View Poll Results: Time to use the K-Zone to call balls and strikes

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES (We have the technology, time to use it)

43 76.79%
  • NO (I prefer the human element, good or bad)

13 23.21%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Time for a robo-ump to call balls and strikes, YAY or NAY?

I say the human element is antiquated with the emergence of technology like the K-Zone.

IMO its time to phase out the human-element and let the technology call balls and strikes.

Radical change, no doubt, but we have the technology to have a uniformed strike zone and its time to change with the times.

There's no more reason for fans at home to see when umpires are constantly MISSING IT one way or the other, when the K-Zone can get it right. Thats my opinion and it IS being discussed by MLB. Where do you stand on this issue?
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

NYYF Legend

Re: Time for a robe-ump to call balls and strikes, YAY or NAY?

I have advocated this for a long time now. There is no reason not to do this.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

Opps, the title should have been "ROBO-UP"

Can a Mod please edit robe to robo?

Thank You
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I have advocated this for a long time now. There is no reason not to do this.
    Its insane, we're watching these umpires game after game, calling balls strikes and strikes balls.

In the old days, before the K-Zone, you had no choice but to tolerate it and you could say it was purely subjective, but those days are LONG GONE. Now everyone watching at home can see how awful these calls are. Let the K-Zone call balls and strikes and no-one can complain. You can't complain with the technology.

Itís hard to believe how bad a handful of these umps are behind the plate.
    They are so inconsistent. One time a pitch in a certain location is called a strike,
    the next time itís a ball. Most players will adjust if the umpire is consistent. The
    way it is with these umpires, the players have no idea what will be called.

Quote Originally Posted by Murcer and Munson View Post
    It’s hard to believe how bad a handful of these umps are behind the plate.
    They are so inconsistent. One time a pitch in a certain location is called a strike,
    the next time it’s a ball. Most players will adjust if the umpire is consistent. The
    way it is with these umpires, the players have no idea what will be called.
    The fans either, none of us do. I always knew balls and strikes are subjective to a degree, when we're talking about the edges, and once upon a time we had no choice but to live with it, but NOT ANYMORE, now we have the technology to INSTANTLY call a ball a ball and a strike a strike, there is no reason to live with the subjectivity and inconsistency of the human element anymore.

The only reason to b*tch and moan about it now is the umpires union, but too bad, millions of Americans have been phased out by technology and the umpires didn't shed any tears, so welcome to the club.

Interesting that so far nobody has voted for the umps. That could change, but I think its an indication of just how bad they have been at calling balls and strikes. The K-Zone has really exposed just how bad.

I'm sorry, but anyone that doesn't want this and is okay with the human element, needs to get with the times. The human element is complete and utter garbage. These players have busted their asses their whole lives to make it to the major leagues and win a World Series and you want them to get their dreams ripped away by some moron umpire that can't do his job right? There is absolutely no argument that can be made to keep these idiots behind the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Charles View Post
    I'm sorry, but anyone that doesn't want this and is okay with the human element, needs to get with the times. The human element is complete and utter garbage. These players have busted their asses their whole lives to make it to the major leagues and win a World Series and you want them to get their dreams ripped away by some moron umpire that can't do his job right? There is absolutely no argument that can be made to keep these idiots behind the plate.
    The beauty of it is that they can stay behind the plate and do everything else back there...just take the ability to call balls and strikes away from them. No jobs lost, plus all the scrutiny gone...how is this a bad thing? We have the technology readily available. Let's not be stupid and not utilize it.

NYYF Cy Young

I'm going to pithchFX in about 5 min to see the FB% for last night. They use computers for type of pitch, break, release point, strike zone - more than I understand. Some games I watch have a 3D box... MLB should be using this technology. It drive me nuts when a ball is called a strike and puts the batter at a disadvantage. There must be a comparison as to the pitchFX and to actual game. Long overdue. For me this is like letting Pete into the HOF. A real sore point.

NYYF Legend

By the way, if we go to robo umps which strike zone should we use? The rule book one? or the one now established (sort of) by the umps?

Just wondering

Also, since most replays are due to decisions at first base, should we also replace the first base umps with electronic umps? If so, why not use electronics to determine if a batted ball is fair or foul?
    Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

Re: Time for a robo-ump to call balls and strikes, YAY or NAY?

Yay.

Also, the batter's out after 3 foul balls. Put the ball in play or go sit down, son.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Just not sure about this yet. No doubt the results will be better, but I really miss the heated arguments with the umps over blown calls. Houk, Weaver, Martin, Piniella and even Girardi on occasion would blow their top over bad calls and provide some quality entertainment, and entertaining fans is a lot of what it's all about. For sure, it'll work with the next generation of fans.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

As far as the technology goes - I hope there's a way to see where the ball is as it crosses home plate (which should be the true "strike zone") - not where the catcher catches it.

There also needs to be a way for each batter to have his own particular strike zone, based on his size (i.e. Judge & Torreyes).
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Just not sure about this yet. No doubt the results will be better, but I really miss the heated arguments with the umps over blown calls. Houk, Weaver, Martin, Piniella and even Girardi on occasion would blow their top over bad calls and provide some quality entertainment, and entertaining fans is a lot of what it's all about. For sure, it'll work with the next generation of fans.
    There shouldn't be anything illegal with dumping a Gatorade cooler over the RoboUmp's head. Now THAT's Entertainment!

Absolutely.

Not only becuase I think it helps the game move along with more action (pitchers would be forced to throw actually over the plate to get strike calls so hitters could lock in more), but it would greatly help the Yankees who routinely get huge strike zones when batting and tiny strike zones when pitching. It would help Judge the most though. He gets some of the worst balls called strikes Ive ever seen. The guy has a bigger K zone, but you cant call a strike on him shin high, then letter high. Also, yesterday he got called one about 6 inches inside.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    As far as the technology goes - I hope there's a way to see where the ball is as it crosses home plate (which should be the true "strike zone") - not where the catcher catches it.

There also needs to be a way for each batter to have his own particular strike zone, based on his size (i.e. Judge & Torreyes).

This. I was just thinking about Ricky Henderson and his ridiculously small strike zone !
    Last edited by Maynerd; 06-04-18 at 09:13 AM.
    What we can appreciate now is that the Yankees from 1996-2003 were even more extraordinary than we thought.

I guess you'd still have an ump back there to call time or plays at the plate etc.

I'm ok with it at this point. But the human umps don't bother me too much...Its ridiculous but I've always enjoyed watching a pitcher gradually take advantage of a big zone as the game goes along. Of course, only as a neutral or if it benefits my team.

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    I guess you'd still have an ump back there to call time or plays at the plate etc.

I'm ok with it at this point. But the human umps don't bother me too much...Its ridiculous but I've always enjoyed watching a pitcher gradually take advantage of a big zone as the game goes along. Of course, only as a neutral or if it benefits my team.
    Glavine and Maddux come to mind. Sometimes, by the 7th inning, if they were still pitching, the strike zone was past the black on the plate. Little by little, they would widen the strike zone as the game wore on, and get the calls.
    What we can appreciate now is that the Yankees from 1996-2003 were even more extraordinary than we thought.

I remember Jon Lester for the Red Sox getting that call off the plate outside by a good 4-5 inches every game. It was ridiculous. Nearly un-hittable.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Eric Gregg is calling balls and strikes in heaven now.
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/65457...ed-base-genius

Prop have been trying to help umpires for 140+ years
    Youíre inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.í- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

The technology is not yet there to make this switch worthwhile - talk of “infallible robots” is fanciful and unrealistic.
    http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news...31d72sohrmbcnj
    "I'm sorry Smokey, you were over the line, that's a foul....mark it zero Dude, next frame"

The umpire union will fight it to the bitter end.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BigYankeeUnit View Post
    The umpire union will fight it to the bitter end.
    A. Who cares.

B. It makes the job easier. No reason to fight.

This is a total no-brainer. This should already be in the works.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

Thread Information