+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Let's Go Islanders! 2018-2019!

Still in the hunt for the Division. What can happen with real coaches running things.

Playoffs, baby

NYYF Legend

So the Isles were predicted to be a bottom 5 team. Instead, 2nd place, home ice for the first time in 31 years and their second ever Jennings Trophy. Shows you what having a real coaching staff can do. And more points than the Leafs. A great regular season.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    So the Isles were predicted to be a bottom 5 team. Instead, 2nd place, home ice for the first time in 31 years and their second ever Jennings Trophy. Shows you what having a real coaching staff can do. And more points than the Leafs. A great regular season.
    Yeah, to be honest I never bought into the pundits' "bottom 5" stuff. Not that I ever imagined they'd do this well, but .... I don't think the pundits ever really understood just how bad the coaching was here the last several years.

I have a friend who ran into Stan Fischler during the Doug Weight year and she asked Stan why he thought the Islanders were doing so poorly. He kind of looked around to see if anyone was listening and then whispered loudly, "the coaching SUCKS!"

Once they got Trotz & Co., I figured even without Tavares, maybe a sturdy run at a playoff spot and falling just short. Obviously they did much more.

NYYF Legend

They went from giving up the most goals to giving up the least in one season. Had not happened in 100 years.

NYYF Cy Young

Does anyone else see the exact opposite between the Islanders and Yankees? Yankees get Boone and all we see is lethargy and laziness. Isles get Trotz and they go from pretty lousy to having this incredible energy. Itís amazing to see the two teams move in opposite directions for partially the same reason.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesrule View Post
    Does anyone else see the exact opposite between the Islanders and Yankees? Yankees get Boone and all we see is lethargy and laziness. Isles get Trotz and they go from pretty lousy to having this incredible energy. It’s amazing to see the two teams move in opposite directions for partially the same reason.
    Interesting thought. "Fish rots from the head" and all that. (The Isles also got a good goaltending coach, though. That helps.)

Great win tonight and a game that probably would have been a series crusher if they had lost it under the circumstances. Giving up the tying goal with a minute left and then Bailey clanging the post with 5 seconds left, would have been a tough loss to bounce back from.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Interesting thought. "Fish rots from the head" and all that. (The Isles also got a good goaltending coach, though. That helps.)

Great win tonight and a game that probably would have been a series crusher if they had lost it under the circumstances. Giving up the tying goal with a minute left and then Bailey clanging the post with 5 seconds left, would have been a tough loss to bounce back from.
    Goaltending coach, pitching coach...

Though itís more than just goal-tending (although thatís a HUGE part of it). Just the energy all around with capuano and weight being so forgiving- they were always a bit sloppy and that just stopped this year.

And yeah, between the blowing the lead and the puck off the post, not to mention that goal in the first 30 seconds being reversed... They had some pretty bad luck and losing yesterday would have been pretty awful just for the team and fan psyche.

NYYF Legend

Goaltending coach, pitching coach...

Though itís more than just goal-tending (although thatís a HUGE part of it). Just the energy all around with capuano and weight being so forgiving- they were always a bit sloppy and that just stopped this year.

And yeah, between the blowing the lead and the puck off the post, not to mention that goal in the first 30 seconds being reversed... They had some pretty bad luck and losing yesterday would have been pretty awful just for the team and fan psyche.
    The refs were horrible. Pens could have been called for 6 penalties in the third period. But they call one on Lee for doing nothing. But I had a great time last night at the Coliseum. Hopefully we can go 2 up tomorrow.

NYYF Legend

Well, yeah, Trotz introduced them to the concept of forcing the attacking skaters toward the flanks and away from the slot. Crappy Cappy never quite got the hang of that not-so-revolutionary idea.

NYYF Legend

For a team that has had mountains of bad luck over the last 25 years we really got lucky last spring. First the Leafs let Lou go so he ends up our GM. Then for some reason the Caps drop their Stanley Cup winning coach who then falls into our lap. And then Trotz gets the best Goalie coach on the planet to come to LI.

NYYF Legend

For a team that has had mountains of bad luck over the last 25 years we really got lucky last spring. First the Leafs let Lou go so he ends up our GM. Then for some reason the Caps drop their Stanley Cup winning coach who then falls into our lap. And then Trotz gets the best Goalie coach on the planet to come to LI.
    The "some reason" was the Caps don't like to pay their coaches a lot. Trotz made $1.5M last year and his contract called for just a small boost after winning the Cup. He isn't getting any younger and Ledecky was willing to pay him $4M+ per season, so here he is.

NYYF Legend

The "some reason" was the Caps don't like to pay their coaches a lot. Trotz made $1.5M last year and his contract called for just a small boost after winning the Cup. He isn't getting any younger and Ledecky was willing to pay him $4M+ per season, so here he is.
    Good for us. Just amazing that Caps would not want to raise his salary after winning the Cup.

That was awesome

NYYF Legend

The perfect game ... Their play in their own end was epic.

The Death Star is Sputtering Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

What a turnaround by this franchise after losing Johnny Pajamas this summer.

Poetic justice would be to go further than Toronto in these NHL playoffs.

If Columbus manages to upset TB, the Isles have as good a chance as anyone at winning it all. Lamoriello and Trotz have breathed life into this franchise again and I couldn’t be more excited!
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

As a Rangers fan who as of this time in my life doesnt hate the Isles (I am younger, wasnt around for the 70s/80s rivalry, has never seen our two teams play in big games) but absolutely loathes the Penguins, please finish the job and bury that team.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    What a turnaround by this franchise after losing Johnny Pajamas this summer.

Poetic justice would be to go further than Toronto in these NHL playoffs.

If Columbus manages to upset TB, the Isles have as good a chance as anyone at winning it all. Lamoriello and Trotz have breathed life into this franchise again and I couldnít be more excited!
    I know itís WAY too early to think about this, but a conference finals of NYI and Toronto, being able to personally eliminate Tavares would be amazing! Though the pressure to win would be through the roof... not sure if Iím rooting for that or not lol

NYYF Legend

Just one more win gets us to the next round. But the fourth win is always the toughest. Hope we can close out the Pens on Tuesday. And then root hard for a Carolina upset.

NYYF Legend

Just one more win gets us to the next round. But the fourth win is always the toughest. Hope we can close out the Pens on Tuesday. And then root hard for a Carolina upset.
    There's a reason I don't bet money on these games. I thought there was something like an 80% chance Penguins would win today but after what I saw, I don't think there's any way they win 4 straight (though again, won't bet money). Rampant individualism by the Pens in the offensive zone and I am WILDLY unimpressed by Murray in goal (that Eberle goal was ridiculous. Kudos to Jordan for threading that needle but Murray, you have to stop that).

I think the Canes will still make a series of it. The Caps were fortunate to get out of DC without a split.

NYYF Legend

Also, not to get ahead of things, but if they can finish off Pittsburgh they will have to leave "home" and play future rounds at the Fukdiddle Basketball Center at Atlantic Yards. Vomit.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    As a Rangers fan who as of this time in my life doesnt hate the Isles (I am younger, wasnt around for the 70s/80s rivalry, has never seen our two teams play in big games) but absolutely loathes the Penguins, please finish the job and bury that team.
    Co-signed by a Flyers fan.
    Jingoism is not Patriotism

NYYF Legend

Also, not to get ahead of things, but if they can finish off Pittsburgh they will have to leave "home" and play future rounds at the Fukdiddle Basketball Center at Atlantic Yards. Vomit.
    At Barclays center this season they were 12-6-2 as opposed to 12-7-2 at the Coliseum. And place will be just as loud as the Coliseum like at the 2016 playoffs. Looking forward to not having to travel two hours by train, bus and subway to get to the Coliseum.

Oh my god

NYYF Legend

Sweep the Pens. Bet no one saw that coming. And the Bolts gone too. Things are getting very interesting. Should Leafs and Canes win their series Isles will have home ice for the next two rounds.

Thread Information