+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: The Yankees vs ESPN, and the Scheduling "Conspiracy"

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    A dozen years earlier, 6-2-1 might have been Billy's record in bar fights over a similar stretch.
    He went undefeated in the Copacabana men's room.

Back to the schedule thing, ymike made a good compromise suggestion of possibly pushing the DH back until later in the Orioles series. But could Angelos step in and block that?

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    ...the Yankees from having to play THREE GAMES in 27 hours?
    ...in two different countries.
    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3
    I can't believe anyone thinks that ESPN is basing its business model on screwing the Yankees.
    We have members who think the weather and aircraft maintenance are both conspiracies to screw the Yankees. By comparison, casting aspersions on the ESPN business model seems pretty tame.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    ...in two different countries.
    1-1/2. It's only Canada.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

I gotta say itís been fun reading the words of those who once had to trek to and from school uphill in a snowstorm.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Didn't Rocky Colavito and and Gene Michael make appearances as pitchers during that double header run?
    Colavito was the winning pitcher in game one of the Sunday DH. Michael pitched in one of the DHs against the Angels but did not pitch very well.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Michael pitched in one of the DHs against the Angels but did not pitch very well.
    3 IP. Allowed 5 hits. No walks. Struck out 3. Zero earned runs.

OK, his WHIP is a little high, but we didn't know what that was back then. But if we had somebody today come out of the bullpen for three innings without giving up an earned run......I don't think we'd be saying "he didn't pitch very well."

Just sayin'.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

OK, his WHIP is a little high, but we didn't know what that was back then. But if we had somebody today come out of the bullpen for three innings without giving up an earned run......I don't think we'd be saying "he didn't pitch very well."

Just sayin'.
    5 unearned runs though. Four of them scoring on back-to-back doubles, one by light-hitting BUC Tom Egan who batted .116 that year in 43 ABs, one by pitcher Jim McGlothlin. He also allowed two singles in the inning and hit a batter.

He didn't pitch very well.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    5 unearned runs though. Four of them scoring on back-to-back doubles, one by light-hitting BUC Tom Egan who batted .116 that year in 43 ABs, one by pitcher Jim McGlothlin. He also allowed two singles in the inning and hit a batter.

He was the master of the hidden-ball trick, though.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post

Which is what I said.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Which is what I said.
    I was responding to Maynerd.

False equivalency!

No, wait...I guess it's not.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

What is amazing back then is that twi night DHs started at 5:30. So they played the entire first game and the second game went 19 innings and was stopped a little after 1 AM due to curfew. So 27 1/2 innings total in 7 1/2 hours.

Bench Judge, Gleyber, Stanton, and Sanchez. Letís see how the ratings do.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyyankou View Post
    Bench Judge, Gleyber, Stanton, and Sanchez. Letís see how the ratings do.
    Itís silly to think that ESPN bases its business model around shafting thenYankees. Itís even sillier for the Yankees to respond by basing their baseball model on shafting ESPN.

Itís silly to think that ESPN bases its business model around shafting thenYankees. Itís even sillier for the Yankees to respond by basing their baseball model on shafting ESPN.

I don't think most believe that ESPN is setting out to screw the Yankees. I certainly don't. However what is clear is that they do not care if they do..

It's like the pitcher who throws up and in. "I'm not trying to hit anyone, but if I do, it's part of the game." Well the opponent then has to take action, despite lack of intent, to hold the pitcher more responsible.

This is the same thing.. I don't think anyone at ESPN saw the Yankees schedule the doubleheader and say "oh wow, we got em now, let's screw them with a Sunday night game right before!!". However, intent or not, that IS what is happening, the Yankees are being tasked with a very unfair situation that could affect the outcome of the division and provides an unfair advantage to our opponents. Whether that was the intent or not is immaterial to me.. That is why I do feel like the Yankees should try to get it changed, and if not, then they should take adverse action..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    I don't think most believe that ESPN is setting out to screw the Yankees. I certainly don't. However what is clear is that they do not care if they do..

It's like the pitcher who throws up and in. "I'm not trying to hit anyone, but if I do, it's part of the game." Well the opponent then has to take action, despite lack of intent, to hold the pitcher more responsible.

This is the same thing.. I don't think anyone at ESPN saw the Yankees schedule the doubleheader and say "oh wow, we got em now, let's screw them with a Sunday night game right before!!". However, intent or not, that IS what is happening, the Yankees are being tasked with a very unfair situation that could affect the outcome of the division and provides an unfair advantage to our opponents. Whether that was the intent or not is immaterial to me.. That is why I do feel like the Yankees should try to get it changed, and if not, then they should take adverse action..
    Trying to change it is fine. Trying to strike back is silly. This is a decision ESPN gets to make. Those are the rules. MLB, and the Yankees, make money off the deal. Trying to sabotage the whole thing is childish and unprofessional.

Trying to change it is fine. Trying to strike back is silly. This is a decision ESPN gets to make. Those are the rules. MLB, and the Yankees, make money off the deal. Trying to sabotage the whole thing is childish and unprofessional.
    It depends on the level of protest.. I'd agree not showing up to the game and forfeiting it is childish and unprofessional and I would be totally against it.. But making it inconvenient for ESPN to produce a top notch broadcast after a lack of consideration, yeah, I don't have an issue with that...

It depends on the level of protest.. I'd agree not showing up to the game and forfeiting it is childish and unprofessional and I would be totally against it.. But making it inconvenient for ESPN to produce a top notch broadcast after a lack of consideration, yeah, I don't have an issue with that...
    You have a game scheduled. You try to win the game, period.

You have a game scheduled. You try to win the game, period.

Agree with that.. 100%... that's why I said you never even consider not showing up or anything drastic like that.. But there are a bunch of things that go into a national broadcast like that which do not have anything to do with winning the game and are solely for other purposes, such as entertainment aside from play on the field itself. I have no issue making a point by affecting those items..

I don't agree with your thinking 76. You resolve this issue by working with your business partner. Fans can get petty and think in those terms, but MLB, Yankees and ESPN need to resolve their issues without getting that petty. It's not good business.

There is a good chance that ESPN and the Yankees might be working closer together if the Disney and Fox merges with the YES network under ESPN's domain.

Agree with that.. 100%... that's why I said you never even consider not showing up or anything drastic like that.. But there are a bunch of things that go into a national broadcast like that which do not have anything to do with winning the game and are solely for other purposes, such as entertainment aside from play on the field itself. I have no issue making a point by affecting those items..
    Theyíre probably required to do dugout interviews and such. If theyíre not, and they donít, ESPN isnít going to lose any sleep over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I don't agree with your thinking 76. You resolve this issue by working with your business partner. Fans can get petty and think in those terms, but MLB, Yankees and ESPN need to resolve their issues without getting that petty. It's not good business.

There is a good chance that ESPN and the Yankees might be working closer together if the Disney and Fox merges with the YES network under ESPN's domain.
    I agree, you do have to work together and I hope (and think) that there are people working behind the scenes to solve this problem amicably and to everyone's satisfaction.

But if the position of ESPN/MLB is "too bad" then I don't think you just roll over and die.. Again, I am not advocating anything drastic here... but I would not act like everything is all right and business as usual either...

NYYF Legend

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...605-story.html

ESPN is replacing with Dodgers Angels.

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...605-story.html

ESPN is replacing with Dodgers Angels.
    Adults in the room took care of it.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Adults in the room took care of it.
    Thankfully. i am sure there was some arm-twisting of ESPN by someone on the Baseball side.

Thread Information