+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Re: 2018 - 2019 New York Knicks: Sloe Gin Fiz Edition

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    He did what so many people on random message boards like this have wanted in so long - committing to a full and proper rebuild.

Funny, I recently had a flashback to our Knicks threads here 12+ years ago. I remember trying to come up with scenarios/plans for the Knicks to get out of "cap hell" and somehow the light at the end of the tunnel would always be 3 years away as the years went by.

They finally have a blank slate(!), and it's weird.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42 View Post
    Funny, I recently had a flashback to our Knicks threads here 12+ years ago. I remember trying to come up with scenarios/plans for the Knicks to get out of "cap hell" and somehow the light at the end of the tunnel would always be 3 years away as the years went by.

They finally have a blank slate(!), and it's weird.
    It's also weird that NY is actually a potential destination for desirable free agents. Not sure what will happen this summer, but they've definitely changed the vibe around the Knicks.

I hope the Knicks at least finish with the 3rd worst record in the NBA. The bottom 3 teams have the same lottery chances, but at least theyíll have the most wins of that group.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dannyyankou View Post
    I hope the Knicks at least finish with the 3rd worst record in the NBA. The bottom 3 teams have the same lottery chances, but at least they’ll have the most wins of that group.
    No you don't. They all have the same odds for the top 4 picks, but the team with the worst record can fall no further than 5th. The team with the 3rd worst record - the one that you're rooting for - has a 33% chance of picking 6th or 7th.

EDIT: Never mind, I missed the "at least" part of your post, my bad. Given the way the Knicks have a laughable history of missing out on top picks in the draft either by winning meaningless games or falling in the lottery I'm flat out rooting for the worst record, big time. Especially with the smoothed out odds, it seems almost inevitable that the Knicks are going to get pretty close to a worst case scenario based on how we've been conditioned in prior years.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    No you don't. They all have the same odds for the top 4 picks, but the team with the worst record can fall no further than 5th. The team with the 3rd worst record - the one that you're rooting for - has a 33% chance of picking 6th or 7th.
    Oh I had no idea. Lose, lose, lose!!!

I see Irving hurt his other knee last night so they're doing an MRI today. I hope it's not serious, but the dude seems to get hurt an awful lot. Luckily, it's not the knee he had surgery on last year.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I see Irving hurt his other knee last night so they're doing an MRI today. I hope it's not serious, but the dude seems to get hurt an awful lot. Luckily, it's not the knee he had surgery on last year.
    I was thinking the same thing. I do have some concerns about his health long term.

Also, lots of conjecture on the Knicks being a potential home for Anthony Davis. Seems like they'd have to give up a ton to make that happen - I am curious if they'd give up someone like Zion if they actually got the top pick.

Quote Originally Posted by YFIB View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. I do have some concerns about his health long term.

Also, lots of conjecture on the Knicks being a potential home for Anthony Davis. Seems like they'd have to give up a ton to make that happen - I am curious if they'd give up someone like Zion if they actually got the top pick.
    I think it's a given that they have to give up that top pick for Davis. Frankly, I'm not really that interested in a Davis trade.

NYYF Legend

My least favorite part about this deadline is how everyone is falling all over themselves to call the Celtics winners when they did nothing and watched their 3 Eastern Conf rivals all get (potentially significantly) better.

Philly/Milwaulkee/Toronto didn't even try to trade for Davis, yet they somehow found other options out there. Boston saving everything for AD is kind of making a bet of their own - that they still make it to the Conf Finals this year, that Kyrie stays, that Brandon Ingram doens't finish the year on a tear, that whoever gets the #1 pick doesnt want to trade it for Davis, etc. The Pelicans could easily choose Zion+ over Tatum and picks.

So the Lakers didn't get AD, neither did anyone else. That means the Celtics won and can punt on this season? They could still make the Finals, but they let their road get harder.

Edit: I guess this wasn't about the Knicks and should have gone in the general thread. OH WELL.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    My least favorite part about this deadline is how everyone is falling all over themselves to call the Celtics winners
    say what? I've been hearing the opposite that they totally failed. Nowhere near as bad as the colossal losers LA are but a fail nevertheless

Addicted Member

say what? I've been hearing the opposite that they totally failed. Nowhere near as bad as the colossal losers LA are but a fail nevertheless
    Me too. I was reading just yesterday about how the Celtics were the only contender in the East that didn't get better, and how this could domino if they underperform in the playoffs and Kyrie leaves.

NYYF Legend

I think it's a given that they have to give up that top pick for Davis. Frankly, I'm not really that interested in a Davis trade.
    Agreed. No shot I give up Zion for AD

NYYF Legend

https://theathletic.com/806119/2019/...anthony-davis/

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelph...rs-shine-tough

https://nypost.com/2019/02/07/nba-tr...le-fultz-deal/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.c7f662c73c4e

There are a million more, that was the first few links from googling. Most of the articles do admit to the East getting better, but the Celtics are still somehow winners. As if the trade deadline is primarily about blocking other teams from acquiring AD and not about making your team better

I actually disagree that LA's trade deadline was colossally worse than Boston's (really, how are they any different? you can't force the Pelicans to trade with you, and both teams are clearly marketing their young guys as for sale), but it's kind of besides the point.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I agree, but if it's the 2nd/3rd/4th pick, I definitely consider it, especially they don't think they are realistically getting 2 of Kyrie/Durant/Kawhi. Maybe I'd keep Ja Morant, but I'm not obsessed with Barrett.

NYYF Legend

I agree, but if it's the 2nd/3rd/4th pick, I definitely consider it, especially they don't think they are realistically getting 2 of Kyrie/Durant/Kawhi. Maybe I'd keep Ja Morant, but I'm not obsessed with Barrett.
    With you all the way.

That's a different story, but I have to think real hard about Morant. The Knicks need talent, but they really need good to great guards in order to make it all work. I'm sick and tired of watching poor to mediocre guard play on the Knicks.

Maybe because I was just getting out of high school when they last won the NBA championship, but I'm not really optimistic about getting any of these major free agents. Nor am I optimistic about the draft for that matter. Too much losing in my adult life as a long, suffering Knicks fan has left me a pessimist when it comes to the New York Knickerbockers.

Addicted Member

I suspect the real decision maker is Durant. IF they get Zion (only a 14 percent chance, so likely it doesn't matter) and Durant says "Kyrie is a good guy, but I'll only come to NYC if you get AD on that team with me" - what do you think they do?

NYYF Legend

I suspect the real decision maker is Durant. IF they get Zion (only a 14 percent chance, so likely it doesn't matter) and Durant says "Kyrie is a good guy, but I'll only come to NYC if you get AD on that team with me" - what do you think they do?
    Crazy to say, but I think I’d pass. Let’s not forget that KD will be 31 at the start of this next deal. I really think Zion is going to be a generational talent. I’d rather build a legitimate team through him than put all my eggs in the KD/AD basket.

Again - to say I’d pass on KD and AD (when the Knicks haven’t been able to attract top talent) sounds ridiculous, but that speaks to how I feel about Zion.

He won't. lol

Durant coming here isn't dependent on Davis. If you believe the rumors, he's already made up his mind. And it happened sometime ago. Way before the Davis stuff.

Now, I don't think Durant comes alone. Cause no one is winning a championship by themselves.
    If I had to read the tea leaves, it's Durant/Irving. The rest is up to Mills/Perry. There are multiple ways to go with this.

Durant/Irving and keep you're youth. In that scenario, you have to really hope guys like Knox, Robinson etc... make big strides next year. Veterans are going to want someone they can win now with. Lebron don't like kids and Irving has been complaining about some of young Celtic players.

The problem with Davis, is that he cost a lot of the Knicks youth/picks. The Knicks would need to trade a bunch of their youth not only cause you're trading for a top 5 player but to match salary.

Another option if you're looking for a 3rd star, if not Davis, is maybe Bradley Beal. I don't think he will cost as much as Davis.

I don't think it will happen but I would go with Durant/Leonard. Keep Smith as the PG. If no Zion, draft Barrett/Reddish.
    Another option is, Durant/Leonard draft Morant.

Crazy to say, but I think Iíd pass. Letís not forget that KD will be 31 at the start of this next deal. I really think Zion is going to be a generational talent. Iíd rather build a legitimate team through him than put all my eggs in the KD/AD basket.

Again - to say Iíd pass on KD and AD (when the Knicks havenít been able to attract top talent) sounds ridiculous, but that speaks to how I feel about Zion.

31 isn't old in basketball. Durant will likely still be a top player under the 4 year deal. He has a game that ages well.

Now I would be concerned with someone like Zion Williamson aging. No outside shot and is very reliant on his hops. Like young Derrick Rose.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    He won't. lol

Durant coming here isn't dependent on Davis. If you believe the rumors, he's already made up his mind. And it happened sometime ago. Way before the Davis stuff.

Now, I don't think Durant comes alone. Cause no one is winning a championship by themselves.
    If I had to read the tea leaves, it's Durant/Irving. The rest is up to Mills/Perry. There are multiple ways to go with this.

Durant/Irving and keep you're youth. In that scenario, you have to really hope guys like Knox, Robinson etc... make big strides next year. Veterans are going to want someone they can win now with. Lebron don't like kids and Irving has been complaining about some of young Celtic players.

The problem with Davis, is that he cost a lot of the Knicks youth/picks. The Knicks would need to trade a bunch of their youth not only cause you're trading for a top 5 player but to match salary.

Another option if you're looking for a 3rd star, if not Davis, is maybe Bradley Beal. I don't think he will cost as much as Davis.

I don't think it will happen but I would go with Durant/Leonard. Keep Smith as the PG. If no Zion, draft Barrett/Reddish.
    Another option is, Durant/Leonard draft Morant.
    The way the NBA works now, I think Durant (assuming he comes) will have a big say in what the rest of the team looks like.

Regarding Durant, some of you are setting yourself up for some major disappointment. This is the New York Knicks we're talking about. Furthermore, I doubt any of these upcoming free agents have made up their minds right now. A lot can change in the next 4 months or so.

NYYF Legend

Maybe because I was just getting out of high school when they last won the NBA championship, but I'm not really optimistic about getting any of these major free agents. Nor am I optimistic about the draft for that matter. Too much losing in my adult life as a long, suffering Knicks fan has left me a pessimist when it comes to the New York Knickerbockers.
    And why would you be? No reason for any sane person to be completely optimistic. Most likely scenario is no bigs sign and we fall to #5 in the draft lottery. Of course if KD has any balls he'll take on the project and maybe we at least get the #2 pick.

But what people really need to understand is KP was going to leave us high and dry one way or another. He did not want to be here and he probably can't stay on the court for a full season anyways

NYYF Legend

Oh and I love Perry and believe in him but the dysfunction is still there in Knicks corp. In the past weeks Steve Mils's brother has been calling talk radio stations to shoot the breeze as a regular caller

Thread Information