+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Please Make Ryan Ruocco Go Away

Quote Originally Posted by BomberBrian View Post
    I want more Ruocco and less Kay.
    Me too. RR is alright. He does talk too much but he also adds some genuine youth/enthusiasm to one of the oldest and most boring broadcast booths in the game. He also has a grasp of metrics without killing the game. Sterling, Waldman, Flaherty, Leiter, etc. Kay is awful. He's whiny, too much of a homer and repeats himself day after day.

Give me Cone and Singleton every game and I'm in heaven.

Either that or get Vin to agree to sire a cadre of robots who grace every game with his wit, inflection and timing.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    How can the greatest sports franchise in the history of Earth have this man calling games?

It's depressing.
    Umm, it's the same franchise that refuses to upgrade from the embarrassment that is Sterling and Waldman? They make Ruocco look like Mel Allen... And he's filling in for Kay.. What you smokin?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorBimmer View Post
    I agree, Roku is really annoying.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post

Umm, it's the same franchise that refuses to upgrade from the embarrassment that is Sterling and Waldman? They make Ruocco look like Mel Allen... And he's filling in for Kay.. What you smokin?
    Umm, I know. All awful and all add to the embarrassment that is Yankee Broadcasting.

Waldman grunts her way through every game. Her only analysis is that "that got too much of the plate."
    Sterling can't see and is more into shtick than calling the game.
    Those two never give the score and the whole damn radio broadcast is a sponsored mess.

Kay runs a talk show every game. And it's insanely repetitive repetitive. He's also fully and completely overexposed. Everyone has had enough of him.
    Roucco gets fake excited on every play. He's wrong much of the time. He has a squeaky annoying voice and he tries to conduct a talk show during the game just like his hero.

Roucco is not the answer to doing the 40 or 50 games that Kay will be off next year. Those who sorta like him or at least prefer him to Kay will change their tune by this time next year. YES is priming him for nest year.

YES is a disaster. It had so much potential and has failed on every level.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

Umm, I know. All awful and all add to the embarrassment that is Yankee Broadcasting.

Waldman grunts her way through every game. Her only analysis is that "that got too much of the plate."
    Sterling can't see and is more into shtick than calling the game.
    Those two never give the score and the whole damn radio broadcast is a sponsored mess.

Kay runs a talk show every game. And it's insanely repetitive repetitive. He's also fully and completely overexposed. Everyone has had enough of him.
    Roucco gets fake excited on every play. He's wrong much of the time. He has a squeaky annoying voice and he tries to conduct a talk show during the game just like his hero.

Roucco is not the answer to doing the 40 or 50 games that Kay will be off next year. Those who sorta like him or at least prefer him to Kay will change their tune by this time next year. YES is priming him for nest year.

If the Yankees decided to replace Sterling with "Rocky" Ruocco* Iíd be thrilled, for at least half a season. OK, maybe a month.

*for Firesign Theater fans, if there are any.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    If the Yankees decided to replace Sterling with "Rocky" Ruocco* Iíd be thrilled, for at least half a season. OK, maybe a month.

*for Firesign Theater fans, if there are any.
    Never a huge fan though I admit Nick Danger had his virtues.

My favorite thing by them was actually a little throwaway 30-second bit they did where they lampooned AT&T when they had a monopoly, an advertising song where they all sing together "WEEEE DONT KNOW WHAT WE'RE DOOOOOOING!!" Been searching for that for years.

NYYF Legend

(snip for bandwidth's sake)

I pretty much agree with all of this. I actually think young Ruocco might be good someday, but here's the thing: once upon a time if you were him you had to cut your teeth in Davenport Iowa or Sioux Falls South Dakota, do well there and you could move up to Syracuse or Columbus or Biloxi, show you have ability there and maybe after a long apprenticeship you can come to New York.

Now I guess you can start at the top.

And oh yes Suzyn's mouth-farts, which were annoying enough when they first showed up a few years ago, maybe 2 or 3 times a game, are OVERWHELMING the broadcasts now. I'm amazed Sterling who always insists on being "the show" hasn't shut her down, she makes an inarticulate noise on almost EVERY PLAY now. I actually feel bad for Mr. Magoo sometimes, he's squinting and trying to describe the play and Suzyn is moaning over his call.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Never a huge fan though I admit Nick Danger had his virtues.

My favorite thing by them was actually a little throwaway 30-second bit they did where they lampooned AT&T when they had a monopoly, an advertising song where they all sing together "WEEEE DONT KNOW WHAT WE'RE DOOOOOOING!!" Been searching for that for years.
    I was a big fan. "I Think We're All Bozos on This Bus" was probably their best. But if you liked Nick Danger, you gotta admit, "Rocky" Ruocco isnít bad.

I donít know that bit, but Iíve been having trouble finding my favorite phone company ad: Lily Tomlin as Ernestine, wreaking havoc at a switchboard ("We just lost the whole east coastĒ), and ending up with, "We're the phone company. We donít care. We donít have to." Doesnít make sense anymore, of course.

Nice ďIt is high, it is far, it is off the wall." I give him credit for acknowledging it, though.

NYYF Legend

Nice ďIt is high, it is far, it is off the wall." I give him credit for acknowledging it, though.
    He needs to be doing play by play for the Tampa Tarpons when the regular play by play guy has to go to a graduation.

NYYF Legend

I don’t know that bit, but I’ve been having trouble finding my favorite phone company ad: Lily Tomlin as Ernestine, wreaking havoc at a switchboard ("We just lost the whole east coast”), and ending up with, "We're the phone company. We don’t care. We don’t have to." Doesn’t make sense anymore, of course.
    The Firesign "fake ad" was very similar in spirit. After the chorus does its initial bit, a narrator comes in and says something to the effect of, "We're the phone company, you may not like us, but there isn't really much you can do about it. Oh you can call to complain, but you probably wouldn't get through anyway. Just a friendly reminder from your phone company -- THE Phone Company."

Then the chorus again:

We don't know
    we don't know
    WE DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE DOOOOOOOING!

I'd like to hear it again sometime while drinking a nice, sweaty, edible bottle of Bear Whiz Beer. "Bear Whiz -- It's in the water!"

NYYF Legend

He needs to be doing play by play for the Tampa Tarpons when the regular play by play guy has to go to a graduation.
    Over/under on the first time he calls them the Tarpa Tampons -- 5 1/2 innings

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Over/under on the first time he calls them the Tarpa Tampons -- 5 1/2 innings
    pregame

Iíd do it on purpose right away.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BomberBrian View Post
    I want more Ruocco and less Kay.
    Love Ruocco and would take him over Kay. JMO

Rucco is annoying because he tries too hard - sounds like a kid who studies hard for the test and wants to let you know everything he knows. I think he will relax and, consequently, improve over time.

What's up with Flaherty? He's not been on recently (at least I haven't seen much of him). Has Rucco taken over some of his airtime or is he just getting less reps? I didn't like him at all when he started, but he's grown on me and I actually think he is very good.

NYYF Legend

I wish YES would try again on the "Minor League Monday" experiment from the early 2000s when they were new -- games of Yankee minor league affiliates on Yankee nights off.

It would be a perfect vehicle for Ruocco to sharpen up his skills for a few years if they feel he's got potential.

I'm assuming "MLM" failed ratings-wise the first time they tried it but things have changed over 15 years. General interest in MiLB/amateur ball is higher now than it was then. Plus, the Yankee farm system was perceived as weak back then and the organizational model was still to build primarily with trades and free agency. Now the model is known to be to build the core internally and supplement with trades, so I think there's much more interest in their farm teams now.

It's a good gig for a young broadcaster to build "announcer muscles" because you can't count on stars like Aaron Judge or Gary Sanchez to sell the broadcast, you've got to find ways to keep the viewer engaged. This is how good announcers learn.

I know YES won't do it but I wish they would. Better than "CenterStage with guest Pauly Shore" or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Engine Co 17 View Post
    Rucco is annoying because he tries too hard - sounds like a kid who studies hard for the test and wants to let you know everything he knows.
    Good call. Heís like the Tracy Flick of broadcasters.

Other than his extremely irritating voice and the way he pronounces names such as “John Carlo Stanton” what bothers me the most about this tool is that he tries to make every broadcast about himself and his fandom of the team growing up. He’s such a fanboy geek in David Cone’s presence it’s nausiating.

Pretty sure he was some type of intern/coffee boy with ESPN Radio who kissed Kay’s ass repeatedly and got much farther in life than he should’ve based on his talent.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who dislikes this guy.

I will note that Bobby Murcer was a godawful broadcaster when he started. He worked hard and learned. Perhaps thereís hope.

I will note that Bobby Murcer was a godawful broadcaster when he started. He worked hard and learned. Perhaps there’s hope.

I miss..

Thread Information