View Poll Results: Which Hypothetical 3B Trade Would You Make?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trade Drury for a #3 starter, stick with Andujar for hopefully the next decade+

23 53.49%
  • Trade Andujar for a #1, give Drury 3B, and hope he produces like they believe he's capable

20 46.51%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Re: Trading a 3B Hypothetical

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    who are these hypothetical #1 & #3 that are available for Andujar or Drury?
    Has any pitcher officially been made available? Everyone is "available" for the right price. Torres and Judge can get us any player in MLB we want.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Today from Yankee beat reporter Brendan Kuty:

Reese Masi
    @reese_masi
    If Mets were willing to trade, could Andujar become the center of a big trade package for deGrom and yanks make a run for Machado during free agency?
    4:46 PM - Jun 10, 2018
    See Reese Masi's other Tweets
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    The center? Eh. No. For a second I thought it was a hard no but its more like a firm no. Miguel Andujar has been quite good but hes not trade-your-ace-for-him good. Not even if you add a couple other big pieces. Honestly, would you consider Andujar the center of a deal that would include Justus Sheffield or Estevan Florial? Probably not. Hed be the secondary piece there, probably. So, no, you probably start with Gleyber Torres and go a few rungs from there before you get to Andujar.
    https://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf...rom_clint.html

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by tranquility View Post

So dumb. Andj is the secondary piece in a Florial trade?
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF HOF

Good question, after much vacillation, keep Adj and trade Drury.

In the really, real world I don't think Andujar nets Bumgarner/DeGrom. Perhaps Jays would listen in regards to Happ as Donaldson is likely gone after the season as well.
    NYYFans FBBL: Babe's Blasts

RIP Pete Cheng; the commish will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post

Depends on how much weight one assigns to the 58 MLB games of Miguel Andujar's 596-game professional career.

Estevan Florial, who is two years and nine months younger than Andujar, was the higher ranked prospect entering this season.

I've thought about this quite a bit recently. Ideally, you keep Andujar and make the move for a pitcher without a having to give him up.

If you can get that pitcher by moving him though, and no other way, there's quite a few options available to NY.

Play Drury or Walker at 3B for the rest of the year, sign Machado in FA.
    Go forward with Drury at 3B.
    Walker is also an option for the remainder of the season if you need to move Drury.
    Torres can play 3B and you solve for 2B going forward.

NYYF Legend

Depends on how much weight one assigns to the 58 MLB games of Miguel Andujar's 596-game professional career.

Estevan Florial, who is two years and nine months younger than Andujar, was the higher ranked prospect entering this season.
    Considering statcast data is actually showing he's unperforming his batting profile, and is 6th best offensive 3B in the major leagues. I imagine a lot of teams are weighing that quite highly compared to a player who struggled in A+ and just underwent surgery.

Just think about how much that is worth. For instance, the Mariners are paying Kyle Seager 19m this season and $57.5M in future years to be real bad offensively.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

What in the world. lol Mets would do cartwheels if they had that package. Andujar would immediately become their best player. Right there with Cespedes.

Honestly, would you consider Andujar the center of a deal that would include Justus Sheffield or Estevan Florial? Probably not. He’d be the secondary piece there, probably.

Wtfff. Andujar's hit tool is years ahead of Florial's whose suspect bat on ball ability may doom him. That's not even considering the fact hes 2+ years away.

NYYF MVP

Considering statcast data is actually showing he's unperforming his batting profile, and is 6th best offensive 3B in the major leagues. I imagine a lot of teams are weighing that quite highly compared to a player who struggled in A+ and just underwent surgery.

Just think about how much that is worth. For instance, the Mariners are paying Kyle Seager 19m this season and $57.5M in future years to be real bad offensively.
    lol it's pretty disingenuous to say that Andujar is underperforming his batting profile and mention Kyle Seager (and his .238 BABIP). Seager is worth 20 million a season because he has a track record of hitting around .260 with 25 home runs to go along with elite defense. He's a damn good baseball player.

With that said, I agree with your general hypothesis that Andujar can be EXTREMELY valuable if he continues playing at his current clip, but we should be pretty satisfied if he could manage average defense with Seager's established offensive baseline from the last 6 years. The average defense part is no guarantee, though, and he's also going to have to be more selective at the plate.

Reese Masi
    @reese_masi
    If Mets were willing to trade, could Andujar become the center of a big trade package for deGrom and yanks make a run for Machado during free agency?
    4:46 PM - Jun 10, 2018
    See Reese Masi's other Tweets
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    The center? Eh. No. For a second I thought it was a hard no but it’s more like a firm no. Miguel Andujar has been quite good but he’s not trade-your-ace-for-him good. Not even if you add a couple other big pieces. Honestly, would you consider Andujar the center of a deal that would include Justus Sheffield or Estevan Florial? Probably not. He’d be the secondary piece there, probably. So, no, you probably start with Gleyber Torres and go a few rungs from there before you get to Andujar.

That's a perfectly reasonable response...if this is dated from 3 months ago.

I'm not even the biggest Andujar supporter, but how can you ignore how good he's hit at the MLB level as a 23 year old? There are maybe 3 or 4 guys in all of the minors that have more trade value than him. There's no way Sheff or Florial are close to that range.

But yes, the Mets still wouldn't do it because they're too damn stubborn.

Yankees your 27 time WS Champs MyBoysKaosHavoK's Avatar

Keep Andujar..

Andujar has a chance to be an elite hitter. Drury is a mediocre hitter.....
    In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King......

No doubt. However, quoting those fangraphs ones just make no sense. They are waaaaaaay terrible.
    Not going to disagree there.

IMO Andujar is more valuable than a starter. Pitching is just too fragile.
    #HarperWatch

NYYF Legend

Kuty should stick to posting the lineup and making corny during rain delays. Hes not a talent evaluator.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

If you could get a #1 for Andujar you get a jet plane to take him there.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Rob035 View Post
    That's a perfectly reasonable response...if this is dated from 3 months ago.

I'm not even the biggest Andujar supporter, but how can you ignore how good he's hit at the MLB level as a 23 year old? There are maybe 3 or 4 guys in all of the minors that have more trade value than him. There's no way Sheff or Florial are close to that range.

But yes, the Mets still wouldn't do it because they're too damn stubborn.
    The bolded is where I am - I'm not even a proponent of the kid, let alone a big fan, but his results RIGHT NOW - both statistical and analytical - combined with pedigree can't be argued against without being either disingenuous, ignorant, or just plain stupid (often times beat writers are a combination of all three). If he doesn't go into a tailspin before the deadline he's got absolutely enormous value to legitimately get in on a conversation about virtully any player in the league that is on or around the market.

All you have to do is look at recent history and check who was "untouchable" for aces. There's a common theme of players who were in a very similar category to Andujar. Once a young hitter gets to the majors and rakes he's no longer a trade commodity, he's essentially above the market. This isn't to say how it's going to work out in the long run - I'm pretty sure the Cubs would rather have Gleyber over Schwarber right now, but the latter was untouchable in Chapman negotiations despite blowing his knee out because he was coming off a rookie year where he was hitting at the ML level.

The good thing is that Cashman (and every other GM) knows this, so jealous fans of other teams and uninformed beat writers have no bearing on what is actually going on behind the scenes. Andujar almost assuredly won't be traded because his value is too high at this point.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DaBliz View Post
    lol it's pretty disingenuous to say that Andujar is underperforming his batting profile and mention Kyle Seager (and his .238 BABIP). Seager is worth 20 million a season because he has a track record of hitting around .260 with 25 home runs to go along with elite defense.He's a damn good baseball player.
    Meh. He was a great baseball player. He's been pretty meh offensively for a while now. Getting murdered via shift. I wouldn't touch that contract he has.

Andj wOBA - xwOBA
    0.372 - 0.385

Seager wOBA - xwOBA
    0.298 - 0.337
    Calmer than you are

Meh. He was a great baseball player. He's been pretty meh offensively for a while now. Getting murdered via shift. I wouldn't touch that contract he has.

Andj wOBA - xwOBA
    0.372 - 0.385

Seager wOBA - xwOBA
    0.298 - 0.337
    ZiPS, Steamer and FanGraphs Depth Charts project Kyle Seager with rest-of-season wRC+/WAR of 112/2.2, 107/1.7 and 109/1.9 in 92, 88 and 91 games, respectively.

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...85&position=3B

ZiPS, Steamer and FanGraphs Depth Charts project Miguel Andujar with rest-of-season wRC+/WAR of 102/0.9, 102/0.8 and 102/1.0 in 85, 81 and 86 games, respectively.

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...78&position=3B

I initially suspected a typo when I read that Andujar has a negative 8 Defensive Runs Saved and a UZR/150 of a negative 31.2 in 428 innings at third base this year:

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...eldingadvanced

Seager has posted 13.6 fWAR, valued at $108 million, less than halfway through his seven-year, $100 million contract. The typical diminishing returns loom on the long-term contract .. just not at the Jacoby Ellsbury level.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jeterrules View Post
    If you could get a #1 for Andujar you get a jet plane to take him there.
    Even if Sheffield and Frazier were in the vehicle with him.
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

NYYF Legend

ZiPS, Steamer and FanGraphs Depth Charts project Kyle Seager with rest-of-season wRC+/WAR of 112/2.2, 107/1.7 and 109/1.9 in 92, 88 and 91 games, respectively.

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...85&position=3B

ZiPS, Steamer and FanGraphs Depth Charts project Miguel Andujar with rest-of-season wRC+/WAR of 102/0.9, 102/0.8 and 102/1.0 in 85, 81 and 86 games, respectively.

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...78&position=3B

I initially suspected a typo when I read that Andujar has a negative 8 Defensive Runs Saved and a UZR/150 of a negative 31.2 in 428 innings at third base this year:

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...eldingadvanced

Seager has posted 13.6 fWAR, valued at $108 million, less than halfway through his seven-year, $100 million contract. The typical diminishing returns loom on the long-term contract .. just not at the Jacoby Ellsbury level.
    Again...you keep breaking out these terrible projections as if it means anything. They were wrong by a whole lot already, and they will continue to be so. How much would you like to bet Andujar has a higher wRC+ than Seager by season's end? Let's say $200?
    Calmer than you are

Again...you keep breaking out these terrible projections as if it means anything. They were wrong by a whole lot already, and they will continue to be so. How much would you like to bet Andujar has a higher wRC+ than Seager by season's end? Let's say $200?

Why would anyone propose a bet to an anonymous poster? I'll never get that.

FWIW, I don't bet (beyond investment choices and other life decisions).

Peace be with you, my friend.

NYYF Legend

Why are we still mentioning going after Machado for third base? He has stated many times he will only play SS.

Yogi Buck

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Why are we still mentioning going after Machado for third base? He has stated many times he will only play SS.
    I have read that he wants to play SS. Could you please post the link to where it says he would not play 3b for the possible world champion Yankees?

Not saying you aren't correct, just want to see it.

Also, Didi is not as much an untouchable as he was a couple months ago.

All that said, in my mind there, ain't no way Hal is paying Machado that kind of money. People who think he is going to just blow away the cap, one year after getting under are gonna be disappointed.
    [B]WARNING![/B] This post may be offensive to little girly men or women with soft feelings.

Never [B]argue with an idiot[/B]. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ27 View Post
    Even if Sheffield and Frazier were in the vehicle with him.

I would not do all 3 of them unless we are talking a legit ace. My point was to the poster that said Andujar for a #1 and if it was him alone i would drive him there.

But again we are talking legit #1 but for those 3 it would have to be a Chris Sale type and i do not see any of those out there.

Which goes back to the point f we could have got Chris Sale for less then that package which still makes me shake my head how we didnt match that offer.

But Frazier could go along with Andujar for a #1 and i would not have a problem with it at all but gutting those 3 it would take a legit Chris Sale type and i do not see any out there.

Quote Originally Posted by budstinks View Post
    I have read that he wants to play SS. Could you please post the link to where it says he would not play 3b for the possible world champion Yankees?

Not saying you aren't correct, just want to see it.

Also, Didi is not as much an untouchable as he was a couple months ago.

All that said, in my mind there, ain't no way Hal is paying Machado that kind of money. People who think he is going to just blow away the cap, one year after getting under are gonna be disappointed.
    We are $16 million under the cap this year and we have ~$48 million coming off the books. Factoring in raises for arb players, there's likely room to add Machado and a SP and still stay under the cap in 2019. It'll get tricky down the road, but it can surely be done.

We've slashed payroll to get to this point -which I've been perfectly fine with. Now that we are in the cusp of creating a dynasty, I expect Hal to open the checkbook and push this team over the top.

Thread Information