View Poll Results: Time to use the K-Zone to call balls and strikes

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES (We have the technology, time to use it)

43 76.79%
  • NO (I prefer the human element, good or bad)

13 23.21%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BigYankeeUnit View Post
    The umpire union will fight it to the bitter end.
    The umpire union's power was broken long ago.

NYYF Cy Young

Re: Time for a robo-ump to call balls and strikes, YAY or NAY?

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    A. Who cares.

B. It makes the job easier. No reason to fight.

This is a total no-brainer. This should already be in the works.
    C. Joe Torres, MLP executive to the commissioner, is/was not a fan of the umps calling a bad game

NYYF Legend

Still have a home plate ump who wears an earpiece - makes the ball/strike call based on what he’s told. For traditionalists - everything still looks the same, except the missed calls.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    The umpire union's power was broken long ago.
    who cares? fire them all. Replace them all with computers.
    (okay, most of them. I'm not sure computers can figure out tags just yet)
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

NYYF Legend

I don't get people who don't want this. Explain yourselves.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

They're literally using a version of the technology that would be used to implement an automated balls and strikes to grade the umpires behind the plate right now.

Once they figure out how to adjust in realtime for the variations in player height, stances etc, then it's going to be implemented..
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Once they figure out how to adjust in realtime for the variations in player height, stances etc, then it's going to be implemented..
    There's no adjustment needed to the strike zone for any of that.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

There literally is no downside to this. There will be some unforeseen unintended consequences though that you can only figure out after it is implemented.

But why would you guys want a ball to be called a strike or a strike to be called a ball? Just to make it feel better like humans run the game and can make mistakes? Come on. ID rather this than instant replay or blocking home plate calls which literally did change the whole game.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    There's no adjustment needed to the strike zone for any of that.
    Sure there is.

Aaron Judge can not have the same strike zone as Ronald Torreyes.

What I don't get is how people can want good umps, be in favor of instant replay and not be in favor of this.

At the very least we should have some sort of "egregious" error safety if you think adapting to the ump's zone is part of the game. IE: if the pitch never comes within 2 inches of a strike zone and the pitch is called a strike, it over rides the umps call. Same with strikes called bals (though I'd rather than be tighter).

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    Sure there is.

Aaron Judge can not have the same strike zone as Ronald Torreyes.
    It should. I've never been a fan of the traditional strike zone definition. Why should the pitcher have to adjust to a hitter's height? Strike zone should be the same for everyone.
    Calmer than you are

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    What I don't get is how people can want good umps, be in favor of instant replay and not be in favor of this.

At the very least we should have some sort of "egregious" error safety if you think adapting to the ump's zone is part of the game. IE: if the pitch never comes within 2 inches of a strike zone and the pitch is called a strike, it over rides the umps call. Same with strikes called bals (though I'd rather than be tighter).
    Why do you think that people who voted "no" are necessarily in favor of instant replay?

Why do you think that people who voted "no" are necessarily in favor of instant replay?
    I never said they are.

NYYF Legend

Re: Time for a robe-ump to call balls and strikes, YAY or NAY?

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    By the way, if we go to robo umps which strike zone should we use? The rule book one? or the one now established (sort of) by the umps?

Just wondering

Also, since most replays are due to decisions at first base, should we also replace the first base umps with electronic umps? If so, why not use electronics to determine if a batted ball is fair or foul?
    Andy

We can also implement technology to have an electronic chip in the baseball, the gloves and the bases so all the decisions can be made by electronics and eliminate the umps.

No thanks , we may as well as play the games with robots.

I like the human element as flawed as it might be and I don't want to see it eroded more than it has been with instant replay. I was never a fan of fantasy baseball or computer baseball but it seems as if many of you want to go that way.

No please leave the game alone. I love it the way it is. I loved it when pitchers got away with spitballs, emery balls, the players and or managers kicking dirt on umpires, disputing calls and getting thrown out of games I love the smell of the freshly mown grass when I go to Yankee stadium, I love the sights and sounds of a bat hitting a baseball, I love the chatter of the players and the fans. Take that away and what do we have? Not baseball As I knew it..

Leave the game that I grew up with alone

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    I like the human element as flawed as it might be and I don't want to see it eroded more than it has been with instant replay. I was never a fan of fantasy baseball or computer baseball but it seems as if many of you want to go that way.

No please leave the game alone. I love it the way it is. I loved it when pitchers got away with spitballs, emery balls, the players and or managers kicking dirt on umpires, disputing calls and getting thrown out of games I love the smell of the freshly mown grass when I go to Yankee stadium, I love the sights and sounds of a bat hitting a baseball, I love the chatter of the players and the fans. Take that away and what do we have? Not baseball As I knew it..
    Yeah nobody wants to get rid of that. We want to get rid of these stupid umpires that are ruining the game whether it's with bad calls or trying to make it all about them (Joe West, Angel Hernandez, etc.). Games being decided by these morons instead of it being decided of the players is a laughable thought process.

It should. I've never been a fan of the traditional strike zone definition. Why should the pitcher have to adjust to a hitter's height? Strike zone should be the same for everyone.
    Disagree. Why should a hitter like Judge be penalized for being tall? Even without calling strikes like he was 5'6'', he gets strikes called below the knees. Its crazy. Thats not a strike. The typical strike zone now a days is top knee to belt. Its used to be to the letters. Now thats a high pitch. I think it should be top every one from 5'6'' to 7''.

What? What? What?

Torreyes would get called strikes on pitches over his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Charles View Post
    Yeah nobody wants to get rid of that. We want to get rid of these stupid umpires that are ruining the game whether it's with bad calls or trying to make it all about them (Joe West, Angel Hernandez, etc.). Games being decided by these morons instead of it being decided of the players is a laughable thought process.
    Umpires aren't ruining the game. They're the same umpires that have been used for over 100 years. The difference is that high definition tv, super slow motion and electronic strike boxes are making it easy to unveil their mistakes. A pitch 1 inch out of the strike zone used to be a very close pitch, and now it's a horrible call by a moronic, blind umpire. No question that today's technology can do a better job, but it does change the game by further removing the human element. I can understand anyone, especially the older fans, who would rather keep things the way they are.
    Let the kids play.

Torreyes would get called strikes on pitches over his head.
    ...and Judge would get called strikes on pitches below his shins. (I know,he does already).

Not happening anytime soon...Commissioner, Umpires, and players against it, and there would be insignificant improvement...if any.

“Realistically, how soon could that be implemented and what might get in the way?

“Three, five, 10 years,” Pavlidis said. “It depends on investment and motivation, and the umpire's union won't like it.”

There is truth in that statement. Joe West, the president of the World Umpires Association and a notorious showman who has drawn plenty of ire from fans over the years, echoes a common thought in his distrust of the technology.

“They've tried that, but that machine misses more pitches than we do,” West said recently.”
    "I'm sorry Smokey, you were over the line, that's a foul....mark it zero Dude, next frame"

Quote Originally Posted by Meecham4ever View Post
    Not happening anytime soon...Commissioner, Umpires, and players against it, and there would be insignificant improvement...if any.

“Realistically, how soon could that be implemented and what might get in the way?

“Three, five, 10 years,” Pavlidis said. “It depends on investment and motivation, and the umpire's union won't like it.”

There is truth in that statement. Joe West, the president of the World Umpires Association and a notorious showman who has drawn plenty of ire from fans over the years, echoes a common thought in his distrust of the technology.

“They've tried that, but that machine misses more pitches than we do,” West said recently.”
    Yeah, that's the thing with computers. They can never surpass the element of humans and their propensity to err.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    Disagree. Why should a hitter like Judge be penalized for being tall? Even without calling strikes like he was 5'6'', he gets strikes called below the knees. Its crazy. Thats not a strike. The typical strike zone now a days is top knee to belt. Its used to be to the letters. Now thats a high pitch. I think it should be top every one from 5'6'' to 7''.
    They should just take the average height and standardize the zone. If there are outliers like a Judge or Torreyes then so be it. Far less pitchers would be impacted.
    Calmer than you are

They should just take the average height and standardize the zone. If there are outliers like a Judge or Torreyes then so be it. Far less pitchers would be impacted.
    Like they do for a standard length set of golf clubs.

No.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Like they do for a standard length set of golf clubs.

No.
    Bad analogy. I'm not looking to standardize bat length or weight.
    Calmer than you are

Thread Information