+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: The Yankees vs ESPN, and the Scheduling "Conspiracy"

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Boo Hoo, we're to good and popular that TV wants to put us in primetime. Wah,wah.

Well, it's not a thing to poo-poo in my opinion.. As of the moment, we will play 3 full baseball games within about a 28 hour span, with a flight in between games. That's a recipe for:

-exhausted players
    -bad baseball
    -injuries

At the least this probably means we are unable to put our best foot forward in at least one of these games. At the worst a key player goes down with an injury.. Either way it diminishes the integrity of the games and with a divisional race like we are in, could mean the difference between home field throughout the playoffs and being a WC winner with a coin flip game to begin things against an Ohtani or Paxton..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

NYYF Legend

Folks need to also remember that the Yankees have had 3 incidents with their travel this season - actually within the past 3 weeks. It is no guarantee that they even get out of Toronto in time to make the 1st game the next day.

Tongue in cheek comment - or is it???

Calls a tool a tool

Forfeit the game 1 minute before the start time. Let ESPN reprogram on short notice and take a hit from their sponsors.

NYYF Legend

Why can't they just change the date of the DH to the next day. That would solve part of the problem.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    I don't think you are fully understanding the situation.
    Yes I get it. It's not ideal and the Yanks are right to complain but seriously, they are MLB players they should be able to handle a night game followed by DH with a chartered flight in between.

The outrage from the fans is more what gets me.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Yes I get it. It's not ideal and the Yanks are right to complain but seriously, they are MLB players they should be able to handle a night game followed by DH with a chartered flight in between.

The outrage from the fans is more what gets me.
    You are underselling it. It's 3 full games in a 28hour period with travel in between. That doesn't happen.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

If ESPN switched to Dodgers/Angels Angels have the Monday off and Dodgers play that night at San Diego.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Sounds like it's been leaked that's what they're prepared to do.
    From the article:

ESPN has the All-Star selection show before the July 8 game broadcast, which is why the network targeted having the Yankees — though it is unclear if the fact the Yankees would throw a first pitch an hour later would get more people to the TV at 7 p.m. If the Yankees led into the selection show, it might goose ratings.
    Exactly. While I'm not ready to dive into conspiracy waters, ESPN's behavior through this whole thing has been ... odd. From the above to the claim that this was planned in December ... I understand why you don't announce then, on the off chance that the Yankees were going to disappoint this season. But since the 17-for-18 streak that idea has been out the window. Why keep it under your hat while teams are negotiating make-up dates?

At the very best, ESPN comes off as wildly incompetent.

Boo Hoo, we're to good and popular that TV wants to put us in primetime. Wah,wah.
    That's about the size of it.

We're a popular big market/global baseball team that receives ratings eyeballs. That's life, you have to deal with the bad along with the good.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    That's about the size of it.

We're a popular big market/global baseball team that receives ratings eyeballs. That's life, you have to deal with the bad along with the good.
    No. This isn't about that. It's about being made to play 3 games within a 27 hour window. The ball's in ESPN's court though.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

NYYF Legend

Don't worry folks. Randy Levine is ON this.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

You are underselling it. It's 3 full games in a 28hour period with travel in between. That doesn't happen.
    Itís hardly unprecedented. Teams used to play doubleheaders more often, including the day after a night game with travel in between.

I picked the 1976 team randomly. They played a night game at home on Tuesday, August 3, followed by a doubleheader in Milwaukee on Wednesday, August 4 (and that after a doubleheader on July 31).

Then they played a doubleheader at home on 9/22, followed by a night game on 9/23, after which they flew to Detroit for a doubleheader on 9/24.

Itís far from ideal. Itís not the greatest injustice ever.

NYYF Legend

Back in 1968 they played a twi night DH with the Tigers on a Friday where the second game ended as a 19 inning tie. So they played another DH that Sunday followed by DHs Monday and Tuesday against the Angels.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Back in 1968 they played a twi night DH with the Tigers on a Friday where the second game ended as a 19 inning tie. So they played another DH that Sunday followed by DHs Monday and Tuesday against the Angels.
    Mickey probably hit an after hours club after the Friday game too
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Mickey probably hit an after hours club after the Friday game too
    I think that is pretty much a given.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    It’s hardly unprecedented. Teams used to play doubleheaders more often, including the day after a night game with travel in between.

I picked the 1976 team randomly. They played a night game at home on Tuesday, August 3, followed by a doubleheader in Milwaukee on Wednesday, August 4 (and that after a doubleheader on July 31).

Then they played a doubleheader at home on 9/22, followed by a night game on 9/23, after which they flew to Detroit for a doubleheader on 9/24.

It’s far from ideal. It’s not the greatest injustice ever.
    All interesting "when men were men" stuff, but the game isn't played that way now and I'd still like to know how something purportedly planned since December suddenly gets sprung on you less than 24 hours after you've negotiated a DH for the ensuing day. Doesn't have to be the greatest injustice ever to be unjust.

(Should also note that in those days, teams usually carried 15 position players, as rotations were 4 guys and relievers hadn't been hyper-specialized to pitch to only 3 or 4 batters per appearance. Somewhat easier to absorb the doubleheaders that way.)

NYYF Legend

With travel that includes getting through customs.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

It’s hardly unprecedented. Teams used to play doubleheaders more often, including the day after a night game with travel in between.

It’s far from ideal. It’s not the greatest injustice ever.
    The fact you needed to go back to 1976 proves my point.

It's all moot. They are going to fix this.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Didn't Rocky Colavito and and Gene Michael make appearances as pitchers during that double header run?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    All interesting "when men were men" stuff, but the game isn't played that way now and I'd still like to know how something purportedly planned since December suddenly gets sprung on you less than 24 hours after you've negotiated a DH for the ensuing day. Doesn't have to be the greatest injustice ever to be unjust.

(Should also note that in those days, teams usually carried 15 position players, as rotations were 4 guys and relievers hadn't been hyper-specialized to pitch to only 3 or 4 batters per appearance. Somewhat easier to absorb the doubleheaders that way.)
    Obviously, things are different today. I just don't think it's as big a deal as it's being made out to be. It just sucks.

And while this doesn't apply to you, I can't believe anyone thinks that ESPN is basing its business model on screwing the Yankees.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

The fact you needed to go back to 1976 proves my point.

It's all moot. They are going to fix this.
    It's not that I needed to go back to 1976. I didn't look at any other years.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Didn't Rocky Colavito and and Gene Michael make appearances as pitchers during that double header run?
    They did indeed. Colavito got a win.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

And while this doesn't apply to you, I can't believe anyone thinks that ESPN is basing its business model on screwing the Yankees.
    Nahh, my best guess is they a) made a ratings decision a few weeks ago based on a questionable concept (putting the Yankees on will make more people watch the pregame show!); b) didn't bother to tell anyone at the time; c) went "uh-oh" when the Yankees and O's settled on July 9 for the DH; d) decided they'd better announce ASAP rather than wait any longer, hoping that might contain the damage; e) saw the sh!t was hitting the fan anyway; and f) are now trying to lie their way out of it with a leaky cover story (it's OK, we were gonna do this back in December!).

Totally a guess I admit but that timeline fits the profile of what a greedy but not smoothly run network might, just might, do.

They did indeed. Colavito got a win.
    The Yankees actually went 6-2-1 (the 1 being the 19-inning tie) during that stretch.

Nahh, my best guess is they a) made a ratings decision a few weeks ago based on a questionable concept (putting the Yankees on will make more people watch the pregame show!); b) didn't bother to tell anyone at the time; c) went "uh-oh" when the Yankees and O's settled on July 9 for the DH; d) decided they'd better announce ASAP rather than wait any longer, hoping that might contain the damage; e) saw the sh!t was hitting the fan anyway; and f) are now trying to lie their way out of it with a leaky cover story (it's OK, we were gonna do this back in December!).

Totally a guess I admit but that timeline fits the profile of what a greedy but not smoothly run network might, just might, do.
    That narrative sounds just about right. In addition to being greedy and not smoothly run, ESPN already bought the right to make these decisions unilaterally, so it never occurred to them that they should behave responsibly even in announcing it.

The Yankees actually went 6-2-1 (the 1 being the 19-inning tie) during that stretch.
    A dozen years earlier, 6-2-1 might have been Billy's record in bar fights over a similar stretch.

Thread Information