B Hypothetical

Quote Originally Posted by jeterrules View Post
    I would not do all 3 of them unless we are talking a legit ace. My point was to the poster that said Andujar for a #1 and if it was him alone i would drive him there.

But again we are talking legit #1 but for those 3 it would have to be a Chris Sale type and i do not see any of those out there.

Which goes back to the point f we could have got Chris Sale for less then that package which still makes me shake my head how we didnt match that offer.

But Frazier could go along with Andujar for a #1 and i would not have a problem with it at all but gutting those 3 it would take a legit Chris Sale type and i do not see any out there.
    Would you have wanted to give up Judge, Sanchez and Severino (probably a bit more, not just those 3) for Sale? Because that's what it would have cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob035 View Post
    We are $16 million under the cap this year and we have ~$48 million coming off the books. Factoring in raises for arb players, there's likely room to add Machado and a SP and still stay under the cap in 2019. It'll get tricky down the road, but it can surely be done.

We've slashed payroll to get to this point -which I've been perfectly fine with. Now that we are in the cusp of creating a dynasty, I expect Hal to open the checkbook and push this team over the top.

Agree. I was all for resetting the lux tax and the Yankees did an admirable job building a contender while doing so, but going forward, I want them to spend. Spend smartly, but SPEND and turn this team into an overpowered Juggernaut and deliver us multiple championships.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by NYYfan4life90 View Post
    Would you have wanted to give up Judge, Sanchez and Severino (probably a bit more, not just those 3) for Sale? Because that's what it would have cost.
    This is disingenuous and I think you know it. Judge, Sanchez, and Severino all hit their 90% projectile outcomes or greater. Most prospects don't do that.
    On the other hand, you have different fingers.

my blog: http://nybaseballoffice.blogspot.com

Letís win a championship first before we talk about a dynasty.
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

Quote Originally Posted by Stache Fan View Post
    This is disingenuous and I think you know it. Judge, Sanchez, and Severino all hit their 90% projectile outcomes or greater. Most prospects don't do that.
    I'm talking about before they had all broke out.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Sure, but even if Moncada and Kopech both reach their full potential, it doesn't mean the Red Sox were wrong for paying that price to acquire Chris Sale.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    Letís win a championship first before we talk about a dynasty.
    Especially since no team has repeated in the 21st century.

NYYF Cy Young

I would probably make that trade for a deGrom type in that case, honestly. Because you don't expect 3 of even your best prospects to become an MVP outfielder, baseball's best-hitting catcher, and a #1 starter.

As much as it would hurt, you gotta make trades to improve your biggest weaknesses. The Yankees have depth, so I would trade Andujar and put Drury at 3B.

NYYF Legend

Andujar is one of the keys to our future. We are rich in prospects that are sought by other teams.

To me trading andujar would be akin to the yankees trading Lew Burdette to the braves in 1951

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    Andujar is one of the keys to our future. We are rich in prospects that are sought by other teams.

To me trading andujar would be akin to the yankees trading Lew Burdette to the braves in 1951

Andy
    Agreed

Unless it's for a pitcher who's going to anchor the rotation for 5 years, you have to keep Andujar who will be anchoring 3rd for the next 6 seasons
    Youíre inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.í- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    Agreed

Unless it's for a pitcher who's going to anchor the rotation for 5 years, you have to keep Andujar who will be anchoring 3rd for the next 6 seasons
    I tend to have the opposite reaction in game threads when Andujar hits a dinger, but trading him really is the best move. In my view it's for these four reasons:

1) He can bring back a legitimate ace;
    2) For 2018, the drop-off from Andujar to Drury is smaller than the drop-off for pretty much any other position;
    3) Protects against Andujar's value cratering;
    4) Opens a natural spot for Machado in 2019.

I'm abstaining from the vote.

I'm deeply conflicted here.

I like everything I'm seeing out of Andujar, and I hope he's a third base for the Yankees for a long time. But if that's the price to pay for someone like de Grom, I understand. In the long run, I'd need to see exactly what pitcher we'd get in return, and with how many years of control.

On the other hand, I can see giving up Drury+ for a second tier starter, keeping Andujar. But again, I'd need to see exactly what pitcher we're talking about, and for how many years of control.

I'm not particularly enamored of the Drury-as-a-stopgap-and-then-sign-Machado discussion. Manny is a terrific hitter, but I'm somehow not excited about the concept of putting him in pinstripes. For every article you see about the youthful vitality he brings to the clubhouse, you see two about his bad attitude.

Long story short.......if it takes Andujar to get the right ace, I'll be able to live with it, but I'll grimace every time Andj has a terrific game in another uniform. And if we can get a decent mid-rotation guy for Drury+, I'll be able to live with that, because Andj+mid-level-guy might be better in the long run than Drury+ace.

Just too many variables. Which guy? How many years of control? Who would we need to package with Drury?

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

I tend to have the opposite reaction in game threads when Andujar hits a dinger, but trading him really is the best move. In my view it's for these four reasons:

2) For 2018, the drop-off from Andujar to Drury is smaller than the drop-off for pretty much any other position;

You have to be kidding. The dropoff from andjuhar to drury is significent.

What gives you an indication that Andujar's value is cratering. All I can see is that his fielding is well above par, he has a strong arm and his offense is at least on a par with torres. Those two are the keys to our dynasty.

As for Muchado. I want nothing to do with him. His upcoming demands for a contract will cripple us for the future. I do not feel he is a team player

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

1. What legitimate ace is going to be on the market? I'd much rather see the Yankees get a 2/3 or even a 3/4 for less.
    2. But it's not just about this year. Cashman himself has said he wants championships. Plural. He's not going to shove on this season if it means their window closes sooner.
    3. How many wanted Sanchez, Judge, or Severino traded? A lot, and it's a damn good thing Cashman didn't. Trust the system it's working
    4. No
    Youíre inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.í- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    I'm abstaining from the vote.

I'm deeply conflicted here.

I like everything I'm seeing out of Andujar, and I hope he's a third base for the Yankees for a long time. But if that's the price to pay for someone like de Grom, I understand. In the long run, I'd need to see exactly what pitcher we'd get in return, and with how many years of control.

On the other hand, I can see giving up Drury+ for a second tier starter, keeping Andujar. But again, I'd need to see exactly what pitcher we're talking about, and for how many years of control.

I'm not particularly enamored of the Drury-as-a-stopgap-and-then-sign-Machado discussion. Manny is a terrific hitter, but I'm somehow not excited about the concept of putting him in pinstripes. For every article you see about the youthful vitality he brings to the clubhouse, you see two about his bad attitude.

Long story short.......if it takes Andujar to get the right ace, I'll be able to live with it, but I'll grimace every time Andj has a terrific game in another uniform. And if we can get a decent mid-rotation guy for Drury+, I'll be able to live with that, because Andj+mid-level-guy might be better in the long run than Drury+ace.

Just too many variables. Which guy? How many years of control? Who would we need to package with Drury?

I'm with Maynerd.. I would deeply hate trading Andujar. But if it comes down to him being the main and mostly significant piece to get an ace, then so be it.. But when I say ace, I mean ace. I mean a guy that is interchangeable with Severino in terms of dominance and effectiveness. DeGrom fits that bill.
    I don't mean a mid level rotation guy.. I'd like to get Cole Hamels or JA Happ, but the mere mention of Andujar or Torres for one of those, I hang up and send them the phone bill for the time on the call..

I also agree that there is a consideration here..

Are we better with Drury at third or second (and no Torres or no Andujar) and deGrom or would it be better to have both Andujar and Torres stay but add a Cole Hamels?

It's a question for sure..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Left-Handed Catcher

It’s of my opinion that the Yankees are loaded enough to enjoy a window of 3-7 years of being an elite team. While I would part ways with high-caliber prospects for the right arm, I would object to a guy whose making significant contributions in the majors and is only just getting started in his major league career.

In short, the Yankees aren’t the Cubs where they, and the fans, are starved for a championship. (Despite what our more spoiled denomination of our fanbase would lead you to believe.) I think a reasonable package without Andujar or Torres can get a rotation arm that can navigate through the playoffs like a Cole Hamels.

Also, I’m pretty confident that if large money is going to be spent this upcoming offseason, it won’t be for a Machado or Harper. It’ll be for a free agent pitcher. Both guys could move the offensive potential of this current squad to the upper stratosphere, but also come with a pair of handcuffs and Alex Rodriguez-like headaches in the latter portions of their careers with declining output and huge money owed to either one.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Itís of my opinion that the Yankees are loaded enough to enjoy a window of 3-7 years of being an elite team. While I would part ways with high-caliber prospects for the right arm, I would object to a guy whose making significant contributions in the majors and is only just getting started in his major league career.

In short, the Yankees arenít the Cubs where they, and the fans, are starved for a championship. (Despite what our more spoiled denomination of our fanbase would lead you to believe.) I think a reasonable package without Andujar or Torres can get a rotation arm that can navigate through the playoffs like a Cole Hamels.

Also, Iím pretty confident that if large money is going to be spent this upcoming offseason, it wonít be for a Machado or Harper. Itíll be for a free agent pitcher. Both guys could move the offensive potential of this current squad to the upper stratosphere, but also come with a pair of handcuffs and Alex Rodriguez-like headaches in the latter portions of their careers with declining output and huge money owed to either one.
    If there was a good pitcher hitting the market, I'd agree with you. But who is?
    IT seems like there are two ways to get an ace on your roster: Develop or trade prospects.

Plus, wrong side of 30 aces tend to have very high mileage and are big risks- bigger than an out fielder or something.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Itís of my opinion that the Yankees are loaded enough to enjoy a window of 3-7 years of being an elite team. While I would part ways with high-caliber prospects for the right arm, I would object to a guy whose making significant contributions in the majors and is only just getting started in his major league career.

In short, the Yankees arenít the Cubs where they, and the fans, are starved for a championship. (Despite what our more spoiled denomination of our fanbase would lead you to believe.) I think a reasonable package without Andujar or Torres can get a rotation arm that can navigate through the playoffs like a Cole Hamels.

Also, Iím pretty confident that if large money is going to be spent this upcoming offseason, it wonít be for a Machado or Harper. Itíll be for a free agent pitcher. Both guys could move the offensive potential of this current squad to the upper stratosphere, but also come with a pair of handcuffs and Alex Rodriguez-like headaches in the latter portions of their careers with declining output and huge money owed to either one.
    I agree with everything you say but Pinstripes has the right response... who is the FA pitcher here?
    You can just about eliminate Kershaw, between his injury and current contract I doubt he opts out. And even if he did, would you sign him at this point to what he would want as a new FA contract?
    I just don't see the FA option.. Might be better to just go with our own pitchers, including kids.. Bolster the bullpen to be a monster, add a free agent monster bat, target getting a lead in any way you can in early game and then power to victory or stay in the game somehow and come back later innings. It might not be a bad way to go..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

I just wish there were real aces coming into FA.
    With about $50M/yr in payroll under the cap and so much young talent, I could see us getting a big impact bat, another bat and a stud pitcher. We'd be unstoppable for the foreseeable future.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    1. What legitimate ace is going to be on the market? I'd much rather see the Yankees get a 2/3 or even a 3/4 for less.
    2. But it's not just about this year. Cashman himself has said he wants championships. Plural. He's not going to shove on this season if it means their window closes sooner.
    3. How many wanted Sanchez, Judge, or Severino traded? A lot, and it's a damn good thing Cashman didn't. Trust the system it's working
    4. No
    I agree completely with your #2, and my solution would be to sign Machado for the long term. Just because you don't like it, you can't pretend that it's not a legitimate solution.

Bum knees bad attitude blah blah blah...Ö.Machado is a 5+ WAR player.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    If there was a good pitcher hitting the market, I'd agree with you. But who is?
    IT seems like there are two ways to get an ace on your roster: Develop or trade prospects.

Plus, wrong side of 30 aces tend to have very high mileage and are big risks- bigger than an out fielder or something.
    Richards of the Angels.

His big bug-a-boo is injuries. But when he's healthy, he's close to an ace.

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Richards of the Angels.

His big bug-a-boo is injuries. But when he's healthy, he's close to an ace.
    You really want to give him a 5 year deal? He'll be 31 next season. He pitched less than 35 innings in 2017 and 2016.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Bag302 View Post
    Agree. I was all for resetting the lux tax and the Yankees did an admirable job building a contender while doing so, but going forward, I want them to spend. Spend smartly, but SPEND and turn this team into an overpowered Juggernaut and deliver us multiple championships.
    I think you are going to be disappointed - Hal has stated that he sees no reason that the Yankees salary budget needs to be excessively high. From a NY Post article last year:

As I have said many times, a team shouldnít need a $200-plus-million dollar payroll to win championships,Ē Hal Steinbrenner, the Yankeesí managing general partner, wrote to The Postís George A. King III in an email Monday. ďI have also indicated for many years my desire to bring payroll down close to or under the [luxury tax] threshold level. I would not attempt to do that, however, at the expense of fielding a competitive team.Ē
    I left the last sentence in, as he has indicated that he is willing to go over the CBT threshold to field a competitive team.

I interpret the above to mean that, while he is willing to spend money, he is not going to go crazy and put the Yankees immediately back in the CBT situation that has existed until this year. In other words, I don't see him signing Harper, Machado and Kershaw in the off-season and taking the salary budget to $300M after getting back under the CBT threshold.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

I don't think anyone is expecting $300M, but I'm certainly expecting $250M ish within the 3 few years (once the guys like Judge get factored in).

The reality of it is the Yankees are at a payroll disadvantage because of insane NYS taxes and NYC taxes on top of cost of living, especially now that state and local taxes aren't deductible from federal wages.

Basically, add about $20M to our payroll just to be competitive with most other states. $225M is like the Astros spending about $195M

Thread Information