+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 122
  1. #1

    The Yankees vs ESPN, and the Scheduling "Conspiracy"

    I couldn't find this being discussed on the forum anywhere so Ive started a thread on it. My mistake if this is redundant



    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...603-story.html


    If the Yankees are forced to play Sunday night on July 8, the Yankee management and players are said to be prepared for an all-out war with ESPN in which they will refuse all interviews – pre-game, in-game and postgame - with ESPN broadcasters.

    Long story short, ESPN picked up the Yanks' July 8 game with Toronto and moved it to 8pm prime time, even though the team has a double header with Baltimore the next day.
    Boone and the players seem unified against this, and Levine and Steinbrenner have been complaining at Manfred about it too.



    P.S. the conspiracy bit is a joke in reference to some other discussions elsewhere on the forum about the Yankees' other scheduling mishaps and misfortunes
    “Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.” – Yogi Berra

  2. #2
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: The Yankees vs ESPN, and the Scheduling "Conspiracy"

    It was mentioned in the "Regular Season" thread, here:
    http://www.nyyfansforum.com/showthre...=1#post8506994

    But maybe thread-worthy in its own right.

  3. #3
    2009 WORLD CHAMPIONS aeromac76's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Huntington, NY

    Re: The Yankees vs ESPN, and the Scheduling "Conspiracy"

    Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    I couldn't find this being discussed on the forum anywhere so Ive started a thread on it. My mistake if this is redundant



    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...603-story.html





    Long story short, ESPN picked up the Yanks' July 8 game with Toronto and moved it to 8pm prime time, even though the team has a double header with Baltimore the next day.
    Boone and the players seem unified against this, and Levine and Steinbrenner have been complaining at Manfred about it too.



    P.S. the conspiracy bit is a joke in reference to some other discussions elsewhere on the forum about the Yankees' other scheduling mishaps and misfortunes
    I don't disagree with the Yankees point of view at all here. Do I think there is some weird pro Red Sox and/or anti-Yankees conspiracy here? No, the weather is the weather, crappy luck. I don't even think the ESPN grab of that Yankees game before the DH is a big conspiracy, but it absolutely is galactically stupid.

    If ESPN would have grabbed the Sunday night game two weeks ago, then it is unlikely the Yankees agree to the doubleheader the day after. But the timing is epic. We agree to play a doubleheader and within 24 hours, a decision is made to change the schedule of a road game in a different city the day before to the worst possible time, short of playing at 2am. It's either a conspiracy or one of the dumbest decisions I have seen, there is no third choice.

    It calls into question the level of play we will be able to bring for the games, it calls into question the way we will be able to manage the pitching staff, and it raises potential injury concerns. In short, it raises a red flag about the integrity of the games being played, and in a divisional race this tight, that matters.
    The weather postponements cannot be helped, but this decision could have been made with common sense and can still be changed to contain some common sense.

    In either event, if I am the Yankees and nothing changes, I do my best possible protest. The ESPN Sunday night games come with a huge amount of bells and whistles, they always do. Interviews, some even in-game, little side stories, insider info etc etc.. If nothing changes, I'd shut all of it down. Let ESPN present the Toronto Blue Jays to the world. Show up, play the game, and leave. Don't do any media. The NY media will get it, they have the team every day so they'll get right back into it after. But close the clubhouse to anyone not affiliated with the team that day, lock the media out. It really would only punish the national media and ESPN. The NY guys will get right back in the next day..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

  4. #4
    NYYF Legend

    mbn007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY

    Re: The Yankees vs ESPN, and the Scheduling "Conspiracy"

    Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    I don't disagree with the Yankees point of view at all here. Do I think there is some weird pro Red Sox and/or anti-Yankees conspiracy here? No, the weather is the weather, crappy luck. I don't even think the ESPN grab of that Yankees game before the DH is a big conspiracy, but it absolutely is galactically stupid.

    If ESPN would have grabbed the Sunday night game two weeks ago, then it is unlikely the Yankees agree to the doubleheader the day after. But the timing is epic. We agree to play a doubleheader and within 24 hours, a decision is made to change the schedule of a road game in a different city the day before to the worst possible time, short of playing at 2am. It's either a conspiracy or one of the dumbest decisions I have seen, there is no third choice.

    It calls into question the level of play we will be able to bring for the games, it calls into question the way we will be able to manage the pitching staff, and it raises potential injury concerns. In short, it raises a red flag about the integrity of the games being played, and in a divisional race this tight, that matters.
    The weather postponements cannot be helped, but this decision could have been made with common sense and can still be changed to contain some common sense.

    In either event, if I am the Yankees and nothing changes, I do my best possible protest. The ESPN Sunday night games come with a huge amount of bells and whistles, they always do. Interviews, some even in-game, little side stories, insider info etc etc.. If nothing changes, I'd shut all of it down. Let ESPN present the Toronto Blue Jays to the world. Show up, play the game, and leave. Don't do any media. The NY media will get it, they have the team every day so they'll get right back into it after. But close the clubhouse to anyone not affiliated with the team that day, lock the media out. It really would only punish the national media and ESPN. The NY guys will get right back in the next day..
    Excellent suggestion.


    I really hope the Yankees do this, even though it will spoil their squeaky-clean image. I don't care. If MLB and ESPN don't care to do what's right, let them see a side of what teams can do to protest stupidity.

    There will be a heavy fine, but that should be a small matter to the Yankees deep pockets.

  5. #5

    Re: The Yankees vs ESPN, and the Scheduling "Conspiracy"

    ESPN is not scared because the old boss is still not around. Here is what would have happened if the Boss was around.


    Instead of Boone the BOSS would have flipped his cool. The boss would have ranted about how this is against his team and then after ranting he would have said fine but we won't be there. George really would have flipped and said that. It is not like he has not said that before he would have put the ball in there court instead of pleading with them he would have told ESPN and MLB if it is not changed we are not going to be there.


    What would ESPN DO? as is ESPN controls what is said during the game but what if no game? You know George would not care and i bet you 1000$ by the next day the game would be changed.


    But this is the new boss not the old boss so it will get moved i would guess but it will get spun as them doing us a favor when the Boss would have made them look silly in the papers.

  6. #6
    NYYF Legend

    kan_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Excellent suggestion.


    I really hope the Yankees do this, even though it will spoil their squeaky-clean image. I don't care. If MLB and ESPN don't care to do what's right, let them see a side of what teams can do to protest stupidity.

    There will be a heavy fine, but that should be a small matter to the Yankees deep pockets.
    It would make the league look very bad if they punish the Yankees for that. In addition, the only national media which would be hurt for the protest would be ESPN. Fox owns YES and they would side with the Yankees. The protest would give them plenty to talk about how terrible ESPN is.

  7. #7

    Re: The Yankees vs ESPN, and the Scheduling "Conspiracy"

    Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    I couldn't find this being discussed on the forum anywhere so Ive started a thread on it. My mistake if this is redundant



    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...603-story.html








    Long story short, ESPN picked up the Yanks' July 8 game with Toronto and moved it to 8pm prime time, even though the team has a double header with Baltimore the next day.
    Boone and the players seem unified against this, and Levine and Steinbrenner have been complaining at Manfred about it too.



    P.S. the conspiracy bit is a joke in reference to some other discussions elsewhere on the forum about the Yankees' other scheduling mishaps and misfortunes

    .........................................................................

  8. #8
    Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada's basement

    Re: The Yankees vs ESPN, and the Scheduling "Conspiracy"

    Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    I don't disagree with the Yankees point of view at all here. Do I think there is some weird pro Red Sox and/or anti-Yankees conspiracy here? No, the weather is the weather, crappy luck. I don't even think the ESPN grab of that Yankees game before the DH is a big conspiracy, but it absolutely is galactically stupid.

    If ESPN would have grabbed the Sunday night game two weeks ago, then it is unlikely the Yankees agree to the doubleheader the day after. But the timing is epic. We agree to play a doubleheader and within 24 hours, a decision is made to change the schedule of a road game in a different city the day before to the worst possible time, short of playing at 2am. It's either a conspiracy or one of the dumbest decisions I have seen, there is no third choice.

    It calls into question the level of play we will be able to bring for the games, it calls into question the way we will be able to manage the pitching staff, and it raises potential injury concerns. In short, it raises a red flag about the integrity of the games being played, and in a divisional race this tight, that matters.
    The weather postponements cannot be helped, but this decision could have been made with common sense and can still be changed to contain some common sense.

    In either event, if I am the Yankees and nothing changes, I do my best possible protest. The ESPN Sunday night games come with a huge amount of bells and whistles, they always do. Interviews, some even in-game, little side stories, insider info etc etc.. If nothing changes, I'd shut all of it down. Let ESPN present the Toronto Blue Jays to the world. Show up, play the game, and leave. Don't do any media. The NY media will get it, they have the team every day so they'll get right back into it after. But close the clubhouse to anyone not affiliated with the team that day, lock the media out. It really would only punish the national media and ESPN. The NY guys will get right back in the next day..
    Forget the game, I'd let ESPN know that the Yankees will ban them from the dugout and clubhouse for the remainder of the season...Which would effectively tell ESPN that Aaron Judge, Luis Severino, Gleyber Torres and Gary Sanchez will be off limits.

    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

  9. #9
    2009 WORLD CHAMPIONS aeromac76's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Huntington, NY

    Re: The Yankees vs ESPN, and the Scheduling "Conspiracy"

    Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Forget the game, I'd let ESPN know that the Yankees will ban them from the dugout and clubhouse for the remainder of the season...Which would effectively tell ESPN that Aaron Judge, Luis Severino, Gleyber Torres and Gary Sanchez will be off limits.

    I'm with you but I think we'd lose that fight...
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

  10. #10
    Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada's basement

    Re: The Yankees vs ESPN, and the Scheduling "Conspiracy"

    Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    I'm with you but I think we'd lose that fight...
    It can be used as leverage so that Manfred is pressed into action though. If the players were basing decisions on an outdated, or inaccurate schedule, then the MLBPA could become involved. If ESPN changed their mind after a scheduling conflict had been resolved, then they might in violation of an agreement.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

  11. #11

    Re: The Yankees vs ESPN, and the Scheduling "Conspiracy"

    Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    It can be used as leverage so that Manfred is pressed into action though. If the players were basing decisions on an outdated, or inaccurate schedule, then the MLBPA could become involved. If ESPN changed their mind after a scheduling conflict had been resolved, then they might in violation of an agreement.
    That's not the right way to handle it. Let the big boys talk it out as Manfred, Steinbrenner and ESPN's top dog will hash it out without all the emotional stuff being sprouted in this thread.

  12. #12
    NYYF Legend

    JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Still under the unfinished breezeway

    Re: The Yankees vs ESPN, and the Scheduling "Conspiracy"

    Not a lot of great games to choose from that day (including Yankees/Jays). The best game would be Dodgers/Angels.

    Perhaps cooler heads will prevail and make the correction to that game.


    In the mean time, media coverage needs to continue until this wrong is righted.



    (That said, I watched a bit of the Red Sox/Astros game last night on ESPN. Great coverage if you're interested in the College Softball World Series. They spent the entire time I watch talking about that)
    Do not fear, all we want to do is talk.

    Only words, and then your thoughts.

  13. #13
    Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada's basement

    Re: The Yankees vs ESPN, and the Scheduling "Conspiracy"

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    That's not the right way to handle it. Let the big boys talk it out as Manfred, Steinbrenner and ESPN's top dog will hash it out without all the emotional stuff being sprouted in this thread.
    Not sure you understand what I'm saying. The Yankees need to start leveraging the situation. That's what will compel Manfred to the table should ESPN ignore the Yankees' request.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

  14. #14
    2009 WORLD CHAMPIONS aeromac76's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Huntington, NY

    Re: The Yankees vs ESPN, and the Scheduling "Conspiracy"

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Not a lot of great games to choose from that day (including Yankees/Jays). The best game would be Dodgers/Angels.

    Perhaps cooler heads will prevail and make the correction to that game.


    In the mean time, media coverage needs to continue until this wrong is righted.



    (That said, I watched a bit of the Red Sox/Astros game last night on ESPN. Great coverage if you're interested in the College Softball World Series. They spent the entire time I watch talking about that)
    While true that the games for that day are less than appetizing across the board, it should not matter. I don't care if we were playing the Mets or Red Sox, when the schedule adjuster looks and sees that a team has a double header scheduled the next day in a different city, common sense has to prevail. At the very least, if they are desperate to get that game to the Sunday night schedule, the Yankees should be given a chance then to reschedule the makeup games/DH the next day..

    A few teams have complained about being scheduled for Sunday nighters when having to play the Patriots' day game in Fenway the next day.. which is actually an 11am start.. Makes zero sense.. (not to mention the Red Sox benefit from that as well..)
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

  15. #15

    Re: The Yankees vs ESPN, and the Scheduling "Conspiracy"

    This is mildly ridiculous but George would be proud!

  16. #16
    Hope is eternal
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: The Yankees vs ESPN, and the Scheduling "Conspiracy"

    Was it wrong for ESPN to move the game AFTER the Baltimore game was rescheduled as a DH the next day? Absolutely. Yanks need to do all they can to fight it. Do I think this is some vast Red Sox supporter ESPN deep conspiracy theory get the Yankees? Good God no.
    Trading insults is a waste of time. Persuade why someone should see your point.

  17. #17
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: The Yankees vs ESPN, and the Scheduling "Conspiracy"

    It's all about the timing. ESPN claims they planned to pick this game all along so why not announce it a month ago? Maybe they could just tell the Orioles the DH has to be on a different date. That could sort of solve the problem too. Since it was going to be a single admission DH it should not be a big deal to change the date to Tuesday or Wedensday that week.

  18. #18
    NYYF Legend

    smckdwn989's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    58.77 Miles From The Stadium

    Re: The Yankees vs ESPN, and the Scheduling "Conspiracy"

    Angels vs Dodgers is that weekend, if they want to tell me that's not more compelling than Yankees Bluejays, then they are full of it.

  19. #19
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: The Yankees vs ESPN, and the Scheduling "Conspiracy"

    Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    Angels vs Dodgers is that weekend, if they want to tell me that's not more compelling than Yankees Bluejays, then they are full of it.

    I can not remember an ESPN Sunday game ever from Toronto. Besides if Othani pitches I would think more people would be interested in that game.

  20. #20
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: The Yankees vs ESPN, and the Scheduling "Conspiracy"

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Was it wrong for ESPN to move the game AFTER the Baltimore game was rescheduled as a DH the next day? Absolutely. Yanks need to do all they can to fight it. Do I think this is some vast Red Sox supporter ESPN deep conspiracy theory get the Yankees? Good God no.

    Maybe not but you have wonder when ESPN makes the announcement the day after the Yankees and O's agree to the DH. And in a city where ESPN never does a Sunday Night game from.

  21. #21

    Re: The Yankees vs ESPN, and the Scheduling "Conspiracy"

    Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Not sure you understand what I'm saying. The Yankees need to start leveraging the situation. That's what will compel Manfred to the table should ESPN ignore the Yankees' request.
    I understood what you were saying and when the Yankees do that then they will start to compile an enemies list with Manfred and ESPN at the top of the listing. No good will come out of that strategy.

  22. #22

    Re: The Yankees vs ESPN, and the Scheduling "Conspiracy"

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Maybe not but you have wonder when ESPN makes the announcement the day after the Yankees and O's agree to the DH. And in a city where ESPN never does a Sunday Night game from.
    People who believe in conspiracy theories might wonder about such things.

  23. #23
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: The Yankees vs ESPN, and the Scheduling "Conspiracy"

    Boo Hoo, we're to good and popular that TV wants to put us in primetime. Wah,wah.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  24. #24
    Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada's basement

    Re: The Yankees vs ESPN, and the Scheduling "Conspiracy"

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I understood what you were saying and when the Yankees do that then they will start to compile an enemies list with Manfred and ESPN at the top of the listing. No good will come out of that strategy.
    1/2 If that's what it takes to prevent ..


    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Boo Hoo, we're to good and popular that TV wants to put us in primetime. Wah,wah.
    2/2 ..the Yankees from having to play THREE GAMES in 27 hours? Yeah, I'm OK with the Yankees doing whatever they can to discourage it from happening.

    Sounds like it's been leaked that's what they're prepared to do.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

  25. #25
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: The Yankees vs ESPN, and the Scheduling "Conspiracy"

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Boo Hoo, we're to good and popular that TV wants to put us in primetime. Wah,wah.
    I don't think you are fully understanding the situation.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts