+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2018 - 2019 New York Knicks: Sloe Gin Fiz Edition

Jesus Christ, Bob Myers just gave a really weird crying press conference where he implied KD had a bad Achilles injury...

GS expects tomorrow's MRI to reveal a torn Achilles. Well there goes the KD dream. This franchise can NEVER have nice things.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    GS expects tomorrow's MRI to reveal a torn Achilles. Well there goes the KD dream. This franchise can NEVER have nice things.
    Can't believe the guy came back, only for that to happen. Hopefully it isn't a full tear, but it doesn't look good at this point. Have to feel badly for the guy.

As for the Knicks -- it could always be worse. Imagine if they had signed Durant and Kyrie, only to have Durant go down in a Hayward-esque first game with the team. Kyrie and the kids would be a mess, and they'd be stuck with those contracts.

If it's a full tear, it's a huge disappointment though. It's going to shake up FA, the potential approach to AD, and the whole NBA offseason.

Not a smart decision for him to come back and play on that. The Warriors were lying. It was an Achilles the whole time. I doubt the Warriors had his best interest in mind. They were down 3-1 and obviously needed him. They knew he was on the way out the door so they didn't care.

Should have sat this one out and got ready for free agency.

NYYF Legend

This is such a gut punch. I actually thought they had a chance of signing KD.

Now they need to continue to suck, build up the young players and rent out cap space.

Trading for AD and complimenting him with a guy like Middleton doesnít do anything for me. Pass.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    This is such a gut punch. I actually thought they had a chance of signing KD.

Now they need to continue to suck, build up the young players and rent out cap space.

Trading for AD and complimenting him with a guy like Middleton doesnít do anything for me. Pass.
    The only way I can justify trading for AD is if Kawhi will come to the Knicks - which I doubt. Otherwise you are losing too many pieces for it to matter.

This will affect so many things this offseason, between the FA market, AD trade market, draft...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    Not a smart decision for him to come back and play on that. The Warriors were lying. It was an Achilles the whole time. I doubt the Warriors had his best interest in mind. They were down 3-1 and obviously needed him. They knew he was on the way out the door so they didn't care.

I don't really agree with this stuff. First of all, it's basically accusing doctors of malpractice. Second, it was a Finals elimination game. If KD goes to the Knicks (or anywhere outside GS), the odds are probably against him getting to a finals ever again. He's gonna be fine money wise regardless.

Sometimes ................ty stuff just happens. The sports blame world is too much. If he doesn't play, the warriors probably lose, and the press/fans murder him for not caring enough and prioritizing going to a losing team in FA over winning a title

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I may have misunderstood him - he may have meant that the prospective players wouldnít agree to come in for a meeting with NO unless they knew NO had another pick.
    You definitely misunderstood. In addition to Zion, the Pelicans have already met with Morant and Jarrett Culver.

NYYF Legend

Hindsight is always 20/20
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Hindsight is always 20/20
    I assumed it was a calf cause that's what the Warriors put out there. Durant/agent would know the exact injury. However, IF I was him and his agent, and knew all along it was an Achilles, I'm not risking the rest of my career for a team I'm leaving anyway. I have my two rings and we're down 3-1.

NYYF Legend

I assumed it was a calf cause that's what the Warriors put out there. Durant/agent would know the exact injury. However, IF I was him and his agent, and knew all along it was an Achilles, I'm not risking the rest of my career for a team I'm leaving anyway. I have my two rings and we're down 3-1.
    The injury was a calf. At least that's what the Warriors have said all along and Durant had the same calf injury where he was out 7 days either last year or the year before. Obviosly this one was worse than that one and there was an Achilles risk which turned out to be worst case scenario. But JHC he's a basketball player who wants to be remembered as one of the best of all time and what better way than to come back from injury and lead his team to a 3-peat while overcoming a 3-1 hole.

As for KD his career earnings to date are $160M its estimated that his Nike deal alone is worth another $300M that after his last Nike deal paid him $60M. And he has other business interests and endorsements on top of that.

Add in he has a player option for $31M where he can rehab all of next year and renter FA next year or go into FA this year and likely still wind up with a max deal from GSW or a max deal form anyone of 3 or 4 other teams who would be happy to sign him for 4 years even if it means sitting out all next year, I think KD will OK.
    Baseball is life;

I think I would still sign him if he wants to come. With the belief that he will not likely be a top 5 player again but top 15. A Durant at 80% of his former self is still a very good player. What it means though, is more talent needs to be around him.

NYYF Legend

I think I would still sign him if he wants to come. With the belief that he will not likely be a top 5 player again but top 15. A Durant at 80% of his former self is still a very good player. What it means though, is more talent needs to be around him.
    This is where I am too, as crazy as it sounds saying it out loud.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

I would too, but the problem is the scenario for him coming here doesnt make as much sense. So he eats up $35m+ of the cap to not play- do you really trade everything for AD to put him on a bad team for a year so you hope he sticks around for post-Achilles Durant? Maybe? Does the 2nd star want to sign to play for a durant-less, hobbled team?

Durant will know these things are less likely, so unless nobody else offers him the max, he is probably less likely to come.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    I would too, but the problem is the scenario for him coming here doesnt make as much sense. So he eats up $35m+ of the cap to not play- do you really trade everything for AD to put him on a bad team for a year so you hope he sticks around for post-Achilles Durant? Maybe? Does the 2nd star want to sign to play for a durant-less, hobbled team?

Durant will know these things are less likely, so unless nobody else offers him the max, he is probably less likely to come.
    I agree with this. I don't know that a second max FA is going to come into this situation for a year without AD, and if you trade everything for AD, your setting him up for a brutal year - not sure that would convince him to stick around long term.

I suspect Durant is taking his option year with the Warriors and rehabbing next year.

Woj is reporting Durant opting in is the last resort.

NYYF Legend

Woj is reporting Durant opting in is the last resort.
    I suspect it wonít come to that. But Iím sure his agent will have a strong feel for the market and signature ready contract from some team for 7/1 12:01 eastern before the 6/29 opt in deadline.
    Baseball is life;

I suspect it wonít come to that. But Iím sure his agent will have a strong feel for the market and signature ready contract from some team for 7/1 12:01 eastern before the 6/29 opt in deadline.
    Yeah, it's been reported already that multiple team will still give him the max. If the Knicks were favorites prior to the injury, I would think they still are. If they still want him.

NYYF Legend

Yeah, it's been reported already that multiple team will still give him the max. If the Knicks were favorites prior to the injury, I would think they still are. If they still want him.
    I think it may depend on if the Warriors are still willing to offer him the 5 year max extension. If they do I now think he signs it. Heís going to have Willis Reed status in Golden State now after going out in G5 risking and sustaining injury like he did if stays.

Plus GSW has all his medicals and just went through the same process with Boogie this year.
    Baseball is life;

I suppose they could sign him, spend another year "developing", flip some combo of DSJ/Knox/Trier/Dotson/Frank for picks or a complementary piece, and then sign AD in free agency. The only guy on the payroll for 2020/21 right now is Mitch.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42 View Post
    I suppose they could sign him, spend another year "developing", flip some combo of DSJ/Knox/Trier/Dotson/Frank for picks or a complementary piece, and then sign AD in free agency. The only guy on the payroll for 2020/21 right now is Mitch.
    I image something like that would be the plan if they sign KD. I can't imagine the 2nd super max player that's been discusses is going to want to come to NYK next year as a throw away year with KD set to miss well all of it.

It's actually a pretty good plan because unless AD gets traded to the Lakers it would pretty much be between the Knicks and Lakers as to where he would sign as a FA assuming both still had room to sign a max player and the overtures from ADs camp are true about where he wants to play.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

It's actually a pretty good plan because unless AD gets traded to the Lakers it would pretty much be between the Knicks and Lakers as to where he would sign as a FA assuming both still had room to sign a max player and the overtures from ADs camp are true about where he wants to play.
    You're crazy if you think Durant is even considering playing on the same team as LeBoon James

NYYF Legend

I'm totally on board with signing KD while tanking an additional year for a good pick. That's actually a phenomenal strategy. It's not like the cap space they're spending on KD next season makes a difference.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    You're crazy if you think Durant is even considering playing on the same team as LeBoon James
    No Anthony Davis has said he wants to got to Knicks or Lakers. That's who I was referring to in response to P42.

If AD gets traded to Lakers, good chance he signs an extension. If he gets traded to Podunk USA or stays in NO then it's pretty much 50/50 whether he signs with NYK or LAL as a FA next season.

So the plan P42 laid out was sign Durant, tank/develop 2019-20, keep max slot open for AD next year. I was saying that's not a bad plan.
    Baseball is life;

I don't think the Knicks should go after Kevin Durant. And I don't understand what Kawhi Leonard isn't being mentioned as somebody the Knicks can go after

Thread Information