+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: The Yankees vs ESPN, and the Scheduling "Conspiracy"

Jason Mastrodonato

Verified account

@JMastrodonato

Alex Cora just now: "If they do that, then sometime down the road when somebody has to do it too, it’s going to come up, and if they do it for one team they have to do it for everybody."

Bunch of whining already coming from Redsox manager.

@Jared_Carrabis
    Follow Follow @Jared_Carrabis
    More Jared Carrabis Retweeted Pete Caldera
    I guess if teams complain enough, they can just make their own schedules now. Unreal. Should just let them play every game at home and use metal bats, too. Where does it end? Disgusting.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...605-story.html

ESPN is replacing with Dodgers Angels.
    Great news.

NYYF Legend

If Othani ends up pitching that game ESPN will get higher ratings than the Yankees game.

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    @Jared_Carrabis
    Follow Follow @Jared_Carrabis
    More Jared Carrabis Retweeted Pete Caldera
    I guess if teams complain enough, they can just make their own schedules now. Unreal. Should just let them play every game at home and use metal bats, too. Where does it end? Disgusting.
    Who is this clown? Does he not understand baseball logistics?
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

NYYF Legend

Jason Mastrodonato

Verified account

@JMastrodonato

Alex Cora just now: "If they do that, then sometime down the road when somebody has to do it too, it’s going to come up, and if they do it for one team they have to do it for everybody."

Doesn't Cora understand it's not the ESPN game. It's that the DH was scheduled first. Had ESPN announced this game before the rain out then the DH would probably have been scheduled two nights later and there is no issue.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Doesn't Cora understand it's not the ESPN game. It's that the DH was scheduled first. Had ESPN announced this game before the rain out then the DH would probably have been scheduled two nights later and there is no issue.
    I'm pretty certain there isn't a clubhouse in baseball that would argue the Yankees' position was an unreasonable one.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Thankfully. i am sure there was some arm-twisting of ESPN by someone on the Baseball side.
    There's little doubt that Manfred got involved.
    God, I love Yankee fans as they're never satisfied!

Good, cooler heads and common sense prevails.
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Speaking of the Mother ship, Who is your favorite ESPN commentator? Or who do you hate the least in most cases?
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

Jason Mastrodonato

Verified account

@JMastrodonato

Wow. He needs to shut up.. Was not the ESPN game, was the double header scheduled before it. Yankees position very reasonable..

Seriously the whole problem was that ESPN decided to make it a SNB game AFTER the double-header was scheduled. If they pick the game up for SNB before that thid isn't an issue, because the DH is scheduled differently.

Being against this change is just being a hack
    You’re inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.’- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

NYYF Legend

This was just an issue of common sense.........
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    Seriously the whole problem was that ESPN decided to make it a SNB game AFTER the double-header was scheduled. If they pick the game up for SNB before that thid isn't an issue, because the DH is scheduled differently.

Being against this change is just being a hack
    Exactly, and what's more, they scheduled it like the day after the doubleheader was scheduled. It just had a bad optic. But, that's under the bridge now, the right decision was made.

As for Cora and the Red Sox, I doubt they are in any rush to play 3 games in 24 hours. But if they want to be guaranteed that they won't have any times on their schedule that have them playing a night game before a doubleheader in a different city, then I doubt anyone would kick up a fuss to disagree. Given what the schedule has done for them so far this year they are the last team that ought to be complaining..

I don't think there's anything sinister about it. Yankees = ratings and that's all ESPN cares about.

For my part, I must not follow things closely enough, but I had no idea ESPN had that much weight in deciding when teams played. Shouldn't come as a huge surprise since I follow football closely and kick times are largely determined by which network picks up your game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmg32 View Post
    I don't think there's anything sinister about it. Yankees = ratings and that's all ESPN cares about.

For my part, I must not follow things closely enough, but I had no idea ESPN had that much weight in deciding when teams played. Shouldn't come as a huge surprise since I follow football closely and kick times are largely determined by which network picks up your game.
    From what I understand, ESPN reserves the right for several Sundays a year to "pick" the game they wish to show. In other words, they have some flex privileges.

In essence, there are several games that are immediately scheduled as Sunday night games right off the bat. But there are a lot of "open" dates at the start of the season, and as the season goes on, ESPN can pick from a given set of games available to them on certain Sundays and "flex" it from it's original afternoon start time to the 8pm Sunday night broadcast..

Normally, this happens quietly as it is part of the CBA and teams know about the potential start time change..

The problem here is that the Yankees were not informed of ESPN picking their game against the Blue Jays to be moved to the prime time position until after they had already scheduled a doubleheader the day after. From the Yankees perspective, if they knew they had the Sunday night game in Toronto, they would not have agreed to a doubleheader the next day in Baltimore.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    With travel that includes getting through customs.

"The saddest thing in life is wasted talent"

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by dannyyankou View Post
    Bench Judge, Gleyber, Stanton, and Sanchez. Let’s see how the ratings do.

I like that idea. Pull a Popovich on ESPN

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    Who is this clown? Does he not understand baseball logistics?

Red Sox writer/podcaster for Barstool Sports

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    Speaking of the Mother ship, Who is your favorite ESPN commentator? Or who do you hate the least in most cases?

That fat ginger is OK

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    From what I understand, ESPN reserves the right for several Sundays a year to "pick" the game they wish to show. In other words, they have some flex privileges.

In essence, there are several games that are immediately scheduled as Sunday night games right off the bat. But there are a lot of "open" dates at the start of the season, and as the season goes on, ESPN can pick from a given set of games available to them on certain Sundays and "flex" it from it's original afternoon start time to the 8pm Sunday night broadcast..

Normally, this happens quietly as it is part of the CBA and teams know about the potential start time change..

The problem here is that the Yankees were not informed of ESPN picking their game against the Blue Jays to be moved to the prime time position until after they had already scheduled a doubleheader the day after. From the Yankees perspective, if they knew they had the Sunday night game in Toronto, they would not have agreed to a doubleheader the next day in Baltimore.
    Personally, I think the Red Sox should be given a schedule of playing a day night DH in Oakland with the night game being picked up by ESPN, then the Patriot's Day game the next day - then Cora should be asked his opinion.

And, BTW - the Red Sox can benefit from this situation. Should a similar situation present, there is now precedence to cite.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Personally, I think the Red Sox should be given a schedule of playing a day night DH in Oakland with the night game being picked up by ESPN, then the Patriot's Day game the next day - then Cora should be asked his opinion.

And, BTW - the Red Sox can benefit from this situation. Should a similar situation present, there is now precedence to cite.
    Ya know the Patriots day game always irked me.. Wonder what history is there.. Teams have to travel into Boston to play an 11am start, and I bet most of the time the Sox are home Sunday just waiting..

Unless it is a wrap around series, which I think it was this year.. Wonder what the history is, and just don't have time to look..

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    They’re probably required to do dugout interviews and such. If they’re not, and they don’t, ESPN isn’t going to lose any sleep over it.
    They have some flexibility, I remember one team refused interviews with any coaches and had an off=day starter do the interview. Of course, they could have changed the contract since then.
    Last edited by theDurk; 06-06-18 at 06:00 PM.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    Ya know the Patriots day game always irked me.. Wonder what history is there.. Teams have to travel into Boston to play an 11am start, and I bet most of the time the Sox are home Sunday just waiting..

Unless it is a wrap around series, which I think it was this year.. Wonder what the history is, and just don't have time to look..
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say it is usually done as a wraparound.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Calls a tool a tool

Couple things:

1. Why did the Yankees agree to a twinighter on the day after a travel day in the first place? Would it not be better to have the DH in the middle day of the series, regardless of the Sunday game time?

2. Looked at the Yanks and Sox schedules. We actually got a slightly easier schedule. Both get 19 games against each divisional opponent for a total of 76 games, so equal there. There are 66 other league games against 10 teams. That's 6 games against each club (60 games), plus 1 additional game against 6 of the 10 clubs. The 6 teams we play a 7th game against are Hou Tex Cle Min KC and Det. The 6 teams the Sox play a 7th game against are Hou Tex Cle Min Chi and Sea. So the difference is we play KC and Det a 7th time, and they play Sea and Chi a 7th time. Our non divisional games are then ever so slightly easier. The last 20 are the interleague games, where our schedule is also easier. We get the mets for 6 and Atl for 3, they get the Mets for 3 and Atl for 6. Both get the marlins for 4. We get Phi for 3 and wash for 4, they get Phi for 4 and Wash for 3.

Thread Information