+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Re: Embrace debate: Sign Machado, move Andujar to 1B, adios Bird

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    All of this.

I'm excited about the idea of an infield comprised of Bird, Torres, Didi, and Andujar. There's no room there for Manny. Hard pass.

I'm equally excited about an outfield with Judge, Stanton, and Florial. Harper wouldn't be a terrible get, but he's going to be historically expensive.

I'm less enthused with the future state of the rotation. Sevy is dynamite. Tanaka's elbow scares me, more than a little. German is suddenly exciting, but obviously the sample size is miniscule. Sheffield is still a year or two away. CC? Gray? Montgomery? I like them all, but I'm not overly confidant about their success on any given day. If the Yankees are going to spend money to improve an already-excellent team, it needs to be in the rotation. I'll pass on Manny, and on Harper, if it means we can add a top of the rotation starter.

Adding a big-name free agent is great if you're filling a need. The Yankees just have no need for Manny right now, and the need for Harper is dubious, at best.
    I love this post. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Also as the Nats are my NL team, I don't want Harper to leave them.

Machado doesn't fill a need.

At this point replacing Gardner with Harper and rolling with Bird at 1B, Andjuar at 3B and Drury as a super utility player makes more sense than signing Machado.

If they sign Machado, then the simple solution with Andujar is to trade him. He's a great young player and a potential all star, but not at the level of Gleyber, Didi, or Machado. Machado is an upgrade both offensively and defensively. They could probably get some decent pitching for Andujar too given that he has many years of control left. I'd rather see them sign Harper though to replace Gardner if it is an either or situation with the two big FAs.

In terms of the luxury tax...The Yankees are going under this year for the purpose of spending big this upcoming offseason. The Yankees/Red Sox games were the highest rated ones on YES since Jeter's farewell and every game is packed (despite the very high prices). They are pulling in tons of $$$ with this team, so they will spend big to put together a run like they had in the 90s.

In terms of Bird..I think you're probably right about them moving on from him after this year if he is not healthy. It's sad to say, but some guys just can't keep it together over the course of 162 games.

NYYF Legend

It's a pretty good thread but I'm still a little thrown by the "embrace debate" term.

NYYF Legend

Per Hal, there's no need to spend $200M on payroll in order to win. Cashman obviously buys into this proven theory.

Just say NO to $30M per year salaries. It's absurd, and a slap in the face to the working man who now can't afford to go to the ballpark.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by wang+cano=future View Post
    At this point replacing Gardner with Harper and rolling with Bird at 1B, Andjuar at 3B and Drury as a super utility player makes more sense than signing Machado.
    This.
    My Top 100 Films of 2015: http://funnylookinfilms.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    Per Hal, there's no need to spend $200M on payroll in order to win. Cashman obviously buys into this proven theory.

Just say NO to $30M per year salaries. It's absurd, and a slap in the face to the working man who now can't afford to go to the ballpark.
    Only thing that is absurd is this argument. Tickets will be same price regardless. Only question is who's pockets does the $$$ go in to. The players or the owners.
    My Top 100 Films of 2015: http://funnylookinfilms.tumblr.com/

Honestly, I can't get into threads about 2019 when we are in the middle of an historic run like we are now. This is the most exciting regular season I've seen since 1998.

Don't get me wrong, this forum is not here exclusively for my enjoyment. If other people like to talk about 2019, all power to you and have a blast, but I'm too consumed with whats happening now to think about next year, unless its in the context of this year; like trading Andujar in a package for a FOTR SP then signing Machado next year.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    Honestly, I can't get into threads about 2019 when we are in the middle of an historic run like we are now. This is the most exciting regular season I've seen since 1998.

Don't get me wrong, this forum is not here exclusively for my enjoyment. If other people like to talk about 2019, all power to you and have a blast, but I'm too consumed with whats happening now to think about next year, unless its in the context of this year; like trading Andujar in a package for a FOTR SP then signing Machado next year.
    No one is consumed by talking about this, and I doubt posting about Harper and Machado once or twice is taking away any Yankees' fan enjoyment of the current team.

Quote Originally Posted by wang+cano=future View Post

No one is consumed by talking about this, and I doubt posting about Harper and Machado once or twice is taking away any Yankees' fan enjoyment of the current team.
    You misread what I said ...

I didn't say anyone was consumed with this topic.

I said "I am consumed" with this 2018 team and the historic run we are watching.

IOW's its so consumed my attention that its hard for me to think about 2019.

But I don't in any way begrudge others if they want to talk about 2019 too.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

Quote Originally Posted by 21stAmendment View Post
    Only thing that is absurd is this argument. Tickets will be same price regardless. Only question is who's pockets does the $$$ go in to. The players or the owners.
    I'm pretty sure the poster was being facetious.

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post

And people think ownership is going to invest 250M+ for Harper or Machado.

So should the Yankees trade Didi now or let him walk in 2020? It's easy to make ridiculous claims like this when the team is young and the stars are young and relatively cheap but when they hit free agency, is he going to just start all over and let his farmgrown talent walk away?

The only thing this team needs is a FOTR SP. And, we may not even need that before too long if Sheffield comes along quickly. With Judge, Sanchez, Torres, Andujar and Stanton, there's no need to trade off talent for another bat. Would be foolish IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by 21stAmendment View Post
    Amazing how many people don't understand this. Ticket prices would NOT suddenly go down if salaries were magically reduced.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Amazing how many people don't understand this. Ticket prices would NOT suddenly go down if salaries were magically reduced.
    I find it amusing too...
    Tickets are not based on how much players make (or if they are it's an extremely small and loose connection).
    They are based on what people will pay for them. Those empty legends seats? Butts may not be in them, but I'll guarantee they are paid for. If they were not, then the prices come down..

The best way I can explain it is this..

Lets say you are selling your car, and you are asking for 10K. You have a few potential buyers who are willing to meet that price. While you are in the process of selling, you get a big promotion at work, your salary doubles.. Congrats! Would you reduce the selling price of the car since you now have more income? Nope...
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

NYYF Cy Young

No. I want to get another SP (LHP) and extend the contracts for Didi and DR. I love our infield: Andrújar, Didi, Torres, and Bird with Drury (have to see what happens when he returns) as utility and Walker as 1B backup. Save the money for extending Judge and Sanchez. If Bird doesn't work out, which I don't expect I really like Billy McKinney with Mike Ford as 1B backup. (Walker is 1 year deal). Forget Harper, too.

NYYF Legend

So far the Yankees starters are 3rd in RS/GS and 5th in IP/GS. Last year they were 2nd in RS/GS and 4th in IP/GS.

This year they're 1st in R/G but only 5th in OPS+. Last year there were 2nd in R/G and 3rd in OPS+.

Bottom line is that they're good in both hitting AND pitching. If they want to spend big in FA market, I don't really think it has to be certain position like starting pitchers.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    So far the Yankees starters are 3rd in RS/GS and 5th in IP/GS. Last year they were 2nd in RS/GS and 4th in IP/GS.

This year they're 1st in R/G but only 5th in OPS+. Last year there were 2nd in R/G and 3rd in OPS+.

Bottom line is that they're good in both hitting AND pitching. If they want to spend big in FA market, I don't really think it has to be certain position like starting pitchers.
    I do like our rotation - I don't think CC will be back (retire) and Sheffield is not ready so I'd like to get a LHP to go with Monty. We have a nice group of RHP (Germán and I like Tate)

NYYF Legend

Many of you are giving a blanket "spend the $ on an SP" statement. Which SP are you spending the $ on? There's literally no one out there that is semi-interesting.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Many of you are giving a blanket "spend the $ on an SP" statement. Which SP are you spending the $ on? There's literally no one out there that is semi-interesting.
    Agreed........ teams (as they should) put a premium on the high-end starters.
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Kinda off the subject. Just getting back to you. I really don't follow the west coast but the LHP that interests me is Clayton Kershaw if he opts out (expected). My problem is I don't like long deals and expensive (David Price contract). I defer to Brian - he is doing a good job. I like this team and don't want to trade this core (I have not tradeable players and prospects).

No need for Machado or Harper, next year don't resign CC or Gardner, if Frazier is not dealt let him take over in Left or fight Hicks for the CF position, Keep Andujar at 3rd, Drury is a super utility player and can play the OF also, HOPEFULLY Birds injuries will be past him, if not I like the idea of giving McKinney a shot, but my dream would be to trade for Bumgarner but I think the Giants are going to win their division, Hamels or Hernandez could be available at the deadline, but the pitcher I'd love for them to trade for who could be available is Patrick Corbin..he's a free agent so won't cost a lot and wants to be a Yankee so he will resign.. only 28 too..4 yr 80 million should get it done..

Quote Originally Posted by Nj201yanks View Post
    No need for Machado or Harper, next year don't resign CC or Gardner, if Frazier is not dealt let him take over in Left or fight Hicks for the CF position, Keep Andujar at 3rd, Drury is a super utility player and can play the OF also, HOPEFULLY Birds injuries will be past him, if not I like the idea of giving McKinney a shot, but my dream would be to trade for Bumgarner but I think the Giants are going to win their division, Hamels or Hernandez could be available at the deadline, but the pitcher I'd love for them to trade for who could be available is Patrick Corbin..he's a free agent so won't cost a lot and wants to be a Yankee so he will resign.. only 28 too..4 yr 80 million should get it done..
    1) Maybe not Machado now, but Harper is intriguing.

2) I think the Diamondbacks will win their division, but Giants do have a small shot with Bumgarner coming back.

3) Why trade for Corbin if you can just sign him as a FA after this season? Besides, I don't trust Corbin. This is his first year putting up close to elite stats.

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    Kinda off the subject. Just getting back to you. I really don't follow the west coast but the LHP that interests me is Clayton Kershaw if he opts out (expected). My problem is I don't like long deals and expensive (David Price contract). I defer to Brian - he is doing a good job. I like this team and don't want to trade this core (I have not tradeable players and prospects).
    Kershaw hasn't made 30 starts since 2015 and is on the DL now with biceps tendinitis. He used to throw 97 mph and now it is more like 93 mph. He has a 4.35 ERA in the post season. His whip in the playoffs is solid at 1.098. However, he is known for being the guy to choke when it counts most and give up the crushing long ball.

If he opts out of 2 years 70 million I would hate to be the team on the hook for the kind of stupid deal he would want.

Thread Information