View Poll Results: Time to use the K-Zone to call balls and strikes

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES (We have the technology, time to use it)

43 76.79%
  • NO (I prefer the human element, good or bad)

13 23.21%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Time for a robo-ump to call balls and strikes, YAY or NAY?

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Taking the extreme example of a very short player, say 5'2", you can't have his armpits be the top of the strike zone because it's extremely difficult to barrel up a baseball in that area, or get the bat around at all.
    I agree. It would be difficult. As would playing any professional sport when you are 5'2. Why does the pitcher have to suffer instead of the 5'2 player?
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    I agree. It would be difficult. As would playing any professional sport when you are 5'2. Why does the pitcher have to suffer instead of the 5'2 player?
    Because pitchers can still get guys out by locating and making good pitches. If Altuve’s strike zone was from his shins to his shoulders, it would be almost impossible for him to hit. Pitchers would suffer the other way as well if the strike zone was standardized. Imagine if a pitcher had to throw the ball between Judge’s thighs and just above his bellybutton to throw a strike? His OBP would be .600 with the small strike zone and him punishing everything that was a strike.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Charles View Post
    Because pitchers can still get guys out by locating and making good pitches. If Altuve’s strike zone was from his shins to his shoulders, it would be almost impossible for him to hit.
    OK. Then go sit out of professional sports because you are a 5'2 grown man. What sport writes rules specifically to assist you with being smaller in statue?

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Charles View Post
    Pitchers would suffer the other way as well if the strike zone was standardized. Imagine if a pitcher had to throw the ball between Judge’s thighs and just above his bellybutton to throw a strike? His OBP would be .600 with the small strike zone and him punishing everything that was a strike.
    I imagine a scenario where it doesn't matter who is standing in the batters box, and pitchers can throw the ball exactly the same way each time.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

The point of the strike zone was, originally, to force pitchers to throw batters hittable pitches and to force batters to swing at said good throws to put the ball in play. That's why the zone changes by batter: a good pitch to a taller batter could be unhittable to a shorter one.

Fun fact: there's a height requirement to play in the MLB thanks to Veeck and Eddie Gaedel
    #HarperWatch

There’s no suffering for the pitcher if he’s 5’2”.

This is what we have to talk about on rainout days.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Two words: Pitching machines.
    Heck, why not just put the ball on a tee.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

This whole thread is rapidly circling around back to a rehash of the Eddie Gaedel story.

Gaedel was 3' 7" ... about two feet shorter than Altuve, and more than three feet shorter than Judge.

I know everyone knows this story, but I can't resist posting this summary of his single plate appearance, from Wikipedia:

Gaedel entered the second half of the doubleheader between the Browns and Detroit Tigers in the bottom of the first inning as a pinch-hitter for leadoff batter Frank Saucier. Immediately, umpire Ed Hurley called for Browns manager Zack Taylor. Veeck and Taylor had the foresight to have a copy of Gaedel's contract on hand,[13] as well as a copy of the Browns' active roster, which had room for Gaedel's addition.

The contract had been filed late in the day on Friday, August 17. Veeck knew the league office would summarily approve the contract upon receipt, and that it would not be scrutinized until Monday, August 20. Upon reading the contract, Hurley motioned for Gaedel to take his place in the batter's box. (As a result of Gaedel's appearance, all contracts must now be approved by the Commissioner of Baseball before a player can appear in a game.) The change to that day's St. Louis Browns scorecard, listing Gaedel and his uniform number, had gone unnoticed by everyone except Harry Mitauer, a writer for the St. Louis Globe-Democrat. The Browns' publicity man shunted Mitauer's inquiry aside.[12]

Gaedel was under strict orders not to attempt to move the bat off his shoulder. When Veeck got the impression that Gaedel might be tempted to swing at a pitch, the owner warned Gaedel that he had taken out a $1 million insurance policy on his life, and that he would be standing on the roof of the stadium with a rifle prepared to kill Gaedel if he even looked like he was going to swing.[12] Veeck had carefully trained Gaedel to assume a tight crouch at the plate; he had measured Gaedel's strike zone in that stance and claimed it was just one and a half inches high.[12] However, when Gaedel came to the plate, he abandoned the crouch he had been taught for a pose that Veeck described as "a fair approximation of Joe DiMaggio's classic style,"[12] leading Veeck to fear he was going to swing. (In the Thurber story, the player with dwarfism cannot resist swinging at a 3-0 pitch, grounds out, and the team loses the game.)

With Bob Cain on the mound—laughing at the absurdity that he actually had to pitch to Gaedel[12]—and catcher Bob Swift catching on his knees, Gaedel took his stance.[1] The Tigers catcher offered his pitcher a piece of strategy: "Keep it low." Cain delivered four consecutive balls, all high (the first two pitches were legitimate attempts at strikes; the last two were half-speed tosses). Gaedel took his base (stopping twice during his trot to bow to the crowd) and was replaced by pinch-runner Jim Delsing. The 18,369 fans gave Gaedel a standing ovation.

NYYF Legend

Re: Time for a robe-ump to call balls and strikes, YAY or NAY?

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Are you upset that basketball has a shot clock instead of a guy standing under the basket counting “one Mississippi...two Mississippi...three Mississippi...”

Why should I be? I am in favor of modern technology, but in it's proper place. I am all for using modern electronics in training batters, pitchers and umpires and in evaluating their performances, but the game is majestic and I fear that it may go to far and destroy the game

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    This whole thread is rapidly circling around back to a rehash of the Eddie Gaedel story.

Gaedel was 3' 7" ... about two feet shorter than Altuve, and more than three feet shorter than Judge.

I know everyone knows this story, but I can't resist posting this summary of his single plate appearance, from Wikipedia:

Gaedel was 3' 7" and 65#'s

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    Gaedel was 3' 7" and 65#'s

Andy
    His weight wouldn't have affected his strike zone, though.

NYYF Legend

I'd love to hear more opinions on why technology shouldn't be used to get the balls and strikes called correctly. 10 people have voted against this, in this poll. I think only two have voiced an opinion. I'd like to hear more reasonings.

With the wide and varied strike zones called by different umps along with missed calls frequently, it only makes sense to have consistency.

It would be better for the pitchers, they would know where to throw the ball. It would be better for the hitters, they would know when to swing and when to keep the bat on their shoulders. It's a no-brainer. I can't understand why anyone would be against this.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I'd love to hear more opinions on why technology shouldn't be used to get the balls and strikes called correctly. 10 people have voted against this, in this poll. I think only two have voiced an opinion. I'd like to hear more reasonings.

With the wide and varied strike zones called by different umps along with missed calls frequently, it only makes sense to have consistency.

It would be better for the pitchers, they would know where to throw the ball. It would be better for the hitters, they would know when to swing and when to keep the bat on their shoulders. It's a no-brainer. I can't understand why anyone would be against this.
    Mostly, it's just not something that bothers me much. I'm OK with it as it is.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Mostly, it's just not something that bothers me much. I'm OK with it as it is.
    Well then... If they went to Robo-Ump to call balls and strikes, would that bother you?
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

NYYF Legend

You watch an AB like that one in the 1st against Judge. It just boggles my mind how anyone can think that's a good thing.

Why would you ever want an umpire to dictate an AB instead of the players on the field?
    Calmer than you are

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Well then... If they went to Robo-Ump to call balls and strikes, would that bother you?
    Some, from time to time. Not as much as the second wild card.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

OK. Then go sit out of professional sports because you are a 5'2 grown man. What sport writes rules specifically to assist you with being smaller in statue?

I imagine a scenario where it doesn't matter who is standing in the batters box, and pitchers can throw the ball exactly the same way each time.
    How is that better?
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    How is that better?
    How is what better?

You take the average height and make that the strike zone. You don't have 50+ different strikes zones to match different player heights.
    Calmer than you are

How is what better?

You take the average height and make that the strike zone. You don't have 50+ different strikes zones to match different player heights.
    This has been an effort worthy of JDPNYY.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    This has been an effort worthy of JDPNYY.
    Meh. It's a small point for me.

We need an automated strike zone. It's really bad for the game of baseball that umpires dictate play. What's more pure than getting rid of umpire's bias and egos?
    Calmer than you are

How is what better?

Because that's the game. The batter is supposed to see pitches in a hittable area, that changes with each batter. As opposed to baseball's cousin cricket where the bowler is trying to hit a physical object in the wickets which the batter is protecting. And even then there's penalties for delivering a ball too high (above the waist).
    #HarperWatch

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    Because that's the game. The batter is supposed to see pitches in a hittable area, that changes with each batter. As opposed to baseball's cousin cricket where the bowler is trying to hit a physical object in the wickets which the batter is protecting. And even then there's penalties for delivering a ball too high (above the waist).
    But the game has evolved from the pitcher being required to put the ball in a place the batter can hit it to the pitcher wanting to put the ball in a place the batter can't hit it. The strike zone should have evolved with it.

The pitcher's job isn't to put the baseball in a place the batter can hit it. It's actually the exact opposite.
    Calmer than you are

But the game has evolved from the pitcher being required to put the ball in a place the batter can hit it to the pitcher wanting to put the ball in a place the batter can't hit it. The strike zone should have evolved with it.

The pitcher's job isn't to put the baseball in a place the batter can hit it. It's actually the exact opposite.
    You're missing the other side of the coin, the batter has a defined area that's best for him to hit it. Strikes exist so the batter can't just sit and wait for the best pitch like the home run derby, like balls exist to get the pitcher to the throw hittable pitches. Of course now with the velocity and breaking/off speed stuff that didn't exist in the 1800s, they can fool batters at swinging outside the zone or blow them away in it. The pitcher has enough tools to get the batter out

Making the strike zone x" to y" is unfair to the hitter. Why do we want to see the pitcher get more of an advantage, they already have enough.
    #HarperWatch

The strike zone should have evolved with it.
    The strike zone is one of the more evolving aspects of the game.

1950 - Armpit to the top of the knee.
    1963 - Top of the shoulder to the knee.
    1969 - Armpit to top of the knee.
    1988 - Midpoint between the top of the shoulder and top of the uniform pants and the top of the knee
    1996 - Midpoint between the top of the shoulder and top of the uniform pants and the bottom of the knee

To be honest, the sides and bottom of the strike zone are pretty well defined, yet these seem to be the areas umpires can't get right. The top of the zone being a midpoint between two easily definable things leaves way too much subject to umpire discretion. Although anymore, it seems this magical midpoint often is defined as the belt.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    The strike zone is one of the more evolving aspects of the game.

1950 - Armpit to the top of the knee.
    1963 - Top of the shoulder to the knee.
    1969 - Armpit to top of the knee.
    1988 - Midpoint between the top of the shoulder and top of the uniform pants and the top of the knee
    1996 - Midpoint between the top of the shoulder and top of the uniform pants and the bottom of the knee

To be honest, the sides and bottom of the strike zone are pretty well defined, yet these seem to be the areas umpires can't get right. The top of the zone being a midpoint between two easily definable things leaves way too much subject to umpire discretion. Although anymore, it seems this magical midpoint often is defined as the belt.
    Also worth noting that despite the zone being a set width, LHHers KZone is historically different than RHHers.
    #HarperWatch

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    You're missing the other side of the coin, the batter has a defined area that's best for him to hit it. Strikes exist so the batter can't just sit and wait for the best pitch like the home run derby, like balls exist to get the pitcher to the throw hittable pitches. Of course now with the velocity and breaking/off speed stuff that didn't exist in the 1800s, they can fool batters at swinging outside the zone or blow them away in it. The pitcher has enough tools to get the batter out

Making the strike zone x" to y" is unfair to the hitter. Why do we want to see the pitcher get more of an advantage, they already have enough.
    How is it fair the pitcher is taxed because the hitter is 5'2?
    Calmer than you are

Thread Information