+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: 2018 Chad Green Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pakimobzta View Post
    And the coincidence continues.

Chad Green has given up runs in 8 games this year... 7 of those have been in games Tanaka started.
    Have to admit, it's very odd.

I think the league has adjusted to Green. They already know his fastball has a lot of rise, and his breaking stuff is marginal. He's become predictable enough that when his pitches get a lot of plate (and they're often middle/middle), major league hitters aren't missing them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tucker View Post
    I think the league has adjusted to Green. They already know his fastball has a lot of rise, and his breaking stuff is marginal. He's become predictable enough that when his pitches get a lot of plate (and they're often middle/middle), major league hitters aren't missing them anymore.
    I mean, his numbers are still great this season, but yeah, he clearly hasn't looked QUITE the same as last season.

That being said, he shouldn't have gone a 2nd inning (or at least been replaced when the inning was getting away from him)

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NYYfan4life90 View Post
    I mean, his numbers are still great this season, but yeah, he clearly hasn't looked QUITE the same as last season.

That being said, he shouldn't have gone a 2nd inning (or at least been replaced when the inning was getting away from him)
    Agreed. He shouldnít have started the 8th at all. He did his job. Itís on Boone (or Rothschild to splash water in Aaronís face) to turn it over to Betances.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

NYYF Legend

His slider hasnít been the same this year. Heís a one pitch pitcher right now.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by nyy42 View Post
    lack of concentration recently
    How do you measure his concentration? Can you see it in his eyes?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    His slider hasnít been the same this year. Heís a one pitch pitcher right now.
    His numbers are very deceiving. Completely different pitcher than he was last year. Lots of loud outs and his fastball is no longer unhittable.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    How do you measure his concentration? Can you see it in his eyes?
    i can see it in his performance.

No other pitcher would have faltered

Getting burned by the long ball. Soto two run homer against Washington (suspended game); Macahdo last week and today. Ideally a slump, but not sure how long he can maintain it going on one pitch.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by LouisLitt View Post
    Getting burned by the long ball. Soto two run homer against Washington (suspended game); Macahdo last week and today. Ideally a slump, but not sure how long he can maintain it going on one pitch.
    Cone was talking about how Green needs to go back to trusting his secondary stuff. He needs to be able to surprise the batters with something off-speed.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Hmm ... Shreve?

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Hmm ... Shreve?
    Shreve ain't a pitcher to me.... he's more of a softball thrower

NYYF Legend

Shreve ain't a pitcher to me.... he's more of a softball thrower
    We need a pitcher, not a belly itcher!

You see his pitches, not his concentration. Fans really have no idea what going n n a pla er's head, or hw it affects his playing. What you see are baseball problems, not mental problems.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Lefties are murdering him. Similar to what happened when he first came up.

Not an easy adjustment, but something that should be correctable.

NYYF Legend

He has absolutely no slider this season. That's really the big difference.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    This. Itís actually a testament to his fastball that heís been able to put up good numbers with just that one pitch.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    I cant speak for the season, but the last 4 outings (back to the shaky Atl outing) he has thrown literally 95% 4 seamers in 100+ pitches. The season on average he averages 88%. So he's throwing his slider less and less as the season progresses. Hes not using it and he's getting burned, primarily by lefties.

TBH, this is way too SSS to draw anything from it.

Edit: Because I'm bored, 4 out of 6 of the HRs hes given up have been on FB, but the 2 he gave up off a slider were in May. He made adjustments and slowly has abandoned his slider due to its possible ineffectiveness.

A new pattern has emerged though. 5 out of 6 of the HRs have been in his second inning of work. The only one that wasn't was the makeup game in WAS.

Again, SSS.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Lefties are murdering him. Similar to what happened when he first came up.

Not an easy adjustment, but something that should be correctable.
    I'd agree.. he needs something to keep hitters honest.. It does not have to be an insane breaker, with how hard the throws..

I've seen Dellin and Chapman hang a ton of breaking balls, but it still buckles the hitter because they have to respect the heater. Green needs something off speed, it does not have to be great and he does not have to throw it a lot, just something he can fool people with every so often so they can't cheat heater all the time..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    I'd agree.. he needs something to keep hitters honest.. It does not have to be an insane breaker, with how hard the throws..

I've seen Dellin and Chapman hang a ton of breaking balls, but it still buckles the hitter because they have to respect the heater. Green needs something off speed, it does not have to be great and he does not have to throw it a lot, just something he can fool people with every so often so they can't cheat heater all the time..
    Yep... and needs to rear back and let that heater fly. There's a big difference between throwing 95-96 (and still missing location) versus lighting up the gun at 98+. Ask Chapman if location really matters when you throw hard enough and mix in a breaking ball from time to time.

Not a TWO inning pitcher! A managers number one job is to put people in a position to succeed!! Do your JOB Boone.
    We don't need another Gerardi forcing innings on a guy who the league has seen for 3 years now and knows very well. Locate the fast ball better and go high out of the zone to finish!
    One Inning!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by doctor dirt View Post
    Not a TWO inning pitcher! A managers number one job is to put people in a position to succeed!! Do your JOB Boone.
    We don't need another Gerardi forcing innings on a guy who the league has seen for 3 years now and knows very well. Locate the fast ball better and go high out of the zone to finish!
    One Inning!
    He did quite well last year in his multi-inning stints. To wipe all that away based on a few poor outings is not quite smart.

Agreed. I don't mind Green multi-innings, but the final game before the AS Break was a curious time to use it.

"To wipe all that away based on a few poor outings is not quite smart".

Point is that the time already put in will effect him more if he gets in stressful situations. The years of use add up quickly when pushing innings on a man.
    The stress comes in the second innings. Whats the point of carrying all of these pitchers if this kid gets called on for two most games.

Their going to wear this kid down by Sept!

Thread Information